Will Russell Wilson want $18-plus million? Kaepernick does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1644klwh said:
I want Russell to get paid, but not in a way that totally handicaps us from being able to sign and FAs and re-sign our own guys. Kinda like what happened to the Ravens this past year.

This is soooo wrong

Raven's fell off because the defense got old, and lost 2 big pieces in Lewis and Reed, plus Flacco sucks. That Super Bowl was the most epic last hurrah I ever witnessed.

Cartire

Reaction score
Anthony!":1fod1rdc said:
Well let look at this past season shall we, of the teams who were realistically in the hunt in the NFC 8 of the 9 have a franchise QB. IN the AFC 5 out of 6 had a franchise QB, and once again it is not even just about 1 year but multiple years. As to you not being impressed that is fine don't be, does not change the fact without a franchise QB you have no chance.

Hold the hell on. 8 of the 9 have a franchise QB? 5 of the 6 in the AFC?

Please list the 13 franchise QBs so I don't misinterpret the information that were in the hunt.

And then I'll parlay the idea that there were 13 franchise QBs in the hunt, and somehow, Hass was never a franchise QB. QBs that have played no more then two years, some three. And yet they are all already given the label of franchise QB, and Hass was not.

Im also still looking for this mythical definition of a franchise QB. You already claimed that winning Super Bowls does not put you in the category. I have yet to hear a definitive reason why Hass was not considered a franchise QB in his almost decade long time as a starter for us. The only reason I have heard, is apparently no expert said so (which is a crock).

5 division titles. 7 playoff appearances. NFC title.

And yet 13 franchise QBs were in the hunt this year, almost half of which have no more the three years starting and only one has a Lombardi in those three years.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":26e1h00f said:
I want Russell to get paid, but not in a way that totally handicaps us from being able to sign and FAs and re-sign our own guys. Kinda like what happened to the Ravens this past year.

If you don't want Russell Wilson to receive fair market value (which will likely be in the $20M range) then where do you propose to find his replacement when his rookie contract expires? Via trade or free agency? Quality QBs are rarely available and come at a hefty cost. The draft? That's a crapshoot and the Seahawks would probably need to use its first round pick this year on one and begin developing him now to take over and hope he's good enough.

The reason upper tier QBs receive top dollar is because the demand far exceeds the supply. Once you find one you don't let him go.

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
Does nobody realize that we'll be negotiating with Wilson a year before rooking contract expires, so we'll have that unbelievable leverage on our side. i.e. Imagine Wilson doesn't sign next year and plays out his contract, then signs a 20 mil per year deal for 4 years. He would have made 4 million more over the life of the contract if he would have signed with us next year for 17 mill a year. 17mil x5 > 1mil + 20mil x4.

In light of this, the only way we overpay for Wilson. Only way that happens is if both end up being true:
1) Wilson is willing to lose money to hurt us
2) We care more about paying Wilson than winning games

I don't see either being true. So, with the original point made. We could sign Wilson at roughly 3-4 million per year discount. Kinda feel bad for Wilson on this one, but as a Seahawk fan, I'm loving it. Knowing Carroll and Schneider, I bet we'll honor Wilson not entirely gouge him and end up getting a 2-3 million per year discount.

Tical21

Reaction score
Every year, if you take the top 12 or 13 QB's for that season, 10 of them make the playoffs, sometimes more. Every year.

Like I said, there are bad teams with tons of cap room that would throw 25 million per year on a 6 year deal for a young QB with the talent level and leadership of Russell. Therefore, any thought of us getting him for much less than 20, are absurd. I'm thinking the number is around 22 per. The dude won a Super Bowl in his second season. CHING CHING.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3qyb8t4u said:
Let's not praise Brady too much. He actually gave no such discount to the Patriots. He actually ended up making more money with his restructure but allowed more cap space in the short term

Brady certainly gave the Patriots a big discount. All of the salary is mostly guaranteed, but he is only counting 13-15 million against the cap until 2017. It helps when you are making 15 million a year and you aren't even the breadwinner of the family.

Cartire

Reaction score
Tical21":3dczamu4 said:
Every year, if you take the top 12 or 13 QB's for that season, 10 of them make the playoffs, sometimes more. Every year.

Like I said, there are bad teams with tons of cap room that would throw 25 million per year on a 6 year deal for a young QB with the talent level and leadership of Russell. Therefore, any thought of us getting him for much less than 20, are absurd. I'm thinking the number is around 22 per. The dude won a Super Bowl in his second season. CHING CHING.

Sure, but what metric are we using for the best QBs? Obviously winning and getting to the playoffs elevates their status. I mean, if you say that ten of the best make the playoffs, I have a hard time arguing that, because they made the playoffs.

-Flacco made the playoffs last year. All though his post season run was great, his season play was horrible.

Now onto this year...

-Dalton? Decent season this year, yet again horrendous playoffs.
-Andrew luck still carries the status of super star best franchise QB ever, and yet for two seasons, his stats are of the mediocre variety. But he made the playoffs both years. I wouldn't consider him top ten in the league though until he proves he can limit turnovers and not throw games away.
-kaep? The one trick, one read pony? Top ten? I guess if you want to argue that, but it's possible to argue the reverse as well.
-Alex smith? Didn't turn the ball over, which is good. That's all he did. Half his TDs were on screen plays for god sake.
-Rivers finally had a decent season in forever. I'd pit him in top ten from last year. But let's see a second year of similar production.

I guess it comes down to the same 4 guys that do make it. Peyton. Brady. Bree's. Rodgers.

Those 4 are not the norm, and if you pay any QB like they are before they have a proven history, you are selling the farm.

I mean, honestly, all 4 of them didn't even get there major pay days until later into there careers.

Back to the original point. Chicken and the egg. Besides those 4' the top ten QBs that make it to the Playoffs every year changes all the time. But it's easy to say that in that season, the top ten made it. Well of course they did.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Blitzer88":397rtzxi said:

What happened to the Ravens was not just about paying their QB, it was about age and injuries as well.

Anthony!

Reaction score
seesurfers":3qptc6b5 said:
Does nobody realize that we'll be negotiating with Wilson a year before rooking contract expires, so we'll have that unbelievable leverage on our side. i.e. Imagine Wilson doesn't sign next year and plays out his contract, then signs a 20 mil per year deal for 4 years. He would have made 4 million more over the life of the contract if he would have signed with us next year for 17 mill a year. 17mil x5 > 1mil + 20mil x4.

In light of this, the only way we overpay for Wilson. Only way that happens is if both end up being true:

I don't see either being true. So, with the original point made. We could sign Wilson at roughly 3-4 million per year discount. Kinda feel bad for Wilson on this one, but as a Seahawk fan, I'm loving it. Knowing Carroll and Schneider, I bet we'll honor Wilson not entirely gouge him and end up getting a 2-3 million per year discount.

totally disagree, first who said over pay, if the going rate is 20mil then that is what he should get that is not over paying to pay the market rate. By the way we have no leverage with him at all. If he plays out his contract he will get more than we are offering and then we will not have a Franchise QB and will be back to loosing until we find one. Also if he plays out his rookie contract and then we want to sign him it will cost us more. RWs agent knows that. We have absolutely no leverage at all. We either pay him market rate minus maybe 10% home town discount or we loose him, and we start over again, and also loose any chance of getting any major FAs, as we will show we will not even take care of our own, so we will not take care of others. You statement of "I bet we'll honor Wilson not entirely gouge him and end up getting a 2-3 million per year discount." is laughable like FO is in charge, they are not. If it was an RB maybe but a QB, a franchise QB, a SB winning franchise QB who is young, the FO is not in Charge RW holds all the cards here, if we do not sign him for the money he wants someone will and he knows that. Whatever deal that is made will be within 10-20% of market rate and it will only be that far off market because Rw lets it.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":3t0kts3b said:
Tical21":3t0kts3b said:

Sure, but what metric are we using for the best QBs? Obviously winning and getting to the playoffs elevates their status. I mean, if you say that ten of the best make the playoffs, I have a hard time arguing that, because they made the playoffs.

-Flacco made the playoffs last year. All though his post season run was great, his season play was horrible.

Now onto this year...

-Andrew luck still carries the status of super star best franchise QB ever, and yet for two seasons, his stats are of the mediocre variety. But he made the playoffs both years. I wouldn't consider him top ten in the league though until he proves he can limit turnovers and not throw games away.
-kaep? The one trick, one read pony? Top ten? I guess if you want to argue that, but it's possible to argue the reverse as well.
-Alex smith? Didn't turn the ball over, which is good. That's all he did. Half his TDs were on screen plays for god sake.
-Rivers finally had a decent season in forever. I'd pit him in top ten from last year. But let's see a second year of similar production.

I guess it comes down to the same 4 guys that do make it. Peyton. Brady. Bree's. Rodgers.

Those 4 are not the norm, and if you pay any QB like they are before they have a proven history, you are selling the farm.

I mean, honestly, all 4 of them didn't even get there major pay days until later into there careers.

Back to the original point. Chicken and the egg. Besides those 4' the top ten QBs that make it to the Playoffs every year changes all the time. But it's easy to say that in that season, the top ten made it. Well of course they did.

well lets look at the year before

so out of 12 teams that made the playoffs, 3 had top rookie QBS of which 2 are considered franchise QBs. out of the 9 remaining you have 7 who are considered franchise QBs. Out of the 12--6 were in the top 10 in yards, 9 in the top 15 in yards. Out of the 12-- 7 were in top 10 in TDs, 10 in the top 15. Out of the 12--8 wee top 10 in QB rating, 10 in the top 15 and so on. So yeah again if you want to be in the hunt for real you need a franchise QB.

Cartire

Reaction score
Anthony!":1js27giw said:
Cartire":1js27giw said:
Tical21":1js27giw said:

Now onto this year...

well lets look at the year before

so out of 12 teams that made the playoffs, 3 had top rookie QBS of which 2 are considered franchise QBs. out of the 9 remaining you have 7 who are considered franchise QBs. Out of the 12--6 were in the top 10 in yards, 9 in the top 15 in yards. Out of the 12-- 7 were in top 10 in TDs, 10 in the top 15. Out of the 12--8 wee top 10 in QB rating, 10 in the top 15 and so on. So yeah again if you want to be in the hunt for real you need a franchise QB.

Can you just please tell me why you think Hass wasn't a franchise QB. And give me your definition of one.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Anthony!":2huywh3g said:
seesurfers":2huywh3g said:

totally disagree, first who said over pay, if the going rate is 20mil then that is what he should get that is not over paying to pay the market rate. By the way we have no leverage with him at all. If he plays out his contract he will get more than we are offering and then we will not have a Franchise QB and will be back to loosing until we find one. Also if he plays out his rookie contract and then we want to sign him it will cost us more. RWs agent knows that. We have absolutely no leverage at all. We either pay him market rate minus maybe 10% home town discount or we loose him, and we start over again, and also loose any chance of getting any major FAs, as we will show we will not even take care of our own, so we will not take care of others. You statement of "I bet we'll honor Wilson not entirely gouge him and end up getting a 2-3 million per year discount." is laughable like FO is in charge, they are not. If it was an RB maybe but a QB, a franchise QB, a SB winning franchise QB who is young, the FO is not in Charge RW holds all the cards here, if we do not sign him for the money he wants someone will and he knows that. Whatever deal that is made will be within 10-20% of market rate and it will only be that far off market because Rw lets it.

I don't think that's necessarily true. We do hold a bit of leverage with the 3rd year negotiation, walk away from that and he's looking at at least his final year at under a mil and not guaranteed in case he's injured behind the worst OL in the league. If we franchise him after that for a year, he's looking at top 5 money, but just as risky as his final rookie contract year as there's no guarantees. Injuries while holding the Hawks by the balls for a larger contract will make everyone question him as practically his whole game in Seattle depends upon his mobility. Big Balls Russ if he does go that route, with the quality of our pass protection and the amount of abuse he took, you figure there's at least some warning bells going off to lock yourself long term ASAP.

In the long run he'll see more money over the length of an NFL contract than if he waits a year or two even if he tests FA.

Then you'll have the problem of free agency. Every team will want him for what he makes now but 20+ with loads of guaranteed? How many teams figure they have a good enough defense and power running game to carry him like is the perception? How many will cling to height bias no matter what he does? How many teams that figure he's a fit will either have the huge cap to lock him up long term in the year he's a FA or the will to make drastic cuts to pull him in? How many of those teams will already have a decent QB or a promising young rookie contract QB?

Of those that do fit him according to narrative, are they going to instantly start bidding $20+m a year or will they bid each other to sign the highest non guaranteed prove it deal they can while drafting a young QB to insure themselves?

He could well be looking at 6 years of non guaranteed contract, with maybe two years at a price close to his worth if his contract talks go sour here and he hits FA.

I'd get that 6 year guaranteed money contract ASAP if I were him, as long as it isn't a complete insult, and Kaepernick would be dumber than I thought not to as well.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Lady Talon":1row87nb said:
Anthony!":1row87nb said:
seesurfers":1row87nb said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. We do hold a bit of leverage with the 3rd year negotiation, walk away from that and he's looking at at least his final year at under a mil and not guaranteed in case he's injured behind the worst OL in the league. If we franchise him after that for a year, he's looking at top 5 money, but just as risky as his final rookie contract year as there's no guarantees. Injuries while holding the Hawks by the balls for a larger contract will make everyone question him as practically his whole game in Seattle depends upon his mobility. Big Balls Russ if he does go that route, with the quality of our pass protection and the amount of abuse he took, you figure there's at least some warning bells going off to lock yourself long term ASAP.

In the long run he'll see more money over the length of an NFL contract than if he waits a year or two even if he tests FA.

Then you'll have the problem of free agency. Every team will want him for what he makes now but 20+ with loads of guaranteed? How many teams figure they have a good enough defense and power running game to carry him like is the perception? How many will cling to height bias no matter what he does? How many teams that figure he's a fit will either have the huge cap to lock him up long term in the year he's a FA or the will to make drastic cuts to pull him in? How many of those teams will already have a decent QB or a promising young rookie contract QB?

Of those that do fit him according to narrative, are they going to instantly start bidding $20+m a year or will they bid each other to sign the highest non guaranteed prove it deal they can while drafting a young QB to insure themselves?

He could well be looking at 6 years of non guaranteed contract, with maybe two years at a price close to his worth if his contract talks go sour here and he hits FA.

I'd get that 6 year guaranteed money contract ASAP if I were him, as long as it isn't a complete insult, and Kaepernick would be dumber than I thought not to as well.

he will simply get a huge 40+ mil insurance policy like all the players do when they get franchised or are in the last year of their contract. That is why we have no real leverage. As to the carry him part, the question is how many NFL team really view him that way, I guarantee you it is not as many as you think. As to the rest its great fiction but not likely, RW is a SB winning WB who up to the last 6 games of the season was in the MVP hunt, and has broken records, he has proven plenty to get a fair market value deal. And if you think he will take 3+ less a year your nuts. The problem is anything that is not within 10-20% of the going rate will be an insult. Hence why I keep saying 16-18 mil. Also you are forgetting how we handle Rw will impact our ability to pick up other FAs and to keep our own. treat him well and fair and all is good, treat him bad, and no one will trust us. Plus remember he wants to be the best QB ever, hard to be considered that when you are in a run first offense. The only leverage we have and it is marginal at best, is we just won the SB, he is happy here, we will probably pass more next year, and if we come in close to market value then it would make no sense for him to play our hos rookie contract, if we are not close than he will play it out and go to FA and he will get paid and rightfully so.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I don't think he'll take substantially less than he's worth and I don't think we will or should think of letting him walk. I still stand by he's better off taking a lesser 3rd year contract. Better that mass of guaranteed money AND insuring yourself then sitting in traction and watching that insurance company try every trick in the book to find ways not to pay you.

As for the question they may or they may not, it only takes one team to want him enough in free agency, but the media/majority perception narrative will weigh into his contract even if the team absolutely adores him. Why wouldn't it? Nobody is going to overvalue him. If Kaepernick hits FA and bombs on a pass first team or any team, he'll be a cautionary tale about that fantasy dual threat QB flash in the pan and lower Wilson's market value.

He wants to be great, but it won't be easy putting your body on the line and stat padding for 2-3 years trying to sell yourself to the crappiest team with cap room. A lot easier selling yourself to the guys who drafted you, don't ask you to put up Peyton's stats, and make it in their best interests to keep you healthy.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
-The Glove-":39y8j737 said:
MizzouHawkGal":39y8j737 said:
Not happening because Lynch is done after this year and if Michael finally learned how to pass black that is when we flip the offense 55/45 pass/run.

With the gold chains and freestyle rapping, I'm sure he can pass black just fine
Stupid spell checker.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2z8zk29m said:
I don't think he'll take substantially less than he's worth and I don't think we will or should think of letting him walk. I still stand by he's better off taking a lesser 3rd year contract. Better that mass of guaranteed money AND insuring yourself then sitting in traction and watching that insurance company try every trick in the book to find ways not to pay you.

As for the question they may or they may not, it only takes one team to want him enough in free agency, but the media/majority perception narrative will weigh into his contract even if the team absolutely adores him. Why wouldn't it? Nobody is going to overvalue him. If Kaepernick hits FA and bombs on a pass first team or any team, he'll be a cautionary tale about that fantasy dual threat QB flash in the pan and lower Wilson's market value.

He wants to be great, but it won't be easy putting your body on the line and stat padding for 2-3 years trying to sell yourself to the crappiest team with cap room. A lot easier selling yourself to the guys who drafted you, don't ask you to put up Peyton's stats, and make it in their best interests to keep you healthy.

The problem is Kam ( I meant Cam Newton), is also coming up on FA. Also again the problem is he wants to be great and hard to do here on a run first team that has a strong defense. As to the Kap I can tell you for a fact amongst the league Kap is not viewed better than RW. There are those who do not believe Kap has the mental make up to be a great QB. There are some who say he had a defense as good as ours, a better o-line, as good RB and better Wr and still could not get it done. And before you ask I know some people who work for some of the other teams. There are going to be teams who will want RW, I know of a few who are hoping he reaches FA. However they doubt he will, as do I. And given we agree "I don't think he'll take substantially less than he's worth and I don't think we will or should think of letting him walk. " not sure what the issue is, he will get offered a fair market offer and that is that.

You should read a few of these and it might change thins a little, and I guarantee you every team has read these or at least have the stats and what they say. And think about it if these people have this kind of information and stats you bet every team has it and more, and the stats well lets just say Rw is getting paid.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... ignite.com

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/st ... Final/PRD/

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/173 ... rback-ever

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/31/5 ... iclebottom

Lady Talon

Reaction score
The only issue was that he held the Hawks by the balls. I think he'll get what he wants tbh. But I don't think it's because the Seahawks have absolutely no leverage.

I could show you a thousand articles from last year on why Joe Flacco deserved every bit of his contract and was elite. There were a thousand last year on the new dual threat breed of QB and why many would pick Colin Kaepernick to build their team. Before his injury it was 24/7 RG3.

Unfortunately Kaep and Wilson are on similar teams, elite defensive, heavy power running, low pass attempt. One of them may do better than the other in any any given year, but they'll be thrown into the same mold outside of Seahawk and Niner land. Kaep goes to another team and tanks with a large contract, you can absolutely bet he just lowered Wilson's market value. Without a top 5 D and playaction from a good run game, the only way Wilson will convince them he's the real deal is to pass for 4000+ yards and 45+ TDs. That isn't happening in Seattle unless the whole LOB gets injured and we absolutely have to.

Cartire

Reaction score
Anthony!":u0d4aosk said:
Lady Talon":u0d4aosk said:

The problem is Kam, is also coming up on FA. Also again the problem is he wants to be great and hard to do here on a run first team that has a strong defense. As to the Kap I can tell you for a fact amongst the league Kap is not viewed better than RW. There are those who do not believe Kap has the mental make up to be a great QB. There are some who say he had a defense as good as ours, a better o-line, as good RB and better Wr and still could not get it done. And before you ask I know some people who work for some of the other teams. There are going to be teams who will want RW, I know of a few who are hoping he reaches FA. However they doubt he will, as do I. And given we agree "I don't think he'll take substantially less than he's worth and I don't think we will or should think of letting him walk. " not sure what the issue is, he will get offered a fair market offer and that is that.

You should read a few of these and it might change thins a little, and I guarantee you every team has read these or at least have the stats and what they say. And think about it if these people have this kind of information and stats you bet every team has it and more, and the stats well lets just say Rw is getting paid.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... ignite.com

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/st ... Final/PRD/

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/173 ... rback-ever

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/31/5 ... iclebottom

I'm starting to think you are just speaking out of your you know what. Kam signed an extension last year. It was huge news for our organization. Bandwagon alert.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Lady Talon":1gff34ms said:
The only issue was that he held the Hawks by the balls. I think he'll get what he wants tbh. But I don't think it's because the Seahawks have absolutely no leverage.

I could show you a thousand articles from last year on why Joe Flacco deserved every bit of his contract and was elite. There were a thousand last year on the new dual threat breed of QB and why many would pick Colin Kaepernick to build their team. Before his injury it was 24/7 RG3.

Unfortunately Kaep and Wilson are on similar teams, elite defensive, heavy power running, low pass attempt. One of them may do better than the other in any any given year, but they'll be thrown into the same mold outside of Seahawk and Niner land. Kaep goes to another team and tanks with a large contract, you can absolutely bet he just lowered Wilson's market value. Without a top 5 D and playaction from a good run game, the only way Wilson will convince them he's the real deal is to pass for 4000+ yards and 45+ TDs. That isn't happening in Seattle unless the whole LOB gets injured and we absolutely have to.

And there could ne why he leaves. I also did no say that the Hawks no leverage just that Rw had more. Also while we are talking about perception the perception is Kap has a better wr corps than RW and a better o-line. Kap going to another team and not playing well will have little to do with RW as Rw has already surpassed Kap.

Lets look at career number for both
Rw is a career 63.6 comp %. Kap with a better wr corps is a career 59.8
Rw avg 8. 09 per attempt Kap 7.9
Rw is a career 100.6 QB rating Kap 93.8
RW throws a 4.7 tds for every Int, Kap throws 2.8 tds for every int

I can go on but you get the point, RW is just better and has proven it. In in a lot of cases Kap went down from last year. His comp % went from 62.4 to 58.4, his td/int ratio went from 3-1 down to 2.6 to 1, his QB rating went down from 98.3 to 91.6, his YPA went form 8.32 to 7.69. And despite getting more attempts he got less yards than RW.

RW went from a qb rating of 100 in 2012 to 101.2 in 2013, from comp% 64.1 to 63.1, form YPA of 7.93 to 8.25, from 2.6 td/int ratio to 2.9, and he added 240 more yards, and 50 more rushing yards, oh and won a SB and set numerous records.

So one is trending up (RW) and the other down (Kap)

Status
Not open for further replies.