Which award will give 12s the most fist pumps.

Most fist pumps from you for

• Total voters

toffee

Reaction score
Other than winning the super bowl, which is a team award and achievement. On personal level, which one of these will you pump your fists the most? You can pick up to three choices.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Geno already has Come back player of the year locked up.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Geno already has Come back player of the year locked up.
I would not say that, different voters look for different things, it usually goes to a player coming back from injury, Barkley is favorite and if he continues to play lights out hewill probably win whatever Geno does.

Geno deserves it but I do not think he will win unless Barkley slides.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Geno Smith as MVP would be hilarious on so many different levels.

Russell Wilson spent his whole career chasing the MVP award. Silently, you had to know that him being looked at as lesser than passers such as Manning, Rodgers and Brady by the media had to eat at him. Wilson has always been seen by the media as a tier below the top tier passers. He's always been seen as the good but not elite in the media. Even though the dude had won a Super Bowl, people still remained skeptical of him at times.

The media never quite bought into the idea of Russell Wilson. The talking heads always looked at him as being good, but also with a slightly skeptical tone. A he's good but there isn't something quite right going on sort of vibe. Fans always saw it as an unfortunate byproduct of living in the farthest most corner of the lower 48.

The skeptical take on Wilson is one area that the talking heads nailed it right on the head. They were right about him all along. The he's good.... but statement was always surrounding Wilson. Little did we know how right they were when they gave a disclaimer with the "he's good statement.

I know that all of this has always eaten at Wilson. He won a Super Bowl but on the back of the best defense of the modern era. He made it to two Super Bowls, but he threw a game losing interception at the goal line. He's good but he's like Kirk Cousins good, not Tom Brady/Mahomes/Rodgers good.

Russell Wilson wanted nothing more than an MVP, a Super Bowl ring free from the shadow of the LOB. He lusted after that award more than all else. He blamed Bevell, Schottenheimer, Waldon and most of all, Carroll/Schneider for his lack of success, he wanted more than anything to be vindicated. All he needed was an "offensive guru coach" and control and he would ascend to the next level.

Imagine that logic flowing through Wilson's head. Now imagine forcing your way out of Seattle, being TRADED to a team that is a QB away from competing in the Super Bowl. Imagine finally getting a "offensive guru" (lol turns out he never called plays in GB), and complete control of the offense. Now imagine you being one of the sole reasons that the team keeps losing. Imagine seeing your offense being worse than a Drew Lock/Bridgewater lead offense, WORSE THAN A KENNY PICKETT LEAD OFFENSE, WORSE THAN THE CORPSE OF MATT RYAN. Now, imagine Geno Smith sitting on the podium during the awards ceremony, unanimously being awarded MVP. A QB that was once your backup, now orchestrating an offense that was more potent and more consistent than anything you did. Not only that but under the same OC and HC.

My god would that be poetic. Russell Wilson would have nowhere to look but inside himself at that point. The excuses are running out. Geno Smith being crowned MVP would probably break Russell Wilson, emotionally and mentally. Let's be real here though, Wilson would probably claim it's because we added Cross, Lucas and Fant, and that he never had a good offensive line.

I would just love to see the look on Wilson's face if all of this happened, Geno being crowned MVP.

keasley45

Reaction score
Geno Smith as MVP would be hilarious on so many different levels.

Russell Wilson spent his whole career chasing the MVP award. Silently, you had to know that him being looked at as lesser than passers such as Manning, Rodgers and Brady by the media had to eat at him. Wilson has always been seen by the media as a tier below the top tier passers. He's always been seen as the good but not elite in the media. Even though the dude had won a Super Bowl, people still remained skeptical of him at times.

The media never quite bought into the idea of Russell Wilson. The talking heads always looked at him as being good, but also with a slightly skeptical tone. A he's good but there isn't something quite right going on sort of vibe. Fans always saw it as an unfortunate byproduct of living in the farthest most corner of the lower 48.

The skeptical take on Wilson is one area that the talking heads nailed it right on the head. They were right about him all along. The he's good.... but statement was always surrounding Wilson. Little did we know how right they were when they gave a disclaimer with the "he's good statement.

I know that all of this has always eaten at Wilson. He won a Super Bowl but on the back of the best defense of the modern era. He made it to two Super Bowls, but he threw a game losing interception at the goal line. He's good but he's like Kirk Cousins good, not Tom Brady/Mahomes/Rodgers good.

Russell Wilson wanted nothing more than an MVP, a Super Bowl ring free from the shadow of the LOB. He lusted after that award more than all else. He blamed Bevell, Schottenheimer, Waldon and most of all, Carroll/Schneider for his lack of success, he wanted more than anything to be vindicated. All he needed was an "offensive guru coach" and control and he would ascend to the next level.

Imagine that logic flowing through Wilson's head. Now imagine forcing your way out of Seattle, being TRADED to a team that is a QB away from competing in the Super Bowl. Imagine finally getting a "offensive guru" (lol turns out he never called plays in GB), and complete control of the offense. Now imagine you being one of the sole reasons that the team keeps losing. Imagine seeing your offense being worse than a Drew Lock/Bridgewater lead offense, WORSE THAN A KENNY PICKETT LEAD OFFENSE, WORSE THAN THE CORPSE OF MATT RYAN. Now, imagine Geno Smith sitting on the podium during the awards ceremony, unanimously being awarded MVP. A QB that was once your backup, now orchestrating an offense that was more potent and more consistent than anything you did. Not only that but under the same OC and HC.

My god would that be poetic. Russell Wilson would have nowhere to look but inside himself at that point. The excuses are running out. Geno Smith being crowned MVP would probably break Russell Wilson, emotionally and mentally. Let's be real here though, Wilson would probably claim it's because we added Cross, Lucas and Fant, and that he never had a good offensive line.

I would just love to see the look on Wilson's face if all of this happened, Geno being crowned MVP.

Geno only needs to get 1 vote to crush Wilson's world. One vote for Geno for captaining the team that he could never show the leadership and ability to take anywhere without Lynch and the LOB. One vote for Geno is one more than Wilson ever got in his career.

And someone out there will give him that one vote if he continues his play, JUST to make that point.

No doubt

TheLost

Reaction score
As for Coach of the Year. We could win the Superbowl this year and the Giants coach could just miss the playoffs and still beat Carroll out.

byau

Reaction score
The Jets were on track to possibly having the incredible accomplishment of DROY and OROY in Sauce Gardner and Breece Hall. I think the Hawks have a remote shot too with Woolen and Walker ... if that happens, TOTAL double fist pump territory for me!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Geno only needs to get 1 vote to crush Wilson's world. One vote for Geno for captaining the team that he could never show the leadership and ability to take anywhere without Lynch and the LOB. One vote for Geno is one more than Wilson ever got in his career.

And someone out there will give him that one vote if he continues his play, JUST to make that point.

No doubt
Interesting, John Clayton was one of those 50 voters. The prof. Never voted for Russ.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
He has come back from being written off by nearly everyone.

I mean I get it, but that's not really something the award has ever taken into account though as far as I know.

"The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award is presented by the Professional Football Writers of America to the player in the National Football League (NFL) who shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, overcoming a severe injury, or simply a poor performance."

It's a small minority of players that won for non-injury reasons; as much as I think Geno's story is impressive, I have a hard time labeling it as a comeback. That said, would be awesome if they do consider him for the award.

Mick063

Reaction score
I want this Giants win more than any other so far.

Why?

Because this is a "head-to-head" matchup between two leading candidates for coach of the year. If Giants win this, the Giants coach wins it outright by week eight. If Seattle wins it, Carroll has a full season of Eastern bias and New York press to battle this thing down to the wire. Gawd I want Pete Carroll to win this award.

Oh...and the old saying "Winning cures everything" isn't true. It is true for Eastern teams but not for Seattle. If the LOB years taught me anything, it is that capturing the fancy of Eastern press/national media is extremely hard to do. Even at the height of the LOB era, the leading story on Sunday morning pregame shows was "What's wrong with the Cowboys?" or "How many different types of top ten lists can we create that include Tom Brady or Peyton Manning?". By the third segment (and two dozen commercial breaks later) we got to the Seattle defense....unless they were playing the Cowboys or Patriots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I mean I get it, but that's not really something the award has ever taken into account though as far as I know.

"The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award is presented by the Professional Football Writers of America to the player in the National Football League (NFL) who shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, overcoming a severe injury, or simply a poor performance."

It's a small minority of players that won for non-injury reasons; as much as I think Geno's story is impressive, I have a hard time labeling it as a comeback. That said, would be awesome if they do consider him for the award.
I was looking though that list of 50 sports writers. Too bad the only one I can wine and dine wasn't on that list.

AgentDib

Reaction score
All of these awards would be nice in so far as they would signify that the players or team finished the season well. I don't put any value on them beyond that at all.

Do those 50 voters really have better opinions than anybody here does? If anything I think they tend to be worse because they focus too much on whatever is hot at the moment and get caught up in their own storylines.

keasley45

Reaction score

Except that part about 'poor performance'.. you can't be any poorer than be a high draft choice and fail to the point of being labeled a bust... then be all but forgotten and assumed to be the worst starting qb in the league when you do get a chance.

Injuries are in many ways easier to overcome than what Geno has.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Except that part about 'poor performance'.. you can't be any poorer than be a high draft choice and fail to the point of being labeled a bust... then be all but forgotten and assumed to be the worst starting qb in the league when you do get a chance.

Injuries are in many ways easier to overcome than what Geno has.
100%

Holding a clipboard watching QBs less than you do all the stupid things, takes a toll; having to kiss up to those lesser QBs took a toll too, keeping your body and mind in tip top condition under those circumstance require lots of heart and desire.