Will Russell Wilson want $18-plus million? Kaepernick does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":71oibuzq said:
Anthony!":71oibuzq said:
The problem is Kam, is also coming up on FA.

No he's not. He signed a 5 year deal last year.

Hmm he is listed as an FA after this year still, oh I see I meant Cam, not sure how our Kam would have anything to do with QB salaries though, but sorry for the confusion.

So I am confused then to the below

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10471 ... w-contract

"Cam Newton doesn't plan to pressure the Carolina Panthers into a long-term contract.

Newton is eligible for an extension of his original four-year deal under the collective bargaining agreement. The Panthers also have the option of picking up a fifth-year option on the quarterback's current contract."

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":3qr69e3o said:
Anthony!":3qr69e3o said:
Lady Talon":3qr69e3o said:
I don't think he'll take substantially less than he's worth and I don't think we will or should think of letting him walk. I still stand by he's better off taking a lesser 3rd year contract. Better that mass of guaranteed money AND insuring yourself then sitting in traction and watching that insurance company try every trick in the book to find ways not to pay you.

As for the question they may or they may not, it only takes one team to want him enough in free agency, but the media/majority perception narrative will weigh into his contract even if the team absolutely adores him. Why wouldn't it? Nobody is going to overvalue him. If Kaepernick hits FA and bombs on a pass first team or any team, he'll be a cautionary tale about that fantasy dual threat QB flash in the pan and lower Wilson's market value.

He wants to be great, but it won't be easy putting your body on the line and stat padding for 2-3 years trying to sell yourself to the crappiest team with cap room. A lot easier selling yourself to the guys who drafted you, don't ask you to put up Peyton's stats, and make it in their best interests to keep you healthy.

The problem is Kam, is also coming up on FA. Also again the problem is he wants to be great and hard to do here on a run first team that has a strong defense. As to the Kap I can tell you for a fact amongst the league Kap is not viewed better than RW. There are those who do not believe Kap has the mental make up to be a great QB. There are some who say he had a defense as good as ours, a better o-line, as good RB and better Wr and still could not get it done. And before you ask I know some people who work for some of the other teams. There are going to be teams who will want RW, I know of a few who are hoping he reaches FA. However they doubt he will, as do I. And given we agree "I don't think he'll take substantially less than he's worth and I don't think we will or should think of letting him walk. " not sure what the issue is, he will get offered a fair market offer and that is that.

You should read a few of these and it might change thins a little, and I guarantee you every team has read these or at least have the stats and what they say. And think about it if these people have this kind of information and stats you bet every team has it and more, and the stats well lets just say Rw is getting paid.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... ignite.com

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/st ... Final/PRD/

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/173 ... rback-ever

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/31/5 ... iclebottom

I'm starting to think you are just speaking out of your you know what. Kam signed an extension last year. It was huge news for our organization. Bandwagon alert.

As I already said I meant Cam not Kam my bag

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Anthony!":27h5ld2u said:
Lady Talon":27h5ld2u said:
The only issue was that he held the Hawks by the balls. I think he'll get what he wants tbh. But I don't think it's because the Seahawks have absolutely no leverage.

I could show you a thousand articles from last year on why Joe Flacco deserved every bit of his contract and was elite. There were a thousand last year on the new dual threat breed of QB and why many would pick Colin Kaepernick to build their team. Before his injury it was 24/7 RG3.

Unfortunately Kaep and Wilson are on similar teams, elite defensive, heavy power running, low pass attempt. One of them may do better than the other in any any given year, but they'll be thrown into the same mold outside of Seahawk and Niner land. Kaep goes to another team and tanks with a large contract, you can absolutely bet he just lowered Wilson's market value. Without a top 5 D and playaction from a good run game, the only way Wilson will convince them he's the real deal is to pass for 4000+ yards and 45+ TDs. That isn't happening in Seattle unless the whole LOB gets injured and we absolutely have to.

And there could ne why he leaves. I also did no say that the Hawks no leverage just that Rw had more. Also while we are talking about perception the perception is Kap has a better wr corps than RW and a better o-line. Kap going to another team and not playing well will have little to do with RW as Rw has already surpassed Kap.

Lets look at career number for both
Rw is a career 63.6 comp %. Kap with a better wr corps is a career 59.8
Rw avg 8. 09 per attempt Kap 7.9
Rw is a career 100.6 QB rating Kap 93.8
RW throws a 4.7 tds for every Int, Kap throws 2.8 tds for every int

I can go on but you get the point, RW is just better and has proven it. In in a lot of cases Kap went down from last year. His comp % went from 62.4 to 58.4, his td/int ratio went from 3-1 down to 2.6 to 1, his QB rating went down from 98.3 to 91.6, his YPA went form 8.32 to 7.69. And despite getting more attempts he got less yards than RW.

RW went from a qb rating of 100 in 2012 to 101.2 in 2013, from comp% 64.1 to 63.1, form YPA of 7.93 to 8.25, from 2.6 td/int ratio to 2.9, and he added 240 more yards, and 50 more rushing yards, oh and won a SB and set numerous records.

So one is trending up (RW) and the other down (Kap)

Far be it from me to defend Kaepernick, but he's been in two NFC championships and was in the Super Bowl in his first year as a starter. Andrew Luck has had two seasons lagging behind Wilson stat wise and still gets the pass. Kaep has a better Comp% then he does, lol. Luck went sub 55% last year and is still considered the messiah. You don't have to convince me, and neither does Wilson, but you'll probably have to convince the rest of the country, sports writers, and GMs that RW is VASTLY SUPERIOR to them. RW might have surpassed Kaep this year, but last year the opinion was that Kaep had outplayed Wilson. And in both years Luck has surpassed everyone else except the 2012 RG3. Next year Luck will have outplayed everyone regardless of how many turnovers he throws because his team will perpetually be crappy enough so people say he has to bear more of the burden.

Get down to it, and like everything else connected to money in this world, every opportunity to save a buck will be applied without exception, including NFL wide and general public opinion, should it suit owners. Kaep's failures in FA will unfairly affect Wilson in FA. Conversely, if Kaep succeeds (lol), Wilson's FA stock rises.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Wright signed a 5 year extension in 2013. Quite team friendly also. Next up is Earl, I figure it takes around 10 million maybe 9+ if we're lucky.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
-The Glove-":34i0kvvv said:
MizzouHawkGal":34i0kvvv said:
Not happening because Lynch is done after this year and if Michael finally learned how to pass black that is when we flip the offense 55/45 pass/run.

With the gold chains and freestyle rapping, I'm sure he can pass black just fine
Stupid spell checker.

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
That is why we have no real leverage.

Let me make this a bit simpler. Would you prefer I pay you 1 million this year and 25 million next year, or 15 million over the next two years? Hopefully, you can now see how this translates to contract negotiations when Russ will only get paid less then 1 mil on that final year if he doesn't replace that final year with a new contract.

This negotiating leverage is multi-million per year difference HUGE!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2frta0y6 said:
Anthony!":2frta0y6 said:
Lady Talon":2frta0y6 said:
The only issue was that he held the Hawks by the balls. I think he'll get what he wants tbh. But I don't think it's because the Seahawks have absolutely no leverage.

I could show you a thousand articles from last year on why Joe Flacco deserved every bit of his contract and was elite. There were a thousand last year on the new dual threat breed of QB and why many would pick Colin Kaepernick to build their team. Before his injury it was 24/7 RG3.

Unfortunately Kaep and Wilson are on similar teams, elite defensive, heavy power running, low pass attempt. One of them may do better than the other in any any given year, but they'll be thrown into the same mold outside of Seahawk and Niner land. Kaep goes to another team and tanks with a large contract, you can absolutely bet he just lowered Wilson's market value. Without a top 5 D and playaction from a good run game, the only way Wilson will convince them he's the real deal is to pass for 4000+ yards and 45+ TDs. That isn't happening in Seattle unless the whole LOB gets injured and we absolutely have to.

And there could ne why he leaves. I also did no say that the Hawks no leverage just that Rw had more. Also while we are talking about perception the perception is Kap has a better wr corps than RW and a better o-line. Kap going to another team and not playing well will have little to do with RW as Rw has already surpassed Kap.

Lets look at career number for both
Rw is a career 63.6 comp %. Kap with a better wr corps is a career 59.8
Rw avg 8. 09 per attempt Kap 7.9
Rw is a career 100.6 QB rating Kap 93.8
RW throws a 4.7 tds for every Int, Kap throws 2.8 tds for every int

I can go on but you get the point, RW is just better and has proven it. In in a lot of cases Kap went down from last year. His comp % went from 62.4 to 58.4, his td/int ratio went from 3-1 down to 2.6 to 1, his QB rating went down from 98.3 to 91.6, his YPA went form 8.32 to 7.69. And despite getting more attempts he got less yards than RW.

RW went from a qb rating of 100 in 2012 to 101.2 in 2013, from comp% 64.1 to 63.1, form YPA of 7.93 to 8.25, from 2.6 td/int ratio to 2.9, and he added 240 more yards, and 50 more rushing yards, oh and won a SB and set numerous records.

So one is trending up (RW) and the other down (Kap)

Far be it from me to defend Kaepernick, but he's been in two NFC championships and was in the Super Bowl in his first year as a starter. Andrew Luck has had two seasons lagging behind Wilson stat wise and still gets the pass. Kaep has a better Comp% then he does, lol. Luck went sub 55% last year and is still considered the messiah. You don't have to convince me, and neither does Wilson, but you'll probably have to convince the rest of the country, sports writers, and GMs that RW is VASTLY SUPERIOR to them. RW might have surpassed Kaep this year, but last year the opinion was that Kaep had outplayed Wilson. And in both years Luck has surpassed everyone else except the 2012 RG3. Next year Luck will have outplayed everyone regardless of how many turnovers he throws because his team will perpetually be crappy enough so people say he has to bear more of the burden.

Get down to it, and like everything else connected to money in this world, every opportunity to save a buck will be applied without exception, including NFL wide and general public opinion, should it suit owners. Kaep's failures in FA will unfairly affect Wilson in FA. Conversely, if Kaep succeeds (lol), Wilson's FA stock rises.

Yes but Kap inherited a team that went to the NFC championship game the year without him, so he already had a good team.

Anthony!

Reaction score
seesurfers":10t24nj8 said:

Let me make this a bit simpler. Would you prefer I pay you 1 million this year and 25 million next year, or 15 million over the next two years? Hopefully, you can now see how this translates to contract negotiations when Russ will only get paid less then 1 mil on that final year if he doesn't replace that final year with a new contract.

okay that is great but does not change the fact that it is not just about 2 years.

Lets take you analogy and say he gets 15 mil for say 4 years that is 60 mil, Now lets say he does not and gets his 1 mil for the 1 year and then signs for 4 more with another team for 20 mil each. so in this scenario he gets 81 mil now do you see why they have little leverage Rw is only 25 and this is his first big contract, he is going to get paid and has much more leverage than the team does, because he is a QB, and the market is always hot for SB winning franchise QBs. hopefully you get it as well. Oh and by the way he is also making millions in endorsements so he can deal with 1 mil for 1 year knowing he will get 80+ mil for the next 4 or so. Your analogy would work great for an RB and most other positions but not CB, DE, LT and QB, there is always a market for them. Not to mention what you risk if you let him get to FA, you risk sending a very bad message to the whole team, and future FAs. He will not get to Fa we will sign him and it will be within 10-20% of the market value for a franchise QB. Not to mention the leverage Rw has because his jersey is the top selling Jersey, all the media attention he is getting, and the obvious backlash the team would get from the fans and media if we did not resign him. The only leverage the team has is the fact that RW like sit here, he loves PC, and the luck we have is he is level headed. All the rest is with him.

plyka

Reaction score
Cartire":2lib5ev9 said:
Anthony!":2lib5ev9 said:
Well let look at this past season shall we, of the teams who were realistically in the hunt in the NFC 8 of the 9 have a franchise QB. IN the AFC 5 out of 6 had a franchise QB, and once again it is not even just about 1 year but multiple years. As to you not being impressed that is fine don't be, does not change the fact without a franchise QB you have no chance.

Hold the hell on. 8 of the 9 have a franchise QB? 5 of the 6 in the AFC?

Please list the 13 franchise QBs so I don't misinterpret the information that were in the hunt.

And then I'll parlay the idea that there were 13 franchise QBs in the hunt, and somehow, Hass was never a franchise QB. QBs that have played no more then two years, some three. And yet they are all already given the label of franchise QB, and Hass was not.

Im also still looking for this mythical definition of a franchise QB. You already claimed that winning Super Bowls does not put you in the category. I have yet to hear a definitive reason why Hass was not considered a franchise QB in his almost decade long time as a starter for us. The only reason I have heard, is apparently no expert said so (which is a crock).

5 division titles. 7 playoff appearances. NFC title.

And yet 13 franchise QBs were in the hunt this year, almost half of which have no more the three years starting and only one has a Lombardi in those three years.

Not sure why you're so confused! I'll explain this to the board simply: a "franchise QB" is a QB who has won a superbowl. This is why you need a franchise QB in order to win the superbowl.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
plyka":3bvj1ax5 said:
Cartire":3bvj1ax5 said:
Anthony!":3bvj1ax5 said:
Well let look at this past season shall we, of the teams who were realistically in the hunt in the NFC 8 of the 9 have a franchise QB. IN the AFC 5 out of 6 had a franchise QB, and once again it is not even just about 1 year but multiple years. As to you not being impressed that is fine don't be, does not change the fact without a franchise QB you have no chance.

Please list the 13 franchise QBs so I don't misinterpret the information that were in the hunt.

And then I'll parlay the idea that there were 13 franchise QBs in the hunt, and somehow, Hass was never a franchise QB. QBs that have played no more then two years, some three. And yet they are all already given the label of franchise QB, and Hass was not.

Im also still looking for this mythical definition of a franchise QB. You already claimed that winning Super Bowls does not put you in the category. I have yet to hear a definitive reason why Hass was not considered a franchise QB in his almost decade long time as a starter for us. The only reason I have heard, is apparently no expert said so (which is a crock).

And yet 13 franchise QBs were in the hunt this year, almost half of which have no more the three years starting and only one has a Lombardi in those three years.

Not sure why you're so confused! I'll explain this to the board simply: a "franchise QB" is a QB who has won a superbowl. This is why you need a franchise QB in order to win the superbowl.
But Dilfer, Flacco, Doug Williams and whoever played in Tampa Bay when they won.

Cartire

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1gkrwan9 said:
plyka":1gkrwan9 said:
Cartire":1gkrwan9 said:
Anthony!":1gkrwan9 said:

But Dilfer, Flacco, Doug Williams and whoever played in Tampa Bay when they won.

Flacco is being payed like one.
Dilfer legitally sucked. Check his stats for that year. He was really really bad. His D was just awesome. Like insanely good.

plyka

Reaction score
Anthony!":2dipgg0r said:
seesurfers":2dipgg0r said:

okay that is great but does not change the fact that it is not just about 2 years.

Lets take you analogy and say he gets 15 mil for say 4 years that is 60 mil, Now lets say he does not and gets his 1 mil for the 1 year and then signs for 4 more with another team for 20 mil each. so in this scenario he gets 81 mil now do you see why they have little leverage Rw is only 25 and this is his first big contract, he is going to get paid and has much more leverage than the team does, because he is a QB, and the market is always hot for SB winning franchise QBs. hopefully you get it as well. Oh and by the way he is also making millions in endorsements so he can deal with 1 mil for 1 year knowing he will get 80+ mil for the next 4 or so. Your analogy would work great for an RB and most other positions but not CB, DE, LT and QB, there is always a market for them. Not to mention what you risk if you let him get to FA, you risk sending a very bad message to the whole team, and future FAs. He will not get to Fa we will sign him and it will be within 10-20% of the market value for a franchise QB. Not to mention the leverage Rw has because his jersey is the top selling Jersey, all the media attention he is getting, and the obvious backlash the team would get from the fans and media if we did not resign him. The only leverage the team has is the fact that RW like sit here, he loves PC, and the luck we have is he is level headed. All the rest is with him.

You're not making much sense in my opinion.

Wilson is going to make $800k in the last year of his contract. Instead of that, he could be making $17m, not to mention have a 6 year contract (security) with a lot of guaranteed money. This is the very definition of LEVERAGE. The Hawks can provide something that no other team can, and both sides can win. That is literally the definition of leverage.

None of this means that the Hawks can say here is a $5 bill, sign on the dotted line. Leverage means that they have an advantage, not a gun to the kids head.

In this scenario both sides can win. Russell Wilson can either play 1 year for 1 million + 4 years for 20m ($81 million total for 5 years) for another team or stay here with the Hawks for 5 years at 16.25 million per year and make $81 million total for 5 years. This is a scenario where both parties win. It is a scenario where the Seahawks have an advantage over other teams. It's the very definition of LEVERAGE.

Also, it is a massive risk for Wilson to go into the last year of his contract making less than $1m per year, without an extension. He has no security. One injury and he can see his potential $100m evaporate into thin air. He would be just stupid to take that risk. In another post you said "he will just get insurance." What do you think this means? In a massive market, people sometimes pay thousands of dollars per month in order to get insurance for a family for a month. In a tiny market, with literally "customers" in the few hundreds, how much do you think an insurance company would charge you in order to insure $40m-$100m based on an INJURY for an entire season? It's adorable that people think insurance companies are in the business of giving money away, unfortunately they are not. Sure he can buy insurance, it'll probably cost him a good 20% MINIMUM of the insurance total. You want to insure $100m in case you get injured? Get ready to pony up $20 million dollars, MINIMUM! 50% of his money up in the air due to taxes, 10% up in the air due to agent fees, 20-25% gone due to insurance --you can see how quickly 100m turns into not much.

plyka

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1e3202jy said:
plyka":1e3202jy said:
Cartire":1e3202jy said:
Anthony!":1e3202jy said:

I was just kidding...trying to point out the ridiculous arguments some people have. You need a "franchise QB" to win the superbowl, but yet you designate "franchise QB's" by who has won a superbowl. It's circular logic, completely irrational.

plyka

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2wsa0va1 said:
I obviously should have used the sarcasm emoticons my bad.:)

Damn, that's another circular something...i didn't understand that you didn't understand my sarcasm because of your sarcasm.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
plyka":2y3zhr33 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2y3zhr33 said:
I obviously should have used the sarcasm emoticons my bad.:)

Damn, that's another circular something...i didn't understand that you didn't understand my sarcasm because of your sarcasm.
Perfect! :th2thumbs:

SuperbOwl

Reaction score
Jesus, coming from a forum that was considered ridiculous, you guys are down right silly. Russell Wilson will be paid big money, did you guys not see the cap is rising 10 million this year from what was projected? Did you not understand that the cap is going to go way up again next year with the new NFL TV deal? Where do you think that money goes? Fullbacks? No Tight Ends? No! Defensive Tackles? No! Most NFL Money goes to guess who DE's/QB's/WR's/CB's

Russell Wilson will get 20 million plus, 18 million is 20 million next year, and there forth. He would have to take a huge discount or a huge crap in his contract year to not get there. We would be lucky to see 20 million a year at best. You guys really think, he is gonna take millions of dollars off the table for either; he wants to be here and or he doesn't throw for TONS of yards on a run first team. Home town discounts usually end up being about 1/2 a million a year less and are front loaded insuring a player if an injury occurred. On the other if you took Russell's #'s and averaged them vs the best throwing QB's out there, would BLOW your damn mind. Just on an average.

Russell Is going to get paid, and you better damn well like it, as the cap is going up 10mil this year alone, in the next 2 look for an additional 10 million. Really I'd rather we could sign Russell this year to a close to 18 million dollar deal, I WISH

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I figure IF we sign him to an extension it will be based on what Keapernick and Newton get but better. Just like normal. So 18 million sounds right unless San Francisco gets stupid. It might go to 20-21 million but not likely. God help us if he pulls a Flacco if so it would be 25-30 million.

Anthony!

Reaction score
plyka":1a26l1g7 said:
Anthony!":1a26l1g7 said:
seesurfers":1a26l1g7 said:

You're not making much sense in my opinion.

Wilson is going to make $800k in the last year of his contract. Instead of that, he could be making $17m, not to mention have a 6 year contract (security) with a lot of guaranteed money. This is the very definition of LEVERAGE. The Hawks can provide something that no other team can, and both sides can win. That is literally the definition of leverage.

None of this means that the Hawks can say here is a $5 bill, sign on the dotted line. Leverage means that they have an advantage, not a gun to the kids head.

In this scenario both sides can win. Russell Wilson can either play 1 year for 1 million + 4 years for 20m ($81 million total for 5 years) for another team or stay here with the Hawks for 5 years at 16.25 million per year and make $81 million total for 5 years. This is a scenario where both parties win. It is a scenario where the Seahawks have an advantage over other teams. It's the very definition of LEVERAGE.

Also, it is a massive risk for Wilson to go into the last year of his contract making less than $1m per year, without an extension. He has no security. One injury and he can see his potential $100m evaporate into thin air. He would be just stupid to take that risk. In another post you said "he will just get insurance." What do you think this means? In a massive market, people sometimes pay thousands of dollars per month in order to get insurance for a family for a month. In a tiny market, with literally "customers" in the few hundreds, how much do you think an insurance company would charge you in order to insure $40m-$100m based on an INJURY for an entire season? It's adorable that people think insurance companies are in the business of giving money away, unfortunately they are not. Sure he can buy insurance, it'll probably cost him a good 20% MINIMUM of the insurance total. You want to insure $100m in case you get injured? Get ready to pony up $20 million dollars, MINIMUM! 50% of his money up in the air due to taxes, 10% up in the air due to agent fees, 20-25% gone due to insurance --you can see how quickly 100m turns into not much.

well except for the fact that for one 17 mil would be between the 16-18 mil I have been saying, so what leverage is there they give him what he wants? 2 again given the market for QBs, and franchise QBs he could probably get more. They have no leverage what they have is a reasonable argument why he should take their offer, and there will be a reasonable argument why he should not. In the end that is no leverage. For instance if there was no other teams for him to go to, that is leverage. In Rw case we have no other franchise QB that is leverage. By the way any team that has the cap space can offer a 6 year deal with a lot of guaranteed money. And the cap will be going up not just for us but for every team.

Status
Not open for further replies.