Who would you prefer at QB?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We might not be able to win right out of the gate either way considering a likely first time HC in one of the toughest divisions in football. There's no guarantee a year 2 qb with literally no nfl experience can win right out of the gate either. At some point you need to make the transition and we know what geno's ceiling is, he's not going to turn a new leaf at 34 years old, "win now" means 8-9 wins, maybe. The extra cap saved gets spent on "win now" players btw

And geno puts up slightly above average play with our receivers.... If he's throwing to say Carolinas receivers, he's not putting up slightly above average play lol, so that's not quite what that means
You're saying that Geno's ceiling is 8-9 wins despite winning 9 two years in a row while compensating for a bottom 3 defense in all of football?

That... seems kind of questionable

bigcc

Reaction score
You're saying that Geno's ceiling is 8-9 wins despite winning 9 two years in a row while compensating for a bottom 3 defense in all of football?

That... seems kind of questionable
We're likely going to have a first year head coach, a first year gm with full power, a first year OC, and a first year DC.

Also given our cap situation, we're very likely going to be losing more in free agency than we're gaining.

I'm sure people can argue that some of these things may be positives, but at this juncture I don't think it's unreasonable to say geno's ceiling is 8-9 wins.

BTW if we draft a qb to sit him we're paying him about 2.8 mil to do nothing while we're 5 mil in the hole, and if we wait until next year we're back to the same discussion about geno vs rookie qb, except in a much weaker qb draft class

This is the year to do it

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
We're likely going to have a first year head coach, a first year gm with full power, a first year OC, and a first year DC.

Also given our cap situation, we're very likely going to be losing more in free agency than we're gaining.

I'm sure people can argue that some of these things may be positives, but at this juncture I don't think it's unreasonable to say geno's ceiling is 8-9 wins.

BTW if we draft a qb to sit him we're paying him about 2.8 mil to do nothing while we're 5 mil in the hole, and if we wait until next year we're back to the same discussion about geno vs rookie qb, except in a much weaker qb draft class

Yeah, that's fair. I hadn't considered that all the way through.

I'm having trouble adjusting to a post-Pete world. Haven't had to consider this type of year-over-year change in well over a decade now. Kind of crazy.

OC will be crucial to Geno's viability if a DC is coming in. If it were someone like Ben Johnson, I'd roll with Geno all the way though after the work he's done with Goff (and the fact that he's bringing OL coach Hank Fraley over with him as OC according to reports).

Lot up in the air.

Agreed that it's a good time to start grooming a young dude to take over. I hope John sees something in one of these mid-rounders, because I've got serious doubts about all of the mid-first to mid-second guys in Penix/Nix/JJ.

bigcc

Reaction score
Yeah, that's fair. I hadn't considered that all the way through.

I'm having trouble adjusting to a post-Pete world. Haven't had to consider this type of year-over-year change in well over a decade now. Kind of crazy.

OC will be crucial to Geno's viability if a DC is coming in. If it were someone like Ben Johnson, I'd roll with Geno all the way though after the work he's done with Goff (and the fact that he's bringing OL coach Hank Fraley over with him as OC according to reports).

Lot up in the air.

Agreed that it's a good time to start grooming a young dude to take over. I hope John sees something in one of these mid-rounders, because I've got serious doubts about all of the mid-first to mid-second guys in Penix/Nix/JJ.
There's also the fact that Geno had been here one season and threw a whopping 5 passes before waldron came in

This might be unfair, but it's absolutely worth consideration... Before waldron geno was a bum, he's started more games the 3 years waldron was here than the previous 7 combined... And he only started 3 year 1 of waldron.

Whole new scheme to learn now, if it's ben Johnson I wouldn't be concerned because goff's intangibles aren't why he's done well with the lions lmao. But I think it's all but a sure thing he's going to Washington (why not after all... 2nd pick of the draft in stacked qb class, can pick his guy)

Expecting to find your guy in mid round 1+ is frankly unrealistic, we got lucky last time. Mid 1st+ QB's are always going to have serious doubts for one reason or another.

QB's taken 15-100 (early 4th round) round the last 3 (!) years:

Mac Jones
Kyle Trask
Kellen Mond
Kenny Pickett
Desmond Ridder
Malik Willis
Matt Corrall
Will Levis
Hendon Hooker

NINE QB's taken in THREE years from 15-100

3 years of data, I don't know how you can look at this and tell me neither penix or the little brother he bullied without the (pe) upgrade nix don't look SIGNIFICANTLY more pro ready (I MIGHT consider jj very late 3rd).

I wouldn't be opposed to trading down a couple of picks (a couple of times if it comes to it) if both penix and nix are available

Penix and nix will both be 24, they aren't 21-22 year old QB's expected to have years of development (Wilson turned 24 like halfway through his rookie year btw)

TLDR: we're in a rare situation where it's a super deep QB class, we have an aging qb who had literally zero success without the OC who left, we have negative cap room and can save a ton cutting said qb

For the love of god please capitalize on the circumstances

seahawks08

Reaction score
Rebuild will involve maximizing talent of folks who are in contract and find pieces where talent to pay ratio doesn’t make sense. I would continue with Geno and let a prospect sit for a year. A new HC wouldn’t prefer a QB in 16 or have to sell the farm. Depending on how it lands we could sell the farm but if JS is making the calls and the new HC is smart, they wouldn’t jeopardize picking a rookie QB to define their blue print. NFL ready QBs are rare and if you don’t protect them by shoring up the line and a killer defense, they become non productive. Either way I would make a rookie sit. I know Russ was an exception, but that kind of evaluation in camp has to be thorough.

halps80

Reaction score
Everyone seems to assume that a new head coach wants to draft and start a rookie QB. That’s a tall order when also learning to be a head coach, building a new staff, and getting veteran players to buy in. If it is Ben Johnson, recognize that he made his name with a veteran reclamation project at QB - a guy truly on his last chance. If he chooses Seattle, Geno may actually be a part of the appeal for him.

Jegpeg

Reaction score

That is if we pick a QB at 16, getting a QB in the 3rd round would be about $1m while that does reduce the chance they will be up for the starting role in 2025 I think that is the best option.
If pick our starting QB #16 who would you have as back-up? As I posted above in recent Years Mac Jones is the only rookie QB to start in week 1 and even he had to beat Cam Newton for the starting roll. Every front office in recent years unless they have a top 3 pick do not expect a rookie QB to start week 1. The expected starter is always a vet. Jordan Love was drafted with no chance of starting outside of injury others like Dwaine Haskins might have had a realisitc chance of beating Case Keenum (and did in week 4).
A strategy of we will draft our QBOTF at 16 (or even trade up to get then at around 8) has not been tried for a reason.
If the front office are convinced Lock is capable of being a decent starter (as there were with Geno and/or Lock in the 2022 off season) then resigning Lock and have him compete with a rookie isn't unpresidented but is very high risk for a new HC.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Change is hard, which is why people try to find ways to avoid it. Those who can embrace it and get ahead of it and make it work for them, will be miles ahead of those who hold on to the past too tightly. Embrace change. That's what Pete and John did early on before Pete got conservative, and that's where the pot of gold lies.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
You may luck into a Rookie, but I would think the New Head Coach would want to put a scheme on offense and defense in place before he puts a Rookie QB in to get shell shocked while the team learns around him. Geno will be fine, you have to establish the new offense and defense system and get key players in them to start with before you worry about your Franchise QB.