Why was Smith there?

seedhawk

Reaction score
I ask this hoping a good X and O defensive guy can answer. Why, on the Sherm tip play was Smith there for the pick? Usually it is one of our safeties, depending on the call.

Hairball said Kap made the correct read, so, did we actually show the digits a look we wanted to, and bait them into the play and somehow have MS trailing for the pick.

Or did MS just wind up there on his own?

uncle fester

Reaction score
We were wondering the same here. That article pretty much explains everything. Great play by Smith.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It's refreshing to see a player "understand the situation" that is going on as is pointed out in the article. He mentions jumping the flat route as an example of not understanding the situation.

This reminds me of the completely idiotic play of Marcus Trufant against ATL in the final minute of that game. NOT understanding the situation. If you recall, on that first big pass play, Browner was on WR who caught the ball, however Trufant had the underneath coverage.

In that play instead of getting deeper (as Malcolm Smith did in this game) Trufant goes after the flat route leaving a huge window for Matt Ryan to throw to. If he instead drops deep there's a good chance he discourages Ryan from the throw he makes and settles for the flat route.

Great play by Malcolm, it's funny all the media seems to talk about how brilliant Sherman was, not really realizing that that play would have been meaningless without Smith there to make the pick.

Axx

Reaction score
I think smith said he agknowledges the fact that kaep goes to crabs in those situations

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I thought I saw an angle where, when the ball is in the air, Malcolm hightails it to the corner. So it seemed like situational awareness to me, plus a good dose of his speed.

Latest posts