Why we should not overreact

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Maybe it is time to take most of the refs off the field, clearly they can't see what we all do.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
This whole "they own RW in Green Bay" as an excuse doesn't work for me.

Great QB's don't allow themselves to be "owned" by opposition season after season.

RW is supposed to be the franchise QB. He doesn't lead the team like that. He doesn't have the sideline or on-field gravitas like a franchise QB. He was a rising star early in his career, a quick running kid with an ability to extend plays but also someone who was dumping the ball off to a HOF running back at the peak of his powers.

When Beast fell off so did RW's ability to lead the team.

I don't believe RW has ever really led this team. The guys tolerated him when he was making peanuts and helping to win games. Ever since RW got the big $$$ some on the team aren't believers and that attitude has festered for some time now.

I recall on another board a couple seasons back when a poster said something along the lines of "Beast made Russel Wilson not the other way around and everyone on the team knew it."

This was after "The Play" from the lost Super Bowl and I have to wonder of that sentiment way back then continues to be spot-on today.

cymatica

Reaction score
And a realist would point out that we are 3-3 against them in those "last several meetings" with the one playoff game going our way.

I gotta give you credit, sioux, you have a natural ability to polish a turd. Not an insult, you could be a very influential political figure with your talent.

Looking more closely at the 3-3 figure, 2 of those we miraculously eeked out victory from the jaws of defeat, while our losses not so much. The last several games with the most current roster didn't end well.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It's week one, nobody should be overreacting. Both us and the Pats are 0-1 and both of us will make the playoffs, and I think there is a good chance at least one of us make the Super Bowl.

timmat

Reaction score
While maybe we shouldn't be overreacting this early on, we should definitely be strongly reacting simply because this O line play is not something we witnessed for the first time yesterday.

I've always been of the "don't overreact" mindset. But we keep having these same conversations year after year about the exact same position group. The exact same pattern of behavior also exists - trade back multiple times every draft and watch decently graded O lineman fall away to others. Patch the O line with cast-offs. Whiff when we actually do pick an O lineman.

You often hear the argument that if we pay for talent in that position group, it would cost us the ability to keep our core together. Yet Pete and John prove time and time again the ability to be savvy with acquisitions in other areas that do not come at the expense of the core - Percy Harvin, Jimmy Graham, Sheldon Richardson - These moves didn't come at the expense of not resigning Cam for example.

When, oh when, will we see one of their big moves targeted at bringing in proven O line talent? Not necessarily huge studs, but solid talent?

We're past the point of "draft and develop" for the O line if we want to win another title with this group together. The time is now. And if 10 to 11 wins and one playoff victory per year is the goal - we're right there. If BEATING the top tier teams and not just feasting on the bad and mid level teams is the goal - and getting that top seed again for a deep playoff run - is the goal, then please change up the approach with O line.

All other conversations of possible sore spots such as RB's, defense on 3rd down, Russell's performance, etc, are extremely distant to the glaring O line issue.

Also, someone is bound to say "what are you complaining about - we could be the Browns". Folks, I've been a Hawks fan since day 1 of the team, season tix, etc. - and we WERE the Browns at one point (from a W/L perspective for a few years anyway). That's why this window is SO VALUABLE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF. There are many fans that only know the Hawks as a winner. But the NFL can be very cyclical with who's on top. We've been riding a wave for a nearly historic stretch here. And in every year (even the XLVIII season), the biggest sore spot has been O line. I'm tired of it.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":18u540q9 said:
It's week one, nobody should be overreacting. Both us and the Pats are 0-1 and both of us will make the playoffs, and I think there is a good chance at least one of us make the Super Bowl.

We ain't the Pats.

Not even close...

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
cymatica":hjz6vvck said:
And a realist would point out that we are 3-3 against them in those "last several meetings" with the one playoff game going our way.

I gotta give you credit, sioux, you have a natural ability to polish a turd. Not an insult, you could be a very influential political figure with your talent.

Looking more closely at the 3-3 figure, 2 of those we miraculously eeked out victory from the jaws of defeat, while our losses not so much. The last several games with the most current roster didn't end well.
Yesterday wasn't exactly a massacre. It came down to about 3 crucial plays or officiating decisions. And a record is a record. Sure it was a miraculous ending, but we set ourselves up to capitalize on that miraculous ending. That's part of the game too.
Not interested in politics, but thanks.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1jhpmun5 said:
This whole "they own RW in Green Bay" as an excuse doesn't work for me.

Great QB's don't allow themselves to be "owned" by opposition season after season.

RW is supposed to be the franchise QB. He doesn't lead the team like that. He doesn't have the sideline or on-field gravitas like a franchise QB. He was a rising star early in his career, a quick running kid with an ability to extend plays but also someone who was dumping the ball off to a HOF running back at the peak of his powers.

When Beast fell off so did RW's ability to lead the team.

I don't believe RW has ever really led this team. The guys tolerated him when he was making peanuts and helping to win games. Ever since RW got the big $$$ some on the team aren't believers and that attitude has festered for some time now.

I recall on another board a couple seasons back when a poster said something along the lines of "Beast made Russel Wilson not the other way around and everyone on the team knew it."

This was after "The Play" from the lost Super Bowl and I have to wonder of that sentiment way back then continues to be spot-on today.

If its one thing im tired with its this. If it wasnt for Wilson we would of NEVER gotten to either Superbowl. You can talk about the defense or Lynch all you want but they werent doing shit with another QB like Flyn or some other immobile guy like Manning that we tried to get.

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2bhuq1tx said:
Do we know that after 1 game? Nope. Last time I looked, the Pats were getting smoked at home.

In part because their coaching staff didn't understand their player strengths when Cassius Marsh was considered a viable coverage LB when Hightower went down. Same problem, different team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, MVP, you'd be surprised how many think that we ONLY got to super bowl because of the D.
It's beyond ridiculous. Wilson was just as important as anyone in getting us to back to back SuperbOwls