Will Russ change his style of play from 2021 in Denver?

keasley45

Reaction score
Hero ball was Seattle's ticket to their second consecutive Super Bowl. Just saying...and Aaron Rodgers likely still mumbles in his sleep about damn hero-ball.
Mmm, hero ball, or hero defense? Our punter had as many TD passes that day as Russ did. Will never forget the 'discount double-check' he threw Aaron's direction.

But I do think Aaron is rubbed by how Russ gets so much pub for what he probably considers Russ 'sandlotting' his way to success, while he, himself plays the living Sh!t out the position. I HATE how good he is.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Mmm, hero ball, or hero defense? Our punter had as many TD passes that day as Russ did.
....And as many TD passes as Aaron Rodgers. Oh, Russ actually had 2 touchdowns, he also ran one in.

I don't see the point in you running down RW in arguably the second greatest game in Seahawks history.

keasley45

Reaction score
im not running him down, but of all the games where he dazzled and was masterful, the 2014 NFCCG isnt the first to come to mind, it probably isnt even the 10th. there are few games over the years that you could say Russ would unequivocally have lost for us were it not for our defense, special teams, and running game. That game in my mind was one of them. Yes, he tossed a dime on overtime, but it took a defense, punter, no name special teamer, and Lynch doing his thing to overcome Russ's poor play all game for him to even have the chance.

Rodger's was playing against one of the greatest defense of all time. Russ wasn't.

But i agree, its without a doubt, one of the greatest Seahawks games ever. Craziest thing game i've ever watched, hands down.

And i also agree that whatever his flaws, Russ's ability to overcome them and win us games by sheer force of will and an ability to make the impossible, reality, will be missed.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That game was a curse.

You can point to that game to injuring our secondary, which led to the SB loss, which led to a series of dominoes that fell slowly destroying the team.

If we lose that game, we probably change things - and our secondary stays intact. Carroll does not retreat into a shell because of the SB loss. A lot likely happens.

That said, Wilson screwed us in that game because the injuries in that game to the secondary (because of the problems Wilson had all game) let Brady come back, which led to that loss.

(This is all for naught if Carroll did not idiotically leave our ONLY effective corner for covering slot receivers, Burley, off the playoff roster.)

But Wilson failed miserably in that GB game, even though we won. Admittedly, it was pouring that day and no QB would have done well in that weather.

Not even sure how we won that one.

John63

Reaction score
Chicken, or Egg?

We shall see. I personally think the offense looked the way it did because of Russ's play, his skillset and limitations. I won't be able to buy the whole narrative that he was held back by a curmudgeon of a coach who just wanted to run, until I see Russ dissecting a defense, killing presnap reads, and making timely throws to beat coverage, and putting up highlights that include the above more than they do improvisational heroics. There was certainly nothing stopping him from doing that last year, pre or post injury... and he didn't.

Will be fun to watch the Donk's this year.
guess you have not been watching mutch since 2015 ahh. That's okay he is gone time to move on.

John63

Reaction score
im not running him down, but of all the games where he dazzled and was masterful, the 2014 NFCCG isnt the first to come to mind, it probably isnt even the 10th. there are few games over the years that you could say Russ would unequivocally have lost for us were it not for our defense, special teams, and running game. That game in my mind was one of them. Yes, he tossed a dime on overtime, but it took a defense, punter, no name special teamer, and Lynch doing his thing to overcome Russ's poor play all game for him to even have the chance.

Rodger's was playing against one of the greatest defense of all time. Russ wasn't.

But i agree, its without a doubt, one of the greatest Seahawks games ever. Craziest thing game i've ever watched, hands down.

And i also agree that whatever his flaws, Russ's ability to overcome them and win us games by sheer force of will and an ability to make the impossible, reality, will be missed.
And there are a lot of games we won because of him. But I am sure you forgo them t. Oh, time to move he is not here anymore.

keasley45

Reaction score
guess you have not been watching mutch since 2015 ahh. That's okay he is gone time to move on

guess you have not been watching mutch since 2015 ahh. That's okay he is gone time to move on.
Hey, John63.

I've been watching since 1981 😉. Verifiable proof in the attached clip. How are Broncos fans treating our beloved Mr Wilson?

Attachments

• IMG-20180519-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20180519-WA0010.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 11

keasley45

Reaction score
And there are a lot of games we won because of him. But I am sure you forgo them t. Oh, time to move he is not here anymore.
Quote from my post ' but of all the games where he dazzled and was masterful...'

good to have you plugged back in 😉.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hero ball was Seattle's ticket to their second consecutive Super Bowl. Just saying...and Aaron Rodgers likely still mumbles in his sleep about damn hero-ball.
ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. The actual TICKET was the Legion of Boom repeatedly holding Aaron Rodgers and the Packers to FGs instead of conceding TDs. That was the key to overcoming FOUR INTERCEPTIONS by Russell Wilson plus a lost fumble by Doug Baldwin. LOB also picked off Rodgers twice, stopping two GB drives. Beastmode's and his 157 yards rushing was the other ticket. The other TICKET was Seahawks special teams and Big-Balls Pete. Jon Ryan throwing the TD pass to Garry Gilliam off a fake FG? Gutsy and brilliant. The onside kick recovery to even have a chance? Great execution plus a little luck. Kudos to the special teams coach!

Credit to Russell on the GW TD to Kearse: Packers were in Cover-0, no safety in the middle, and Russell read it, delivered a great ball to Kearse, walkoff TD, we all celebrated wildly. Now, WHY was GB in Cover-0? Credit: BEASTMODE! The Seahawks running game was gashing GB's defense, and the Hawks were on the edge of field goal range. Any more yards given up would lead to a high percentage FG opportunity and a GB loss. So GB stacked the box against the run. Because: BEASTMODE.

Again, credit to Russell for recognizing Cover-0 and making a great throw, and Kearse for making a terrific catch. Also credit to Wilson for the throw before that, a long completion to Baldwin. The foundation for the Hawks ticket to SB49 was LOB and Marshawn+OLine running game, and 2 amazing special teams plays.

If anything, Aaron Rodgers mumbles in his sleep about being denied from inside the 5 yard line multiple times by the Seahawks D, the LOB.

Watch this great highlights package video and decide for yourself. When I watch it, I see the LOB played lights-out *amazing*, Russell played like crap for 80% of the game, BeastMode was *amazing*, and Russell dialed up some magic in OT.

Last edited:

John63

Reaction score
Hey, John63.

I've been watching since 1981 😉. Verifiable proof in the attached clip. How are Broncos fans treating our beloved Mr Wilson?
If so you would know what they and u say is at best jaded, and in fact wrong.

John63

Reaction score
ABSOLUTE RUBBISH. The actual TICKET was the Legion of Boom repeatedly holding Aaron Rodgers and the Packers to FGs instead of conceding TDs. That was the key to overcoming FOUR INTERCEPTIONS by Russell Wilson plus a lost fumble by Doug Baldwin. LOB also picked off Rodgers twice, stopping two GB drives. Beastmode's and his 157 yards rushing was the other ticket. The other TICKET was Seahawks special teams and Big-Balls Pete. Jon Ryan throwing the TD pass to Garry Gilliam off a fake FG? Gutsy and brilliant. The onside kick recovery to even have a chance? Great execution plus a little luck. Kudos to the special teams coach!

Credit to Russell on the GW TD to Kearse: Packers were in Cover-0, no safety in the middle, and Russell read it, delivered a great ball to Kearse, walkoff TD, we all celebrated wildly. Now, WHY was GB in Cover-0? Credit: BEASTMODE! The Seahawks running game was gashing GB's defense, and the Hawks were on the edge of field goal range. Any more yards given up would lead to a high percentage FG opportunity and a GB loss. So GB stacked the box against the run. Because: BEASTMODE.

Again, credit to Russell for recognizing Cover-0 and making a great throw, and Kearse for making a terrific catch. Also credit to Wilson for the throw before that, a long completion to Baldwin. The foundation for the Hawks ticket to SB49 was LOB and Marshawn+OLine running game, and 2 amazing special teams plays.

If anything, Aaron Rodgers mumbles in his sleep about being denied from inside the 5 yard line multiple times by the Seahawks D, the LOB.

Watch this great highlights package video and decide for yourself. When I watch it, I see the LOB played lights-out *amazing*, Russell played like crap for 80% of the game, BeastMode was *amazing*, and Russell dialed up some magic in OT.

Yes because 1 game shows what a 10 year career does, and shows all what Wilson did to help us get to and win the SB.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score

You just described 90% of Russell's performances, win or lose and almost 100% of his playoff performances. The only saving grace was he didn't often turn the ball over while playing like crap for 80% of a game

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My thoughts, Wilson is playing to get out of Denver on his contract, second John Elway is an egomaniac and will not tolerate his legacy being one upped by Wilson, Wilson and Ciara in Denver is a stop over to New York or another place where there is a larger Entertainment Market. He knew the Seahawks would avoid an NFC team, AFC Teams were his best option so the Target for Denver where he could push his contract desires for a desperate team in need after they stack it for him in a down QB year in the draft. The Broncos are in search for a new owner, Wilson does not want to sign early and a new owner could nix a big contract also. Just doesn't feel like Denver is his last stop.
I suspect you are right, but there is another option too. The Broncos are for sale as you note and Wilson wants to be an NFL owner. As we know the Hawks resisted his agent’s attempts to tie Wilson’s contract to a % of the cap. Maybe Wilson sees an opportunity it’s to convince an ownership group to allow him to become a participant. First he has to win there so he’ll cooperate with Elway who is also like minded in terms of wanting a % of ownership. Failing that a tied % of cap or alternatively profits contract goal may just be the direction headed towards.

Somehow though I suspect your thinking might be more correct.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Do agree totally with the post by olyfan63 and/or orangegravy. The team won against Denver with a strong D in spite of Wilson, who was also partially to blame for the INT agaxinst NE SB 49 that ended a potential dynasty.

Wilson is a great QB but truly wasn’t the sole reason for the Hawks success.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Wilson massively outplaying his rookie contract left PC/JS about $20M to use to bring in FA Defensive talent, another 5-6ish good players, and some hits in the draft with the result being a very talented and deep roster. Pete never did figure out how to build an elite defense after paying his QB big money.

Denver has a good enough D *now* to cover for Russell's 3-and-outs, potentially enough times to let Russell hit some deep TD throws.

I do think we'll see an inspired and energized Russell in Denver during his first year.

Own The West

Reaction score
Wilson massively outplaying his rookie contract left PC/JS about $20M to use to bring in FA Defensive talent, another 5-6ish good players, and some hits in the draft with the result being a very talented and deep roster. Pete never did figure out how to build an elite defense after paying his QB big money.

Denver has a good enough D *now* to cover for Russell's 3-and-outs, potentially enough times to let Russell hit some deep TD throws.

I do think we'll see an inspired and energized Russell in Denver during his first year.
Is Denver's D going to be good this year? Von Miller and Shelby Harris are gone, that was most of their sack production. Their secondary is good, but their front 7 -- meh.