Who would you prefer at QB?

12forlife

Reaction score
Getting close to having a new HC. Do want the new coach roll with Geno, or if on the cheap would ya like to give Fields a shot? Or would you like to draft a rookie?
Personally I'm leaning towards draft a rookie, and let them sit behind Geno until ready. This doesn't necessarily have to be a 1st rd pick.
Rattler
Travis
Pratt
These guys should all be available 2-4 rd?

bigcc

Reaction score
Draft a qb round one, move/cut geno.

Fields has one year on his contract, if he plays well you have to pay him at which point should just keep geno.

That being said, try to move/cut geno (33 btw) and save 38.8 mil over the next 2 years pre June 1, or 47.5 mil post June 1

Everyone here should know the value of a qb on rookie contract from experience (if old enough I guess)

Geno would be great if the rest of the team was playoff run (emphasis on run) ready, but it's not yet, and that money would certainly help.

I don't agree with sitting a qb at all, especially when we have the receivers we do, certainly worse groups they could walk in to

Rat

Reaction score
Taking QBs after the first round with the hope that they'll become the guy is a terrible strategy to the point of being reckless. The hit rate is well under 10% (under 5% most rounds). Not to say you should never draft a QB, sometimes you get lucky, but the vast majority of those times those guys get thrust into starting roles it's a Quincy Carter or a DeShon Kizer. Guys like Andy Dalton and Derek Carr are the hits, and does anyone really want to pay them like franchise QBs?

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
I get it’s a crapshoot. But just answering the question. Cut geno. Get a cheap qb that isn’t going to win many games. Tank while trying to win. Get high draft picks, very high draft picks over the next couple years and find and draft that “top tier” rookie qb of the future.

bigcc

Reaction score
I get it’s a crapshoot. But just answering the question. Cut geno. Get a cheap qb that isn’t going to win many games. Tank while trying to win. Get high draft picks, very high draft picks over the next couple years and find and draft that “top tier” rookie qb of the future.
You can find a guy at 16 this year, it's a crazy qb class

Not particularly a huge fan of the prospect of burning riq/witherspoon/jsn rookie contracts... We won 9 games in a tough division last year despite some idiotic losses (Bengals, rams round 2,cowboys, steelers)

I agree about geno, but why not just run it with the rookie qb?

Dk/lockett/Jsn is a receiving corps any rookie should die for

kidhawk

Reaction score
You draft a quarterback early if he’s there for you or trading up doesn’t mean overpaying. For now though He is our only feasible quarterback and he isn’t a bad quarterback. He just needs a half decent defense to relieve some of the pressure from him and an OC who will jump start the running attack. Running on both sides of the ball is our main problem. Some of that is in the trenches and some of that is scheme. If we overspend in a quarterback we can’t fix the real issues in the trenches. Hopefully the new coach and coordinators will fix the scheme issues.

To sum up. Take a quarterback early if the one you want falls in your lap but don’t sell out the run game to get him. A run game is important with both keeping Geno and drafting a young replacement.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Draft Michael Pennix, cut Geno, sit back and watch the Superbowls roll in
The guy who shat the bed against Michigan? Wilting under the hot lights of college elimination tourney doesn't bode well for his pro prospects.

Unless this was in jest?

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
You can find a guy at 16 this year, it's a crazy qb class

Not particularly a huge fan of the prospect of burning riq/witherspoon/jsn rookie contracts... We won 9 games in a tough division last year despite some idiotic losses (Bengals, rams round 2,cowboys, steelers)

I agree about geno, but why not just run it with the rookie qb?

Dk/lockett/Jsn is a receiving corps any rookie should die for
I get the points. There are some decent prospects but at 16 I’m not sold on nix, penix or McCarthy. I see too many flaws in all of them

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The guy who shat the bed against Michigan? Wilting under the hot lights of college elimination tourney doesn't bode well for his pro prospects.

Unless this was in jest?
He did the best he could.

It was in jest, yes. I like Pennix but he would really struggle behind this O line

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Drafting a QB is a crap shot and the odds go down the lower you draft. Outside about a top 5 pick it is reckless to have your rookie as the ony real starter option. Lets look at recent QBs drafted lower than 5 (and n the top 2 rounds) (we can't realisitcally trade for a top 5 pick)

Levis (drafted 33 in 2023) started as the 3rd string QB for the Titans,
Kenny Pickett (20 in 2022) drafted to compete with Trubisky
Fields (11 in 2021) was drafted as Daltons backup (or possibly to compete with him)
Mac Jones (15 in 2021) was drafted to compete with Cam Newton
Kyle Trask (64 in 2021) the the Buccs third stringer
Herbert (6 in 2020) was Tyrod Taylor's back-up when Taylor was injured in week 2 he grasped his opportunity
Love (26 in 2020) Rogers Back-up
Hurts (53 in 2020) Originally Eagles 3rd QB quickly sucured the back-up role and given the chance to take over from Wentz late in his first season
Drafted (6 in 2019) as Mannings back-up stella pre-season perfornances led to him getting the starter roll in week 3
Dwaine Haskins (15 in 2019) Drafted to compete with Case Keenum and got the starter job in week 4
Lock (42 in 2019) was injured for week 1 but Flacco would have been the intended starter if Lock was fit.

Note that of those only Mac Jones started on week 1 and even for him at the time of the draft I expect the Pats were thinking Newton would probably be their starter.

Drafting a QB in the 1st round and keeping Geno is a "Jam tomorrow" strategy, by the end of the season we might have enough faith in our QBOTF to cut Geno but with a new HC I suspect that wont happen.

Drafting a QB and cutting Geno to make cap space means we would be in a position similar to Washington in 2019 or the Steelers in 2022 having to start either a journeyman who is OK as a backup but you wouldn't want as a starter or a rookie who is almost certainly worse in week 1 but might get better as the season goes on.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Draft Michael Pennix, cut Geno, sit back and watch the Superbowls roll in
Watch his career follow David Carrs. Ideally we land a QB who can run and throw. But it appears Daniels will be long gone. That said, if he’s impressive in workouts, and if he’s the guy, trade our 1st and next years 1 for him.

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Watch his career follow David Carrs. Ideally we land a QB who can run and throw. But it appears Daniels will be long gone. That said, if he’s impressive in workouts, and if he’s the guy, trade our 1st and next years 1 for him.
If he is impressive in workouts he will probably go top 3 and there will be a fair bit of competition. We would probably also need to throw in next years 2nd or a couple of 3rds and how are wa going to sort out our defence with no picks. If they are a bust we are really messed up.

Stick with Geno, if they see someone with potential available in the 3rd take them with the hope they can be the starter for 2025. Who knows they could be the next RW3 and beat Geno for the starting job this year (though that is even more unlikely than getting somone at 15 who is better than Geno from week 1).

Rat

Reaction score
Jumping from 16 to 3 would be really difficult without anything better than a mid-third rounder to give from this year's draft. We'd probably have to throw in a good, young player. Also doesn't help that the team drafting third is arguably the league's most quarterback-deficient team. Maybe one of the top three pass on a QB in favor of Marvin Harrison Jr, and then one of the QBs falls to #4, but that's Arizona. We'd likely have to pay a huge premium to get them to even listen to us.

This really doesn't set up well for us to move up.

OP
OP

12forlife

Reaction score
I dont believe a new HC will want to "tank", that often times has the HC looking for work?

Fade

Reaction score
Taking QBs after the first round with the hope that they'll become the guy is a terrible strategy to the point of being reckless. The hit rate is well under 10% (under 5% most rounds). Not to say you should never draft a QB, sometimes you get lucky, but the vast majority of those times those guys get thrust into starting roles it's a Quincy Carter or a DeShon Kizer. Guys like Andy Dalton and Derek Carr are the hits, and does anyone really want to pay them like franchise QBs?
Adding on to this. In the divisional round, 7/8 QBs were drafted in the 1st round.

Guys just don't slip through the cracks anymore.

Purdy and Preschoke are the only very good QBs found later in the draft in the last 10 years.

It's like a 1 in 65 ish chance.

1st round is a 1 in 5 ish chance.