Who was right about Wilson pre-draft?

C-Dub

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":27yp795q said:
John Schneider
I remember them talking about taking him in the 2nd. Instead they took Wagner and got lucky that he was still there in the 3rd. Must have been unbearable to wait an entire round to see if your future franchise QB would still be there. I would have lost my mind.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":uxnxhkfs said:
CALIHAWK1":uxnxhkfs said:
Gruden nationally. Brock locally. Kearly in the house. Everyone else was a hater.

This. I'm literally not aware of another soul that was a fan of Wilson before the draft.

Except:

Football Outsiders. Wilson has the highest Lewin Career Forecast rating they've ever predicted. They even called him The Asterisk. His height, plus the differential in QB rating between his years at NC State and Wisconsin, combined to make him hard to predict through their model; but, it looks like their model is actually pretty damned accurate.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-dr ... ecast-2012

This is exactly the article I was thinking of.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I admit it. I was scared off by his height. I liked what I saw on youtube, but had reservations about how that would translate to the NFL. I'm SOOOOOOO glad that people a helluva lot smarter than me are making the football decisions around here....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
CANHawk":3uo9j1hi said:
I admit it. I was scared off by his height. I liked what I saw on youtube, but had reservations about how that would translate to the NFL. I'm SOOOOOOO glad that people a helluva lot smarter than me are making the football decisions around here....
The majority of people football-smarter than you and me said Wilson would bust because of his height across the board. (By 'board', I don't just mean here, but in the media in general, as well.)

Just sayin'.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
In a pre draft thread, somebody mentioned his high release point. My response? Are his eyeballs on antennas?
I had to see to believe. Label me as you see fit.

Largent80

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1c6y1ohq said:
In a pre draft thread, somebody mentioned his high release point. My response? Are his eyeballs on antennas?
I had to see to believe. Label me as you see fit.

He has Mr. Beans eyeballs.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Bret Bielema raved about him to any scout who'd listen.

I also recall Mayock being pretty high on Wilson.

Veilside

Reaction score
Most of my pre-draft enthusiasm for Russ came from Kearly pimping him and all the info he gave about him. That combined with watching his highlights and stats made me believe he could succeed in the NFL despite his height. I can honestly say he was the player I wanted us to get the most and it didn't matter to me which round; but I was expecting the 4th if it was gonna happen. During our pick in the 3rd I was totally expecting that Marine to say "Lamar Miller" but was completely ecstatic when he called Russell Wilson. I told everyone I talked to that he had a good chance to start over Flynn and that it would probably be the best case scenario if it happened.

Needless to say, my friends think I'm pretty damn knowledgeable but I owe most of it to this site. I do have some natural intuition though because I predicted Aaron Rodgers would be considered the best QB in the league back in 2008 just based off his skill + mobility which was pretty rare during that time.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1jpycy6n said:
I'm curious if any draft guys or NFL talking heads were saying Wilson was going to be a steal for the Hawks post draft or anyone who banged the table for him pre draft. I know Brock was pretty high on him but thats about it. Anyone else?
Okay I WILL BE HONEST about my assessment on taking Russell Wilson when we did.
First, and foremost we had just gone out and got Matt Flynn to be the leader, and EVERYBODY felt that Tarvaris Jackson was a great BACK-UP but not THE #1 type Quarterback we all wanted.
I felt secure with Flynn at # 1, and his back-up role to be a shootout between Jackson & Wilson.
I was old school about bringing in rookie Quarterbacks, and having them sitting out their first Year watching and learning in the NFL arenas.
NOW?, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong.
I didn't have a whole lot of faith & trust in Schneider, nor Carroll for finding Quarterbacks, because after all, it was obvious to me that they took Bevels opinion by bringing in Jackson, and then Whitehurst???????, C'mon, show me where I didn't have a legitimate downer perception on their abilities to finding us a true winning Quarterback.
All said and done though, it's obvious that the rest of the League couldn't spot the diamond amongst all those chunks of coal, and Schneider/Carroll did.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3hkxqkdw said:
I can tell you this. A trustworthy source (a friend of mine) who is also close friends with Leslie Frazier told me that Frazier wanted to draft Wilson early. He was very high or RW's intangibles. Frazier was overruled and told 'no, we have to play out our hand with Ponder'

Imagine how many careers that mandate altered.

They could of had him too in the 3rd round before the Seahawks. Wilson with AP ....

I did however tell everyone after the first preseason game (not on this board) that Wilson SHOULD be the Starter and I would not be suprised if he is the best QB of the Draft. I would say that is somewhat true. Luck and RG3 are probably on the same level.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":21uqixgn said:
CANHawk":21uqixgn said:
The majority of people football-smarter than you and me said Wilson would bust because of his height across the board. (By 'board', I don't just mean here, but in the media in general, as well.)

Just sayin'.
Bill Polian said his ceiling was 'good back-up' IIRC.

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
I remember Jon Gruden fighting with Mel Kiper during the draft and i just wanted to jump into the tv and choke Mel Kiper with Gruden. I loved watching him in Wisconsin and telling my friends that he was going to be great. One of my friends is a Green Bay fan and i even bet him 50 bucks that Wilson was going to beat out Matt Flynn by his second year ha. He did it way before i predicted but anyways yea Im glad all those experts missed on him cause we might of not had him had they not.

sliv

Reaction score
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! was arguing about it with a lot of people on here about it and if you don't know better ask somebody. It is whatever though because the same things happened with the Hutchinson versus Alexander argument .... the he is just a guard bs.... and calling Lofa Tutupu a hobbit and saying Rob Rang was full of bs that everyone would have a Tutupu jersey. It happens over and over again ...........it doesn't stop people from making definitive statements like Russell Wilson is too short to be an NFL QB. It will happen again, peeps love to act like they know everything..... and shoot down out of the box thinking.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I called it from day one. I had identified him years ago during my in depth scouting of the Wolfpack. I posted about him on my draft site years ago. Liked his three cone drill and he could really spin the ball.

DavidCruz24

Reaction score
I think what surprises me the most about Russell is his mobility, we all know he was mobile but even in college i didnt see him make some of the plays he does now. Probably because of the system they ran in Wisconsin didnt really call for that but his athleticism is off the charts. I dont understand why all the experts call Kap and RG3 superior athletes. Russell was a 3 sport star in high school and a good college baseball player. Kap and RG3 have speed but imo Wilson is a superior athlete. He proves it every game.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pete Carroll, February 27, 2012:

"We're looking for a great competitor. We're looking for a guy that can really carry it when it's tough and make plays when you need it to happen, that affects guys around him in a real positive way because of what he brings," Carroll said.

"There's a lot more to it than just physical stature, but really, we'd like to have a guy that can run a little bit and complement the running game and do something for us -- get out on the edge and threaten enough to keep the run game that we're so committed to alive and at its best."

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3dz02ztw said:
Pete Carroll, February 27, 2012:

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but damn, it sure seems like Carroll was telegraphing who he wanted to draft for QB at that time, haha.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3b8hrvol said:
I called it from day one. I had identified him years ago during my in depth scouting of the Wolfpack. I posted about him on my draft site years ago. Liked his three cone drill and he could really spin the ball.

Thinktank waanabe

Sac

Reaction score
I predicted he would become a badass. Just like I did for literally every other Seahawks player. Ever.

Latest posts