Where are all these unrealistic expectations coming from?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
It's RWs 3rd year.
Harvin is finally healthy
Seahawks won SB 43-8 and started off real strong vs Packers

= High Expectations

Skansi82

Reaction score
Because many experts would of told you that we had one of the most talented rosters in NFL history last season. At least our defense was up there with the greatest of all time.

We luckily came home with the Superbowl but in my opinion we played worst than we should of last year, mainly due to the offensive line and piss poor play calling.

Now that our defense is gone and our Offense still hasn't come anywhere close to it's potential... in fact it seems to have taken a step back... well ya it's time to panic if you knew our potential last year and how far we are from that this year.

I'm drunk and multi-tasking so this isn't coming out cleanly...

But what I'm trying to say is that last year we should of whooped every single team we played. If anything we underachieved last season as crazy as it sounds... but if you think about it we had BY FAR HANDS DOWN NO COMPARISON THE BEST ROSTER TOP TO BOTTOM...

Yet we almost lost many games, and came about as close as you could to lose to SF in the playoffs...

The next time you decide to wrestle a half-gallon of cheap vodka put away your computer, and get some of your bitterness out by playing Call of Duty or something. Experts said we had "one of the most talented rosters in NFL history" last year? Who said that? All year long "the experts" talked about our short QB, inability to score, lack of a passing game, etc. "One of the most talented rosters in NFL history" started Paul McQuistan in 14 games and Michael Bowie in 8? Really?

Last year we stayed relatively healthy and made big plays at key times, this year we have done neither. You could be totally right, and the season could be going down the drain. Or we could start getting bounces/making big plays, and get some momentum in the other direction, only time will tell. In the meantime I'll consider my Seahawks glass more than half full, and will take the wins and losses as they come.......

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RunTheBall":2dt7wpxf said:
I think just making the playoffs is a good enough goal.

Do you think the players and coaches agree with this? Cause I don't.

After the SB everyone involved with this organization thought (and still thinks) that this team is different than all the other one and done SB winners. Everyone was talking dynasty, special, unique makeup, young core of hungry players, on and on.

Fans follow the lead of the team. So why do we have unrealistic expectations? Cause the team we love has much loftier expectations than "just making the playoffs." That's why.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The team clearly looks different this year.

I know the pressure on the QB, an area we were strong on last year, has dropped off.

I think the # is that we have 1/2 as many sacks as we did at the same point last year.

So I don't think it is unrealistic to point out the team was better last year, we were deeper and our defense was more effective. We also had Golden Tate who kept us in games with the PR.

At the same time, the team was really close to not getting HFA in the playoffs. That play in Houston really started things, but the illusion of Seahawk dominance was really just due to the incredible job they did in the playoffs. People naturally projected them to get better as Wilson got better - and that really didn't happen.

And I think people are rightfully worried because the 49ers look much better than last year and we look slightly worse.

Even so, teams don't repeat SBs because repeating is insanely difficult. So I would call repeating or dynasty talk incredibly unrealistic. And if people are disappointed because we don't reach that bar again for a while? Then yes, they need to reset their expectations a bit.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tokadub":1ii2qiyb said:
Haha, all you did there was make more excuses while admitting that I am right in my concerns. I never said things were gonna be easy this year, I'm just stating the truth of how things have gone so far.

Some people really need to learn to deal with reality without getting so defensive and making excuses like pulling them out of a hat all night.

Funny how someone with critical thinking skills and logic becomes a "hater", even though everything I said was true.

Geeze no wonder America has gone down the drain nobody can use their brain correctly without society as a whole freaking out about it... :roll:

Please, I may be using execuses if that is what you want to call but they are still logic based arguments.

Seahawks are a young team... fact.

Seahawks lost a lot of established veteran leadership... fact.

Seahawks have dealt with a lot of injuries thus far that teams have exploited... fact.

Seahawks have had one of the toughest schedules to date... fact.

Seahawks also haven't been able to get on a week to week schedule in terms of preparation... fact.

Blah blah blah, I could go on, you could go on.

Were basically saying the same thing in just different ways.

No one is doubting the Seahawks have issues and flaws... but some of us believe that they can still win games despite of them.

And frankly you cannot just say we were such a dominant team last year, we should of been blowing teams out.

We were 13-3 last year, we were 3 close losses from being 16-0.

But we were also 3 luck based wins away from 10-6.

So, basically and understandably you can definately say Seahawks at times played like a 10-6 team last year, and at times they played like a 16-0 team last year. They have flaws just like everyone else and sometimes they can execute a perfect gameplan to steam roll opponents just like every one else.

So fast forward to 2014, quite realistical with off-season losses and a tougher schedule you could deduct two wins from the theory based on last years result.

At worst performance, you'll probably see an 8-8 team.

At best performance, you'll probably see a 14-2 team.

Regardless, the optimist in me is going to remain positive in the early going, I have faith they'll start trending towards that 14-2 team...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":bbyunvii said:
The team clearly looks different this year..

That's because the team is different this year............and all these injuries are magnifying the difference.

I know our mantra is "next man up," but those are just words. The players still have to play to that level of expectation and desire.

Tical21

Reaction score
Geez you guys can be freaking annoying. Take the pissing match to PM land. Lookit, our roster is at least twice as good as the Cowboys roster. They have one of the worst defensive rosters in football. We should have throttled them at home. That isn't unrealistic.

Losing a game against a playoff team on the road, that is just going to happen sometimes. But we should have beat the Cowboys handily. We are that much better than them.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly I don't have that "Freak Out" mode this year. After winning it all, it really does trigger some different response to me. I'm not saying one is enough (well, maybe one IS enough for me personally. It was number one on my Bucket List and that's not a small or easy list), but it soothes this 12's Soul.

Oh sure, I'll still get mad when we lose - especially at home - and pout for a day, but that's about it. In the end, this is still the 5th youngest team in the NFL, loaded with talent and possibilities. Sure injuries and scheming is hurting us at times but nobody should have expected this year to be a cake walk.

Not with every team giving us their very, very best shot. To take out the Champs is a medal they all proudly wear. Besides, we still have TONS of respect from around the league. Did you hear the comments from the Cowboy players to our players after the game? They were clearly still respecting us and even saying we would meet them again in the post season (which I can easily see happening).

I do believe the coaches will make the proper adjustments. Hand our workhorse Beast the gawdam ball more than 8 times. Pound the ball, send Percy vertical and keep the defense rested as much as possible.

This Sunday evening, we very well could be 4-2. That's a fantastic record at this point in the season given the strength of opponents.

No, it's not all rosy and rainbows, but I haven't lost faith in this team. With PC/JS in charge, that just won't happen.

drdiags

Reaction score
Tical21":2uvjvaud said:
Losing a game against a playoff team on the road, that is just going to happen sometimes. But we should have beat the Cowboys handily. We are that much better than them.

I think you have to give Rod Marinelli's comment about the Seahawks OL some consideration. "They are not very good" was his comment to his defensive line group. Not sure all that can be blamed on missing Unger. The Cowboys defense may not be very good in a lot of folks mind around here, but they seem to be a good match-up for what the Seahawks chose to do.

So not sure I can say the Seahawks are that much better than the Cowboys. But this is a beauty in the eyes of the beholder thing. And still cannot see how anyone can claim the Seahawks defense is that much better than the Cowboys OL, WRs and TEs.

Seems a little biased to me.

AVL

Reaction score
It's pretty simple. Watching the super bowl over and over will give you a false sense of reality.

That game was unreal.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
drdiags":1rx0nq9k said:
Tical21":1rx0nq9k said:

I think you have to give Rod Marinelli's comment about the Seahawks OL some consideration. "They are not very good" was his comment to his defensive line group. Not sure all that can be blamed on missing Unger. The Cowboys defense may not be very good in a lot of folks mind around here, but they seem to be a good match-up for what the Seahawks chose to do.

So not sure I can say the Seahawks are that much better than the Cowboys. But this is a beauty in the eyes of the beholder thing. And still cannot see how anyone can claim the Seahawks defense is that much better than the Cowboys OL, WRs and TEs.

Seems a little biased to me.

Lynch averaged over 6 yards a carry and Wilson had all day to throw, what more do you want?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
drdiags":1rrdjwn5 said:
Tical21":1rrdjwn5 said:

Marinelli's right, our O-line isn't very good right now. We have a gimpy LT, an injured center, a rookie RT and our best TE is hurt..........all of which spelled out Dallas being able to impose their scheme on our offense.

The scary part is the Rams have an even more imposing front seven, even with Long hurt. This is a game Russell's going to have to work his magic on or the offense is in serious trouble, because I don't see our D holding the Rams to 9 pts this time around.

drdiags

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":jkf0knfw said:
Lynch averaged over 6 yards a carry and Wilson had all day to throw, what more do you want?

Don't want anything. Just commenting on other's evaluation of how this team compares to others. Not a homer or downer, more a 50K view of things void of any emotional bias. Having all day to throw and still unable to convert favorable field position into TDs or a large rushing avg yet unable to convert 3rd downs is something to consider.

The reasons for the above can be valid, but had the team not won the SB last year, what would be a neutral evaluation of this year's team? Best in the league? Not sure how you determine this at this point of the season. Just my part of the ongoing discussions. Sounds like you don't much care for that point of view. Cannot dispute you. Just an observation.

I know, it is like saying your baby is ugly, so one has to tread lightly or just be a pot-stirrer.

pehawk

Reaction score
Everyone's a bit cranky. I hope as hell the team is 1/4 as cranky this board is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":ts7pjsn6 said:
Everyone's a bit cranky. I hope as hell the team is 1/4 as cranky this board is.

Nah cranky is good. I want them to come out Sunday the crankiest bunch of cranks that ever cranked in Cranktown.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3h8ckqj3 said:
pehawk":3h8ckqj3 said:

Nah cranky is good. I want them to come out Sunday the crankiest bunch of cranks that ever cranked in Cranktown.

You and I both, hermano. If the Seahawks are even 10% of the angst and snarkiness within the numerous Bevell threads, man, I feel sorry for that twink Austin Davis.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tokadub":4n09fxe3 said:
I just don't think it's debatable... we are playing horribly right now. And I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation that we would be playing better than... well better than horrible...

This zone defense is almost as bad as our offense too be honest, maybe worst...

Look at Dallas's first touchdown and tell me this is legit coaching and a great defensive scheme... :?

Zone_Defense_Sucks_1.png

Zone_Defense_Sucks_1b.png

In the first image you can see KJ Wright lined up perfectly to stop their TE Escobar. In the second image you can see KJ Wright just let him run right past him! The image makes it look closer than it really was, if you watch the video KJ just stands there like he's waiting for a fly ball... as if there was ANYONE ELSE THAT HE COULD POSSIBLY GUARD ON THIS PLAY (there wasn't!)? KJ takes like 2 steps back as he gets effortlessly burned and by the time he turns around it's an easy Touchdown as you can see in the image...

What the heck kind of defense is that??? :pukeface:
So, you're saying that we shouldn't be optimistic?
Hey, we lost a damned squeaker, even with all the bad calls/non-calls against a damned good 5 & 1 Cowboys, AND, we did compete without much help from Bobby Wagner, no Unger, and Byron Maxwell, and a gimmicky game without Beastmode.

SeahawksForever

Reaction score
I think the expectations came from
A) winning the Super Bowl last year and not losing any of our star players (Clemons and Bryant are debatable)
B) just every expert on the planet picking us to at least make it to, if not win, the Super Bowl again. The only pundits that didn't choose us had no reasoning other than "it's hard to repeat."

Sometimes we hang out a little too long in our own echo chamber and reality seems unreal.

Also, I think this board is a little quick to shout down anyone who starts to sound nervous about the team.

Latest posts