Which award will give 12s the most fist pumps.

Most fist pumps from you for

• Total voters
OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
These 50 sports writers and broadcasters voted last year, good chance they will again this year, 12s could approach them for Geno!! No hard sales, but remind them Geno's there. Of course we have to win this Sunday!

2020 Associated Press NFL Awards Voters
Aaron Schatz, Football Outsiders: @FO_ASchatz
Adam Schein, Showtime/CBS: @AdamSchein
Alex Marvez, Sirius XM: @alexmarvez
Andrew Beaton, Wall Street Journal: @andrewlbeaton
Armando Salguero, Miami Herald: @ArmandoSalguero
Bill Polian, ESPN
Bob Glauber, Newsday: @BobGlauber
Boomer Esiason, CBS: @7BOOMERESIASON
Bruce Murray, Sirius XM: @BruceMurrayNFL
Charean Williams, Pro Football Talk: @NFLCharean
Charissa Thompson, Fox Sports: @CharissaT
Charles Davis, CBS Sports
Charles Robinson, Yahoo: @CharlesRobinson
Chris Mortensen, ESPN: @mortreport
Clark Judge, Talk of Fame Network: @ClarkJudgeTOF
Dan Pompei, The Athletic: @danpompei
Eric Adelson, Athlon Sports: @eric_adelson
Fred Gaudelli, NBC: @NBCSNF
Gary Myers, Pro Football Hall of Fame: @GaryMyersNY
Howard Balzer, Pro Football Hall of Fame: @HBalzer721
Howard Deneroff, Westwood One: @HowardDeneroff
Hub Arkush, Westwood One: @Hub_Arkush
Ira Kaufman, Fox 13 Tampa: @IKaufman76
James Lofton, CBS: @lofton80
Jarrett Bell, USA Today: @JarrettBell
Jeff Legwold, ESPN: @Jeff_Legwold
Jenny Vrentas, The MMQB: @JennyVrentas
Jim Miller, Sirius XM: @jimmiller_nfl
John Clayton, ESPN: @JohnClaytonNFL
John Czarnecki, Fox Sports
Lorenzo Reyes, USA Today: @LorenzoGReyes
Mark Craig, Minneapolis Star Tribune: @markcraignfl
Michael Strahan, Fox Sports: @michaelstrahan
Mike Jones, USA Today: @ByMikeJones
Mike Tirico, NBC: @miketirico
Nate Davis, USA Today: @ByNateDavis
Nick Pavlatos, Sirius XM: @nflradionick
Pat Kirwan, CBSSports.com: @PatKirwan_NFL
Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News: @pdomo
Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com: @PriscoCBS
Peter King, NBC: @Peter_King
Rich Gannon, CBS: @RichGannon12
Rick Gosselin, Talk of Fame Network: @RickGosselin9
Rodney Harrison, NBC: @Rodney_Harrison
Steve Cohen, Sirius XM: @CohenNFL
Suzy Kolber, ESPN: @SuzyKolber
Tom Curran, Comcast Sports Net: @tomecurran
Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: @TomSilverstein
Tony Dungy, NBC: @TonyDungy
Vic Carucci, Buffalo News: @viccarucci

Last edited:

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
I mean I get it, but that's not really something the award has ever taken into account though as far as I know.

"The NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award is presented by the Professional Football Writers of America to the player in the National Football League (NFL) who shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, overcoming a severe injury, or simply a poor performance."

It's a small minority of players that won for non-injury reasons; as much as I think Geno's story is impressive, I have a hard time labeling it as a comeback. That said, would be awesome if they do consider him for the award.
If the world for years has been saying the player is trash, is a forever backup, is incapable of anything but mediocre or worse results and they then come back to lead a team at a very high level and it isn't considered as a phenomenal comeback player then I don't know what is.

I am not arguing whether or not Geno should receive the award, but to not consider it for Geno given what you posted about the award seems a bit strange.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Except that part about 'poor performance'.. you can't be any poorer than be a high draft choice and fail to the point of being labeled a bust... then be all but forgotten and assumed to be the worst starting qb in the league when you do get a chance.

Injuries are in many ways easier to overcome than what Geno has.
It is really phenomenal what Geno has done through 7 games.

If he continues it is hard to argue against recognizing his accomplishments (not that he necessarily should get this particular award over someone else). He's already getting a lot of love and airtime because he is doing something few even thought possible.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
If the world for years has been saying the player is trash, is a forever backup, is incapable of anything but mediocre or worse results and they then come back to lead a team at a very high level and it isn't considered as a phenomenal comeback player then I don't know what is.

I am not arguing whether or not Geno should receive the award, but to not consider it for Geno given what you posted about the award seems a bit strange.

Oh don't get me wrong, I fully get the argument. I am just not sure what we are really describing is considered in the "comeback" portion of the award. Part of the implication of the award is that the player was successful at one point, they suffered adversity, and then came back to be successful. I am not sure if this late in career awakening really fits that narrative. The closest thing we have is probably Gannon, and I don't think he even got a mention of being worthy of the award.

All of that said, I am would love for Geno to win the award. It would be a great human interest story, on top of being a huge win for the Geno & franchise.

keasley45

Reaction score
These 50 sports writers and broadcasters voted last year, good chance they will again this year, 12s could approach them for Geno!! No hard sales, but remind them Geno's there. Of course we have to win this Sunday!

2020 Associated Press NFL Awards Voters
Aaron Schatz, Football Outsiders: @FO_ASchatz
Adam Schein, Showtime/CBS: @AdamSchein
Alex Marvez, Sirius XM: @alexmarvez
Andrew Beaton, Wall Street Journal: @andrewlbeaton
Armando Salguero, Miami Herald: @ArmandoSalguero
Bill Polian, ESPN
Bob Glauber, Newsday: @BobGlauber
Boomer Esiason, CBS: @7BOOMERESIASON
Bruce Murray, Sirius XM: @BruceMurrayNFL
Charean Williams, Pro Football Talk: @NFLCharean
Charissa Thompson, Fox Sports: @CharissaT
Charles Davis, CBS Sports
Charles Robinson, Yahoo: @CharlesRobinson
Chris Mortensen, ESPN: @mortreport
Clark Judge, Talk of Fame Network: @ClarkJudgeTOF
Dan Pompei, The Athletic: @danpompei
Eric Adelson, Athlon Sports: @eric_adelson
Fred Gaudelli, NBC: @NBCSNF
Gary Myers, Pro Football Hall of Fame: @GaryMyersNY
Howard Balzer, Pro Football Hall of Fame: @HBalzer721
Howard Deneroff, Westwood One: @HowardDeneroff
Hub Arkush, Westwood One: @Hub_Arkush
Ira Kaufman, Fox 13 Tampa: @IKaufman76
James Lofton, CBS: @lofton80
Jarrett Bell, USA Today: @JarrettBell
Jeff Legwold, ESPN: @Jeff_Legwold
Jenny Vrentas, The MMQB: @JennyVrentas
Jim Miller, Sirius XM: @jimmiller_nfl
John Clayton, ESPN: @JohnClaytonNFL
John Czarnecki, Fox Sports
Lorenzo Reyes, USA Today: @LorenzoGReyes
Mark Craig, Minneapolis Star Tribune: @markcraignfl
Michael Strahan, Fox Sports: @michaelstrahan
Mike Jones, USA Today: @ByMikeJones
Mike Tirico, NBC: @miketirico
Nate Davis, USA Today: @ByNateDavis
Nick Pavlatos, Sirius XM: @nflradionick
Pat Kirwan, CBSSports.com: @PatKirwan_NFL
Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News: @pdomo
Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com: @PriscoCBS
Peter King, NBC: @Peter_King
Rich Gannon, CBS: @RichGannon12
Rick Gosselin, Talk of Fame Network: @RickGosselin9
Rodney Harrison, NBC: @Rodney_Harrison
Steve Cohen, Sirius XM: @CohenNFL
Suzy Kolber, ESPN: @SuzyKolber
Tom Curran, Comcast Sports Net: @tomecurran
Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: @TomSilverstein
Tony Dungy, NBC: @TonyDungy
Vic Carucci, Buffalo News: @viccarucci

If Rich Gannon has a vote, I'll bet dollars to donuts he throws it in for Geno. He was on Sirius NFL this week going on and on about how incredible Geno has been and relating it to his own comeback.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Lombardi

So, ever one of those awards would be awesome. If I had to pick only one of those it would be Coach of the Year Pete. That would be an indication that the season was damn good. JS would also mean the same, but there is no way Pete wins it without getting to the playoffs. And I’d bet playoffs would be amazing for many to believe based on last offseason.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
If Rich Gannon has a vote, I'll bet dollars to donuts he throws it in for Geno. He was on Sirius NFL this week going on and on about how incredible Geno has been and relating it to his own comeback.
I have been comparing Gannon, Steve Young and Geno, all three benefitted from having a second chance. They didn't become stars til early 30s, another thing that they have in common, all three were very athletic, all were 4.5 guys, which may be important. If they started off at 4.5, as they age, they may still be 4.85-4.95 in their early 30s. If a QB's combine 40 was 4.85 at 22 years old, 10 years later, dude may be a 5.2/5.3 slow moving object.

In Geno's case, not much wear and tear, and he hardly gain weight at all, I won't be too surprised that he is a 4.75-4.8 guy right now. For reference, Big Ben's combine 40 was 4.75. Joe Montana's 40 was 4.7.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
The National Football League Comeback Player of the Year Award refers to a number of awards that are given to a National Football League player who has shown perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance. The awards have been presented by several organizations, including the Associated Press, Pro Football Writers Association, Sporting News, and United Press International

Already posted.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'm just excited about the fact that we have legitimate candidates for all those categories -- except we'd have to make it to the Superbowl for Geno to get MVP, that's kinda how that award works.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
As Seahawks we will always love guys with chip on their shoulders and it would be awesome if Geno proves the world wrong. Hell, with our bad ass O line and Walker, I'm optimistic but concerned about our depth.

But for a little grounding;

Geno has has 11 TD's, 3 int, 1,712 yards and a 105.5 rating
Mahomes has 20 TD's, 5 int, 2,159 yards and a 109.5 rating

Can't help but imagine what Mahomes could do in Seattle.

Torc

Reaction score
I'm just excited about the fact that we have legitimate candidates for all those categories -- except we'd have to make it to the Superbowl for Geno to get MVP, that's kinda how that award works.
I'm pretty sure they vote after the regular season and before the playoffs start. Playoff performance doesn't make any difference.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
What is he coming back from?
After the last 8 years & being considered "All Washed Up" by ALMOST EVERYBODY across the entire League, RATED @ # 33 of the Quarterbacks -> THAT is ONE HELL of a "COMEBACK", Yes?...No?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
As Seahawks we will always love guys with chip on their shoulders and it would be awesome if Geno proves the world wrong. Hell, with our bad ass O line and Walker, I'm optimistic but concerned about our depth.

But for a little grounding;

Geno has has 11 TD's, 3 int, 1,712 yards and a 105.5 rating
Mahomes has 20 TD's, 5 int, 2,159 yards and a 109.5 rating

Can't help but imagine what Mahomes could do in Seattle.
But for a little UN-Grounding sprhawk73, Mahomes has CONTINUETY going for him, Geno is FAAAAR from being an established 'Tempered by Fire' Starting Quarterback, WITH 2 Rookie Tackles & Rook RB, ALL learning a NEW System.
The "Bigger Picture"> Mahomes has been in the Limelight for the last 3+ years and has been Considered a 'Golden Boy' right from the get-go.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
After the last 8 years & being considered "All Washed Up" by ALMOST EVERYBODY across the entire League, RATED @ # 33 of the Quarterbacks -> THAT is ONE HELL of a "COMEBACK", Yes?...No?

I mean, I've already laid out the argument against this line of reasoning... But this isn't typically what is considered as a comeback by the award's standard. For what it is worth, there aren't many examples that are similar, so who knows? I am rooting for him.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
But for a little UN-Grounding sprhawk73, Mahomes has CONTINUETY going for him, Geno is FAAAAR from being an established 'Tempered by Fire' Starting Quarterback, WITH 2 Rookie Tackles & Rook RB, ALL learning a NEW System.
The "Bigger Picture"> Mahomes has been in the Limelight for the last 3+ years and has been Considered a 'Golden Boy' right from the get-go.
Agreed but my point is that Geno can’t carry this team. If Walker goes down, it’s all over and we are right back where we were with RW. Not good enough without a good defense and running game. Take one away and it fails.

That is why we need a better QB because Geno can’t put enough points on the board.

Walker is the future so his award would mean the most.

Last edited: