Why I Am Still Content With The Hawks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm torn Aros.

If you would have told me before the season started that Rawls would be out, the O-line a disaster and Russell would have two major leg injuries, would I take 4-2-1 at this point in the season? I'd probably take it.

BUT if this team has SB talent and aspirations? Which we all agreed they did before the season started...........then you find a way to win games like the Rams, Cards and Saints. SB winning teams win those type of games to secure HFA and go all the way.

I see a very good defense being wasted on an awful offense right now, with no end to it for at least another 3-4 weeks if Rawls can come back, Russell regains some health and the O-line improves. All HUGE if's.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Aros":353k8vz3 said:
First off, I disagree you are conceding the season if you sit Wilson. There's no reason to believe we couldn't win with Boykin. No, not a long term solution obviously but he seems to have the talent and athleticism to run the offense, sprinkling in read options with his mobility.

Our defense will always give us a chance to win each and every game. I think Boykin's mobility would change the dynamic and be a bit of a spark plug. More than anything I would love to let Russ rest and heal for two or three weeks. I think we would beat the Bills at home with Boykin, lose to the Patriots and probably lose to the Eagles. So that would make us 5-4-1. Not the best scenario but if I knew we would have a healthy Russ the rest of the season even at the sacrifice of two losses, I would take that in a millisecond.

My only response to this is that you see something in Boykin that few have seen, if you believe that. Wilson was in a much better position as a rookie. We can all agree that Russell is the better player. Right? Take out the Lynch factor, the line factor, and they playbook factor, and it's a lose/lose. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Respectfully, of course.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
And here is the thing,

If you don't bench Wilson?

Then we beat the Bills, lose to the Patriots and lose to the Eagles. Having the EXACT SAME RECORD but instead of having Wilson, hopefully, healthier.

This isn't about Boykin being better than Wilson, clearly that is not the case. This is about doing whatever can be done to get Wilson off his injured limbs so he can heal faster. Unless you believe that whatever you witnessed yesterday was Wilson at 100%?

As shared before, it was terminal stupidity to play him in that Rams game and even in the 49ers game. But you cannot put the swarm of bees back in the bottle so, we have an injured QB that looks like he is healing but still isn't 100% but is also playing behind what I think is the worst OL in the history of the Seahawks, and so accordingly, is at risk almost every time he touches the ball.

If you disagree with the assessment, maybe the Bills game swings the other way and we have one more loss but, I think even the most fan-clouded person would not pick us to beat the Pats or the Eagles.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":l6ydelgf said:
If you disagree with the assessment, maybe the Bills game swings the other way and we have one more loss but, I think even the most fan-clouded person would not pick us to beat the Pats or the Eagles.

Why not? You never know what can happen in a game. If we don't have a chance to beat these teams on any footing, than why even have this conversation? Anything is possible. Wilson is getting more healthy on his legs, not less. It was witnessed yesterday. I'm not willing to concede ANY amount of games. We are not guaranteed losses in any of the next three. If you think that, I'm sorry. It's a fundamental disagreement at that point. You have to, with only 16 games, go with what gives you the best chance to win. It's not even really a debate. See also, Pete Carroll's decision to play RW. Confirmed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":jm5tge2q said:

Pete's not dumb, he obviously thinks a hurt Russell is still better than a healthy Boykin.

IMO both options are bad, so it's not like there's a clear cut better option. 50% Russell still runs the offense better than a rookie undrafted FA that is going to make a lot of mistakes and have a very hard time moving this offense with no help from a run game.

Like people keep bringing up Prescott, who has an All Pro RB and All Pro O-line. So terrible comparison to Boykin, dude would struggle MIGHTILY.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yes but the point is not to win those games.

I am all for conceding that Wilson is the better QB, even injured.

This isn't a contest between Boykin and Wilson. I am not sure why people are making it into that.

This is a desperate attempt to try to get Wilson some healing time so we have a shot at reversing our fortunes in games we probably lose anyway. The Pats are better than when we last saw them, we are weaker and we are playing in their house. As for the Eagles, that pressure will mutilate an immobile Wilson and shred our OL like it isn't even there. At least Boykin can try to run from it, we might stand a better shot with Boykin than Wilson in that one anyway...

Whether Boykin struggles MIGHTILY is not an issue. You are not conceding the games but you are conceding you are willing to remove some of your opportunity to win those by removing your star QB in order to get your QB able to win future games because he is healthier. It isn't a given he heals, but it is better than 0%. We aren't getting HFA anyway, and given the state of the NFC Worst not sure the division will be out of range. So you take the unpleasant choice now vs the unpleasant result later.

Nobody is saying Boykin is better. We are saying a healthy Wilson is better than whatever we have now.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I'm not implying that anyone thinks Boykin is better. I'm saying you win the games in front of you by giving yourself the best chance to do so. I am seeing Russ get his legs back, while playing, and he still gives us the best chance. We just disagree. It's cool, dude.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's all good. We are all on the same side, just with our own takes is all. At the end of the day, we all want Russell Wilson to get healthy. We want the OL to improve and we want to WIN. Anything else is just white noise. :)

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Aros":9alf0ynf said:
It's all good. We are all on the same side, just with our own takes is all. At the end of the day, we all want Russell Wilson to get healthy. We want the OL to improve and we want to WIN. Anything else is just white noise. :)

100%, my friend.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2lnhlfil said:
Yes but the point is not to win those games.

I am all for conceding that Wilson is the better QB, even injured.

This isn't a contest between Boykin and Wilson. I am not sure why people are making it into that.

This is a desperate attempt to try to get Wilson some healing time so we have a shot at reversing our fortunes in games we probably lose anyway. The Pats are better than when we last saw them, we are weaker and we are playing in their house. As for the Eagles, that pressure will mutilate an immobile Wilson and shred our OL like it isn't even there. At least Boykin can try to run from it, we might stand a better shot with Boykin than Wilson in that one anyway...

Whether Boykin struggles MIGHTILY is not an issue. You are not conceding the games but you are conceding you are willing to remove some of your opportunity to win those by removing your star QB in order to get your QB able to win future games because he is healthier. It isn't a given he heals, but it is better than 0%. We aren't getting HFA anyway, and given the state of the NFC Worst not sure the division will be out of range. So you take the unpleasant choice now vs the unpleasant result later.

Nobody is saying Boykin is better. We are saying a healthy Wilson is better than whatever we have now.

I agree with you, and why I created a poll in week 3 to sit Wilson and let him get healthy or keep playing him?

The consensus was to keep playing him, I don't think that'd be a consensus now.

Only logical reason is Pete hopes Russell's injuries get better as the season goes along. We'll see won't we?

Largent80

Reaction score
Wilson wasn't even taped on his ankles yesterday. The ankle sprain is G O N E. The MCL merely needs stabilization and if you didn't notice yesterday, the brace was a LOT smaller.

The pec thing wasn't that bad. Everyone is making more of this than is there. Sure the MCL is limiting his running because of the brace, but he isn't getting time to set up and throw in the pocket right now because Gilliam is probably the worst RT in the league and we have a basketball player at LT. He doesn't have the lateral mobility to get far outside to throw on the run, but to me that is no reason to sit him.

He gives us the best chance to win every game.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Pretty sure this Hawks team wouldn't concede a loss to any team even if half the squad was hurt. Some here are chalking up losses weeks from now, even though all the Hawks have done the last 5 years is have a chance to win in EVERY game. I for one think they are more than capable of winning the patriots game and putting a beat down on Brady.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2kcgnjlj said:
Wilson wasn't even taped on his ankles yesterday. The ankle sprain is G O N E. The MCL merely needs stabilization and if you didn't notice yesterday, the brace was a LOT smaller.

The pec thing wasn't that bad. Everyone is making more of this than is there. Sure the MCL is limiting his running because of the brace, but he isn't getting time to set up and throw in the pocket right now because Gilliam is probably the worst RT in the league and we have a basketball player at LT. He doesn't have the lateral mobility to get far outside to throw on the run, but to me that is no reason to sit him.

He gives us the best chance to win every game.

Yep, and that's my hope, that we see baby steps with his health each week.

Gotta get Rawls back and the O-line at least below average too though as well. Cause I'm done with Michael tackling himself and running out of bounds.

Rob12

Reaction score
Why is it surprising that people are pining for Wilson to sit? Is it really that unreasonable to want your franchise QB to sit in order to get healthy? He TORE HIS MCL and is playing on it, and it's clear as day that it is heavily affecting his play. Want proof? How many deep shots has this offense taken over the last three games? RW throws one of the best deep balls in the game, yet for whatever reason, anything where the ball travels only 20 yards in the air is not in our playbook currently. He doesn't have the same zip or touch on his throws.

No one wants to concede the season but why put the long term health of the best QB we've ever had in jeopardy?

Pete will have a lot to answer for if Wilson's current injuries get worse. No one wants him to sit but sometimes doing the smart thing sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob12

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":gfapfpro said:
Some of us longtime Hawk fans have waited our whole lives for a true franchise QB and now because he could only get them within one play of two wins some here want to bench him. The true meaning of bandwagon fans.......keep falling off you're getting heavy anyway. ALL IN OR ALL OUT

I'd say it's the opposite. I don't want him to get "benched." I want him to be put in a position where he can HEAL. Big difference, and one you're clearly missing.

Largent80

Reaction score
Rob12":kwqfmnkf said:
Why is it surprising that people are pining for Wilson to sit? Is it really that unreasonable to want your franchise QB to sit in order to get healthy? He TORE HIS MCL

Incorrect. If he TORE it he would be out for the year. In case you didn't notice, he played the next game after SPRAINING it and won the game.

He needs a damn running game and this offense takes off. C,M, isn't the answer. You watch when we get Rawls back, we will start tearing teams up in the run game, and THEN you will see this injury deal to RW is hogwash.

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's a good post Aros.

It's just hard for me to be content. Our offense depends on Wilson more than we want to admit. When he's off, we're off. Unless we get an OL that can mask a few deficiencies here and there, we're not in good shape. Wilson can't make up for a below average OL when he's not right physically.

We just don't have a good enough offense to win much. Yea, we'll win the division, but I doubt we'll get a 1st round bye, and we might get bounced out of the playoffs in the divisional round, at home. 1 and done in the playoffs isn't making me contented.

I'm a life long Hawks fan. I know how it is; we're usually happy to be in the playoffs and in contention every year....after all, if we're in the playoffs, we have a shot. I just don't feel like we have a shot this year. We're just too bad on offense.

Scoring 15 or 17 a game isn't going to win us much.

kf3339

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1xyrojlf said:
I agree this offense has become unwatchable. I think our qb is going to end up like David Carr if this continues.

^ This.

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. I still remember how the Texans basically sacrificed Carr every week behind a really bad O-Line. To his credit he never questioned that decision and kept playing. But anyone who saw those games knows RW is going down almost the same track right now.

Derek Carr has even talked about how David told him to not play if injured no matter what the coaches wanted. He said not to sacrifice his future for coaches who wouldn't focus on providing an adequate O-Line.

RW is sacrificing his future because of the inept decisions being made right now from PC and company. If I was him I would just state he can't go and sit himself. I would respect that decision.

But today I really don't want to watch our offense on the field anymore. I find myself taking breaks from the game when they are on the field. That has never happened to me before this last few weeks.

I blame Pete Carroll and there is not a damn thing anyone is going to say that will change my mind. AT ALL. :x

Ozzy

Reaction score
Aros":7iej9jap said:

Couldn't agree more.

I don't think we automatically lose the Eagles like a few guys above think. I like our chances against the Bills and eagles and heck if Wilson is at 80% I like our chances against NE too.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Truth is all these players are considerably less than 100% always. Another poster rightfully pointed out Russ was hurt in the first game while being "100". Sit him 1 game or 8 his level of health will not be or stay 100. This offense is struggling for multiple reasons and yet have had the ball and a chance every game. Russ has the best team/personal trainers and physicians available, if he says he's good I'm in.