Will Russell Wilson want $18-plus million? Kaepernick does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoxrox

Reaction score
MVP53":2phsj3wa said:
HawaiiD":2phsj3wa said:
hieroglyphics":2phsj3wa said:
What if Seattle pays RW like $10 million a year but Paul Allen on the side pushes Microsoft to give him a massive endorsement deal of another $10 per year?

I'm sure our FO will figure it out.

Heck...
I love this idea. How about Paul Allen giving RW
18 million a year MS endorsement deal and give
Him 2 million a year Seahawks contract

The NFL PA would never sign off on something like that.

I think he's already endorsing Xbox One and the Surface tablet.

jblaze

Reaction score
Cartire":w9tkgkwc said:
jblaze":w9tkgkwc said:
Cartire":w9tkgkwc said:
EverydayImRusselin":w9tkgkwc said:
Wilson is going to get $20m. He wants to own a pro sports team. How is he going to do that when he's giving us a discount for $12m?

He's not gonna do it with $20 either. If he wants to own a sports team, he'll have to start investments now. Which I'm sure he already has. His salary in football will only be a small percentage of his overall. His endorsements and long term investments will be his actual money maker.

He'll still gonna get at least $15 a year, maximum of $18.

I stick by my thought that JS will not give him an early extension and instead let him play out his final year of his rookie contract. The new CBA is changing everything and were just now getting to the years where everything is actually going to change. The idea of QB contracts following this unheard of inflation to always be the "highest paid" isn't going to remain.

Strap yourselves in. There is gonna be a lot of changes to the common practice in the next few years.

There is zero chance the Hawks let RW play out year 4 of RW's rookie contract. They will not take a chance on letting him get away when we've been looking for a franchise QB for 38 years.

RW has far outperformed his rookie contract, he deserves the raise and they'll give it to him at the earliest opportunity. There's one common denominator in most bad teams and it's that they don't have a franchise QB.

They're first world problems having to pay a franchise QB. Any team would love the problem of having a franchise QB with a large salary as you cannot win without one.

Trends change. There's another common denominator that's becoming more and more noticeable. Once QB's get there pay day the teams around them begin to drop out of Super Bowl contention.

Peyton made it with his team, but I think we can all agree just how weak the AFC is and also, Peyton made up for a huge deficiency in his team.

-Flaccos paid, they lose everyone.
-Rogers is paid, they limp into the playoffs in a bad division. Out first round.
-Ryan is paid, there goes the Falcons.
-Romo, ha
-Big Ben
-Eli, hahahahaahha
-Do you really think Cutlers team is going to be dynamic next year?
-I have no idea how the lions can field a enough players with Stafford, Johnson and Suh taking up 33%, but is it a surprise that they come up short every year?
-Brady is one of the best QB's I've ever watched, and he is the main reason they made it as far as they did. But let's be honest, the AFC East? St. Louis could have won that division.
-Bree's did well bringing his team back to the playoffs this season, but now that they have to pay a second player (Graham), let's just see what happens.
-Rivers? The definition of a long term mediocre team.
-Hell, I'll throw Bradford in there since he's making franchise money on the preCBA 1st round overall. ....

There you go. There's your franchise QB's in a nutshell. So tell me again why we must follow the status quo? Things are changing. And they will continue too. Do you not think that JS sees these trends? Do you want to do what everyone else does, or do you want to win Super Bowls?

Edit: and one more thing about searching for a franchise QB for 38 years. I think that's a huge slap in the face of Hasselback. Guy was our franchise QB for a long time and won us multiple divisions. Let's not pretend RW is the first coming. I love him, but you have severely hyperboled our history just because we hadn't won a Super Bowl.

Hasselbeck was above average, at best. RW is a once in a era QB on and off the field. He'll win more than 1 SB here and he's a much better player now than Hasselbeck ever was.

Your examples are speculative and purely subjective. Just because teams paid their QB doesn't mean the team automatically sucks. Paying a franchise QB is very possible nowadays, you just lose some of your depth because of it. I don't see any trends at all in your examples.

You're reaching here big time and no one in their right mind would wait til RW became an UFA before negotiating. That's a slap in the face of the guy who won us a SB while making peanuts compared to his counterparts. You show appreciation and respect and he'll be here for 10+ years.

No GM in the league would ever consider not re-upping RW after next year. They're much smarter than you or I with this stuff and conventional wisdom disagrees with you. I would argue JS is one of the more progressive and innovative GM's in the league and he's already got a plan to deal with constrained caps in the next 4-6 years.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Wilson is not going to carry a team to a championship by himself. He could easily get $20 million a year because that is what some teams are willing to pay for a good QB who can churn out .500 seasons.

But what if he wants to win more Super Bowls, what if he wants to leave a legacy as the greatest QB ever, and what if he wants to end up with more than $20 million annually in endorsement deals? Wilson is smarter than Kraepernick. If those are things he values more than simply having the highest annual team salary, then he will play the long game, which will allow his team enough leftover salary to reach the pinnacle of its potential. That is why Wilson will be the greatest ever, while Kraepernick will never win it all.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You guys realize we paid Percy Harvin $14.5M in straight cash last season? You're really going to complain about Russell making $18M+ when his time comes? He's the freakin' franchise QB, and some people here seem to think he should take a lesser deal than our-oft injured slot WR/KR. Some people have been waiting 30+ years for this guy and now others want to nickle and dime him, so he takes up 12% of our cap instead of 15%.

JMR

Reaction score
hoxrox":1vxxzjgg said:
MVP53":1vxxzjgg said:
HawaiiD":1vxxzjgg said:
hieroglyphics":1vxxzjgg said:
What if Seattle pays RW like $10 million a year but Paul Allen on the side pushes Microsoft to give him a massive endorsement deal of another $10 per year?

Heck...

And he's probably doing that on a favor/deal with the NFL, not Paul Allen. At least not for $$.

Pretty sure our players cannot have Microsoft endorsements that pay any money. That would be a conflict of interest between the team and Microsoft since Paul Allen has ownership in both. Probably includes their family members as well. If this was allowable by the CBA, then all we would have to do is sign all our players to league minimum deals with their "real" salaries being paid by Allen via Microsoft. It's his money either way, but the league isn't going to allow such an obvious loophole in the salary cap. They are paying smart lawyers lots of money to avoid falling for the banana in the tailpipe.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jblaze":3v8uxwoi said:
Anthony!":3v8uxwoi said:
jblaze":3v8uxwoi said:
Kap (or his agent rather) is starting the negotiation at $18m/year in the media and I think that's an important piece to keep in mind. That's the starting negotiation point. My guess is it'll end up somewhere around 16m a year. This is important because RW will be getting similar numbers next year.

RW will not be taking a discount no matter how nice a guy he is or how much he wants to win. This is a business and he wants to own a franchise or two in the future and that takes money. He's also been very active in the media this offseason and is interested in being a celebrity so I don't think he's going to want to be in the middle of the pack for salaries.

I think RW gets 16-18 next year. The SB locked up his salary for the foreseeable future regardless of his function in the offense. Yes we're run first and don't ask RW to carry the offense but I think SB's matter more than stats in the end.

The problem is while we do not always ask Rw to carry us, he has, and has shown he can when need to include this year, with the 31st ranked pass blocking o-line, and that will also be brought up.

I think this is true but for a limited period. Maybe 8 games while Breno and Okung were hurt, otherwise this wasn't the case so it's probably not a huge leverage point.

I do think RW could do more if we asked him to and we will in the future as our run game deteriorates a bit once Lynch leaves. I think he's doing exactly what they're asking to in regards to game management, not turning the ball over if there's any risk at all, etc.

Ahh he played with out 3/5 of his starting o-line for 6-8 games, and miller for 3. Add to that the 31st ranked pass blocking o-line it is a huge thing, PC has mentioned it on more than one occasion.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":3skvxhwx said:
jblaze":3skvxhwx said:
Cartire":3skvxhwx said:
EverydayImRusselin":3skvxhwx said:
Wilson is going to get $20m. He wants to own a pro sports team. How is he going to do that when he's giving us a discount for $12m?

He's not gonna do it with $20 either. If he wants to own a sports team, he'll have to start investments now. Which I'm sure he already has. His salary in football will only be a small percentage of his overall. His endorsements and long term investments will be his actual money maker.

He'll still gonna get at least $15 a year, maximum of $18.

I stick by my thought that JS will not give him an early extension and instead let him play out his final year of his rookie contract. The new CBA is changing everything and were just now getting to the years where everything is actually going to change. The idea of QB contracts following this unheard of inflation to always be the "highest paid" isn't going to remain.

Strap yourselves in. There is gonna be a lot of changes to the common practice in the next few years.

There is zero chance the Hawks let RW play out year 4 of RW's rookie contract. They will not take a chance on letting him get away when we've been looking for a franchise QB for 38 years.

RW has far outperformed his rookie contract, he deserves the raise and they'll give it to him at the earliest opportunity. There's one common denominator in most bad teams and it's that they don't have a franchise QB.

They're first world problems having to pay a franchise QB. Any team would love the problem of having a franchise QB with a large salary as you cannot win without one.

Trends change. There's another common denominator that's becoming more and more noticeable. Once QB's get there pay day the teams around them begin to drop out of Super Bowl contention.

Peyton made it with his team, but I think we can all agree just how weak the AFC is and also, Peyton made up for a huge deficiency in his team.

-Rogers is paid, they limp into the playoffs in a bad division. Out first round.
-Romo, ha
-Big Ben
-Eli, hahahahaahha
-I have no idea how the lions can field a enough players with Stafford, Johnson and Suh taking up 33%, but is it a surprise that they come up short every year?
-Brady is one of the best QB's I've ever watched, and he is the main reason they made it as far as they did. But let's be honest, the AFC East? St. Louis could have won that division.
-Bree's did well bringing his team back to the playoffs this season, but now that they have to pay a second player (Graham), let's just see what happens.
-Hell, I'll throw Bradford in there since he's making franchise money on the preCBA 1st round overall. ....

There you go. There's your franchise QB's in a nutshell. So tell me again why we must follow the status quo? Things are changing. And they will continue too. Do you not think that JS sees these trends? Do you want to do what everyone else does, or do you want to win Super Bowls?

Edit: and one more thing about searching for a franchise QB for 38 years. I think that's a huge slap in the face of Hasselback. Guy was our franchise QB for a long time and won us multiple divisions. Let's not pretend RW is the first coming. I love him, but you have severely hyperboled our history just because we hadn't won a Super Bowl.

Hass was not a franchise QB at all, and no expert would say that. Also yes you pay your franchise QB, because without one you have no chance, with one you have a chance. You can count on 1 hand the number of teams who won an SB without a franchise QB.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":sgsj8mxf said:
Uncle Si":sgsj8mxf said:
Qbs get paid on statistics, and RW is not one of the top 5 (maybe even top 10) Qbs in the NFl statistically.

Wilson will get paid, but until he starts throwing for 250-300 with 2 TDs a game I think we can relax on the "top QB money"...

Alot will be determined by Kaep's increase, as they are similar QBs
Joe Flacco laughs at this

everyone laughs at that

Anthony!

Reaction score
chris98251":1ijm20ej said:
So it's been a long time since the NFL has done this but in the old days there were player coaches. How would a player / coach salary work? Say 10 million player and Assistent to the Head Coach salary of 5 million.

Against the CBA

Anthony!

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ay9g6jf said:
Hawkfan77":3ay9g6jf said:
Uncle Si":3ay9g6jf said:
Qbs get paid on statistics, and RW is not one of the top 5 (maybe even top 10) Qbs in the NFl statistically.

Wilson will get paid, but until he starts throwing for 250-300 with 2 TDs a game I think we can relax on the "top QB money"...

Alot will be determined by Kaep's increase, as they are similar QBs
Joe Flacco laughs at this

The same Joe Flacco who has thrown for over 3600 yards and 20 TDs the last 5 years? 3800 and 3900 the last two years) Wilson threw for 3300...

I get it... noone likes my statistics argument.

I'm hoping it keeps his cost down.

Yeah you have a better chance of hoping for snow in the Sahara, there are way more stats showing he is top 10 then not.

Cartire

Reaction score
jblaze":2mfvrtn0 said:
Cartire":2mfvrtn0 said:

-Romo, ha
-Big Ben
-Eli, hahahahaahha

Hasselbeck was above average, at best. RW is a once in a era QB on and off the field. He'll win more than 1 SB here and he's a much better player now than Hasselbeck ever was.

Your examples are speculative and purely subjective. Just because teams paid their QB doesn't mean the team automatically sucks. Paying a franchise QB is very possible nowadays, you just lose some of your depth because of it. I don't see any trends at all in your examples.

You're reaching here big time and no one in their right mind would wait til RW became an UFA before negotiating. That's a slap in the face of the guy who won us a SB while making peanuts compared to his counterparts. You show appreciation and respect and he'll be here for 10+ years.

No GM in the league would ever consider not re-upping RW after next year. They're much smarter than you or I with this stuff and conventional wisdom disagrees with you. I would argue JS is one of the more progressive and innovative GM's in the league and he's already got a plan to deal with constrained caps in the next 4-6 years.

How in the world are my examples speculative and subjective?

I gave you every single franchise QB not on a post CBA contract. What have any of their teams done since paying out? You can say Eli won his second Super Bowl while under a good contract, but he didn't start making $20 mil a year until last year.

You lose far more then just depth. You lose your ability to be competitive at multiple positions.

And conventional wisdom? Conventional wisdom is what has created this crap shoot of contracts. It's exactly what needs to change. Conventional wisdom does not work in the 4th year of the new CBA.

Furthermore, one of my first post in this thread agreed that he will see at least 15 mil, and a maximum of 18 (which I think is still to much). But that the $20 mil a year contracts are going to start going away as GMs realize they can't be competitive when so much of your cap goes to a single player.

Please give me an example of how a team can be competitive.

The only team is the Broncos who have one of the best ever QBs who benefited from a super easy schedule and conference to get as far as they did. Every other team with QBs making close to $20 had teams who couldn't hack it. So what exactly did that $20 mil get them?

Anthony!

Reaction score
hoxrox":3skakfzw said:
MVP53":3skakfzw said:
HawaiiD":3skakfzw said:
hieroglyphics":3skakfzw said:

Heck...

But is has nothing to do with his NFL salary nor can it. That is called collusion and trying to get around the salary cap.

Anthony!

Reaction score
jblaze":1m726wxs said:

AMEN

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2j1qd1nl said:
Wilson is not going to carry a team to a championship by himself. He could easily get $20 million a year because that is what some teams are willing to pay for a good QB who can churn out .500 seasons.

But what if he wants to win more Super Bowls, what if he wants to leave a legacy as the greatest QB ever, and what if he wants to end up with more than $20 million annually in endorsement deals? Wilson is smarter than Kraepernick. If those are things he values more than simply having the highest annual team salary, then he will play the long game, which will allow his team enough leftover salary to reach the pinnacle of its potential. That is why Wilson will be the greatest ever, while Kraepernick will never win it all.

No QB can carry a team by himself, they all need help, now some need more help than others, but they need help. Rw can carry this team to a SB just like any other top 10 QB and he will be paid like one, all the other crap means little as he can get paid and still win championships.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Flacco only had a $5M cap number last season. It's only $15M for the next two seasons. He's NOT the reason the Ravens finished 8-8. He's not the reason why Ray Lewis and Ed Reed got too old. The Ravens literally had 96% of its cap to spend on other players last season. It has 89%+ to spend going forward.

Rocket

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":29q80o2g said:

It would appear that said endorsements have already "Surfaced." :179417:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":kh33a2s8 said:
jblaze":kh33a2s8 said:
Cartire":kh33a2s8 said:

-Romo, ha
-Big Ben
-Eli, hahahahaahha

I gave you every single franchise QB not on a post CBA contract. What have any of their teams done since paying out? You can say Eli won his second Super Bowl while under a good contract, but he didn't start making $20 mil a year until last year.

You lose far more then just depth. You lose your ability to be competitive at multiple positions.

And conventional wisdom? Conventional wisdom is what has created this crap shoot of contracts. It's exactly what needs to change. Conventional wisdom does not work in the 4th year of the new CBA.

Furthermore, one of my first post in this thread agreed that he will see at least 15 mil, and a maximum of 18 (which I think is still to much). But that the $20 mil a year contracts are going to start going away as GMs realize they can't be competitive when so much of your cap goes to a single player.

The only team is the Broncos who have one of the best ever QBs who benefited from a super easy schedule and conference to get as far as they did. Every other team with QBs making close to $20 had teams who couldn't hack it. So what exactly did that $20 mil get them?

Okay lets start with Eli yes he is not making 20 mil but at the time when he won his salary was amongst the top. By the way Brees is making 20 mil hmm they made it. It can be done it is all a matter of how the contract is put together, hwo lucky you are with injuries etc. All those QBs you mentioned had some other circumstances why they did not so as well besides the QB salary. Not to mention were are all the teams who made it without a Franchise QB? Answer there are none in the recent history. You have to go back to Dilfer and the ravens. Now lets look at your QBs

-Romo, ha
-Big Ben
-Eli, hahahahaahha

Edit: and one more thing about searching for a franchise QB for 38 years. I think that's a huge slap in the face of Hasselback. Guy was our franchise QB for a long time and won us multiple divisions. Let's not pretend RW is the first coming. I love him, but you have severely hyperboled our history just because we hadn't won a Super Bowl.[/quote]

No GM in the league would ever consider not re-upping RW after next year. They're much smarter than you or I with this stuff and conventional wisdom disagrees with you. I would argue JS is one of the more progressive and innovative GM's in the league and he's already got a plan to deal with constrained caps in the next 4-6 years.[/quote]

The only team is the Broncos who have one of the best ever QBs who benefited from a super easy schedule and conference to get as far as they did. Every other team with QBs making close to $20 had teams who couldn't hack it. So what exactly did that $20 mil get them?[/quote]

Okay lets start with Eli yes he is not making 20 mil but at the time when he won his salary was amongst the top. By the way Brees is making 20 mil hmm they made it. It can be done it is all a matter of how the contract is put together, hwo lucky you are with injuries etc. All those QBs you mentioned had some other circumstances why they did not so as well besides the QB salary. Not to mention were are all the teams who made it without a Franchise QB? Answer there are none in the recent history. You have to go back to Dilfer and the ravens. Now lets look at your QBs

Flacco - his team was old, and injuries a lot more than just the QBs salary there.
Rodgers- ahh he made the payoffs and if not for a few injuries on defense might have beaten SF
Ryan- dude really huge amount of injuries there
Romo-its room
Ben- again injuries galore
Eli- again injuries and then Elli played bad
Cutler-injuries enough said
Stafford-They come up short because Stafford still has to much maverick in him
Brady made it and has won 3 times 2 with him having a top 5 QB salary
Breed again made it and is making 20+ mil
Rivers made it to the playoffs enough said
Bradrod-injuries again, in fact he was injured.

So amazing how much injuries play in all these issues

It amazes me how If you look at it of the top 10 QBs by 2014 cap hit 5 of them either made the playoffs or were in the hunt till the end, and the other 5 all had major injury issues, had nothing to do with the QBs salary.

Let me help you more there have been only 2 teams in the last 20 years to win a SB without a franchise QB

Cartire

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ilygqs2 said:
Cartire":1ilygqs2 said:

-Romo, ha
-Big Ben
-Eli, hahahahaahha

Hass was not a franchise QB at all, and no expert would say that. Also yes you pay your franchise QB, because without one you have no chance, with one you have a chance. You can count on 1 hand the number of teams who won an SB without a franchise QB.

What expert are you quoting that thinks Hass wasn't a franchise QB? What exactly is the criteria here?

First of all, you say you can count on one hand the amount of Super Bowl victories that were won by non franchise QBs. This is nothing more then the chicken and the egg. Winning the Super Bowl is what turned most of them into a franchise QB. Some are obviously great players, that even without a Super Bowl are obvious franchise. Peyton comes to mind with his Super Bowl coming so far into his career. But most QBs solidify there franchise tender with the results of playoffs and Super Bowls.

Was Flacco a franchise QB before last year? Almost everyone would argue no. Now most (well, actually not most, but some) see him as one and he has been paid like one.

Had we not been refballed out of SB40, I think most people would have a higher opinion of Matt. He played nine seasons with us. Won 5 division titles, a NFC conference. If he wasn't a franchise QB after 9 years, then really, you admit the standard is winning Super Bowls.

And a quick bit about the injuries that was mentioned above this.

That excuse is growing tired quickly.

Every team has injuries. Hell we had a ton of injuries. #1 and #2 receiver out. Starting tackles out. Starting DL out. Linebacker injuries. I can only count a few games where we fielded all our starters, not including Percy.

To sit here, and tell me every single team with a high paid QB didn't do well because of injuries is an excuse and not the best one. If anything it further emphasizes the necessity for more cap spending on depth. And less on a single cog.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":f2wpayvu said:
Anthony!":f2wpayvu said:
Cartire":f2wpayvu said:

-Romo, ha
-Big Ben
-Eli, hahahahaahha

What expert are you quoting that thinks Hass wasn't a franchise QB? What exactly is the criteria here?

First of all, you say you can count on one hand the amount of Super Bowl victories that were won by non franchise QBs. This is nothing more then the chicken and the egg. Winning the Super Bowl is what turned most of them into a franchise QB. Some are obviously great players, that even without a Super Bowl are obvious franchise. Peyton comes to mind with his Super Bowl coming so far into his career. But most QBs solidify there franchise tender with the results of playoffs and Super Bowls.

Was Flacco a franchise QB before last year? Almost everyone would argue no. Now most (well, actually not most, but some) see him as one and he has been paid like one.

Had we not been refballed out of SB40, I think most people would have a higher opinion of Matt. He played nine seasons with us. Won 5 division titles, a NFC conference. If he wasn't a franchise QB after 9 years, then really, you admit the standard is winning Super Bowls.

Every team has injuries. Hell we had a ton of injuries. #1 and #2 receiver out. Starting tackles out. Starting DL out. Linebacker injuries. I can only count a few games where we fielded all our starters, not including Percy.

To sit here, and tell me every single team with a high paid QB didn't do well because of injuries is an excuse and not the best one. If anything it further emphasizes the necessity for more cap spending on depth. And less on a single cog.

Dude go back and google Hass you will not find one expert saying he was a franchise QB. As to the rest of your post, injuries can grow tiring all you want, but they are a fact of life in the NFL and they more than how much you pay your QB decide how good or bad you will do that year. As to this comment "#1 and #2 receiver out. Starting tackles out. Starting DL out. Linebacker injuries. I can only count a few games where we fielded all our starters, not including Percy." and yet we kept winning and a lot of that is because of Rw so you just answered your own question, yes he is a franchise QB and should be paid like one.

Cartire

Reaction score
Anthony!":3cevmyjf said:
Cartire":3cevmyjf said:
Anthony!":3cevmyjf said:
Cartire":3cevmyjf said:

-Romo, ha
-Big Ben
-Eli, hahahahaahha

Dude go back and google Hass you will not find one expert saying he was a franchise QB. As to the rest of your post, injuries can grow tiring all you want, but they are a fact of life in the NFL and they more than how much you pay your QB decide how good or bad you will do that year. As to this comment "#1 and #2 receiver out. Starting tackles out. Starting DL out. Linebacker injuries. I can only count a few games where we fielded all our starters, not including Percy." and yet we kept winning and a lot of that is because of Rw so you just answered your own question, yes he is a franchise QB and should be paid like one.

Haha, I love RW to death. But if you can't see that the reason we stayed competing was because of our vastly superior team and not just him, your crazy. Our DLine was finally a superior unit (after years of complaints) that we wouldn't have been able to field if we were paying RW $20 mil. If that unit isn't available, we don't win the division. We don't win the division, we lose HFA.

Listen, I love RW. He is great, but I have noticed that this board seems to completely under value the remaining players on this team that were just as much, if not more of the reason we got to where we did.

We had one of the best starting field positions this year. That wasnt RW. That's ST and a solid defense. We had the best turnover margin which gave us the ball back more then any other team. That's not RW. RW's rookie salary is what made a lot of that possible.

And once again, Hasselbeck set multiple franchise records. I cant understand how he is not considered a franchise QB in your eyes. Can I please have your definition of a franchise QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.