Why don't they review penalties?

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
Why can't the nfl enact a review of questionable penalties? They are just as much of a play in the game as any other play. If the play was questionable, then let the play stand as called. They should have a master official in the box upstairs that just reviews questionable calls and no-calls. It would eliminate things like this game game today

PS. Is Wilson ok? He looked slow getting up from the last play of the game.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
This is why instant replay sucks. Only a partial amount of plays that can affect the outcomes of games can be reviewed. It's silly. They need to get rid of it all together. They absolutely never will, but they really should. It is so arbitrary.

Goldust

Reaction score
seahawksfanatic000":36ceq1he said:
Goldust":36ceq1he said:
FWIW, the refs confer on every flag.

What game were they conferring about?

I'm just saying that there are multiple opinions going into every flag that's thrown. You saw today a "there was no flag on the play". It's not a video review, but by definition, it IS a review. It's not perfect, but it's something, and that's why I said FWIW.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Goldust":v4yf8jkz said:
seahawksfanatic000":v4yf8jkz said:
Goldust":v4yf8jkz said:

I'm just saying that there are multiple opinions going into every flag that's thrown. You saw today a "there was no flag on the play". It's not a video review, but by definition, it IS a review. It's not perfect, but it's something, and that's why I said FWIW.

That call would have blown up the refs and they knew it.

Goldust

Reaction score
seahawksfanatic000":3uhb844y said:
Goldust":3uhb844y said:

davidonmi

Reaction score
They should be able to review 12 men in the huddle calls when they inexplicably miscount

bigtrain21

Reaction score
davidonmi":1e6hnsd7 said:
They should be able to review 12 men in the huddle calls when they inexplicably miscount

Absolutely. What was up with that?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The problem is that they don't have someone monitoring the game who can instantly overrule BS calls.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1glq3rur said:
If the reviewed penalties the game would take 6 hours to play.

LOL
And that’s if they only review the penalties that are called. If they review all the non-calls the game could last 12 hours

You could spend at least 6 hours alone on non-calls on the offensive and defensive lines…

The game could then be played backwards, the team with the most safeties (or the least penalties) wins… :roll:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Goldust":als8vjck said:
seahawksfanatic000":als8vjck said:
Goldust":als8vjck said:

Wasn't that when the "flag" was actually one of the player's hand towels?

amill87

Reaction score
Honestly reffing across the league just drives me crazy. How many times a season do the refs influence games? I don't think it is intentional by any means but it happens to at least two games a week. I think there are two things the NFL could do to fix it and fix it rather quickly.

1) Do not let refs off the hook when they make bad calls. It happens all the time, ref makes/doesn't make a call in game, league reviews its later and says the ref was wrong. What ever happens to these guys when they are wrong? I don't have a good plan but something like fines or game suspensions may make refs try harder to not influence games with incorrect calls.

2) This is the easiest by far. Allow all plays (penalties included) to be challenged by coaches. Coaches will not challenge every penalty but game changing ones would be challenged. If this was a rule and today Pagano challenged the Luck fumble when Clemons hit Luck in the head, it would've sucked but it would've 100% been the right call. The push off by Wayne in the endzone also would have been caught by a review. It would not add tons of time to games because coaches would have the same amount of challenges but it would definitely help out in reducing the role the refs can play in games.

IcedHawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":2vysu969 said:
Goldust":2vysu969 said:
seahawksfanatic000":2vysu969 said:
Goldust":2vysu969 said:

They actually didn't make a comment when one of the towels were mistaken for a flag, they just picked it up and continued play.

Largent80

Reaction score
Better question is, with all of today's technology are we still relying on dudes that sell tacos on Tuesday to have such a huge effect on everything.

sc85sis

Reaction score
IcedHawk":2m1hpx11 said:
sc85sis":2m1hpx11 said:
They actually didn't make a comment when one of the towels were mistaken for a flag, they just picked it up and continued play.
OK. I couldn't recall.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
If they reviewed penalties Clemons would have a personal foul instead of a sack/fumble.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1jrz82yy said:
If they reviewed penalties Clemons would have a personal foul instead of a sack/fumble.

Not excusing that play, but I think the question was more in the line of for the plays where penalties are called and not penalties that are missed (you would literally have to review every play?).

OP
OP
seahawksfanatic000

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":v45e7j0c said:

Ok so even if we don't get the fumble, that's three less points for us. If Pete challenges the blocked punt and the defensive pass interference on their last td drive, then we get 5 more points and they get 8 less points. I'd be ok with that

Latest posts