With Seahawks reeling, Russell Wilson under the microscope

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2z2gso9v said:
The damage Bevell has done to this team is incalculable.

Not even sure who to blame at this point.

After the SB, there were whispers that Bevell did not even call that play - that Wilson called that one himself and Bevell took that one to avoid it falling on Wilson. Not sure I can buy that when every other press conference is Bevell throwing someone else under the bus, whether his fault or not.

The big problem is that behavior directly contradicts one of the most important pieces of the Carroll rules, the glue that hold the team together so it can reach the goal. Specifically the "protect the team" mantra. How can Bevell be "protecting the team" when he is routinely, if not subtly pointing the finger of blame at players? How can players be expected to conform to a set of rules that their own coaches do not bother to?

Without accountability, you cannot address and solve problems correctly, much less avoid them repeating.
But you cannot hold others accountable if you do not hold yourself accountable too.
(Well you can but nobody will respect it or listen)

The weird part is how does Bevell make it this far up the coaching ladder and not know this?
It's a failure by Pete Carroll to have allowed and continue to allow this to happen.

12thbrah

Reaction score
The CBS article was pretty spot on to me. Bevell and Cable wouldn't criticize Wilson if they didn't think he could handle it. I'm sure Russ would be the first to admit he needs to play better. You get a $20 million / year contract you better make those plays.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Scottemojo":7j41qu6x said:
I have been saying for a while now that Bevell's pressers have become a rather subtle don't blame me exercise.

And you yourself never participated in this behavior? We frail humans have a "built in program" that says...."Don't blame me!" ( See Garden of Eden) It may not be spoken every day, but it usually appears ever so subtly eventually.

Anthony!

Reaction score
12thbrah":12ltvvsv said:
The CBS article was pretty spot on to me. Bevell and Cable wouldn't criticize Wilson if they didn't think he could handle it. I'm sure Russ would be the first to admit he needs to play better. You get a $20 million / year contract you better make those plays.

He Has been saying he needs to play better but doing it without throwing anyone under the bus. However Bevell has not said he needs to do better, he has only thrown people under the bus. As to Cable he is right the 2 sacks were on Wilson, but the 17 hits, and hurries were not but no mention of that, the penalties taking us to 1st and 20+ were not on Wilson but no mention of that. Before I go pointing fingers I would make sure my own house is in order and for both these coaches it is not. To me the problem is the oline and play calling and design has gotten so bad Wilsons magic that has made them both look good for 3 years cannot even make up for it so now they are throwing him under the bus. Problem is now the players will start believing hey its not us, its Wilson. So this could go from bad to worse. A very dangerous thing they just did, calling out the QB without taking any culpability themselves or pointing at anyone else.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Are you really throwing someone under the bus when you tell the truth and it's something everyone already knows?

Anthony!

Reaction score
StoneCold":taykow2l said:
Are you really throwing someone under the bus when you tell the truth and it's something everyone already knows?

This post cannot be this stupid can it?:

hawk45

Reaction score
Man I would be okay with Carroll criticizing Russ and I think it may help jump start him this year.
But bevell with his all deep routes on blitz downs and cable with his belief he can field a competent line from projects, it's tough to take coming from those two.
I'm actually happy bevell is starting to whine at pressers, it means their little front about not paying attention to the rest of the world's laughter at him is crumbling.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Threads like this are further proof that the U.S.S. Seahawk is sinking slowly but steadily.

Hope PC/JS have the magic for one more rebuild/championship era in them. With our key players, it could be done.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":3gn2wlui said:
Threads like this are further proof that the U.S.S. Seahawk is sinking slowly but steadily.

Hope PC/JS have the magic for one more rebuild/championship era in them. With our key players, it could be done.
Agree very strongly with your first point and like you, am hopeful on the second.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Lots of windmill chasing on here by the usual overreactionary suspects.
I don't give a flying tomato about your little pajama party, but that is hardly throwing anyone under the bus. On every pass he throws he has to give his receiver a chance to make the catch. This time he didn't, but he did concede that Kearse's progress was thwarted by a penalty that never was called.
By the way, Pete and Cable said as much, so I guess your blame -- because frankly, blaming seems like a hobby to a few of you -- needs to fall on the entire coaching staff or no one at all. Did you ever think the coaching staff is possibly trying to get Russell's attention to snap him whatever funk he's sloshing through now?
Bottom line is the players and coaching staff are all good and it's nothing the deodorant of a win won't cure.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":38i1c3gv said:
Lots of windmill chasing on here by the usual overreactionary suspects.
I don't give a flying tomato about your little pajama party, but that is hardly throwing anyone under the bus. On every pass he throws he has to give his receiver a chance to make the catch. This time he didn't, but he did concede that Kearse's progress was thwarted by a penalty that never was called.
By the way, Pete and Cable said as much, so I guess your blame -- because frankly, blaming seems like a hobby to a few of you -- needs to fall on the entire coaching staff or no one at all. Did you ever think the coaching staff is possibly trying to get Russell's attention to snap him whatever funk he's sloshing through now?
Bottom line is the players and coaching staff are all good and it's nothing the deodorant of a win won't cure.
Still won't answer the question, will you?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm as anti-Bevell as the next guy.. but how in the world can Bevell possibly take blame there? Russell missed the throw. It was one of several he missed Sunday night.

I guess maybe he could just say nothing at all and keep it in-house, but I don't think Bevell saying "he didnt give Baldwin a chance at it" is either throwing him under a bus or wrong.

I do agree with Scotte that barring some amazing turnaround to end this season, Bevell is not coming back in 2016.. but it's not for this press conference.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2izx158s said:
I'm sorry, I'm as anti-Bevell as the next guy.. but how in the world can Bevell possibly take blame there? Russell missed the throw. It was one of several he missed Sunday night.

I guess maybe he could just say nothing at all and keep it in-house, but I don't think Bevell saying "he didnt give Baldwin a chance at it" is either throwing him under a bus or wrong.

I do agree with Scotte that barring some amazing turnaround to end this season, Bevell is not coming back in 2016.. but it's not for this press conference.
No. Not for this one.

No it isn't.

But it is a pretty big shift from past times when Bevell would protect Russell. In the context of Seattle's only criticize guys really in the doghouse culture (see C-mike, Bailey, Bowie) it is huge.

Rob12

Reaction score
austinslater25":h8nu2xj2 said:
I'm not even sure why but I hate this response from bevell even though it's true on this particular play. He's guilty of this at times as well yet hasn't to my knowledge ever owned that. The fade to Baldwin against KC is one example. You dial up what was possibly your lowest percentage play possible. I still think the problem with the offense isn't so much bevell as it is him trying to share the job with Cable. Too many hands in the pot.

Bevell will always look for a fall guy. This is the dude that has the worst play call in league history. Whether that's fair or not, that play will live in infamy. So he's always going to put up the walls and try and play defense on his performance as an OC. It's not surprising that he routinely throws his players under the bus and then throws it in reverse and backs over them as well.

Rob12

Reaction score
Anthony!":1j3gpo48 said:
My issue is not just that they went public, but frankly as bad as this oline has been, as many times as Wilson has bailed them out and then when they have an okay game you throw Wilson under the tires. He mentions sacks but fails to mention the 17+ hits, and hurries they got him Wilson is also way to much. OR the pejalties the olien made that got us into many 20+ yard down range. Same goes for Bevell as many times as Wilson has taken what was a horrible play call and then made something out of it, and yet he throw Wilson under the bus, The main issue is we will never really know because the play he is talking about the 2 pt conversion, you had Kearse complaining instead of running his route, and Baldwin got turned a round and they were both within 5 yards of each other. All this is going to do is split the locker room. They have decided rather than admitting their own failures they will just throw Wilson under the bus. I would not be surprised if something big does not happen this off season.

When are you going to hold Russ accountable?

I love Russ. Absolutely love him. I had an article published in the Seattle Times about him.

Russ has regressed this season. He spends bye weeks in Mexico. Say what you want - that's not the Russ we have known, and that's not the image that he has portrayed the past three seasons. He needs to get his ass in gear and be a franchise QB. Right now, he's not looking like one, and it's not all on the offensive line.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2a5e1ajh said:

try looking at the play, explain why Baldwin and Kearse are so close together, why did Baldwin get turned around even before he saw the ball. That was a timing pattern the ball went o a spot. but no one was there, however I think they should have been. I think Bevell through Wilson under the bus to cover up he had 2 guys in the same area, to cover up Doug may have run the wrong route, and of course Doug reciprocated by talking up Bevell. In addition a guy who has never taken responsibility for anything has no right to throw anyone under a bus especially one who always takes responsibility. The reality is all we have his Bevells word on that play. However if you look at it, what bevel says makes no sense. It was just another in a long list of times Bevell blamed others for his mistakes.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Rob12":bhgu10t9 said:
Anthony!":bhgu10t9 said:
My issue is not just that they went public, but frankly as bad as this oline has been, as many times as Wilson has bailed them out and then when they have an okay game you throw Wilson under the tires. He mentions sacks but fails to mention the 17+ hits, and hurries they got him Wilson is also way to much. OR the pejalties the olien made that got us into many 20+ yard down range. Same goes for Bevell as many times as Wilson has taken what was a horrible play call and then made something out of it, and yet he throw Wilson under the bus, The main issue is we will never really know because the play he is talking about the 2 pt conversion, you had Kearse complaining instead of running his route, and Baldwin got turned a round and they were both within 5 yards of each other. All this is going to do is split the locker room. They have decided rather than admitting their own failures they will just throw Wilson under the bus. I would not be surprised if something big does not happen this off season.

When are you going to hold Russ accountable?

I love Russ. Absolutely love him. I had an article published in the Seattle Times about him.

Russ has regressed this season. He spends bye weeks in Mexico. Say what you want - that's not the Russ we have known, and that's not the image that he has portrayed the past three seasons. He needs to get his ass in gear and be a franchise QB. Right now, he's not looking like one, and it's not all on the offensive line.

Once again you should read all my posts I have said many times when he made a bad throw, or something. Under your premise I Guess Rodgers is not a franchise Qb his oline went to crap and he looks like crap now. I agree Wilson is not playing well the only difference is I also see how the players around him are not playing well either, and the coaches suck. I watched for 3 years while Wilson ran around making his oline and OC look good, and now that there is just to much for even him to overcome unlike you and others I am not throwing him to the trash. The int was a bad throw as I have said several times. All that said if we do not have 1st and 20 on 6 of our drives, or graham catches done of his 3 drops, or the oline manages to not let him get hit or hurried over 17 times, or he does not have to throw the ball away 6 times things are different. Not to mention once again none of this changes the fact you have a OC that has thrown player after player under the bus but never once took responsibility for anything. I have no problem holding Wilson accountable, but when so much around his sucks it is hard to be too hard. When your oline leads the league in free rushers to your QB by a wide margin, when your plays are called not NFL caliber by the experts, when your Wr cannot get separation and you are being berated constantly about no TO, not taking chances. When your play book includes your QB running around and making something out of nothing, it is really hard to put a lot on the QB. For 3 years this offense worked because of Lynch's hard running, and Wilsons making magic when things break down, Now this year things have gotten so bad even they cannot make up for it and we want to throw one of them under the bus. Like I said I have no problem admitting he is not playing well, but he is not even in my top 3 of issues on offense.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
RW is playing the same as he has pretty much his whole career. That is to say he's playing like a 500K QB, not a 20M QB. He rightfully has higher expectations. People say its not OK to judge him like Hall of Fame QBs, HES MAKING THAT KIND OF MONEY. He completely deserves the judgment, the franchise lives and dies with him now.

Editorial: The FO is dumb, I've said all along it was dumb to pay him, we should have traded him for Mariota, we shouldn't have signed him until his contract was up it was dumb loyalty and its going to both stop this dynasty from getting off the ground and set the franchise back 6 years.....

ok i'm going back to jessica jones, see you all sunday

seabowl

Reaction score
When asked about his offensive coordinators response to the failed 2 point conversion Russ responded Fire Bevell.

Foodnwine

Reaction score
Every 20 million dollar qb misses plays. EVery 20 million dollar qb makes plays. We just happen to have the only 20 million dollar qb with an offensive line that's learning how to play the position and a receiving corps that doesn't get much separation. It's a repeated circle of the qb not getting time to throw, receivers not having talent or time to get open before throw needs to come out. With defenders sitting on short routes.