Which Seahawks make the NFL's 100 all-time team?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Beginning tonight the NFL Network will start the process of revealing their all-time team, the 100 best players to ever play in the league. Tonight will be Running Backs and to the surprise of exactly no one who ever saw him play, they have teased it with the reveal of only one of the selections, the incredible Jim Brown. The show is hosted by Rich Eisen and Bill Belichick. I believe each Friday (5:00 PM Pacific Time) they will reveal another position group. I do know next week it's Linebackers and Defensive Linemen.

My question is how many Seahawks do you think make this Top-100 of all-time list/team? I see only 3, Walter Jones (mortal lock imo), Cortez Kennedy (near lock) and Steve Largent (a lot closer than a lot of Hawks fan would like to believe because there are so many WRs that are worthy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hmm...........100 players is not a lot when you're talking all time. So I'd say Largent and Jones, that's it.

I don't think Tez had a long enough career, and didn't play on enough good teams (like none) to get the kind of exposure and well known recognition to make this sort of list.

Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if Jones wasn't on the list either. If I had to give percentages;

Largent - 80% chance
Jones - 50% chance
Tez - 20% chance

Maybe Easley at 5% chance.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1iu3428d said:
Hmm...........100 players is not a lot when you're talking all time. So I'd say Largent and Jones, that's it.

I don't think Tez had a long enough career, and didn't play on enough good teams (like none) to get the kind of exposure and well known recognition to make this sort of list.

Hell, I wouldn't even be surprised if Jones wasn't on the list either. If I had to give percentages;

Largent - 80% chance
Jones - 50% chance
Tez - 20% chance

You may well be right about Tez but I think Walt's a complete lock. Most consider only Anthony Munoz better at LT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3hga6dsc said:
Sgt. Largent":3hga6dsc said:

Largent - 80% chance
Jones - 50% chance
Tez - 20% chance

You may well be right about Tez but I think Walt's a complete lock. Most consider only Anthony Munoz better at LT.

I agree, I just think a very small percentage of this list will be O-linemen. Not a sexy position to put a bunch of them on these sorts of lists.

Jones definitely deserves to be on the list, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got left off.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h37fca3 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1h37fca3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1h37fca3 said:

Largent - 80% chance
Jones - 50% chance
Tez - 20% chance

I agree, I just think a very small percentage of this list will be O-linemen. Not a sexy position to put a bunch of them on these sorts of lists.

Jones definitely deserves to be on the list, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got left off.
Yeah that's the one thing that would keep him off, not choosing enough o-linemen.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Are they putting top 100 best or are they dividing it up equally by positions? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Largent was left off the list. He was never considered one of the best during his playing years. His overall records say differently. I would put Jones as a lock.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":udmh6xsd said:
Are they putting top 100 best or are they dividing it up equally by positions? It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Largent was left off the list. He was never considered one of the best during his playing years. His overall records say differently. I would put Jones as a lock.

I think seeing which Hawks make the list will tell us whether it's a legit "most talented" vs "most popular."

Jones and Cortez should absolutely make the list, they were both in the top 5 most dominant players at their position of all time, and in the HOF. Largent's the most popular Hawk, so if it's just him, that tells us the list is more about well known vs a serious all time talented.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I doubt Largent makes the list. Wasn't flashy enough. But he should make it.

Rat

Reaction score
What's Largent considered, like borderline top 5? Depends how many wideouts they feel comfortable taking. Being an offensive skill position probably helps.

HawkGA

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":3cq65yfz said:
I'm not holding my breath for any recognition no matter how well deserved. South Alaska don't you know...

On average, with 32 teams you'd expect 3 players a team. Now, obviously some will get more and some might get none at all. But getting Largent, Jones, and Tez would hit that average. But my guess in order of likelihood is Jones, Tez, then Largent.

Will be interesting to see if any new players make the list. Sherm comes to mind. Wilson? Wagner? My guess is that Wagner has an outside shot to get in. I think Sherm probably should but I'm guessing he doesn't.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson should. He's changed the league. Look at all these Wilson clones manning the QB position now, and how great they're doing, because Pete took a chance on Wilson.

Sherman, I'd argue, same thing. He wasn't just the best at his position for a few years, he helped change the way the position was drafted.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Breakdown by position:

QB - 10
RB - 12
WR - 10
TE - 5
OL - 18
DL - 14
LB - 12
DB - 13
Special Teamers - 6

Also in addition:
Coaches - 10

Rat

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3nqb45ah said:
Breakdown by position:

QB - 10
RB - 12
WR - 10
TE - 5
OL - 18
DL - 14
LB - 12
DB - 13
Special Teamers - 6

Also in addition:
Coaches - 10

If they're taking 10 wideouts, Largent almost definitely made the cut. Looking at lists online, Rice is the only WR unanimously ranked ahead of him, and the only others ranked higher with anything resembling consistency are Hutson, Moss, and TO. Gil Brandt, who works for the network putting these together has him 25th (also has Antonio Brown fifth, no joke), but nearly everyone else has him within a few positions (some higher, some lower) of No.5.

chris98251

Reaction score
Depends who is doing the picking, if they are a bunch of Gen Xers and Millennials few historical guys will make it.

Say the name Steve Largent and all they can relate to is a Congressmen if even that.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Some of those RB's picked are not my choice..Where's Gayle Sayers?
In the end it's just opinions for me..Not facts.
Steve Largent not a top ten?If they don't pick him it's one big joke.

Rat

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":pvb2tj88 said:
Wilson should. He's changed the league. Look at all these Wilson clones manning the QB position now, and how great they're doing, because Pete took a chance on Wilson..

I'm not saying Russ is necessarily undeserving, but I'd be really surprised if they took a currently-playing 30-year-old for an all-time list like this. They haven't announced the names, but they apparently chose 10 QBs. You have to figure Montana, Young, Brady, Manning, Marino, and Unitas are locks. Likely Favre and Elway too. Then, they probably don't want to look too recent-biased, so a few among the group of Graham, Starr, Staubach, Tarkenton, Luckman, and Baugh make it too (not that they're undeserving on their own).

That means, if there are any spots left, Russ would have to beat out close to, or all, of a group that includes Brees, Moon, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Bradshaw, Rivers, Fouts, Warner, Namath, Kelly, Jurgensen, Aikman, Dawson, Stabler, Tittle, Van Brocklin, and I'm sure several others I'm blanking on right now.

Russ will make many lists like this in the future, but I very much doubt this one will be among those.