When will we hold Pete accountable for

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3didlu2t said:
bevellisthedevil":3didlu2t said:
RolandDeschain":3didlu2t said:
It's hilarious how many people think that because we're better than average, it means we shouldn't hope for maximizing our talent. Be happy with what we have!...Why? If Bill Belichick thought that way, he'd have like only two rings at most.

Pete maximizes effort and minimizes talent. He has always been that way. I like Pete as a motivator but that's about it.

How much talent do you think this team rolled out there tonight?

Top 5 in the NFL talent?

No, middle of the pack talent and he maximized their effort. However, when we had our superbowl roster, he could have unleashed a once in a generation type team if he would have had any type of imagination or if he wouldn't have been so conservative with Wilson.

If you have the tools to get a lead or extend a lead why play down to every opponent? Why not game plan for your opponent instead of trying to instill your will with lesser talent?

cymatica

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3k7vifex said:
cymatica":3k7vifex said:
Flyingsquad23":3k7vifex said:
If a team loses a one score game does it matter how they got there? With Pete’s “philosophy “ the team is in position to win more times than not. At the end of the day execution of the plan is the difference. I’ve seen many of the solutions offered up here not pan out.

Guess you missed the op and linked tweet, along with the entire point of the thread

Holding Pete accountable, got it. None of us here have any ability to hold Pete or any player “accountable “

The link showing three games the Hawks lost by one score, got it. Which is why I asked if it mattered how they got there. I simply contend that the Hawks could put up 30 in the first half and lose the game by one possession, first half scoring whether few or many doesn’t determine the final outcome.

You obviously don't "got it". Losing by one score is not the point. First half scoring does matter, and starting the game looking unprepared and slow time after time only makes it tougher to finish games out.

John63

Reaction score
Let me help, you can win the game in the first half you can score, gain confidence, demoralize the other team and most importantly control the tempo, and out come. But most importantly you can take the officiating, luck plays, and crowd out of it. PC does not do it and in fact hinders it.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
John63":2tanzdnk said:
Let me help, you can win the game in the qst half you can score, gain confidence, demoralize the other team and most importantly control the tempo, and out come. But most importantly you can take the officiating, luck plays, and crowd out of it. PC does not do it and in fact hinders it.

For one you’re not helping anyone, now tell me how the Texans gained confidence and demoralized their opponent and controlled the tempo and the “outcome” of the game by scoring 24 in the first quarter.

cymatica

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2bxqjroy said:
John63":2bxqjroy said:
Let me help, you can win the game in the qst half you can score, gain confidence, demoralize the other team and most importantly control the tempo, and out come. But most importantly you can take the officiating, luck plays, and crowd out of it. PC does not do it and in fact hinders it.

For one you’re not helping anyone, now tell me how the Texans gained confidence and demoralized their opponent and controlled the tempo and the “outcome” of the game by scoring 24 in the first quarter.

Tell me how a PC team with a 2-5 record and -99 point differential in the first half of divisional round games is a recipe for success. Being down 20 pts on avg in the first half indicates something is wrong with the gameplan

John63

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":20523gx5 said:
John63":20523gx5 said:

Oh by the way I said first half not qtr.
How about the Tennessee game 14 points first half guess what that's all the needed and then the got more. Forced jackson to do things he cant do. The point is you can accomplish alot in the 1st half oh and fyi the score at half time of the KC game was 28-24

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
cymatica":zw9iscit said:
Flyingsquad23":zw9iscit said:
John63":zw9iscit said:

Tell me how a PC team with a 2-5 record and -99 point differential in the first half of divisional round games is a recipe for success. Being down 20 pts on avg in the first half indicates something is wrong with the gameplan

Well, 2007 & 2010 were Hasselbeck years one 7-9 team on the road in cold weather and the other on the road against 13-3 Favre packers team that had Ryan Grant run for 200 yards.

2012 & 2015 also on the road against the 13-3 Falcons and the 15-1 Panthers had a combined 5 turnovers 1 pick six and a missed FG.

So yes, playing one of the 8 best teams on the road with everything on the line is hard. But as we all know Pete does it his way, the same game plans that put them in the hole were also the game plans that got them to the divisional round. So I would say it is more likely faulty execution than faulty game plan.

John63

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":j7nex2n5 said:
cymatica":j7nex2n5 said:
Flyingsquad23":j7nex2n5 said:
John63":j7nex2n5 said:

Well, 2007 & 2010 were Hasselbeck years one 7-9 team on the road in cold weather and the other on the road against 13-3 Favre packers team that had Ryan Grant run for 200 yards.

2012 & 2015 also on the road against the 13-3 Falcons and the 15-1 Panthers had a combined 5 turnovers 1 pick six and a missed FG.

So yes, playing one of the 8 best teams on the road with everything on the line is hard. But as we all know Pete does it his way, the same game plans that put them in the hole were also the game plans that got them to the divisional round. So I would say it is more likely faulty execution than faulty game plan.

Except that way revolves around keeping it close and winning in the.end with our QB. But when you wait to long and loose that is the coach not execution. Last week.he changed right away. This week he waited and it burned ua.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
4:54 and three T.O. Down 5 on the road with the ball in Russ’s hands. Pete,Russ and the Hawks have made that formula work more often than not.

quadsas

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2fcibp0c said:
4:54 and three T.O. Down 5 on the road with the ball in Russ’s hands. Pete,Russ and the Hawks have made that formula work more often than not.

Sounds like a coaching problem that Russell has to fix every single time.

John63

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":oihbqo19 said:

Imagine how many more we would have won if we started fast like we Finnish.

John63

Reaction score
quadsas":35i0r1ym said:
Flyingsquad23":35i0r1ym said:

Sounds like a coaching problem that Russell has to fix every single time.

Exactly.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2o79tndc said:
Holding Pete accountable, got it. None of us here have any ability to hold Pete or any player “accountable “

The link showing three games the Hawks lost by one score, got it. Which is why I asked if it mattered how they got there. I simply contend that the Hawks could put up 30 in the first half and lose the game by one possession, first half scoring whether few or many doesn’t determine the final outcome.
Cymatica is right, you really don't get it. How you get somewhere matters. How can you pretend that being super-ineffective in the first half has no effect on the outcomes of games? Also, that "we" in my OP is an all-inclusive kind of thing. The media could certainly hold him accountable. I can't even remember the last time a member of the media really asked Pete tough questions. They're all a bunch of passive-aggressive "nice guys". We need some NYC-style reporting action going on here.

Jazzhawk":2o79tndc said:
RolandDeschain":2o79tndc said:
When will we hold Pete accountable for Conservative first halves?

Seriously, how do "WE" hold Pete accountable? That's mighty big of you and totally filled with delusions of grandeur, which we've come to expect from you.
As stated in my above reply, the media could. The use of "we" is meant to indicate everyone outside the Seahawks organization. Hate on me if you want, but the evidence is very compelling in a negative way about our first half tendencies. Pete lost the team and had to re-tool once before. This MIGHT be starting to happen again.

bbsplitter":2o79tndc said:
When will "we" hold him accountable?
Until we are the owner? Never.
Just imagine being a Green Bay fan and ACTUALLY OWN (part of) THE TEAM, and have to watch a McCarthy defense year in and year out loooooool.
Even then, the Packers forum never mattered.
It's cute how many of you take the word "we" overly literally.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
So tell me Roland since you’re the smartest guy on this whole site, if the Hawks score 30 in the first half and lose on a last second FG does the L feel different, do they get to play on because they scored a bunch in the first half.
The only and I mean the only score that ever matters is the game winning score. Which in this case came on the Packers first possession of the 3rd qtr. at 4:54 of the 4th the Hawks had the ball with a chance to win, how they got there was irrelevant at that moment. I would also add that because of good clock management the Hawks had a chance at 2:19 & 2:00 for the D to stop the Pack on 3rd down to have yet another chance to make all the plays that came before irrelevant.

hawk45

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":19rc22q1 said:
So tell me Roland since you’re the smartest guy on this whole site, if the Hawks score 30 in the first half and lose on a last second FG does the L feel different, do they get to play on because they scored a bunch in the first half.
The only and I mean the only score that ever matters is the game winning score. Which in this case came on the Packers first possession of the 3rd qtr. at 4:54 of the 4th the Hawks had the ball with a chance to win, how they got there was irrelevant at that moment. I would also add that because of good clock management the Hawks had a chance at 2:19 & 2:00 for the D to stop the Pack on 3rd down to have yet another chance to make all the plays that came before irrelevant.
If we laud Pete and his teams for their resilience in the fourth quarter, which we do, then it’s quite fair to throw a tomato or two at him and his teams for their conspicuous lack of readiness and mental toughness in the first half.
He’s had a lot of success and he’s our best chance, but I’d our team puts up even one TD, or one more stop, in the first half then the Herculean comeback becomes manageable. You spot teams an entire half and that’s how your season relies on Malik freaking Turner and your awful third down defense to save it.

Russ notches another clutch victory Last night with a first half where even a little football is played.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Just to be clear I’m not against scoring in the first half, I just contend that scoring in the first half doesn’t guarantee anything in the 2nd half.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2llhszmx said:
Just to be clear I’m not against scoring in the first half, I just contend that scoring in the first half doesn’t guarantee anything in the 2nd half.

Bunch of quick scoring in the first half, you go up 24-0. And then your defense sucks so they just sling it like crazy and get it all back.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, it guarantees that you will have a better chance at winning if actually score points in the 1st half. Not having to rely on your QB to save the day over and over again. An ugly first half has been a HUGE issue for a long while. It bit them, big time.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":17rgtsx2 said:

This is correct.

The only dispute/concern in my opinion is why the deficit tends to be so large.

Petes plan is clearly a very good one. But it has a small margin of error.

He needs a better phase 1. Seattle needs him as their coach though. People overreacting here are doing so to one facet of many that he does as good if not better than some of the best coaches around, maybe ever.