Which is our biggest Achilles Heel this year?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1173724442570059776[/tweet]

This is good news.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I'd have to say it's been the tackling so far, I'm seeing a lot of defenders taking poor angles and not wrapping up the opposing RB's or receivers.

chris98251

Reaction score
When we get all the pieces together we will have a better evaluation, The O Line as well, throw in we have seen 3-4 defenses changing up the first two weeks as well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":1xw7jkn3 said:
1. Pete putting the leash on the offense against lesser opponents.

2. Ifedi in general / Right side of the OLine in pass pro.

3. Defense repeatedly getting shredded by TE & RB screens.

4. Needs more pass rush.

The DBs look pretty good, not all world, but pretty good, minus TT of course.
This.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":20t82u4k said:
Peteball and stubborn ego is #1 issue. All these 3 and outs put even worse pressure on the D and tire them out.

LOBad is #2

Pass protection is #3.
I only put it here because we have the QB to help mitigate the issue and they have learned to win in spite of bottom 1/3 of the league in protection for Russ's entire career here in Seattle.

#1 is strange to suggest here, because if #2 and #3 were solid, the last two games would have been blow-out wins, regardless of how many 3-outs we actually tallied in those games.

No, PC's approach isn't a problem.

chris98251

Reaction score
Healthy Team, we have not been all together yet as a team, I think the rotations and everyone able to block and use leverage will be a huge difference and show up other places.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Inexperience
1. Secondary for the most part is young and inexperienced
2. New, young and/or inexperienced wide receivers
3. D line has young guys as well as guys new to the team.

Once we get the starters set in the secondary and a few more games, we'll be pretty darn good.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pass Blocking by far seems to be the biggest concern. At least they did look a LITTLE better in the 2nd half when the Hawks adjusted and they put up 3 straight TD drives.

Still a little worried about how grabby Flowers is playing. He's a PI waiting to happen.

xray

Reaction score
The first half play calling ; which in turn are making the OL look worse than what they really are .

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3oum0g4j said:
TwistedHusky":3oum0g4j said:
2 very glaring issues so far this year.

1. The secondary. We are letting 'barely there' QBs do what they want against us. So far we are beating them. But the secondary still looks like garbage.

This isn't the whole story. No secondary is going to hold up for seven seconds against a pass rush that never gets home. The Legion didn't. Give any QB seven unmolested seconds in the pocket and he'll either reach his fourth read or find someone open on a scramble drill.

The problems you're seeing are DL-related. If a QB hits the top of his drop and has to keep progressing or scrambles to improvise, the secondary has largely done its job. And that's happening on enough plays to where I feel pretty good about the secondary.

I agree.

I also am skeptical about the offensive line still. Russel already getting sacked a bit too much.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1j8eivku said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1173724442570059776[/tweet]

This is good news.

This feels like Percy Harvin Groundhog Day all over again with Ansah.

Remember when Percy got here, every week Pete would say stuff like this, then come game time we'd see Harvin on the inactive list.

Feels the same with Ansah. Pete's said now for three weeks that Ansah's looked great, had a great week of practice...........then *inactive*.

This is a not a criticism of Ziggy, MOST people thought after we signed him that it could take up to six weeks into the season for him to be game ready. This is more a criticism of Pete, and how he's not quite forthcoming with injury information. He does this a LOT, super optimistic early in the week, then after the game we hear stuff like "well he just couldn't get right late in the week or in warmups."

Just say you don't know. Be vague. I'd rather hear nothing than getting everyone's hopes up.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Secondary defense is a little exposed right now. My thoughts are they will improve with PC's coaching and defense personnel on injury list are back. Pass rush will improve greatly and opposing QB's will have less time for the long ball.

My biggest concern is Pass Protection and !st on the list is Ifedi! He is caught a lot of times lost and not blocking anybody. He is a little slow at moving his feet and every thing he does is going backwards, not a real force to deal with for opponents rushing RW. Get yourself ready for contact and hold your ground. Last year I thought I seen improvement but it's like he's starting all over again. Ifedi, your a HAWK, I'll give you the benefit of early season but, ya gotta improve.

Other than that I'm very optimistic that this season will be great. :snack:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":nfnrde02 said:
This is more a criticism of Pete, and how he's not quite forthcoming with injury information. He does this a LOT, super optimistic early in the week, then after the game we hear stuff like "well he just couldn't get right late in the week or in warmups." Just say you don't know. Be vague. I'd rather hear nothing than getting everyone's hopes up.
Pete is positive about this stuff for multiple reasons and if that "disappoints" some fans that is not a downside. The team can withstand a few sarcastic tweets and forum threads about injury outcomes from a fragile minority.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":zpaodlk4 said:
Sgt. Largent":zpaodlk4 said:
This is more a criticism of Pete, and how he's not quite forthcoming with injury information. He does this a LOT, super optimistic early in the week, then after the game we hear stuff like "well he just couldn't get right late in the week or in warmups." Just say you don't know. Be vague. I'd rather hear nothing than getting everyone's hopes up.
Pete is positive about this stuff for multiple reasons and if that "disappoints" some fans that is not a downside. The team can withstand a few sarcastic tweets and forum threads about injury outcomes from a fragile minority.

I don't think it's just Pete being positive, I think it's more calculated than that.

Truthfully Pete, like many coaches likes to make his opponents prepare for as many players and possible schemes as possible early in the week........so he's overly optimistic in pressers with major players like Ziggy in order to force his opponents to prepare for them, when he probably knows pretty early in the week as to whether the player's going or not.

Smart, but frustrating for us fans.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Lack of pass rush

Slow offensive starts, typically only scoring when necessary, rather than building a lead

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It’s the same thing every year. Penalties and sacks by the offense getting us behind schedule followed by Schotty’s lack of 2nd and long creativity. Essentially giving up every time.

Right now there is nothing wrong with the defense other than fan disagreement about how defense should be played. We sacrifice short completions to protect against deep shots and getting plowed over in the run game. It’s a design not an Achilles heel. And it works given how rarely we get blown out.

But there is no way offensive false starts and whiff blocks are by design. They are a problem and limit our offense every damn time.