Why Didn't the Seahawks Trade Down?

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":k9z852x9 said:
massari":k9z852x9 said:
EDIT: What is it that separates him from the other RB's that could've been had in rounds 2-4?

1. We did trade down already once

2. Pete explained Penny in great detail. He's EXACTLY the big, physical, durable, punishing back that catches and blocks well............and he's fast as hell.

My only contention with Penny is he better be our bell cow 20-25 carry a game back, or else yes we wasted a 1st round pick. You draft a RB in the 1st round, he better be more than just a dude thrown into your RBBC group.

Yes he is a bell cow back. The more carries you give him the better he will be.

To answer the first persons question what separates him from the RB's in rounds 2 - 4? Well for one he is way faster than those guys. For 2 he is bigger and stronger and more stocky than most. For 3 he was hugely more productive than those guys. For 4 he catches so well they thought at one time of putting him at WR at San Diego State. I can't say the same for the others. For 5 he is an all world return man at KR/PR. The others do not have this skill level to the degree that he does.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":39td3cge said:
Sgt. Largent":39td3cge said:
massari":39td3cge said:
EDIT: What is it that separates him from the other RB's that could've been had in rounds 2-4?

2. Pete explained Penny in great detail. He's EXACTLY the big, physical, durable, punishing back that catches and blocks well............and he's fast as hell.

My only contention with Penny is he better be our bell cow 20-25 carry a game back, or else yes we wasted a 1st round pick. You draft a RB in the 1st round, he better be more than just a dude thrown into your RBBC group.

To answer the first persons question what separates him from the RB's in rounds 2 - 4? Well for one he is way faster than those guys. For 2 he is bigger and stronger and more stocky than most. For 3 he was hugely more productive than those guys. For 4 he catches so well they thought at one time of putting him at WR at San Diego State. I can't say the same for the others. For 5 he is an all world return man at KR/PR. The others do not have this skill level to the degree that he does.

I know he is a bell cow back, he was one of the biggest workhorses in all of college football last year.

But WILL we use him as a workhourse is my concern. Because all Pete's said is Penny's going to play special teams and share carries...........and I know it's early and Pete isn't going to just hand him the job.

But my point is valid, if you draft a RB in the first round, he better damn well end up being your pro bowl caliber bell cow back for a while, or else IMO it's a wasted 1st round pick.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2zojmq90 said:
You.... posted a hilariously bad post in a public forum, but yeah, I'm 'stalking you breh' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oddly enough they got Green. Even better, massari the best GM yet to be christened as such is getting up in arms at passing over ...
- Holton Hill (a guy I liked) that went undrafted
- Dorance Armstrong .. a guy that went in the 4th, so literally nothing changed from not magically trading down
- Maurice Hurst .. a guy that was clearly not on the Seahawks board in the end, probably because of his heart condition.. and a guy that went in R5 where the Seahawks had 3 picks.
- Josh Jackson .. a corner that would never have been selected because he didn't fit any size requirement - how you do not know what they look for in CB's by now is anyone's guess.
- Kalen Ballage - LOLLLL
- John Kelly (another guy I liked) .. would actually have liked this, buttt he also went in Round 6. Again, clearly the Seahawks didn't give him a lot of love
- CJ Anderson - just LULZ.

Wow it's crazy how you've yet to be hired by an NFL front office. Truly.

Along with Minkah Fitzpatrick, Josh Jackson is considered to be the best Ball Hawk in the draft and when you consider hand size and wingspan, he virtually has identical length to Shaquill Griffin.

Other than that, I don't even know where to start
Maxresdefault

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2guoy4kx said:
SanDiego49er":2guoy4kx said:
Sgt. Largent":2guoy4kx said:
massari":2guoy4kx said:

I know he is a bell cow back, he was one of the biggest workhorses in all of college football last year.

But WILL we use him as a workhourse is my concern. Because all Pete's said is Penny's going to play special teams and share carries...........and I know it's early and Pete isn't going to just hand him the job.

But my point is valid, if you draft a RB in the first round, he better damn well end up being your pro bowl caliber bell cow back for a while, or else IMO it's a wasted 1st round pick.

I think he will be very good for you. You should use him a lot. Penny tends to get better the more you give him the ball. He is a 25, 30, 35 carries a game guy. That's how he is best used. In there he will get some explosive home run long runs. You can't give Penny the ball 12 times a game and expect big things. He should be used with a lot of carries. A few of those will be breakaway long runs. But lots of carries is how to best utilize him. With the occasional throw out of the backfield. You can even line him up wide or use him in the slot on 3rd downs. I've seen him used like that and he is good at it. How much you want to use him as a return man is up to you. You could use him like that in big games or the playoffs. You may not want to wear him out or get him injured using him on too many returns. He is great at that but it may make sense to put some limits on his returns.