Who would you prefer at QB?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Two reasons of significance why Lock is not starting is because Pete wanted to demonstrate his player loyalty to Geno, and because when the decision was being made Lock came down with Covid and missed his chance to prove out against Dallas in the pre-season.
We need money to do whatever we need to do and we're short on draft picks this year.
A new coach coming in will have preferences regarding QB style. My choice will always be dual threat as opposed to a pocket fixture. Regardless, we need money and slashing Geno is one way to get some and maybe increase our number of picks at the same time.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
He had a bad game, no doubt, but he didn't wilt under the pressure. He played very well in plenty of big games last season, two against Oregon, Texas in the semis, USC... The guy displayed sound poise under pressure this year.
Wilt may be a little strong, but Penix absolutely was affected by Michigan’s rush. Footwork got loose, throws were rushed, and accuracy suffered.

He had his worst game and ultimately it cost them the natty. Sure the defense had serious issues early on, but they firmed up and gave the offense multiple opportunities to take back the game.

OP
OP

12forlife

Reaction score
We're also not just filling holes with the draft, we've got FA as well. You're not going to find a stud QB in FA without a huge price tag. So yes we have a lot of holes but the QB hole is usually fixed through the draft, the other holes not filled in the draft can be filled through FA.
Preacher Brother!!! 💯

OP
OP

12forlife

Reaction score
Look…I’m used to this team not drafting a QB. If I lower my expectations, and assume we’re going to do the same ol shit, I can be at peace and not disappointed when we draft another Dee Eskridge or LJ Collier.
Well it should be interesting to see our draft philosophy now without Pete's shinanigans?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Two reasons of significance why Lock is not starting is because Pete wanted to demonstrate his player loyalty to Geno, and because when the decision was being made Lock came down with Covid and missed his chance to prove out against Dallas in the pre-season.
We need money to do whatever we need to do and we're short on draft picks this year.
A new coach coming in will have preferences regarding QB style. My choice will always be dual threat as opposed to a pocket fixture. Regardless, we need money and slashing Geno is one way to get some and maybe increase our number of picks at the same time.
There's no way Coach Meritocracy was going to promote a QB that didn't earn it over one that did due to COVID. That's not Pete's way. If it's cap space we need there are other places to go get it, like Adams.
I too prefer dual threat QB's also but I don't want to have to put them at risk of injury unless we need it so being good in the pocket is just as critical.

Last edited:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Go steal all the rabbits feet in the entire town of Green Bay. Then use the rabbits feet to draft a QB. Should result in Hall of Fame caliber player.

GemCity

Reaction score
I'm prepared for a rebuild.

Thus I'd be interested in getting a young player at QB to develop

We have seen Geno's ceiling and while it's nothing special it's still above average, but the team does not truly know what they have in Drew Lock who played very well in the Philly game and was strong at the end. Geno is more disciplined but Lock may have an unrealized higher ceiling. If we had a rookie to develop and Lock was the presumptive starter for a season or so, our QB cost could be lower and the team could be better off at the position. Perhaps that is an unpopular view but there needs to be real change and GEE-NO is not going to ever take the team to elite levels. I'd see first if a trade for Geno could be made then if not his cap cost needs to be lower or he's just too expensive for his results.

Trading back in the 1st to acquire an early 2nd then drafting a young QB to develop and loading up afterwards on the interior OLine and at ILB and DT to me seems to be the way to go.

The team will be close to being competitive and could surpass if they can strengthen the D.
I didn’t want to say that dirty word…but, that’s exactly what I’m hoping we do—rebuild.

GemCity

Reaction score
Wilt may be a little strong, but Penix absolutely was affected by Michigan’s rush. Footwork got loose, throws were rushed, and accuracy suffered.

He had his worst game and ultimately it cost them the natty. Sure the defense had serious issues early on, but they firmed up and gave the offense multiple opportunities to take back the game.
Worst game against talent he’ll see all day in the NFL.

I really like Penix…he’s as exciting as any prospect. Its always a crap shoot though.

Chevy

Reaction score
Over the Cap Value Geno at $26.5m which I think is about right.
The only free agent I think that would be an improvemnet on Geno is Kirk Cousins and that is on the assumption he fully recovers from his injury. If the medical reports look good someone will pay him at least $35m possibly $40m for a one year contract as a bridge quarterback. We can not afford to pay that and pay Geno's dead cap. At the age of 36 he is not a long term solution.
The only other possible "stud free agent" I can think of is Mayfield. After a series of poor seasons he has had one good one. I expect he will get a franchise tag but even if he doesn't someone will be willing to give him a deal north of $30m per annum and who is to say he doesn't "do a Geno" and revert towards the mean next year.

The only QBs who earn less than $30m are those on rookie contracts and those you don't want to have as a starter on your team.
The stud free agents, I was referring to, are not QBs. They are position players. The Geno money can instead be used to sign game impacting pass rushers.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
All of this is conjecture at this point...It will all depend on decisions that our new head coach will make.

The fact that we have not hired Dan Quinn, a real "company man", makes me think that Seahawks management are really interested in Ben Johnson.

We have two good quarterbacks with known qualities that could carry the team over into a transition. Pick one...(or both). This would free up draft choices for best player available to fill any team weakness...In my opinion our biggest needs are Offensive and Defensive Line and Safety!

We do not have a second round draft choice...I am pretty sure that we will need to "trade back" and have a "team building draft".

I really feel OK and optimistic about Geno...maybe Lock will give us a "super good guy deal" too.!

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Why put a Rookie Quarterback behind an Offensive Line that can not protect him? That would both, break him physically and more importantly..."f-up" the young athletes self confidence.

Chevy

Reaction score
I want Travis if we hire an Head coach that is a former offensive coordinator.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Renegotiate or cut Geno
Sign best cheap vet
go all in on moving up for a QB in the draft
expect a down year but be pleasantly surprised when it is not

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Renegotiate or cut Geno
Sign best cheap vet
go all in on moving up for a QB in the draft
expect a down year but be pleasantly surprised when it is not
Geno's $31 mil/yr price tag is pretty cheap for an above average NFL starter (18 of 32). I'd rather see them renegotiate/cut Adams' $27 mil contract, Lockett's $28 mil contract or Diggs'$21 mil contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

bigcc

Reaction score
I'm prepared for a rebuild.

Thus I'd be interested in getting a young player at QB to develop

We have seen Geno's ceiling and while it's nothing special it's still above average, but the team does not truly know what they have in Drew Lock who played very well in the Philly game and was strong at the end. Geno is more disciplined but Lock may have an unrealized higher ceiling. If we had a rookie to develop and Lock was the presumptive starter for a season or so, our QB cost could be lower and the team could be better off at the position. Perhaps that is an unpopular view but there needs to be real change and GEE-NO is not going to ever take the team to elite levels. I'd see first if a trade for Geno could be made then if not his cap cost needs to be lower or he's just too expensive for his results.

Trading back in the 1st to acquire an early 2nd then drafting a young QB to develop and loading up afterwards on the interior OLine and at ILB and DT to me seems to be the way to go.

The team will be close to being competitive and could surpass if they can strengthen the D.
I agree with everything you said except lock.

If we take a qb in the 1st he needs to be the guy out of the gate.

I don't think lock is a starting nfl qb either way, but it doesn't really matter since he's a free agent anyways. Anything more than vet min isn't worth bringing him back regardless of whether it's geno or a rookie, draft a qb late to be a backup, we'd save like 3.25 mil over resigning lock for another 1/4

bigcc

Reaction score
Geno's $31 mil/yr price tag is pretty cheap for an above average NFL starter (18 of 32). I'd rather see them renegotiate/cut Adams' $27 mil contract, Lockett's $28 mil contract or Diggs'$21 mil contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/
It's not an either/or situation.

Seahawks are 5 million in the red with 49 players signed currently, and that 5 mil doesn't factor in keeping leonard (or Bobby or Brooks or brown or Lewis etc etc) OR the draft class.

They need to literally do all 4 of the things you mentioned.

I don't think geno's deal is terrible either, but he will be 34 less than a quarter into the season... Makes sense to draft qb of the future

Know what's cheaper than 31 mil? 15.5 (if we take a qb at pick 16), except that 15.5 is spread over the next 4 years with us having the right to a cheap 5th year, instead of the 1 year 31 mil gets us of slightly above average play (which any qb should be able to do with our receivers).

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Know what's cheaper than 31 mil? 15.5 (if we take a qb at pick 16), except that 15.5 is spread over the next 4 years with us having the right to a cheap 5th year, instead of the 1 year 31 mil gets us of slightly above average play (which any qb should be able to do with our receivers).
Problem is that rookie QB might be able to win right out of the gate.

Also, above average QB play, as we both agreed Geno is, means average to below average QB's can't do it.

bigcc

Reaction score
Problem is that rookie QB might be able to win right out of the gate.

Also, above average QB play, as we both agreed Geno is, means average to below average QB's can't do it.
We might not be able to win right out of the gate either way considering a likely first time HC in one of the toughest divisions in football. There's no guarantee a year 2 qb with literally no nfl experience can win right out of the gate either. At some point you need to make the transition and we know what geno's ceiling is, he's not going to turn a new leaf at 34 years old, "win now" means 8-9 wins, maybe. The extra cap saved gets spent on "win now" players btw

And geno puts up slightly above average play with our receivers.... If he's throwing to say Carolinas receivers, he's not putting up slightly above average play lol, so that's not quite what that means

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Getting close to having a new HC. Do want the new coach roll with Geno, or if on the cheap would ya like to give Fields a shot? Or would you like to draft a rookie?
Personally I'm leaning towards draft a rookie, and let them sit behind Geno until ready. This doesn't necessarily have to be a 1st rd pick.
Rattler
Travis
Pratt
These guys should all be available 2-4 rd?
I'm sticking with Geno regardless in 2024 after his stretch to end the year, but this would be a very good time to take a realistically-obtainable prospect and begin the grooming process. Geno's clock is ticking at 33 on a stopgap contract.

In all likelihood, we'll be out of QB gurus on staff with Carroll (and Canales earlier) having already left, so we can no longer count on inherently elevating the players at the spot above what they've done elsewhere.

Pratt's kind of fun. Lot of gamer to him. Rattler's too big of a character red flag for me to consider even as UDFA. Penix I'd consider in the second if we trade down. Bo Nix is roughly a late second/early third prospect in my eyes. McCarthy around the same stock as Nix because his arm underwhelms me in terms of what I see him growing into (unless someone drops him into a 21 personnel Shanny team and lets him eat for a little bit. He'd probably improve Miami's squad).

For all the hype this draft has gotten, it has thinned out BAD in the mid/late round prospect category.