Will Alex McGough Win the Back-Up QB Job?

Will Alex McGough Win the Back-Up QB Job?

• Yes

Votes: 65 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 22.6%

• Total voters

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":atfp44et said:
I’m not a huge fan of Hundley. He’s athletic but a very different QB than Russell —or even McGough— in that Hundley is horrible at throwing under pressure. I don’t think he would function well, at all, behind the Seahawks offensive line, even with its modest improvements. It would be a savvy move for Green Bay to acquire McGough as their 3rd QB, then it would be like they exchanged Hundley for a 6th round pick & McGough.

I've already thought GB might turn around and Sign McGough. I don't know if that's what there doing. What I do know is Alex might turn into a starting QB someday and if we lose the rights to him trading for Hundley was an idiotic move done as a 1 year insurance policy and a poorly written policy with little to no coverage.

olyfan63

Reaction score
So the Seahawks gave up a sixth-round draft choice for the right to audition Brett Hundley for the backup quarterback job. Anyone know off-hand what hundley's cap number is? How cheap is he compared to Austin Davis and Magoo?

Of course Hundley has only a couple days to pick up the Seahawks offense, or really like one day, if he's going to play on Thursday night against the Raiders. I don't buy the idea that Huntley automatically becomes the backup quarterback without having proven himself against the competition in Seattle competition in some way shape or form.

So I would guess we'll see a lot of Magoo against the Raiders, and a little of Davis. And probably no Hundley. Certainly makes things more interesting!

Magoo is still the choice in my mind because of his accuracy that he has shown in games so far, along with an NFL arm. I've just watched so many lower tier NFL quarterbacks make the right read and then miss the throw, especially on third down. I agree there is a timing problem with Magoo's readiness. I also agree he is still very unproven. He does seem to have command of the huddle and the faith and belief of his teammates when he's on the field. I hope the Seahawks give him lots of reps with the ones, have him start, on Thursday night and expand the amount of the offense he is expected to execute, and see just what the Rook can do. Should be fun to watch!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Now that Hundley has been traded for the correct answer to the question posed by the thread is: No, Mc Gough will not win the backup job. Neither will Davis be the backup either but the team will bring McGough back to the PS if he clears waivers.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I guess the reasons for the trade are because Austin Davis had an objectively disastrous preseason, McGough was viewed as too inexperienced to serve in a backup role, and Hundley was the best they could do.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3sn7xleu said:
I guess the reasons for the trade are because Austin Davis had an objectively disastrous preseason, McGough was viewed as too inexperienced to serve in a backup role, and Hundley was the best they could do.

If i'm not mistaken Alex has a better rating in 3 games then Hundley in 3 years. I understand they want someone with experience I just wish they weren't putting McGough on waivers to do it.

toffee

Reaction score
I don’t like this move, I rather develop Alex. Or sign a starter caliber QB as backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
toffee":o2egzbuq said:
I don’t like this move, I rather develop Alex. Or sign a starter caliber QB as backup.

Who is this "starter caliber QB" you speak of?

How much capital would it cost to have that one on the roster?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm okay have an inexperienced backup. Not tying up cap space is the important thing. I wouldn't think McGough will have any problems clearing waivers.

olyfan63

Reaction score
jammerhawk":ezbdrusz said:
Now that Hundley has been traded for the correct answer to the question posed by the thread is: No, Mc Gough will not win the backup job. Neither will Davis be the backup either but the team will bring McGough back to the PS if he clears waivers.

Sadly, I have to accept this as the likely outcome.
As big a McGough fanboy as I have been... I think the Seahawks braintrust has made their decision, and they view Hundley's "compete" showing was his 9 regular season games on film with the Packers.

I only saw Hundley play once, and it was against Pittsburgh, and he seemed overmatched, but it just means he's not Aaron Rogers. That's not exactly a knock on a backup QB.

I just hope they've done a better job of working this through than they did with the Charlie Whitehurst experience.

I suppose their is an *outside*, remote chance McGough sticks around, if Hundley's contract is too expensive in comparison.
I suppose we should look at Hundley as better version of Tavaris Jackson.

I do think McGough will be on the Practice Squad if he clears waivers. Kid is fun to watch.

Fade

Reaction score
They traded a 2nd rd pick for Charlie Whitehurst, and they had visions of him being the guy.

Good QBs are hard to find.

Latest posts