Why 49ers drafted Buckner....

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3efetp1s said:
I don't know of anyone who believes our front 4 were better than when Cowboy and Raymac were lined up or a better O-line when Iupati and Davis were part of it. Actually any O-line combination.

Your LB's are good. Willis and Bowman but not near the level 9er fans believe. That was more a function of the front four that kept them clean and allowed them to play free. They were very good but IMO not transendant talent like Cowboy was.

Why do you think Baalke drafted Buckner and Armestad? That's pretty much the premise of this thread.

Not wanting Wilson for any reason when you have Gabbert and Kaep is as homer as it gets. Defense has zero to do with it but if you think the defense is what is making Wilson successful well maybe you can get more homer.

Get outta here with the Willis and Bowman comments. They were great LBs, and when Justin was around even better. Willis was defensive rookie of the year and did more pre-Fangio than Luke and Bobby have done so far.

If not, then people gotta stop *mod edit* Luke and Bobby.

As far as Wilson, it's more of.......he's not adding much to the win count to the 2016 49ers....and no need to have anyone who isn't a top 5 QB in the league on this current team anyways.

We've never seen Wilson play on a remotely bad or average team so far. The only other QBs who have had this fortune are Brady, Rodgers, Dalton, and Peyton Manning the last 10-12 years. Rivers, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Flacco, Kap, Newton, Eli, Palmer, Alex Smith have all played on some bad teams from time to time. You think Wilson would have done any better on those teams than those guys? LOL.

When it comes down to it, 49ers vs. Seahawks when the rivalry was good.....Niners had a bit more talent, Hawks had a bit better coaching, and that kept the two pretty even except in Seattle.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Laloosh":1w8pn6od said:
RichNhansom":1w8pn6od said:
Not wanting Wilson for any reason when you have Gabbert and Kaep is as homer as it gets. Defense has zero to do with it but if you think the defense is what is making Wilson successful well maybe you can get more homer.

It's funny because Seattle's defense literally faced the fewest number of offensive snaps in the league while the offense was around 3rd in most snaps.

The two work well together, hence the result but don't try to tell Niner fans that Wilson and that offense help the defense in kind.

Edit: Buckner

Of course you're gonna face the fewest number of snaps when you force a lot of punts and get turnovers. That's what good defenses do.

The 2011 49ers forced 38 turnovers, and produced a 13-3 record when with normal bounce of the ball and that year's offensive production should have been 9 or 10 win season.

Wilson and that run game are good ball control.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":29eldt06 said:
Laloosh":29eldt06 said:
I laugh until I cry with the comments about Wilson being reliant on the defense. They keep saying it though...

I'm sure Buckner will own Russ; He is tall and Russ is short...
Just trading QBs would put both teams in the neighborhood of 8-8. That's how important the position is and how good Russ is.
Oh wait, with Chippy as the HC even Russ might not get Santa Clara to 8-8. Not sure even Joe Montana could.

Chippy got Nick Foles' 7 TD jersey into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I have a picture of it.

Chippy is good.

Marvin49

Reaction score
NINEster":36vgnf94 said:
RichNhansom":36vgnf94 said:
I don't know of anyone who believes our front 4 were better than when Cowboy and Raymac were lined up or a better O-line when Iupati and Davis were part of it. Actually any O-line combination.

Your LB's are good. Willis and Bowman but not near the level 9er fans believe. That was more a function of the front four that kept them clean and allowed them to play free. They were very good but IMO not transendant talent like Cowboy was.

Why do you think Baalke drafted Buckner and Armestad? That's pretty much the premise of this thread.

Get outta here with the Willis and Bowman comments. They were great LBs, and when Justin was around even better. Willis was defensive rookie of the year and did more pre-Fangio than Luke and Bobby have done so far.

As far as Wilson, it's more of.......he's not adding much to the win count to the 2016 49ers....and no need to have anyone who isn't a top 5 QB in the league on this current team anyways.

We've never seen Wilson play on a remotely bad or average team so far. The only other QBs who have had this fortune are Brady, Rodgers, Dalton, and Peyton Manning the last 10-12 years. Rivers, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Flacco, Kap, Newton, Eli, Palmer, Alex Smith have all played on some bad teams from time to time. You think Wilson would have done any better on those teams than those guys? LOL.

When it comes down to it, 49ers vs. Seahawks when the rivalry was good.....Niners had a bit more talent, Hawks had a bit better coaching, and that kept the two pretty even except in Seattle.

Yeah...didn't even know where to start on that one.

First off they didn't have a front 4 in front of them. They ran a 3-4 defense which inherantly means your ILBs are going to have to wade through more traffic than a MLB in a 4-3. Did Justin and McDonald make a difference for those ILBs? Of course they did...but two things can be equally true. IMO that was one of the best front 7s in NFL history for a few years there.

Is Baalke trying to somewhat replace those DEs for their current LBs? Sure he is...but they didn't have either of them last year and Bowman STILL led the NFL in tackles and was elected All-Pro while still not completely healthy in year one of his return.

Pat? Nobody will ever convince me that in his prime Pat wasn't one of the best ILBS this game has ever seen. He was great long before the team was great. IMO only his short career will keep him out of the HoF.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":ypke28tp said:
Marvin49":ypke28tp said:
Laloosh":ypke28tp said:
I laugh until I cry with the comments about Wilson being reliant on the defense. They keep saying it though...

I don't think anyone will OWN Wilson, but I also don't think its a coincidense that the 49ers will likely rush 4 guys on passing downs who are 6'7" with 34 inch arms (and 11.25 inch hands...freakin mutant, lol - Buckner), 6'7" with 33 inch arms (Armstead), 6'4" with nearly 35 inch arms (Carradine), and 6'5" with 34 inch arms (Lynch).

Nobody is saying anything about domination, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that tall players with long arms rushing a 5'11" QB might create some issues.

...and before anyone says anything...while those players were most certainly drafted with Wilson in mind, that doesn't mean they would ONLY be good against Wilson. I like the idea of The Two Towers....IE, two 6'7" 3-4 DEs on base downs.

Should put those guys in the secondary. I hear tall CBs are all the rage right now.

FreePlayTD

STIP

They keep trying to draft height in the secondary, but it doesn't always work. They don't all end up being Richard Sherman. :)

They'd tried to sign Sean Smith TWICE now and failed both times, they have drafted 2 corners over 6'1" (Robinson, Johnson)...there just aren't alot of good ones out there.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":3kqiu0y0 said:
RichNhansom":3kqiu0y0 said:

Thanks for the laugh. Putting Alex Smith and Keeporpick on your list and actually believing Russell wouldn't have done better made my drink come out my nose. I'd like "Things only niner fans say" for $200, Alex. Chiefs fans don't even believe that crap.

It's great that the niners had all those GREAT players and we all got to see them waste their careers in Frisco. I rather enjoyed that.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":3ifq7y3c said:
Laloosh":3ifq7y3c said:
RichNhansom":3ifq7y3c said:

It's funny because Seattle's defense literally faced the fewest number of offensive snaps in the league while the offense was around 3rd in most snaps.

The two work well together, hence the result but don't try to tell Niner fans that Wilson and that offense help the defense in kind.

Edit: Buckner

Of course you're gonna face the fewest number of snaps when you force a lot of punts and get turnovers. That's what good defenses do.

The 2011 49ers forced 38 turnovers, and produced a 13-3 record when with normal bounce of the ball and that year's offensive production should have been 9 or 10 win season.

Wilson and that run game are good ball control.

Forced punts and turnovers?

So the defense didn't force turnovers and forced as many punts as the freaking Colts. Also finished 8th in scoring percentage.

Meanwhile the offense is 4th in scoring, 4th in scoring percentage and 5th in turnover percentage.

Your theory about the defense carrying the offense is bullet proof!

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":3jw8s4qi said:
NINEster":3jw8s4qi said:
RichNhansom":3jw8s4qi said:

If not, then people gotta stop blowing Luke and Bobby.

Thanks for the laugh. Putting Alex Smith and Keeporpick on your list and actually believing Russell wouldn't have done better made my drink come out my nose. I'd like "Things only niner fans say" for $200, Alex. Chiefs fans don't even believe that crap.

It's great that the niners had all those GREAT players and we all got to see them waste their careers in Frisco. I rather enjoyed that.

Funny...thats kinda how I felt about Steve Largent, Walter Jones, Cortez Kennedy and Shaun Alexander.

Weird. :D

(Hey man, he started it. :p )

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":22bszkcb said:
rideaducati":22bszkcb said:
NINEster":22bszkcb said:
RichNhansom":22bszkcb said:

Funny...thats kinda how I felt about Steve Largent, Walter Jones, Cortez Kennedy and Shaun Alexander.

He probably isn't old enough to have seen many of them play. The way he is talking it's as if the niners had a whole lot more great players on their roster than the Seahawks ever had cumulatively yet still did nothing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":2l0jusec said:
hawksfansinceday1":2l0jusec said:
Laloosh":2l0jusec said:

Just trading QBs would put both teams in the neighborhood of 8-8. That's how important the position is and how good Russ is.
Oh wait, with Chippy as the HC even Russ might not get Santa Clara to 8-8. Not sure even Joe Montana could.

Chippy got Nick Foles' 7 TD jersey into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I have a picture of it.

Chippy is good.
So good he was 86'ed by Philly! :th2thumbs:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ka41fb3 said:
So good he was 86'ed by Philly! :th2thumbs:

kelso-burn-240x180.jpg

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rideaducati":1pe5lp8w said:
Marvin49":1pe5lp8w said:
rideaducati":1pe5lp8w said:
NINEster":1pe5lp8w said:

He probably isn't old enough to have seen many of them play. The way he is talking it's as if the niners had a whole lot more great players on their roster than the Seahawks ever had cumulatively yet still did nothing.

Come on now....everyone knows that Seattle cheated and the niners were just unlucky. :sarcasm_off:

Just ask the webzone and Ninester. We needed a replacement for Living, I think we found him.
Just a matter of time before he predicts the niners will have a better record than the Hawks THIS upcoming year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":8zr73fao said:
NINEster":8zr73fao said:
RichNhansom":8zr73fao said:

First off they didn't have a front 4 in front of them. They ran a 3-4 defense which inherantly means your ILBs are going to have to wade through more traffic than a MLB in a 4-3. Did Justin and McDonald make a difference for those ILBs? Of course they did...but two things can be equally true. IMO that was one of the best front 7s in NFL history for a few years there.

Is Baalke trying to somewhat replace those DEs for their current LBs? Sure he is...but they didn't have either of them last year and Bowman STILL led the NFL in tackles and was elected All-Pro while still not completely healthy in year one of his return.

Pat? Nobody will ever convince me that in his prime Pat wasn't one of the best ILBS this game has ever seen. He was great long before the team was great. IMO only his short career will keep him out of the HoF.

Good catch on the 3-4 vs 4-3 my bad I brain farted for a second, I know you run a 3-4 for but my point still stands. How many years did Willis play without Cowboy? How did Aldon Smith do without Cowboy in front of him? I think 9er fans don't give Cowboy the credit he deserves. How did you guys play after he went down in the Pats game? And without him in Seattle the next week? How about last year? I think Fangio even gets credit for what Cowboy was able to accomplish.

Willis was good, very good but without Cowboy he wasn't transcendent. Nothing wrong with that.

Bowman got in on reputation. Go read your own threads and you know he wasn't the same player as before the injury. Which also coincides with Cowboy's departure. We will see next year when he doesn't have the injury question mark but I suspect he will be a good LB but nothing close to what he was when he played behind Cowboy and next to another very good LB in Willis.

Take Borland, another guy 9er fans thought was elite. Do you really believe that any LB the Baalke drafts is transcendent? Is it possible they all had something in common? I think it is.

The funny part of this conversation is that we had this discussion about Aldon. Every Seahawk fan told you his success was due in large part to Cowboy. Now go look on the webzone and they are saying the same thing. Aldon without Cowboy on the field was a good end but again, not transcendent like 9er fans thought he was before.

I know 9er fans wanted to put all of these guys in the HOF but really the only guy the truly deserves to be there is the one that seems to continuously get overlooked by 9er fans. Cowboy really is the one deserving of HOF consideration.

Nice to see you put your teeth back in Marvin. I think your a good guy and a good sport but lately with all that has went on you seem to have become a little passive. I give you shit but I really do believe your a good guy and a good fan.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
NINEster":29ejmt3j said:
hawksfansinceday1":29ejmt3j said:
Laloosh":29ejmt3j said:

Chippy is good.
I'll remind you of this statement at season's end. Just a head's up tho, he thought Sam Bradford was the answer over said Foles. Nuff said.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1mf0zfgr said:
NINEster":1mf0zfgr said:
hawksfansinceday1":1mf0zfgr said:
Laloosh":1mf0zfgr said:

Chippy is good.
I'll remind you of this statement at season's end. Just a head's up tho, he thought Sam Bradford was the answer over said Foles. Nuff said.

Ouch. Well Ninester, he does have a point.

Hey I hear the Eagles might be interested in trading Bradford. Just a thought.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh more WAS, HAD statements from 49ers........................................................

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":112xcx7z said:
Marvin49":112xcx7z said:
NINEster":112xcx7z said:
RichNhansom":112xcx7z said:

Good catch on the 3-4 vs 4-3 my bad I brain farted for a second, I know you run a 3-4 for but my point still stands. How many years did Willis play without Cowboy? How did Aldon Smith do without Cowboy in front of him? I think 9er fans don't give Cowboy the credit he deserves. How did you guys play after he went down in the Pats game? And without him in Seattle the next week? How about last year? I think Fangio even gets credit for what Cowboy was able to accomplish.

Willis was good, very good but without Cowboy he wasn't transcendent. Nothing wrong with that.

Bowman got in on reputation. Go read your own threads and you know he wasn't the same player as before the injury. Which also coincides with Cowboy's departure. We will see next year when he doesn't have the injury question mark but I suspect he will be a good LB but nothing close to what he was when he played behind Cowboy and next to another very good LB in Willis.

Take Borland, another guy 9er fans thought was elite. Do you really believe that any LB the Baalke drafts is transcendent? Is it possible they all had something in common? I think it is.

The funny part of this conversation is that we had this discussion about Aldon. Every Seahawk fan told you his success was due in large part to Cowboy. Now go look on the webzone and they are saying the same thing. Aldon without Cowboy on the field was a good end but again, not transcendent like 9er fans thought he was before.

I know 9er fans wanted to put all of these guys in the HOF but really the only guy the truly deserves to be there is the one that seems to continuously get overlooked by 9er fans. Cowboy really is the one deserving of HOF consideration.

Nice to see you put your teeth back in Marvin. I think your a good guy and a good sport but lately with all that has went on you seem to have become a little passive. I give you shit but I really do believe your a good guy and a good fan.

I'm never going to undersell how good Cowboy was. In fact, even though people have argued the point with me on THIS board I think the combination of him injuring his arm and Aldon tearing his labrum cost them the SB vs the Ravens.

I never argued that Justin didn't make a huge impact on the game even if he never got the statistics. It's a big reason why I love the Buckner pick so much and don't expect double digit sacks (something particular members of this forum appear incapable of understanding).

IMO tho Willis WAS a transcendent player. Bowman IS a great LB. You say his falloff in play last year coincides with Cowboy being gone, but it also coincided with a first year back from a SEVERE knee injury. There were times that it was clear he favored it and didn't make a cut like he would have in the past. We'll have to see if year 2 is different. It usually is with a player coming back from injury because its the mental aspect that hinders you.

Aldon? I'm not on that train even though many Niner fans are. Fans of ANY team teld to find reasons to discount a skill of a player the day he's no longer on their team. Aldons problms are between his ears, but the dude is insanely talented. If he can get his head on straight, IMO he'll be a star again.

Borland? If Baalke knows and drafts anything well, its players in the front 7. Yes, I think he's that good at the LB position. He's not stupid though, because that 3 man D-Line is the most important part of the defense. Ray Lewis had some of his worst years in Mike Nolans 3-4. It is HARDER to be in ILB in a 3-4 than a MLB in a 4-3. The fact that those guys were so good AND both stayed on the field in Nickel says a lot.

As for having my teeth...lol. Dunno man...sure the team isn't what it was so arging the point is fruitless, but I kinda got better at posting every time someone said something annoying. I'd be here all day. :) I just pick my battles much more now and ignore those who don't warrant my response.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2bx3ypy5 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2bx3ypy5 said:
NINEster":2bx3ypy5 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2bx3ypy5 said:

Chippy is good.

Ouch. Well Ninester, he does have a point.

Hey I hear the Eagles might be interested in trading Bradford. Just a thought.

Thank god he's not the GM. Say what you want about Baalke...but Chip? Yikes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Ninester, you have no idea how much happiness it brings me that the 49ers are a trainwreck like they should be. And for years coming? All the better. I am a native San Francisco girl and always hated the 49ers on a level you probably couldn't ever understand. I preferred the Raiders like the rest of my family until I actually got into football and went with the Seahawks. Black and Silver is boring and my favorite colors are blue and green in that exact order.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Love me some Justin Smith but it's so ridiculous to think he is the only one who made players great on that D. He made Willis? Laughable, Aldon? Laughable. Many of you took a couple articles about how he sets up Aldon and ran with it. Maybe go back to when Justin Smith spent 7 freaking seasons with the Bengals and played on some of the worst teams in the history of the NFL. How come he didn't transcend those players into superstars? What happened? Why all of a sudden when he got to SF did he become jesus. It's the most comical argument to say he made those players. Willis might possible make the Hall of fame in only 8 seasons. Aldon Smith was an elite pass rusher coming out of Mizzou which is why he was taken with the 7th pick.

Is Sherman & Wagner only good because of Michael Bennett? I would say hell no. I would say they are all pros because they are just flat out supremely talented.