Winston Guy .... What's your problem bro?

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't get the teenager vibe from Wagner at all, I see a guy who might feel awkward in front of the camera though, Kearse is just a corn ball through & through, same goes with Guy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
"Half a major is better than a minor". Dee Reynolds

Psych evaluations aside.... Is the kid allowed a mistake in training camp?

Killa Kam

Reaction score
This sorta thing thing happens in every training camp, didn't Jeremy Lane and Obomanu start a brawl last year? Players start to get tired of facing each other, which leads to emotions flaring.

I don't know much about the type of player because he hasn't played much but he's trying to show off his toughness and took it a bit too far with the cheapshot, doesn't make him a bad guy. I'm just happy it wasn't Tate or Baldwin

VHawk

Reaction score
I use to follow dude on Instagram and twitter but had to stop because I was starting to lose respect for him.He is a young dude but really needs to mature if he is going to remain in the NFL.

themunn

Reaction score
Killa Kam":kenv2gxv said:
This sorta thing thing happens in every training camp, didn't Jeremy Lane and Obomanu start a brawl last year? Players start to get tired of facing each other, which leads to emotions flaring.

I don't know much about the type of player because he hasn't played much but he's trying to show off his toughness and took it a bit too far with the cheapshot, doesn't make him a bad guy. I'm just happy it wasn't Tate or Baldwin

Exactly, we lost a couple of workouts last season when the DBs and WRs started fighting each other.
Carroll will be upset that Guy is potentially bringing them into the same position this year - not to mention lighting up Williams with a cheap shot, but at the same time secretly pleased that Guy has that fire and wants to go out and hit hard every time

Just look at how he stood by Giacomini - yes he eventually pulled him for a couple of drives when the penalties got too much, but he stood by him mostly because he loves that intensity he brings

seabowl

Reaction score
hawker84":pwaqn3dg said:
They don't call him the terminator for nothin... sounds like the boys are itchin to lace them up for real.. i have no problem with it, every day in every camp guys get a little amped and do these type of things.. I'm still waiting to hear about the first camp fights..

drop the Boom baby...

I thought he claimed his nickname was The Predator from the RRR episode in which the guys were razzing him. To me it seems he is trying to garner attention in a backfield loaded with talent and personality. Unfortunately this is not the way to do it. It's one thing to be aggressive or fight a person straight up, but its another to cheap shot someone especially your own teammate. Let your talent within the rules make up your résumé Guy or should I say Predator.

Johnny

Reaction score
So he had one play that went too far, what's the big deal?

The guy has talent but he's just trying to hard to show it right now.. I don't get the posters on here that say OH CUT HIM! That's what our secondary is famous for bringing down the BOOM, isn't it?

This isn't a dance contest, It's football and the guy is trying to win a spot on this team which is going to be a up hill battle for him... I have no problems with things like this happening in practice it just shows that these guys are ready to go out on the field and fight anyone... We need that mentality come week 2 of this year when we face the 49ers...

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think he might just be a bit upset knowing that he won't crack the starting lineup in Seattle, but would be a starter on most other teams. That has got to be frustrating.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1wlzgfey said:
I'm not disappointed at all, in fact I love it. I'd much rather have guys who have to be corralled for going too hard, intense and reckless than have to light a fire under a bunch of softies.

Except this wasn't merely 'going too hard' it was a cheap shot that was completey unecessary.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3tkmy6t6 said:
Carroll called it a "terrible play that never should have happened".
That's all anyone needs to know. Pete is all about playing with toughness, but what Guy did clearly crossed the line. I wish some of you would actually find out what's up before flippantly posting in favor of dirty play that's detrimental to he team.

m0ng0

Reaction score
yep thats the difference, in todays NFL every big hit is going to be scrutinized that much closer and dumb/cheap shots won't fly, especially against your own team? In practice? Seems like he is trying to hard to fit in?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Throwdown":17xwezil said:

You might be saying this in jest, but I wouldn't shed a tear if he was cut. As someone posted earlier he's a little 'off' wait a minute, no, not just a little off...on another planet 'off.'

I also agree with Dom. The dude hasn't done anything of note since he's been here. So now he's desperately trying to distinguish himself by making big hits on his teammates, even during a no contact drill.

The dude is more than a little off... he's a flipping psycho.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":12qflunw said:
NorthDallas40oz":12qflunw said:
I'm not disappointed at all, in fact I love it. I'd much rather have guys who have to be corralled for going too hard, intense and reckless than have to light a fire under a bunch of softies.

Except this wasn't merely 'going too hard' it was a cheap shot that was completey unecessary.
And if cheap shots in practice become a pattern with him, *then* I'll be concerned. Otherwise it's a one-time thing and I like the fact that he's not afraid to mix things up.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I see this as a non-issue.

Don't think for one second dudes in that locker room are going to let this affect them in anyway. They have a game to prep for on Thursday, something this stupid shouldn't get in the way.

Time to chill and relax people.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hawks46":18sdgfoz said:
T-Sizzle":18sdgfoz said:
I dunno..... cut the dude some slack. He's clearly trying.....just trying too hard. Could be worse.

I don't have a problem with him trying hard. As a former defensive player, I get wanting to light up even your own guys.

The problem is, he went low on a guy during a drill that was supposed to be NO CONTACT. So, Williams wasn't even looking to defend himself....it's not like this happened in the mock game, or a scrimmage or anything. It's really akin to Thurmond flying in on the blitz and levelling Russell Wilson instead of just touching him down like he's supposed to.

It's immature and shows a lack of self control. Lack of self control will get you in trouble on the football field, more often than not.

Yeah no. Situations aren't similar at all. I don't care if its Richard Sherman. If you come on a blitz and level Russell Wilson, theirs going to be HUGE consequences for Sherman. There isn't a bigger No No in the book and nothing comes close to touching a red jersey.

SDHawk

Reaction score
hgwellz12":3v3h0hmc said:
Winston Guy. Oh where do I begin.
#1. Last year I barely noticed him ON the field, but, in the LOCKER ROOM (RRR) I wanted BB to come flying in with an elbow to shut him up. And I'm not even really one of the "just shut up and play" types. i love RRR but for some reason, WG is the ONLY Hawk that I wish would just STFU and stay off the camera. He tries tooo hard and seems a little 'off', I knew a few guys like him. Wait, no pun intended.

^This!

Clearly Winston is overcompensating for the ribbing in the locker room. BB gave him endless shit for wanting to be called a "Predator". He wants his teammates to acknowledge he's a tough guy, just like the LOB. He seems to be targeting the "big (tall)" newbies on the team - Luke Willson and Stephen Williams - to try and bring attention to himself. If instead he took these cheap shots at veterans like Doug Baldwin the team would have kicked him to the curb. Guy is definitely on notice, when PC calls you out like that it's not a good thing for your long term prospects, especially so when you're on the bubble to begin with.

The only thing I would hate about cutting Guy outright is the fact that the 9ers would probably be all over it. That douche would fit right in, too and could contribute right away.

Seriously Winston Guy, What's Your Deal???

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I can't believe some of the uninformed and non-contextual comments against Winston Guy in this thread. First of all, as has been confirmed by multiple articles which have referenced the incident, it was not a NON-contact situation, it was a LIMITED-contact situation. There is a difference. Secondly, the accounts that I've read indicate that Guy merely lost his train of thought and let his natural instincts get the better of him when took out Williams rather than attempting to pull up, that it was not a malicious example of 'targeting,' and the fact that Williams went head over heals brought extra attention to it than it otherwise may have received if Williams has simply hit the ground in a normal fashion. Obviously that's a subjective opinion of others, but it's an opinion that has been offered nonetheless by those who witnessed it.

And to judge Guy's maturity level based on his appearances in the Real Rob Report is patently absurd. The RRR is a vehicle that is specifically designed to get the players to act the fool in front of the camera and ham it up. Measuring someone's maturity level via the RRR is tantamount to measuring their athleticism via their performance in a potato sack race.

This has been much ado about very little.