Who would you prefer at QB?

WarHawks

Reaction score
There are always going to be needs other than qb. Always. But without a great qb, you've got nothing. We have to take our chances and draft one, or we'll be floundering around for another ten years.

Chevy

Reaction score
Geno proved he isn't 20+ million dollars a year. I know he would cost 30+ million which is crazy. There are stud Free Agents that we can make a significant improvement to this team.

OP
OP

12forlife

Reaction score
Keep Geno and if possible, Lock as well.

There’s a lot of holes on this team. If you put them in rank order, QB doesn’t even make the top 5.
Horse droppings!! QB is #1 that isn't a question, with out a highly ranked QB your nothing. Realize it's possible to feel holes in FA. Your not picking up an elite QB in FA, or without trading the farm. This Draft is loaded with QB talent I absolutely guarantee we draft a QB, unless we take a chance with fields? Even then I bet we draft either Fields or Geno's backup/QBOTF.

OP
OP

12forlife

Reaction score
Horse droppings!! QB is #1 that isn't a question, with out a highly ranked QB your nothing. Realize it's possible to feel holes in FA. Your not picking up an elite QB in FA, or without trading the farm. This Draft is loaded with QB talent I absolutely guarantee we draft a QB, unless we take a chance with fields? Even then I bet we draft either Fields or Geno's backup/QBOTF.
I know that Mike MacDonald is a Defensive minded coach, but if we hire him maybe he likes the Lamar style QB, and wants to test out Fields? They are very similar in their play style? I just don't like in '25 he will probably want $40 mil+.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Keep Geno and if possible, Lock as well.

There’s a lot of holes on this team. If you put them in rank order, QB doesn’t even make the top 5.

If this were Pete and Waldron I think keeping CNN Lock makes sense but I just think the new coach should pick a backup that will fit the style of offense we are going to play. Could that be Lock? I don’t think so but I can’t rule it out completely.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I don't agree with sitting a QB at all, especially when we have the receivers we do, certainly worse groups they could walk in to
Starting a rookie QB doesn't always work out, there are lots of examples of why it's better sit them early. It really comes down to the player and their learning curve. Not every QB can do what Russell Wilson did.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankin...he-past-15-years-can-mac-jones-russell-wilson
https://theathletic.com/2830789/202...tting-a-historical-look-at-a-tricky-question/

SeaWolv

Reaction score
There are always going to be needs other than qb. Always. But without a great qb, you've got nothing. We have to take our chances and draft one, or we'll be floundering around for another ten years.
Look at the Jets, Rodgers goes down and even with a great defense they struggle with Zach Wlson.

NoGain

Reaction score
The guy who shat the bed against Michigan? Wilting under the hot lights of college elimination tourney doesn't bode well for his pro prospects.

Unless this was in jest?
He had a bad game, no doubt, but he didn't wilt under the pressure. He played very well in plenty of big games last season, two against Oregon, Texas in the semis, USC... The guy displayed sound poise under pressure this year.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
We need to draft a QB for the future from the next few draft classes.

Geno is a 10 year vet and probably isn't going to play a lot longer. We don't know what the learning curve will be for whoever we draft. Having Geno around playing at a decent level allows any potential draft pick a year to ease into the system and learn the playbook without the pressure of having to win games right away.

That probably means we need to draft a QB sooner than later.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Geno proved he isn't 20+ million dollars a year. I know he would cost 30+ million which is crazy. There are stud Free Agents that we can make a significant improvement to this team.
Over the Cap Value Geno at $26.5m which I think is about right.
The only free agent I think that would be an improvemnet on Geno is Kirk Cousins and that is on the assumption he fully recovers from his injury. If the medical reports look good someone will pay him at least $35m possibly $40m for a one year contract as a bridge quarterback. We can not afford to pay that and pay Geno's dead cap. At the age of 36 he is not a long term solution.
The only other possible "stud free agent" I can think of is Mayfield. After a series of poor seasons he has had one good one. I expect he will get a franchise tag but even if he doesn't someone will be willing to give him a deal north of $30m per annum and who is to say he doesn't "do a Geno" and revert towards the mean next year.

The only QBs who earn less than $30m are those on rookie contracts and those you don't want to have as a starter on your team.

GemCity

Reaction score
Look…I’m used to this team not drafting a QB. If I lower my expectations, and assume we’re going to do the same ol shit, I can be at peace and not disappointed when we draft another Dee Eskridge or LJ Collier.

GemCity

Reaction score
Every fan wants a dynamic QB. 💯 agree it’s the most important position on the field.

But think about it from the GMs or managements perspective. Is QB really the biggest problem on this team?

While I don’t think Geno is the long term solution, I do prefer building from the trenches and going from there.

They could really do BPA this draft….

The only way we get a QB this draft, that’s going to be a quality guy, is likely by trading up…and we’re not in the best position to do that.

Now if JS makes a move, or grabs one in the later rounds, I’m going to assume that he’s a stud. Diamond in the rough…

Rat

Reaction score
But think about it from the GMs or managements perspective. Is QB really the biggest problem on this team?
In regards to what is most likely to hinder our long-term success? Absolutely it is. If your primary goal is getting this team from 9-8 to 10-7 next season, as opposed to getting in position to contend for championships, yeah I guess there are bigger issues.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm prepared for a rebuild.

Thus I'd be interested in getting a young player at QB to develop

We have seen Geno's ceiling and while it's nothing special it's still above average, but the team does not truly know what they have in Drew Lock who played very well in the Philly game and was strong at the end. Geno is more disciplined but Lock may have an unrealized higher ceiling. If we had a rookie to develop and Lock was the presumptive starter for a season or so, our QB cost could be lower and the team could be better off at the position. Perhaps that is an unpopular view but there needs to be real change and GEE-NO is not going to ever take the team to elite levels. I'd see first if a trade for Geno could be made then if not his cap cost needs to be lower or he's just too expensive for his results.

Trading back in the 1st to acquire an early 2nd then drafting a young QB to develop and loading up afterwards on the interior OLine and at ILB and DT to me seems to be the way to go.

The team will be close to being competitive and could surpass if they can strengthen the D.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
In regards to what is most likely to hinder our long-term success? Absolutely it is. If your primary goal is getting this team from 9-8 to 10-7 next season, as opposed to getting in position to contend for championships, yeah I guess there are bigger issues.
We're also not just filling holes with the draft, we've got FA as well. You're not going to find a stud QB in FA without a huge price tag. So yes we have a lot of holes but the QB hole is usually fixed through the draft, the other holes not filled in the draft can be filled through FA.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I'm prepared for a rebuild.

Thus I'd be interested in getting a young player at QB to develop

We have seen Geno's ceiling and while it's nothing special it's still above average, but the team does not truly know what they have in Drew Lock who played very well in the Philly game and was strong at the end. Geno is more disciplined but Lock may have an unrealized higher ceiling. If we had a rookie to develop and Lock was the presumptive starter for a season or so, our QB cost could be lower and the team could be better off at the position. Perhaps that is an unpopular view but there needs to be real change and GEE-NO is not going to ever take the team to elite levels. I'd see first if a trade for Geno could be made then if not his cap cost needs to be lower or he's just too expensive for his results.

Trading back in the 1st to acquire an early 2nd then drafting a young QB to develop and loading up afterwards on the interior OLine and at ILB and DT to me seems to be the way to go.

The team will be close to being competitive and could surpass if they can strengthen the D.
While I agree with most of what you said, in regards to Lock I'm not so sure. He's not starting for a reason. QB's don't generally look better in a game than they do in practice. There's a reason he hasn't been a starter since he came into the league in 2019.

Rat

Reaction score
Lock is a free agent too. He didn't really have any suiters last offseason, but it's not a guarantee we could just have him back on another $4 million one-year deal.

Jake Browning is an interesting name who could be on the trade market. He has value to the Bengals as a backup, but I could see them looking into moving him while his value is higher. He was insanely efficient filling in for Burrow last year, and not just in a "game manager" kind of way. He showed a lot of poise.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score