Why Didn't the Seahawks Trade Down?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Tusc2000":jv2pgkjl said:
Penny seems like a solid RB. But that won't mean anything without holes to run through. Alex Collins couldn't do much with us -- but incredibly became a near 1,000 yard rusher with Baltimore last season. Until our O-line gets fixed, we're screwed.

We've drafted OL in the 1 or 2 round almost every year for awhile now, and yet our OL still sucks. You really wanted these guys to waste another pick on a OL? Why? So we can complain about the guy for 3 years then watch him leave?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love Penny. I'm skeptical about the line as most are but to be fair we should give Solari/Schott a chance to see what they can do, Fluker is solid in the run game and we still have a lot of draft left to improve in that regard. Penny assuming the line can be even slightly below average is going to be very, very good.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
'Why Didn't the Seahawks Trade Down?'

It takes two teams or more to trade and the team wasn't getting appropriate trade deals that they liked more than drafting Penny. In other words their valuation of Penny was higher than the return available by trade.

Trades aren't as easy to make as mock draft trades.

The pick is growing on me as I read more about him and watch the film available. The constantly injured Prosise has a new threat to his roster spot.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Easy question to ask.
Hard question to answer.

You have to have a dance partner when it comes to trading draft spots.

And it’s a gamble no matter what.
All depends on how bad you want “x”, and what you predict the other teams are going to do.

I don’t/didn’t hate the pick, and I’m not upset with where they made it because they could have lost him.

I assume they didn’t trade down and hope to get him later because they either didn’t have a partner that fit, or they wanted him bad enough that the gamble wasn’t worth it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The perfect is also the enemy of the good.

Sure, we could have traded down.

We could have also missed out on Penny in doing so.

Penny should be solid for us, and less risk at a position we had dire need.

While good and sometimes great RBs come from the later rounds, so do a lot of duds. And there hasn't been a lot of people that have shown a good process to identify WHICH 5th round pick is going to be the RB that pops vs the other 5th round picks that fizzle out. We needed a RB NOW. Waiting might have screwed us.

(And this FO has a history of getting cute in trading down, to get guys that do not move the needle. I am fine with not trading down again if we get a guy we need and that guy makes an impact. If we lose out on the chance for another 7th round pick that nobody will remember? I think we will be OK.)

dadof3

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":18o1e3lp said:

While good and sometimes great RBs come from the later rounds, so do a lot of duds. And there hasn't been a lot of people that have shown a good process to identify WHICH 5th round pick is going to be the RB that pops vs the other 5th round picks that fizzle out. We needed a RB NOW. Waiting might have screwed us.

(And this FO has a history of getting cute in trading down, to get guys that do not move the needle. I am fine with not trading down again if we get a guy we need and that guy makes an impact. If we lose out on the chance for another 7th round pick that nobody will remember? I think we will be OK.)
This. Before yesterday everyone bitches we always trade down for mid tier players instead of taking a stud. Yesterday they take a stud (in their eyes) and people bitch about not trading down. I can see merits to both points, but I'm excited to see how the pick shakes out.

kobebryant

Reaction score
If there was trade down offers for a second time they may have been too far down for them to be confident that they would still get their guy, especially with Sony Michel getting picked soon after which may indicate the run on RBs starting.

Last year they traded down twice and ended up stuck with Malik. With a smaller board that likely now excludes the players with similar issues as Malik, you gotta take the guy you want when you have the chance to, otherwise you’re left holding the bag.

adeltaY

Reaction score
dadof3":fc57gapc said:
TwistedHusky":fc57gapc said:

This. Before yesterday everyone bitches we always trade down for mid tier players instead of taking a stud. Yesterday they take a stud (in their eyes) and people bitch about not trading down. I can see merits to both points, but I'm excited to see how the pick shakes out.

Personally, I don't mind trading down. It's the picks themselves that haven't been good. The only problem I have with Penny is his position.

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
Kid could be the next Marshall Faulk for all we know and if PC/JS believe he is the real deal and can help get the run game going then I'm on board too. Continuity with the OL and a new staff should help.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
massari":hbu7jotv said:
Uncle Si":hbu7jotv said:
massari":hbu7jotv said:
Uncle Si":hbu7jotv said:
Seattle wanted Penny
They want another Super Bowl more, but they aren't going to get it without a CB, DL and LG.

RB's are easier than any other position to find a stud in the middle rounds.

and yet... they took Penny..
So back to the original question. Why? Are there guys at those positions that will make an immediate impact like a rookie RB from the middle rounds can that I don't know about?

Classic meaningful Uncle SI posts.

Clearly they felt Penny was better than the RB's that would have been there at 52.

Classic meaningful massari post.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
There's a reason that Guist (who I was hoping for), Michel and Chubb are ALL still on the board in the 2nd round. Just sayin......

kobebryant

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wkky2vz said:
There's a reason that Guist (who I was hoping for), Michel and Chubb are ALL still on the board in the 2nd round. Just sayin......

Not all of them are still available.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
My bad, forgot Michel went late AFTER us to the Pats. Guist and Chubb still there, and were both very highly rated.
I'm happy w/the Hawks pick.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ot13ukq said:
massari":1ot13ukq said:
Uncle Si":1ot13ukq said:
massari":1ot13ukq said:
They want another Super Bowl more, but they aren't going to get it without a CB, DL and LG.

RB's are easier than any other position to find a stud in the middle rounds.

So back to the original question. Why? Are there guys at those positions that will make an immediate impact like a rookie RB from the middle rounds can that I don't know about?

Clearly they felt Penny was better than the RB's that would have been there at 52.

Stalking me again breh?

Look at it this way. Would you rather have Penny in the 1st and a guy like Dorance Armstrong/ Holton Hill in the 3rd or would you rather have a guy like Rasheem Green/Landry/Mo Hurst/Oliver/Josh Jackson/Corbett ect ect in the 2nd and a RB like Kalen Ballage/John Kelly/CJ Anderson+2019 2nd round pick?

No shit Penny is considered better at this point than RB's like Ballage/Kelly ect, but it's a hell of a lot easier finding RB's later than pass rushers, corners and OL. AND they'd of gotten a 2nd rounder next year.

Hopefully Schneider didn't turn down an even bigger off than what the Ravens gave up to the Eagles.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, plenty of people have convinced themselves that they actually know what the Hawks turned down or were offered.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
massari":3vckx4ae said:
Hasselbeck":3vckx4ae said:
massari":3vckx4ae said:
Uncle Si":3vckx4ae said:

Stalking me again breh?

Look at it this way. Would you rather have Penny in the 1st and a guy like Dorance Armstrong/ Holton Hill in the 3rd or would you rather have a guy like Rasheem Green/Landry/Mo Hurst/Oliver/Josh Jackson/Corbett ect ect in the 2nd and a RB like Kalen Ballage/John Kelly/CJ Anderson+2019 2nd round pick?

No shit Penny is considered better at this point than RB's like Ballage/Kelly ect, but it's a hell of a lot easier finding RB's later than pass rushers, corners and OL. AND they'd of gotten a 2nd rounder next year.

Hopefully Schneider didn't turn down an even bigger off than what the Ravens gave up to the Eagles.

You started the thread. Is it stalking to reply in it? Jesus.

You’re now talking about options the team could’ve done that do not include the player they clearly wanted. That’s the key, like it or not (which can be debated), but makes your “question” silly.

This is who they wanted and trading down may have left them out of getting him.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2018 03 01 at 32721 PM

Penny also led the draft class in elusive rating – PFF’s rushing metric that attempts to distil what a back did independent of the blocking that was given to him by looking at broken tackles and yards after contact. Penny broke 80 tackles on the ground last season and two more as a receiver. That figure was by far the most of anybody in this draft class, more than 20 clear of the rest of the field.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-san-diego-state-rb-rashaad-penny-a-first-round-talent

With the above stats think about our offensive line last year. Now, it should start to become clear why Penny was the best fit for Seattle in the FO's eyes to immediately improve the running game.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1dstc9xv said:
massari":1dstc9xv said:
Hasselbeck":1dstc9xv said:
massari":1dstc9xv said:

Stalking me again breh?

You started the thread. Is it stalking to reply in it? Jesus.
haha actually the guy/girl who's profile says they're 34 years old (old enough to be my dad) always replies to me ever since I joined this forum like I killed his dog or *mod edit*his wife. idk it's kind of getting annoying though.

rossob

Reaction score
kobebryant":2ea20zwn said:
If there was trade down offers for a second time they may have been too far down for them to be confident that they would still get their guy, especially with Sony Michel getting picked soon after which may indicate the run on RBs starting.

Last year they traded down twice and ended up stuck with Malik. With a smaller board that likely now excludes the players with similar issues as Malik, you gotta take the guy you want when you have the chance to, otherwise you’re left holding the bag.

This! Last year they had multiple prospects they valued similarly and just traded down because they could acquire more picks and still get someone who they valued similarly at a later spot. Numerous people complained they shouldn't have done that and should have instead taken the best pick they had on their board (which I guess some here assumed was the one they wanted).
This year they do exactly that, decide on a player that is most important to them and make sure that they get him. And people complain again. After hearing from John Schneider that some other team wanted to trade for Rashaad right after they picked him, it seems that it would have been very risky to trade down any further if you really want that player and not just some other good RB.

Sure you can argue that RBs shouldn't be taken in the first round, or that it would have been more important to take a different position (e.g. OT), but if you wanted Rashaad Penny, it seems like it was the right decision to take him at 27.

chris98251

Reaction score
massari":bgqb7jgz said:
Hasselbeck":bgqb7jgz said:
massari":bgqb7jgz said:
Uncle Si":bgqb7jgz said:

Stalking me again breh?

We have plucked pass rushers of the refuse pile of other teams, Brock, Clemens, signed guys like Bennett for a cheap contract initially, drafted our CB's in the 5th up thru the third or very late, we have spent several picks on O lineman in the first and second round. We have seen a Carson and a Ware and Collins picked lower then 1st, Prosise was a 3rd I believe, The one guy we had that made a difference was picked where? Oh the first round, 12th pick hmmm. Think about it.