Why 49ers drafted Buckner....

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":35jad3b5 said:
Navorro Bowman was nowhere to be found in that video. I'd rather go GIF, but Bowman has gotten to Wilson more times than you'll wish to admit. The videos are out there.

And Wilson making a big play scrambling play once means it happens all the time?

Like Kap's 50 yard run in the 2013 NFCC....big plays are bound to happen if you have the speed.

KaepRun.gif

Edit: Bowman gotten to Wilson more times than we'd wish to admit? Someone hasn't been watching Seattle's offensive line for the past few seasons. Your name doesn't have to be Navaro Bowman to get to Russell Wilson (see sack numbers for Wilson).

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":5aazfvoo said:
Navorro Bowman was nowhere to be found in that video. I'd rather go GIF, but Bowman has gotten to Wilson more times than you'll wish to admit. The videos are out there.

And Wilson making a big play scrambling play once means it happens all the time?

Like Kap's 50 yard run in the 2013 NFCC....big plays are bound to happen if you have the speed.

I'll admit once...are there more?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Facts:

1. Seahawks absorbed only 27m of Graham's deal. Only 9 apy. Considering a rookie at the Seahawks slot in that draft would have made about $2m per year. Hypothetical, Graham only cost the Seahawks about 19m in new money not to mention the $3m Seahawks saved in trading Unger. So it's really only 16m.

If you pretty much can get a player like Graham for only 16m in new money across 3 years that's a pretty good deal.

2. Zach Miller was cut after heading into his 5th season with the Seahawks. Seahawks got 3 good years out of him. His deal was front loaded and reworked for the last two years to be significantly lower. That was probably by design. Unfortunately Zach hurt his ankle his 4th year and couldn't come back from it.

However, Seahawks likely wouldn't have got to the SB, if it weren't for Miller's elite blocking ability during a season in which Okung and Giacomini collectively missed 17 (9.5/7.5) games in 2013. Surviving on McQuistan and a 7th round rookie in Michael Bowie at tackle.

For that season alone Miller earned whatever his contract was worth because he was arguably the most important blocker that season.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
NINEster":2fjz1pb5 said:

Your retorts at this point are laughable (well maybe not "at this point"). Bowman was one of my favorite players prior to his injury, but it doesn't take an expert to recognize that he isn't the player he once was.

As far as Wilson and his big play scrambling ability, that pretty much does happen all the time - I'd wager at least one good play a game and is obviously part of his overall skillset.

Kap has had a few good runs as well, but we're talking apples to oranges here, considering he's not even your starter. Why don't you throw Gabbert's success against us as it'd be more relevant (oh right, because he also sucks).

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":e92s1xj9 said:
Cool story bro.

Wanna trade rosters???

No.

Only a fake fan would ever want to root for another team over his, especially a rival.

BTW, if you track the thread carefully, the Bowman is comment is in response to ducati asking for a GIF of Wilson embarrassing him....something that never happened.

There isn't much if any unsolicited trash talk coming from Niner fans.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":2wcaqmr3 said:
NINEster":2wcaqmr3 said:

I'll admit once...are there more?

In addition to the Wilson Hunt around 30 seconds in, there is a nice sideline chase of Wilson by Bowman and a blitz sack right before the 1 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZodKuBv5c4

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Archer":3da1yf1k said:
NINEster":3da1yf1k said:

Your retorts at this point are laughable (well maybe not "at this point"). Bowman was one of my favorite players prior to his injury, but it doesn't take an expert to recognize that he isn't the player he once was.

As far as Wilson and his big play scrambling ability, that pretty much does happen all the time - I'd wager at least one good play a game and is obviously part of his overall skillset.

Kap has had a few good runs as well, but we're talking apples to oranges here, considering he's not even your starter. Why don't you throw Gabbert's success against us as it'd be more relevant (oh right, because he also sucks).

Bowman is having a really good OTA. Reports are that he's in better shape than last year. No guarantees of course, but to write him off as never being great again is something nobody can predict right now.

Gabbert threw for the most yards at the Link for a Niner QB in quite a few seasons, maybe since Alex Smith 2011.....didn't he have a 2 minute TD drive to end the first half at the Link last season?

It's pretty funny the narrative at how poorly perceived these two Niner QBs are.

Anyways, getting back to the thread at hand........this is all about getting to Wilson.

Weeks 2 and 3 should be fun to see how well the NFC West gets to him early in the season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Archer":3p27z2os said:
NINEster":3p27z2os said:

I'd agree that LAST YEAR he wasn't the same guy, but tough to really put that on him as it was his first year back from a severe injury. I never expected him to be the same guy in year one back on the field...and yet he still led the NFL in Tackles.

The real test is how he looks THIS year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":153q4x07 said:
Anyways, getting back to the thread at hand........this is all about getting to Wilson.

Weeks 2 and 3 should be fun to see how well the NFC West gets to him early in the season.

Yeah, "early in the season" being the key. With three to four new starters, I don't imagine it'll be the 90's Cowboys on that offensive line.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":3hetq0tm said:
Sports Hernia":3hetq0tm said:
Cool story bro.

Wanna trade rosters???

No.

Only a fake fan would ever want to root for another team over his, especially a rival.

BTW, if you track the thread carefully, the Bowman is comment is in response to ducati asking for a GIF of Wilson embarrassing him....something that never happened.

You missed my point entirely.
When I asked "do you want to trade rosters?" I was speaking about the pure talent on both squads. Take the teams that both sides rosters play for and those players personalities out of it. I meant would rather have Seattle's talent loaded roster, over the Niners much less talented group?

If you say the Niner's it's a foolish and homeristic response, but an expected one. 8)

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":13qhiuur said:
NINEster":13qhiuur said:
Sports Hernia":13qhiuur said:
Cool story bro.

Wanna trade rosters???

No.

When I asked "do you want to trade rosters?" I was speaking about the pure talent on both squads. Take the teams that both sides rosters play for and those players personalities out of it. I meant would rather have Seattle's talent loaded roster, over the Niners much less talented group?

If you say the Niner's it's a foolish and homeristic response, but an expected one. 8)

Sure.

You have the better roster right now.

You happy? LOL.

(Still don't want your team.......or Rams......or Patriots......or Packers, etc). And everything is temporary in this league, so we'll see what's up 2-3 years from now.

And I don't want Russell Wilson either, because we're at least 3-4 years away from having an awesome defense again. :mrgreen:

But here's the reality.....

Most of you guys wouldn't even yield a position group to the Niners...now or even in the Harbaugh days.

Front 7, linebacking corps......most here would feel the Hawks were better always.

That's the real homer response.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I laugh until I cry with the comments about Wilson being reliant on the defense. They keep saying it though...

I'm sure Buckner will own Russ; He is tall and Russ is short...

RichNhansom

Reaction score
NINEster":v4kf29gx said:
Sports Hernia":v4kf29gx said:
NINEster":v4kf29gx said:
Sports Hernia":v4kf29gx said:
Cool story bro.

Wanna trade rosters???

No.

Sure.

You have the better roster right now.

You happy? LOL.

(Still don't want your team.......or Rams......or Patriots......or Packers, etc). And everything is temporary in this league, so we'll see what's up 2-3 years from now.

And I don't want Russell Wilson either, because we're at least 3-4 years away from having an awesome defense again. :mrgreen:

But here's the reality.....

Most of you guys wouldn't even yield a position group to the Niners...now or even in the Harbaugh days.

Front 7, linebacking corps......most here would feel the Hawks were better always.

That's the real homer response.

I don't know of anyone who believes our front 4 were better than when Cowboy and Raymac were lined up or a better O-line when Iupati and Davis were part of it. Actually any O-line combination.

Your LB's are good. Willis and Bowman but not near the level 9er fans believe. That was more a function of the front four that kept them clean and allowed them to play free. They were very good but IMO not transendant talent like Cowboy was.

Why do you think Baalke drafted Buckner and Armestad? That's pretty much the premise of this thread.

Not wanting Wilson for any reason when you have Gabbert and Kaep is as homer as it gets. Defense has zero to do with it but if you think the defense is what is making Wilson successful well maybe you can get more homer.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Laloosh":316hd4xh said:
I laugh until I cry with the comments about Wilson being reliant on the defense. They keep saying it though...

Just trading QBs would put both teams in the neighborhood of 8-8. That's how important the position is and how good Russ is.
Oh wait, with Chippy as the HC even Russ might not get Santa Clara to 8-8. Not sure even Joe Montana could.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":exm8nho6 said:

I don't think anyone will OWN Wilson, but I also don't think its a coincidense that the 49ers will likely rush 4 guys on passing downs who are 6'7" with 34 inch arms (and 11.25 inch hands...freakin mutant, lol - Buckner), 6'7" with 33 inch arms (Armstead), 6'4" with nearly 35 inch arms (Carradine), and 6'5" with 34 inch arms (Lynch).

Nobody is saying anything about domination, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that tall players with long arms rushing a 5'11" QB might create some issues.

...and before anyone says anything...while those players were most certainly drafted with Wilson in mind, that doesn't mean they would ONLY be good against Wilson. I like the idea of The Two Towers....IE, two 6'7" 3-4 DEs on base downs.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3r6giblr said:
Not wanting Wilson for any reason when you have Gabbert and Kaep is as homer as it gets. Defense has zero to do with it but if you think the defense is what is making Wilson successful well maybe you can get more homer.

It's funny because Seattle's defense literally faced the fewest number of offensive snaps in the league while the offense was around 3rd in most snaps.

The two work well together, hence the result but don't try to tell Niner fans that Wilson and that offense help the defense in kind.

Edit: Buckner

Largent80

Reaction score
NINEster":1ub47pyg said:

:lol: Like that is any saving grace for your team. Good luck, since you will be looking up from below once again.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Largent80":3ir6yt3v said:
NINEster":3ir6yt3v said:

:lol: Like that is any saving grace for your team. Good luck, since you will be looking up from below once again.

I wonder how many big plays Kaepernick will make on the bench. I'm sure it's bound to happen though.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":29v0qdl6 said:
Laloosh":29v0qdl6 said:

I don't think anyone will OWN Wilson, but I also don't think its a coincidense that the 49ers will likely rush 4 guys on passing downs who are 6'7" with 34 inch arms (and 11.25 inch hands...freakin mutant, lol - Buckner), 6'7" with 33 inch arms (Armstead), 6'4" with nearly 35 inch arms (Carradine), and 6'5" with 34 inch arms (Lynch).

Nobody is saying anything about domination, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that tall players with long arms rushing a 5'11" QB might create some issues.

...and before anyone says anything...while those players were most certainly drafted with Wilson in mind, that doesn't mean they would ONLY be good against Wilson. I like the idea of The Two Towers....IE, two 6'7" 3-4 DEs on base downs.

Should put those guys in the secondary. I hear tall CBs are all the rage right now.

FreePlayTD

STIP