When to expect the Sherman,Thomas and Baldwin extensions?

King Dog

Reaction score
Other than Bennett, McDaniel and Hauschka, we went dumpster diving, let players walk and pinched our penny's in FA despite a 7-10M cap increase. When are you guys anticipating we extend Sherman, Thomas and Baldwin?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I will be extremely confused and kinda frustrated if we don't see an Earl Thomas extension sometime before Training Camp.

OP
OP
K

King Dog

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3k0eymdl said:
Baldwin extension? I didn't know he was a stated priority for the team to extend.
Ohhhh. I just assumed since we haven't done much, he was a priority.

dunceface

Reaction score
I think jblaze put it quite nicely in that other Allen thread...

jblaze":17a2bknp said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Extensions are not time sensitive, they can be done anytime including during the next season if need be. Prudence dictates we figure out our FA situation with Allen and others before we spend the rest of our cap. Once we figure out Allen and if/when we grab a role playing OL or two, we are probably set at that point with the exception of the draft but you can estimate those salaries with certainty so those are known.

At that point you work on extensions. They know about how much it will take to extend Thomas (roughly 10m/yr) and Sherman (roughly 12m/yr) but the negotiations need to take place. Thomas won't be that big of a problem at all because he's set to count 5m against the cap with his old CBA deal this year anyways and if we extend him, his cap hit will likely be right around there for year 1 so it's a net neutral to the cap. Sherman on the other hand will be a huge bump and likely why we're still holding 15m in cap right now.

Both are certainly doable this offseason and I'd predict they do get done before training camp. JS/PC have made a lot of statements and they are standing by those statements by paying their own who work hard and show up. However, let's all exercise a little bit of patience right now, we're still early in the offseason.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
SuperFreak":3glbyg36 said:
When does Pete Carroll get an extension?
It may have already happened and we don't know about it.

Witness John Schneider a year or so ago.

How many knew then?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I would expect it in late April.

The timing generally coincides with the end of the UFA signing period. It allows for the late cuts as teams try to manage their cap (not unlike Jackson now). I expect we already have our extensions 'spoken for' internally. Only special opportunities would change that at this point. Remember, we made the trade for Harvin in April late -- and part of that was because we had flexibility with our cap because we hadn't committed our cap to extensions yet.

A smart team will do the extensions before the draft but as close to it as possible. It allows the greatest flexibility to add talent late from teams that need relief or can't resign their good players at the tail end of their rookie contracts.

Once the draft is concluded -- it's hard to work on these things. So much effort is spent gearing up for the season. It's a distraction for both player and team.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
When they decide too sign for dirt cheap contracts... there all products of Pete! We are talking over 100 million dollars when signing Sherman and Thomas, so It will take some time. So I would not get your panties in a bunch if it doesn't happen quickly.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
People need to prepare for the strong possibility that nobody gets extended this off-season. It isn't easy to do.

dunceface

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":246hgo1q said:
People need to prepare for the strong possibility that nobody gets extended this off-season. It isn't easy to do.

Oh jeez somebody put Blitzer on suicide watch...

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":16y6ova7 said:

That's a fair statement. We shouldn't expect anything.

It is still reasonable to believe Thomas or Sherman gets extended this off-season.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
Extension? Earl Thomas tweet 1 hour ago.

Earl_Thomas Earl Thomas
Today feels like Christmas...
about an hour ago

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3pdvrpl9 said:
Extension? Earl Thomas tweet 1 hour ago.

Earl_Thomas Earl Thomas
Today feels like Christmas...
about an hour ago

Rapoport claims it has nothing to do with that. Fingers crossed anyway.

Kooshster

Reaction score
Suppose the Carroll extension is what Schneider's been working on since the major FA period's ended (if not before). Now that that's in the bag, the pair can turn their attention to Earl, Sherman, et al. :D

RiverDog

Reaction score
Kooshster":1zyryeyp said:
Suppose the Carroll extension is what Schneider's been working on since the major FA period's ended (if not before). Now that that's in the bag, the pair can turn their attention to Earl, Sherman, et al. :D

It would surprise me if John Schneider was that involved in extending Pete's contract. That one was probably negotiated by Peter Loughlin and the old man himself.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Kooshster":115sbdvc said:

I doubt that. I would expect Carroll's extension came from the top, especially since Pete was involved in the hiring process for Schneider. Why would they want Schneider wasting his time on a contract that has no salary cap implications, where the amount is solely determined by Paul Allen? I could be wrong though. I think it would be different if Schneider had been established in Seattle prior to Pete arriving.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
Kooshster":1gykwqgm said:

As Executive Vice President of the Seahawks, Carroll doesn't answer to Schneider.

Latest posts