Will Alex McGough Win the Back-Up QB Job?

Will Alex McGough Win the Back-Up QB Job?

• Yes

Votes: 65 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 22.6%

• Total voters

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2sl12rco said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Seahawks/status/1033460060301615104[/tweet]

You can put al the grades you want up but they are not taking in consideration who they are playing with, situation and circumstances. Thats not just QB's thats everyone, pre season is about isolation and match up performances under circumstances. I think most of us agree Alex has looked good in what he has been asled to do, but given the situation exotic blitz packages and stunts being read etc we are not going to see him play under the types of pressures we will see in a regular season game which Davis has shown to be able to handle, also as I stated in another thread McGough is working with a simplified playbook right now. He is excelling but again the situation isn't exacly what it appears to be.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Austin Davis doesn’t give us a better chance to win than McGough. Go with the young guy with potential.

Fade

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious at this juncture that the Seahawks will be looking to trade for a better veteran backup than Austin Davis. Which they will then slide McGough to the practice squad.

If Seattle cannot find a deal to their liking, I think they will go with McGough as the #2.

Austin Davis will be on the street.

Gut feeling I think their is a 90% chance they trade / or claim a vet on cut downs. A 9% chance they go with McGough as the #2 instead of the practice squad. A measly 1% chance they stand pat and keep Austin Davis as the #2.

jmahon316

Reaction score
I don't think Alex will make it to the PS if he's not on the 53. I seriously think someone else will pick him up and we'll be regretting this until we find another rookie QB to be Wilson's understudy

2_0_6

Reaction score
McGough's performance on Friday got the attention of other FO's. It is going to be much harder now to get him back on the PS.

I prefer someone with more experience backing Russ up, but with that being said Boykin really never made me feel warm and tingly either and they stuck with him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Remember, it's not just on the field, it's film room and breaking down stuff, Davis knows the offense and can point out reads etc to help coach up Wilson and McGough and also run scout team.

D

DomeHawk

Not gonna participate in this poll because I think they are BOTH a serious liability should anything happen to RW.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Davis may know the offense but what good is it if your lousy at executing it?
I'd rather take my chances with the younger guy who has way more upside
and tools to get the job done.I think he is smart enough to learn quickly
under fire how to execute the offense and wing it like say Favre did when
he came in for the Packers after the starter got injured.He said he didn't
know many of the plays or the terms of zone D and look how that turned
out :lol:

Fade

Reaction score
McGough at this juncture would be a turnover machine going against starting NFL defenses. He has a skillset that they like, but he isn't backup quality yet.

It will come down to whether they can find something over next weekend.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2ivnu7pu said:
He needs more development. But, Austin Davis is also clearly not the answer...

They need to look for a vet.

I agree and you win the quote of the day. 'Austin Davis is clearly not the answer'

Ilinoiseyhawk

Reaction score
I was all about us bringing in Davis as a QB2 last year because he played pretty good with the Rams for a stretch there in 2014. I thought he would be a Fitzpatrick/Josh McCown level back-up/pinch starter (QB1.5). Now, I'm starting to see he's more of a Mark Sanchez/Matt Cassel kinda guy (barely a QB2).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Kid showed a lot of heart after that bad pick. Great learning experience. His scrambling ability is impressive, and he clearly has a cannon. Too bad they dropped a few of his passes later in the game, or they easily win that.
Well, that and the Refs actually calling it both ways.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
If Russ goes down ... it doesn't matter, so I keep the guy with more upside and usually that is the way Pete goes too. I also want to see Mcgough develop and making the practice squad is no guarantee. I like this team... I like this team all the way this year... but it only works if Russ is MVP and pulls a Tom Brady.

The big argument is ..you need a guy that can win a couple of games if Russ needs a few games ... I get that but who is that back up anyway?

I think Pete will stick with Alex Mcgough and roll the dice .... being the bet on youth and potential optimistic ..type of guy he is and I am happy he is that guy... like I said ....this year is a very Russ centric year ... so back up? Whatever.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JPC4Days":3i1akyzy said:
If Russ goes down ... it doesn't matter, so I keep the guy with more upside and usually that is the way Pete goes too. I also want to see Mcgough develop and making the practice squad is no guarantee. I like this team... I like this team all the way this year... but it only works if Russ is MVP and pulls a Tom Brady.

The big argument is ..you need a guy that can win a couple of games if Russ needs a few games ... I get that but who is that back up anyway?

I think Pete will stick with Alex Mcgough and roll the dice .... being the bet on youth and potential optimistic ..type of guy he is and I am happy he is that guy... like I said ....this year is a very Russ centric year ... so back up? Whatever.

I kinda agree, but your "Russ goes down" scenario is more of a season ending we're screwed kind of scenario.

When in reality if we need a backup for a couple games that gives us the best chance to maybe squeak out a win? Right now that's Davis.

I'd like to keep Davis, and try to sneak McGough onto the practice squad. I can't imagine there are teams out there dying to grab McGough if we try to put him on the practice squad.

JPC4Days

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xvic6k27 said:
JPC4Days":xvic6k27 said:

I kinda agree, but your "Russ goes down" scenario is more of a season ending we're screwed kind of scenario.

When in reality if we need a backup for a couple games that gives us the best chance to maybe squeak out a win? Right now that's Davis.

I'd like to keep Davis, and try to sneak McGough onto the practice squad. I can't imagine there are teams out there dying to grab McGough if we try to put him on the practice squad.

I can imagine it ..with most teams keeping three ...Pat Kirwin talked with Phil Simms prior to the draft..

On quarterback Alex McGough: “That last round quarterback … I asked Phil Simms the day before the draft, he had just got done (prepping) and he calls me up and he said, ‘OK I’m ready, I know every quarterback now.’ So we go through all the big-name guys and I said, ‘You got your dark horse?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, it’s this kid from Florida International, wait till you see him spin the ball.’ And as soon as Pete (Carroll) started talking about him, I went back and listened to my interview with Phil. It’s the same voice, it’s the same excitement for the same reason. So maybe they found something there.”

.. Davis looks slow with a weak arm... and he knows this offense inside and out. Unless your talking some other back up ... I think you could steal a game or two with a running game and simplifying the offense for Mcgough.... although I do agree a practice squad year would be perfect...

Look Mcgough may not amount to anything ...but there is the potential for something .. and I wouldn't risk losing a shot at realizing that potential to keep Austin Davis on the roster...like I said practice squad would be perfect ...but I ... would want a better reason than keeping Austin Davis as our back up to risk giving up on young ..POTENTIAL.

I have been wrong before though... and I am a sucker for potential ..especially since Pete is so good at finding guys like that and helping them realize there potential.
"Son your potential is going to get me fired?

olyfan63

Reaction score
I say they keep McGough. He won't make it to PS unless he screws up royally in Game 4. They can hire Austin Davis as an additional QB coach if he knows the offense so well. McGough gives us as good a chance to win as Davis McGough is cheaper.

OKHawksfan

Reaction score
Nope. He will go to the practice squad based on the trade for Hundley. I think he makes it there as I don't see him getting claimed.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I’m not a huge fan of Hundley. He’s athletic but a very different QB than Russell —or even McGough— in that Hundley is horrible at throwing under pressure. I don’t think he would function well, at all, behind the Seahawks offensive line, even with its modest improvements. It would be a savvy move for Green Bay to acquire McGough as their 3rd QB, then it would be like they exchanged Hundley for a 6th round pick & McGough.

Latest posts