When to expect the Sherman,Thomas and Baldwin extensions?

Kooshster

Reaction score
Seanhawk":h0893w2t said:
Kooshster":h0893w2t said:
Suppose the Carroll extension is what Schneider's been working on since the major FA period's ended (if not before). Now that that's in the bag, the pair can turn their attention to Earl, Sherman, et al. :D

I doubt that. I would expect Carroll's extension came from the top, especially since Pete was involved in the hiring process for Schneider. Why would they want Schneider wasting his time on a contract that has no salary cap implications, where the amount is solely determined by Paul Allen? I could be wrong though. I think it would be different if Schneider had been established in Seattle prior to Pete arriving.

That's a fair counter-point. I suppose that even though Carroll was heavily involved with bringing Schneider in, I assumed JS still to be involved in all contract negotiations. However, it's very likely that Carroll's negotiations may be strictly between Allen and Carroll.

edogg23

Reaction score
Question about extensions... When they sign an extension does it go into effect for this year or does their existing salary remain until their original contract is over?

jblaze

Reaction score
edogg23":qjbcrgyf said:
Question about extensions... When they sign an extension does it go into effect for this year or does their existing salary remain until their original contract is over?

It basically rips up their old contract and creates a new one. So Pete's 7m due in 2014 is voided and they sign a new contract which takes effect 2014 through however long it's for.

Pete gets a raise! :) Personally I hope it's for tops in the league.

The thing about Pete coming back to the NFL was that he wanted to prove that he could do what he did in USC in the NFL. By treating players with respect, taking a more holistic and whole person approach to coaching and player development and creating an atmosphere of constant competition and that no one is greater than the team.

He's proven it can work in the NFL and I believe that was his biggest driving factor in coming back to the NFL. It's likely this is his last contract in football period.

He's changing the paradigm of how coaches coach. I believe the days of yelling at your players and being a disciplinarian are coming to an end, you have to work WITH people to get the most out of them. This is partially a cultural thing with millenials and generation Y'ers. They react to these things differently than previous generations.

Personally I love to see it. It's truly a progression of cooperation, symbiosis and in the spirit of being team players.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I would expect Sherman and Thomas to get extended sometime before training camp likely May/June. They don't have to do anything with Baldwin being he's RFA.

edogg23

Reaction score
The huge gap between what Sherman will make this year and what he will make in his next contract might be enough for them to wait and sign him next year. Let assume there is going to be at least a 10 million dollar difference this year between what Sherman is going to make and what he would make if he extended/restructured. They could do the restructure/extension now for 12 million a year for 6 years (including this year), or let him play the whole year on his current salary and compete for him in free agency and go up to 14 million a year for 5 years and end up paying the same amount of money. This way they could hope to still land him for 12 mil and year and actually save 10 million over what they would have had to pay him extending him early.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I don't think Baldwin is getting an extension honestly. I think he will hit the market, get a discount offer from us and a market value from another team (See Tate, Golden)

Thomas' deal I see getting done before camp. Sherman's .. I dunno.. hope his gets done, but wouldn't surprise me if he's tagged

jblaze

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure about Baldwin. My guess is he plays under his RFA tender this year and hits the market next year.

We'll draft several WR's this year with the deep draft and use them in his place next year.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
Pete's interview after his new contract presser mentioned "big negotiations" that will be announced in due time.

nwgamer

Reaction score
He's changing the paradigm of how coaches coach. I believe the days of yelling at your players and being a disciplinarian are coming to an end, you have to work WITH people to get the most out of them. This is partially a cultural thing with millenials and generation Y'ers. They react to these things differently than previous generations.

Personally I love to see it. It's truly a progression of cooperation, symbiosis and in the spirit of being team players.

Well said Blaze. :th2thumbs:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 9m
John Schneider: "There are a couple of young core players that we're going to try to get done here soon"

Latest posts