Will Russell Wilson want $18-plus million? Kaepernick does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2ddnuu0f said:
Not happening because Lynch is done after this year and if Michael finally learned how to pass black that is when we flip the offense 55/45 pass/run.

With the gold chains and freestyle rapping, I'm sure he can pass black just fine

Anthony!

Reaction score
Escamillo":19as4plw said:
Lady Talon":19as4plw said:
So let me get this straight, we can churn out a historic defense every year, while riding Lynch to death and/or assuming we can hit on his backups being effective in a ZBS scheme that took Lynch months to run effectively in, behind the OL's we've produced under this regime, BUT we can just plug rookie contract QB's at any point our QB threatens to make more then 500k a year, AND win every Super Bowl for the next decade?

If only every team was as visionary....

Wilson already makes more than 500k, first of all.
Second, nobody is saying not to pay him well above that. People are questinong whether paying one player 1/5th your total salary is a smart thing to do. Nobody has won a super bowl by doing that.

I think that if you plot a curve with QB salary on the x-axis and SB chances on the y-axis, you'd get a bell curve. As the QB salary increases (assuming the QB is worth it), your SB chances rise, until you get to a point where continuing to increase the QB salary causes the SB chances to fall. Lots of teams foolishly are on the far end of that curve, where their QB is making huge money and so their SB chances are close to zero. I mean really, Cutler? Stafford? Bradford? Flacco? Are any of them so great that it was smart to pay them 20mil and gut the team? No. None of them are so great that they can win a SB with a gutted supporting cast. Heck, so far not even Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers have won SBs with a diminished supporting cast, let alone way overpaid journeyman QBs like the ones I listed.

Now, maybe Wilson is the exception. Maybe he, unlike Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers, is good enough to win a SB with a diminished supporting cast such that we can pay him 20mil even if it means gutting the rest of the team. But we have no proof of that at this point.

actually the original discussion was around how much he should get. The current cap is 133 mil, 1/5 of that is 26.6 mil, and no one here said he should get that, in fact I have been saying 16-18 mil which is way less than 1/5 or 20%. However there have been those in this discussion who thinks even that is to much. All that said the fact is with a franchise QB you can be competing year in and year out for an SB as long as you do the other thing straight like draft, fa, etc something out FO has shown they can do. However without a franchise the fact is you have no chance to even compete. So the question is do you pay your franchise QB and know you will be in the hunt most every year, or do you not, gamble knowing that means you will not be in the hunt for several years until you find another franchise QB, which does not happened every year. Add to that you will likely not attract any Fa, as who wants to go to a team that will not take care of its own players and has no franchise QB. That si why you sign your franchise QB, with one your always in the hunt, without your not.

Escamillo

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2k4wfmrx said:
20 million in 2014. Tom Brady makes 13 million.. 13 you follow? Maybe just maybe their team sucked because of injury? No way!!! Every team you listed was wait for it..decimated by injury in ALL THREE phases of the game.

I assume you're referring to Peyton, who made 17.5 and will make 20 next year. Yeah, the Denver sports media is saying Elway needs to convince him to take a pay cut. One of them even suggested a sort of blackmail, saying that Elway should demand Peyton take a pay cut, and if he says no, then the Broncos threaten to release to the media that Peyton put himself above the team by refusing a pay cut, thus ruining his reputation. That's the sort of thing Denver sports media is saying the Broncos should do.

As for Brady, I don't follow these things closely, but I heard he gave the Pats a "hometown discount" which kept his salary at a more reasonable level.

I did take note of your comment above about the salary cap increasing each year. I'm hoping the Seahawks can structure their contracts for the higher-profile players to gradually increase along with the cap. Maybe we'll be able to keep decent depth on the rest of the team that way.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
@Anonthy, 2014 after the season is done is first time we are allowed to renegotiate with Wilson. After he wins his SECOND Superbowl. Typical Seattle luck if you ask me. :p

Anthony!

Reaction score
Escamillo":5fp91cf3 said:
Lady Talon":5fp91cf3 said:
Your bell curve gets thrown for a loop when you consider we likely will not repeat a historic level defense for next year, much less beyond. And our Beast has hit the point at which RBs decline and can't be depended on much more.

Then what? Back to the 2 years of 7-9 (if that) while simultaneously trying to reload the defense, RB, OL, and QB with high producing late picks, or high cost, under performing FA's?

If the defense and running offense could stay perfect over the next five years, then you might have a point in saying we can pick up whatever garbage is available for QBs instead of literally getting the bargain of the 2012 draft. Unfortunately, they will not, and boy will PC and JS get crucified for such shortsightedness.

That's all well and good, but nobody has yet been able to argue against the fact that no team has won a super bowl with a QB making 1/5th the team's salary. And others are recognizing that. For example, as I said above, in Denver the sports writers and radio hosts are saying Elway needs to convince Peyton to take a pay cut so that they can upgrade rest of the team.

But at the end of the day, I don't think you need worry about Russell Wilson. I listened to an interview Doug Williams did after the super bowl (it's at 790TheZone.com, an Atlanta sports radio website), and he said (this is a direct quote):
Doug Williams: First of all, he [Russell Wilson] is gonna make enough money off the field to compensate for what he probably ought to be making at this time as a player. And there ain't no doubt in my mind, just watching the Seattle Seahawks organization - Pete Carroll, John Schneider, and the owner Paul Allen - you almost know that they're gonna do what it takes to make sure that they take care of Russell Wilson. :th2thumbs:

Great than there is no reason to worry we will have him weather its 12 mil a year or 22 mil a year. as to the 1.5 again who is making 1/5 of their teams cap. Even cutler is only at 16%, 1.5 is 20%. Its not about 1/5 it is about paying a franchise QB like he is a franchise QB what percentage that is depends on the cap that year. I ma very sure Manning was a top 5 paid QB when he won. IN order to really know you would need to go back to the year each QB won the SB, find out what their cap hit was and what the cap was and compare them. Good luck with that.

None it changes the fact that teams with Franchise QBs are barring injuries always in the hunt for the playoffs and SB, while teams without them are not.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Let's not praise Brady too much. He actually gave no such discount to the Patriots. He actually ended up making more money with his restructure but allowed more cap space in the short term

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
@Anonthy, 2014 after the season is done is first time we are allowed to renegotiate with Wilson. After he wins his SECOND Superbowl. Typical Seattle luck if you ask me. :p

Escamillo

Reaction score
Anthony!":1mw2bjtv said:
Escamillo":1mw2bjtv said:
Lady Talon":1mw2bjtv said:
Your bell curve gets thrown for a loop when you consider we likely will not repeat a historic level defense for next year, much less beyond. And our Beast has hit the point at which RBs decline and can't be depended on much more.

Then what? Back to the 2 years of 7-9 (if that) while simultaneously trying to reload the defense, RB, OL, and QB with high producing late picks, or high cost, under performing FA's?

If the defense and running offense could stay perfect over the next five years, then you might have a point in saying we can pick up whatever garbage is available for QBs instead of literally getting the bargain of the 2012 draft. Unfortunately, they will not, and boy will PC and JS get crucified for such shortsightedness.

That's all well and good, but nobody has yet been able to argue against the fact that no team has won a super bowl with a QB making 1/5th the team's salary. And others are recognizing that. For example, as I said above, in Denver the sports writers and radio hosts are saying Elway needs to convince Peyton to take a pay cut so that they can upgrade rest of the team.

But at the end of the day, I don't think you need worry about Russell Wilson. I listened to an interview Doug Williams did after the super bowl (it's at 790TheZone.com, an Atlanta sports radio website), and he said (this is a direct quote):
Doug Williams: First of all, he [Russell Wilson] is gonna make enough money off the field to compensate for what he probably ought to be making at this time as a player. And there ain't no doubt in my mind, just watching the Seattle Seahawks organization - Pete Carroll, John Schneider, and the owner Paul Allen - you almost know that they're gonna do what it takes to make sure that they take care of Russell Wilson. :th2thumbs:

Great than there is no reason to worry we will have him weather its 12 mil a year or 22 mil a year. as to the 1.5 again who is making 1/5 of their teams cap. Even cutler is only at 16%, 1.5 is 20%. Its not about 1/5 it is about paying a franchise QB like he is a franchise QB what percentage that is depends on the cap that year. I ma very sure Manning was a top 5 paid QB when he won. IN order to really know you would need to go back to the year each QB won the SB, find out what their cap hit was and what the cap was and compare them. Good luck with that.

None it changes the fact that teams with Franchise QBs are barring injuries always in the hunt for the playoffs and SB, while teams without them are not.

Being in the hunt for playoffs isn't a very high bar. Lots of teams without "franchise QBs" are in the hunt for playoffs. Above, someone said that the Seahawks had never had a "franchise QB" until Wilson (maybe it was you who said that; I'm too lazy to look it up), but if that's the case, then the Seahawks were still "in the hunt for playoffs" lots of those years, including winning the NFCW 5 of their 10 years I that division before the arrival of RW, and being a wildcard team twice during that time and just missing the playoffs in another of those years. So, even if it were true that teams with "franchise QBs" are always in the playoff hunt barring injury, it's not a factoid that impresses me.

And I look at teams like the Rams, who drafted Bradford as a franchise QB and have paid him as such, and it's been a disaster so far. They've not been in the hunt for anything.

Escamillo

Reaction score
-The Glove-":37p7oec4 said:
Let's not praise Brady too much. He actually gave no such discount to the Patriots. He actually ended up making more money with his restructure but allowed more cap space in the short term
Far be it from me to ever praise Brady. :pukeface:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Escamillo":uxwijsxv said:
Anthony!":uxwijsxv said:
Escamillo":uxwijsxv said:
Lady Talon":uxwijsxv said:

Being in the hunt for playoffs isn't a very high bar. Lots of teams without "franchise QBs" are in the hunt for playoffs. Above, someone said that the Seahawks had never had a "franchise QB" until Wilson (maybe it was you who said that; I'm too lazy to look it up), but if that's the case, then the Seahawks were still "in the hunt for playoffs" lots of those years, including winning the NFCW 5 of their 10 years I that division before the arrival of RW, and being a wildcard team twice during that time and just missing the playoffs in another of those years. So, even if it were true that teams with "franchise QBs" are always in the playoff hunt barring injury, it's not a factoid that impresses me.

And I look at teams like the Rams, who drafted Bradford as a franchise QB and have paid him as such, and it's been a disaster so far. They've not been in the hunt for anything.
But Bradford is a GAME CHANGER seriously he is. Problem is you can't be sure about which team he changes the game for much like Cutler for example.

Cad

Reaction score
Ya'll have to keep in mind with Brady is he is not the primary breadwinner in that household. Giselle gets around $42 million a year according to Forbes, and she's got somewhere around $300 million in the bank. So, yeah, he can afford to make a little less than your typical NFL QB.

JMR

Reaction score
So what were Steve Young, Brett Favre, John Elway, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and Drew Bree's making when they won? None of those guys were making top dollar?? Hard to believe, but I didn't check.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Escamillo":2ar5xctz said:
Anthony!":2ar5xctz said:
Escamillo":2ar5xctz said:
Lady Talon":2ar5xctz said:

Well let look at this past season shall we, of the teams who were realistically in the hunt in the NFC 8 of the 9 have a franchise QB. IN the AFC 5 out of 6 had a franchise QB, and once again it is not even just about 1 year but multiple years. As to you not being impressed that is fine don't be, does not change the fact without a franchise QB you have no chance.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Cad":2b84bfxb said:
Ya'll have to keep in mind with Brady is he is not the primary breadwinner in that household. Giselle gets around $42 million a year according to Forbes, and she's got somewhere around $300 million in the bank. So, yeah, he can afford to make a little less than your typical NFL QB.

But that's the thing he doesn't. It was a smart restructure for the short term but be ends up taking home more money than originally

Anthony!

Reaction score
JMR":2wa942ze said:
So what were Steve Young, Brett Favre, John Elway, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and Drew Bree's making when they won? None of those guys were making top dollar?? Hard to believe, but I didn't check.

The problem is it is really hard to go back and check all that data. It is not just what they were making, but how it relates other QBs of the time, and the cap at that time. Also is it cap hit number or pure salary number or salary and bonuses, there are a lot of permutation here. I do know P. Manning was one of the highest paid QB when he won his SB, after that it is tough to say due to the permutations listed and trying to get the right numbers. That said id they were not at the time, they did right after and most of those QBs have always been in the hunt, that is what a franchise QB lets you do, always be in the hunt legitimately not just because you got lucky. Without one you are only in the hunt once in a blue moon and if you get lucky, like being in a week division, or injuries hitting other teams, etc.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Per LaCanfora, Kaep wants TWENTY million a year and considers himself a Top 5 QB.

So yeah.. to those of you thinking Wilson and his agent will take less than 18 a year...

[youtube]qzTZ76vhnKk[/youtube]

Anthony!

Reaction score
well for all of you thinking we might get Rw on the cheap, not going to happen

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/ja ... w-or-later

"Colin Kaepernick won't be signing any contract for $18 million a season. Not for $18.5 million per year, either. The idea he would be happy to land a deal in the range of what Tony Romo or Jay Cutler is earning is a complete and total misnomer. Ain't happenin'.

So I'll let you in on a little secret: The 49ers already know this. Unequivocally. Their negotiations with their young franchise quarterback are still in their infancy, but they are quite aware there aren't any bargain deals to be had here. Far from it. Talks with Kaepernick, if they truly get off the ground, will begin at $20 million a year."

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I want Russell to get paid, but not in a way that totally handicaps us from being able to sign and FAs and re-sign our own guys. Kinda like what happened to the Ravens this past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts