Who has watched every Super Bowl?

ronnieboycefanclub

Reaction score
In the UK, ITV used to show highlights of the Superbowl in the early 1970's and I remember watching one around 1972. The BBC used to show highlights of the Rosebowl and always also featured the marching bands.

Regular highlights did not start until 1982 on Channel 4. Just in time for a strike.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I started following the NFL in 1971 when I was 6 and started out as a Chiefs fan but that quickly gave way to becoming a Dolphins fan for several years after their SB VI appearance and their undefeated season in 1972 where I watched them defeat the Redskins in SB VII. Griese and Csonka got a lot of the attention but Mercury Morris was my favorite player. Soon after I became a Lions fan and then when I moved to Seattle in 1993 I became a Seahawks fan. Since SBVII I've probably only missed a handful of SB's and over the last couple of decades I haven't missed any.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how old you are. Every Super Bowl is available to watch.

Deadgamer

Reaction score
as a kid I watched and rooted for Dallas since Dad was a Steelers fan lol after 76 we both switched to the home team and I have seen every Super Bowl they have been in, the others don't really matter.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I have watched every Super Bowl live as far back as I can recall. I have seen all of them recorded. I haven’t lived long enough to see all of them live. I will say some years it’s more about the commercials or social aspect as quite a few games have been snoozers.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I am age 77. I have seen everything since I first became a Bears fan during their 1963 championship season.
I lived my first 23 years in Illinois and am a Seahawks fan because i hated the bears and picked the most random ‘other’ team i could find at 12 years old.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I lived my first 23 years in Illinois and am a Seahawks fan because i hated the bears and picked the most random ‘other’ team i could find at 12 years old.
That seems weird. Why did you hate the Bears at age 12?

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Every single one. For the last 30 years or so I even have a tradition of taking the Monday and Tuesday after the Super Bowl off, just in case the Seahawks go and I party a little much on SB Sunday. For the 4 years I was in the Navy I was lucky enough not to be under water for the SB, I was either in port or on offcrew in Hawaii. The one I caught in Korea may have been tape delayed, I don't recall.

Like Riv I became a Dolphins fan when Shula left the Colts to become their coach. My uncle Jack was a Colts fan and one of my earliest football memories was him telling me that football was more fun when two people watching it together rooted for different color helmets; he was so mad about Shula leaving Picking the Fins was a natural. Until the Seahawks came along of course.

Optimus25

Reaction score
That seems weird. Why did you hate the Bears at age 12?
I hated them well before that, only chose my team at 12. Their colors, the city of Chicago, the Super Bowl shuffle, just an over arching feeling from the start that ‘they’ were not for me.

It was pretty fun to be the only fan of a team (well before the internet too) you knew. Like you couldn’t even find another one lol.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I was a Steve Largent fan before I was a Seahawks fan. Didn’t adopt Seahawks until we moved West.

Parallax

Reaction score
Well, at this point, the youngest anyone can be and remember at least a little about watching every super bowl is likely at least 60.
I probably have but can't be sure. I am 60. Will be 61 in April. My father watched when I was a kid and so I was probably there in the late 60s, watching those games with him. I have memories back to age 3 and remember watching football on a black and white set with my dad in our apartment. I remember him letting me taste his beer. I remember it was Balentine. I remember saying "the bubbles tickle my nose". But I have no specific memories of those particular games and I'm sure I didn't know it was the Superbowl, as I was just 3 or 4 and my dad wouldn't have taken the time to explain.

The first one that really registers is Superbowl III because we lived in New York (Long Island by then -- we'd moved out of the city the year before). Broadway Joe was a really big deal. I remember people being really excited but didn't get why. I was five. I was six by the time the Mets won the world series and that was a really big deal too. Tom Seaver -- I remember him.

Parallax

Reaction score
I got to the point where I couldn't stand Curt Gowdy. He was way over exposed, did all of NBC's major sports, ie AFL football, MLB's Game of the Week, the World Series, NCAA Men's BB tourney, etc. To make matters worse, my dad, with just the one TV in the house, used to watch Gowdy in "The American Sportsman".
The guy I remember most from football and boxing is Howard Cosell. Also, how he played himself in the Woody Allen film "Bananas" and on episodes of the TV sitcom "The Odd Couple". That distinctive New York voice and delivery. His quasi-intellectual style at times and how he also loved to ham it up.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The guy I remember most from football and boxing is Howard Cosell. Also, how he played himself in the Woody Allen film "Bananas" and on episodes of the TV sitcom "The Odd Couple". That distinctive New York voice and delivery. His quasi-intellectual style at times and how he also loved to ham it up.
Howard was an idiot, not a true football person. As you indicated, he was originally a boxing announcer. He had no business being a color man on a football broadcast. One time, a running back caught a pass about 15 or so yards downfield, and Howard exclaimed "That's the way to beat that zone, split it right down the middle!", to which Alex Karras replied, "That wasn't a zone, Howard," to which Frank Gifford said, "That's why the linebacker was covering him." Nothing but silence from Howard.

A bar in Denver once ran a promotion where they acquired an old TV set for MNF and put it in the middle of the bar, after which they'd raffle off a brick. Who ever won the raffle had one instruction: Wait until Howard Cosell said something stupid then he could throw the brick through the TV.

But the all-time worst color man hands down was Dennis Miller.

beaumaris

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has watched every Super Bowl. I watched the first 11, then went away to college and missed a few. As an adult, I've missed a handful. Has anyone seen every game?
I can’t remember missing one since 1981.

Parallax

Reaction score
Howard was an idiot, not a true football person. As you indicated, he was originally a boxing announcer. He had no business being a color man on a football broadcast. One time, a running back caught a pass about 15 or so yards downfield, and Howard exclaimed "That's the way to beat that zone, split it right down the middle!", to which Alex Karras replied, "That wasn't a zone, Howard," to which Frank Gifford said, "That's why the linebacker was covering him." Nothing but silence from Howard.

A bar in Denver once ran a promotion where they acquired an old TV set for MNF and put it in the middle of the bar, after which they'd raffle off a brick. Who ever won the raffle had one instruction: Wait until Howard Cosell said something stupid then he could throw the brick through the TV.

But the all-time worst color man hands down was Dennis Miller.
That's funny. I was a child when he was broadcasting so stuff like that was way over my head. I remember his distinctive style, which was very New York. I grew up in New York so it felt familiar, even though, looking back, he dripped with arrogance at times. I imagine it must have rubbed people in other parts of the country the wrong way, unless they just dismissed him as a sort of clown. Someone with his manners and speaking style would never get air time today. The media was once New York centric but is now distinctly middle American. Way less colorful in my opinion but also less offensive.

chris98251

Reaction score
Howard was a Lawyer originally, Frank and Dandy Don were the Football guys, Howard was originally like a liaison Journalist influence fan to give levity, represent fans as well as story's. Never was expected to be an x and o's person or know what it was like to actually be on the field.

Parallax

Reaction score
Howard was a Lawyer originally, Frank and Dandy Don were the Football guys, Howard was originally like a liaison Journalist influence fan to give levity, represent fans as well as story's. Never was expected to be an x and o's person or know what it was like to actually be on the field.
It's cool that there was space for a guy like that in the booth back then. I guess as the networks experimented to develop a formula, the Cosell role was deleted. Wish there was more experimentation now. I've enjoyed the Manning casts when it's just the brothers commenting. When they invite others, the conversations veer too far from the game and I find myself going back to the main broadcast.

My guess is most fans prefer the expert analysis of those who know the game well over perspectives of other sports fans, no matter how erudite or well educated.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's cool that there was space for a guy like that in the booth back then. I guess as the networks experimented to develop a formula, the Cosell role was deleted. Wish there was more experimentation now. I've enjoyed the Manning casts when it's just the brothers commenting. When they invite others, the conversations veer too far from the game and I find myself going back to the main broadcast.

My guess is most fans prefer the expert analysis of those who know the game well over perspectives of other sports fans, no matter how erudite or well educated.
The three man booth was originated on MNF, if you listened to games back then they sounded more radio news type, and with air time and screen time they had to have fill as well, Howard was great at that.

Latest posts