Who has watched every Super Bowl?

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has watched every Super Bowl. I watched the first 11, then went away to college and missed a few. As an adult, I've missed a handful. Has anyone seen every game?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has watched every Super Bowl. I watched the first 11, then went away to college and missed a few. As an adult, I've missed a handful. Has anyone seen every game?
I have, and I started a thread about it over in the NFL forum. I was in the 6th grade in January of 1967 when SB I was played (it was called the AFL-NFL Championship game back then), so I have a very clear recollection of it and those that followed.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I have, and I started a thread about it over in the NFL forum. I was in the 6th grade in January of 1967 when SB I was played (it was called the AFL-NFL Championship game back then), so I have a very clear recollection of it and those that followed.
Cool. I'm not sure what grade I was in (I was 9 at the time). I remember watching it with my dad and grandpa.

RiverDog

Reaction score
A number of years ago, NFL Network did a series called "Full Color Football: A History of the American Football League", a 5-part series that's a must for anyone who was a football fan during that period of time or for the avid football fan like many of the posters in here. It's available on YouTube:

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I am age 77. I have seen everything since I first became a Bears fan during their 1963 championship season.
Maybe you can answer a question I've had for years. During the 1960s the Bears had several HOF players (Dick Butkus, Gale Sayers, Mike Ditka, Doug Atkins, Bill George, and Stan Jones). They also had several good players (Doug Buffone, Joe Fortunato, Ed O'Bradovich, etc.). With all these players, why did the Bears suck for most of the 60s? I'm not taking a shot at the Bears, I'm honestly curious.

Vesuve

Reaction score
The first Superbowl i watched was XIII (1978?) Pittsburgh vs. Dallas.

I believe I've watched every one since....perhaps I missed one but can't remember.

NoGain

Reaction score
I *think* I've seen every one. I was a very precocious sports fan. I learned how to read well from the sports page and Sports Illustrated, and learned math from sports stats more than anything else. I was very young for the first two SB's, and those games, especially the first, weren't that big of a deal at the time. It was the third SB where it really began to catch on with the public, and for me as well. A lot of that was because of the Jets and Joe Namath. I was a big Namath fan as a young boy, had his poster on my wall.

I may have missed one or two somewhere along the line, but if I did, I can't remember what game(s) it might have been. There were definitely games that don't at all stand out, to me, where I can barely remember anything about them, like the 49ers vs. Chargers game.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe you can answer a question I've had for years. During the 1960s the Bears had several HOF players (Dick Butkus, Gale Sayers, Mike Ditka, Doug Atkins, Bill George, and Stan Jones). They also had several good players (Doug Buffone, Joe Fortunato, Ed O'Bradovich, etc.). With all these players, why did the Bears suck for most of the 60s? I'm not taking a shot at the Bears, I'm honestly curious.
The Bears went for decades without a decent QB.

Also, remember that the late 60’s was the Lombardi Packers dynasty. Aaron Rodgers was not the first Packer to “own” the Bears!

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
The Bears went for decades without a decent QB.

Also, remember that the late 60’s was the Lombardi Packers dynasty. Aaron Rodgers was not the first Packer to “own” the Bears!
Yeah. The '60s Packers made it a tough decade for all NFL teams.

seabowl

Reaction score
I’ve been to two of them:

1991 XV Giants Bills - won tickets at 1990 NFL draft

2014 XLVIII

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I watched every SB live starting from Raiders vs. Vikings in 1977.
I was in the Gulf War and missed the Bills vs. Giants SB in 1991.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The first Superbowl i watched was XIII (1978?) Pittsburgh vs. Dallas.

I believe I've watched every one since....perhaps I missed one but can't remember.
We must be around he same age. That was my first one too and have seen them all since.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I *think* I've seen every one. I was a very precocious sports fan. I learned how to read well from the sports page and Sports Illustrated, and learned math from sports stats more than anything else. I was very young for the first two SB's, and those games, especially the first, weren't that big of a deal at the time. It was the third SB where it really began to catch on with the public, and for me as well. A lot of that was because of the Jets and Joe Namath. I was a big Namath fan as a young boy, had his poster on my wall.

I may have missed one or two somewhere along the line, but if I did, I can't remember what game(s) it might have been. There were definitely games that don't at all stand out, to me, where I can barely remember anything about them, like the 49ers vs. Chargers game.
Heh. 😀 I remember thinking that Joe Willie had a big mouth and the Colts would stomp the Jets. I and most of the country got that Super Bowl wrong. The same thing happened the next year when I thought the Vikings would win and the Chiefs stomped them.

NoGain

Reaction score
Heh. 😀 I remember thinking that Joe Willie had a big mouth and the Colts would stomp the Jets. I and most of the country got that Super Bowl wrong. The same thing happened the next year when I thought the Vikings would win and the Chiefs stomped them.
I didn't know enough to know that the Jets had no chance in that game. LOL. I just remember that picture of Namath calm and cool poolside on a lounger just a few days before the game, and then, of course, the tunnel picture running off the field. I liked Namath a lot because he threw "the bomb" a lot, probably why he didn't have a high completion percentage.

I grew up a Bears fan, but I was a big fan of the old AFL, watching games on NBC with Curt Gowdy and Al Derogatis. There were teams I just liked (Jets, Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins), and they were on all the time because of the scarcity of teams, or interesting ones. I also thought the old AFL played a more innovative/different style of football.

Anyway...old memory lane...

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I didn't know enough to know that the Jets had no chance in that game. LOL. I just remember that picture of Namath calm and cool poolside on a lounger just a few days before the game, and then, of course, the tunnel picture running off the field. I liked Namath a lot because he threw "the bomb" a lot, probably why he didn't have a high completion percentage.

I grew up a Bears fan, but I was a big fan of the old AFL, watching games on NBC with Curt Gowdy and Al Derogatis. There were teams I just liked (Jets, Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers, Dolphins), and they were on all the time because of the scarcity of teams, or interesting ones. I also thought the old AFL played a more innovative/different style of football.

Dan Fouts was my favorite. And he had some great receivers, too.

RiverDog

Reaction score

I didn't much care for the Jets and was rooting for the Colts in SB III. I was pretty conservative back then, didn't like Namath's white shoes and long hair. But he was the first quarterback that had a quick, throw like a catcher release. Threw a lot of INT's, though. One time, after throwing 4 INTS in a game and on the bus home, one of the defensive linemen hollered out "Hey, Namath! Next week, we're wearing green."

I got to the point where I couldn't stand Curt Gowdy. He was way over exposed, did all of NBC's major sports, ie AFL football, MLB's Game of the Week, the World Series, NCAA Men's BB tourney, etc. To make matters worse, my dad, with just the one TV in the house, used to watch Gowdy in "The American Sportsman".

My favorite AFL team started out to be the Chiefs, but when Shula went from the Colts to the Dolphins, they immediately became my favorite. NFL, I started out being a Niners fan (ugh!), progressed to the Cowboys and later the Colts.

Then in 1976, everything changed.