With Seahawks reeling, Russell Wilson under the microscope

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I truly believe PC, Bevell and Cable are all under the delusion the current offensive debacle is entirely based on the failure of the players. I also think all 3 have an over-inflated opinion of themselves-that their offensive philosophy and system is perfected. I expect to see more subtle jabs from them toward Wilson and others in the future.

On the other end, any franchise qb should be able to handle some criticism, wherever it comes from, and I've never seen Wilson make any subtle digs at the coaches' implied remarks, which is wise on his part. And Wilson is a major contributing factor to our problems. That said, Bevell being replaced is long overdue but I just don't see PC pulling the trigger. With regard to firing coaches, Big Balls Pete is the Great Gelded Californian.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Anthony!":g4tm2xfu said:
StoneCold":g4tm2xfu said:
Are you really throwing someone under the bus when you tell the truth and it's something everyone already knows?

This post cannot be this stupid can it?:

If I work at it I could make it stupider, if you'd like.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2w3vec4a said:
My issue is not just that they went public, but frankly as bad as this oline has been, as many times as Wilson has bailed them out and then when they have an okay game you throw Wilson under the tires. He mentions sacks but fails to mention the 17+ hits, and hurries they got him Wilson is also way to much. OR the pejalties the olien made that got us into many 20+ yard down range. Same goes for Bevell as many times as Wilson has taken what was a horrible play call and then made something out of it, and yet he throw Wilson under the bus, The main issue is we will never really know because the play he is talking about the 2 pt conversion, you had Kearse complaining instead of running his route, and Baldwin got turned a round and they were both within 5 yards of each other. All this is going to do is split the locker room. They have decided rather than admitting their own failures they will just throw Wilson under the bus. I would not be surprised if something big does not happen this off season.

Anthony, good points regarding the hits and hurries. However, we can't put the 1st and 20+ v. AZ on the O-line. The first call on Gilliam was a bogus call, I think we all agree on that. The next was on Britt, we didn't see the replay but I guess we will assume it was a legitimate call. The next two holds were on Graham and Willson. Only one of penalty of that ridiculous opening 20 minutes against AZ was an actual penalty on the O Line.

Anthony!

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":gek336zm said:
I truly believe PC, Bevell and Cable are all under the delusion the current offensive debacle is entirely based on the failure of the players. I also think all 3 have an over-inflated opinion of themselves-that their offensive philosophy and system is perfected. I expect to see more subtle jabs from them toward Wilson and others in the future.

On the other end, any franchise qb should be able to handle some criticism, wherever it comes from, and I've never seen Wilson make any subtle digs at the coaches' implied remarks, which is wise on his part. And Wilson is a major contributing factor to our problems. That said, Bevell being replaced is long overdue but I just don't see PC pulling the trigger. With regard to firing coaches, Big Balls Pete is the Great Gelded Californian.

Agreed on most, however if this continues you will see a team that no longer belies its coaches and there for we will have a huge problem.

Anthony!

Reaction score
StoneCold":396bcl7q said:
Anthony!":396bcl7q said:
StoneCold":396bcl7q said:
Are you really throwing someone under the bus when you tell the truth and it's something everyone already knows?

I have no doubt you can but thanks for admitting it was stupid

Anthony!

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":2ci7oqbh said:
Anthony!":2ci7oqbh said:
My issue is not just that they went public, but frankly as bad as this oline has been, as many times as Wilson has bailed them out and then when they have an okay game you throw Wilson under the tires. He mentions sacks but fails to mention the 17+ hits, and hurries they got him Wilson is also way to much. OR the pejalties the olien made that got us into many 20+ yard down range. Same goes for Bevell as many times as Wilson has taken what was a horrible play call and then made something out of it, and yet he throw Wilson under the bus, The main issue is we will never really know because the play he is talking about the 2 pt conversion, you had Kearse complaining instead of running his route, and Baldwin got turned a round and they were both within 5 yards of each other. All this is going to do is split the locker room. They have decided rather than admitting their own failures they will just throw Wilson under the bus. I would not be surprised if something big does not happen this off season.

Anthony, good points regarding the hits and hurries. However, we can't put the 1st and 20+ v. AZ on the O-line. The first call on Gilliam was a bogus call, I think we all agree on that. The next was on Britt, we didn't see the replay but I guess we will assume it was a legitimate call. The next two holds were on Graham and Willson. Only one of penalty of that ridiculous opening 20 minutes against AZ was an actual penalty on the O Line.

Agreed however that does not change the fact they were in 1st and 20+ plus and at least 3 od those were called on the oline. Not to mention the 17+ hits and hurries on Wilson that Cable completely ignored. The oline was far from avg. Also the TE work with Cable on blocking so them getting the penalties is still a line issue and cable.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":14jez64d said:
The main issue is we will never really know because the play he is talking about the 2 pt conversion, you had Kearse complaining instead of running his route, and Baldwin got turned a round and they were both within 5 yards of each other.

What, precisely, is Kearse supposed to do when he's taken out of the play by the defender blatantly holding him back, yet there's no flag? He was mugged on that play and had every right to complain.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I expressed concerns about Wilson this pre-season, with the myriad distractions he had - divorce, change in agent, shift in influence from domestic to his entourage of yes-men, money, dating, endorsements, etc. - and was told not to worry it's just pre-season.

Well, the Russell Wilson who took us to the Super Bowl didn't take pre-season, or any time, off. Every time he was on the field it was an opportunity to show the results of his dedication to training and preparation.

It's just not there this year. We don't hear him say "the separation is in the preparation" anymore, perhaps because the preparation is not what it could be in part thanks to the various distractions in his life.

Now in the regular season we are seeing exactly what I was concerned about in pre-season. What is the excuse now? Bad offensive line? Well, a bad offensive line doesn't make him hold the ball too long, because the best way to counter a poor offensive line is to get rid of the ball quicker. Quicker release means fewer holding penalties because the OL doesn't have to sustain blocks as long.

Wilson is brilliant at throwing on the run. We know this, and it makes him special. But it works when it happens unexpectedly. When he drops back and goes into sandlot mode as a common thing, it's a lot less effective, and causes problems.

We blame Bevell for poor play calling, but nobody draws up seven-second routes. When Wilson is running around being indecisive, that's no longer Bevell's play calling - it's straight out of the sandlot. Bevell might as well call in "Wilson's going to run around and the receivers will try to get open". There's no planning, no scheme, just chaos.

Chaos works - in small doses. Chaos can result in big plays. But it's axiomatic that you can't coordinate chaos.

Anthony!

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1trcwnto said:
Anthony!":1trcwnto said:
The main issue is we will never really know because the play he is talking about the 2 pt conversion, you had Kearse complaining instead of running his route, and Baldwin got turned a round and they were both within 5 yards of each other.

What, precisely, is Kearse supposed to do when he's taken out of the play by the defender blatantly holding him back, yet there's no flag? He was mugged on that play and had every right to complain.

oh I do not know keep running his route and complaining after not during. Maybe if he did he would have gotten the call.

Anthony!

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":uang9lpg said:
I expressed concerns about Wilson this pre-season, with the myriad distractions he had - divorce, change in agent, shift in influence from domestic to his entourage of yes-men, money, dating, endorsements, etc. - and was told not to worry it's just pre-season.

Well, the Russell Wilson who took us to the Super Bowl didn't take pre-season, or any time, off. Every time he was on the field it was an opportunity to show the results of his dedication to training and preparation.

It's just not there this year. We don't hear him say "the separation is in the preparation" anymore, perhaps because the preparation is not what it could be in part thanks to the various distractions in his life.

Now in the regular season we are seeing exactly what I was concerned about in pre-season. What is the excuse now? Bad offensive line? Well, a bad offensive line doesn't make him hold the ball too long, because the best way to counter a poor offensive line is to get rid of the ball quicker. Quicker release means fewer holding penalties because the OL doesn't have to sustain blocks as long.

Wilson is brilliant at throwing on the run. We know this, and it makes him special. But it works when it happens unexpectedly. When he drops back and goes into sandlot mode as a common thing, it's a lot less effective, and causes problems.

We blame Bevell for poor play calling, but nobody draws up seven-second routes. When Wilson is running around being indecisive, that's no longer Bevell's play calling - it's straight out of the sandlot. Bevell might as well call in "Wilson's going to run around and the receivers will try to get open". There's no planning, no scheme, just chaos.

Chaos works - in small doses. Chaos can result in big plays. But it's axiomatic that you can't coordinate chaos.

well if you listened to both PC and Bevell the "sandlot" football is something they count on in their offense. AS to the rest as you know there is a counter point to everything you are saying. For instance you are correct a bad oline doe snot make him hold the ball to long, but all long patterns do, Wr not getting open does, have your HC and OC in your ear all the time of no TO not chances does. FYI Wilson doe snot always go into sandlot mode when he drops back and you know it, so lets stop exaggerating. There is a little doubt he is not playing well, but frankly no one on offense is and that is the bigger issue here.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Anthony!":37nhrdci said:
StoneCold":37nhrdci said:
Anthony!":37nhrdci said:
StoneCold":37nhrdci said:

I admit nothing of the sort. Thanks for believing in me though, it makes my inner tinkerbell very happy.

Anthony!

Reaction score
StoneCold":3824iwqk said:
Anthony!":3824iwqk said:
StoneCold":3824iwqk said:
Anthony!":3824iwqk said:

I admit nothing of the sort. Thanks for believing in me though, t makes my inner tinkerbell very happy.

if you say so

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
12thbrah":2iw52z8h said:
The CBS article was pretty spot on to me. Bevell and Cable wouldn't criticize Wilson if they didn't think he could handle it. I'm sure Russ would be the first to admit he needs to play better. You get a $20 million / year contract you better make those plays.

The question in this thread is whether Bevell is actively making it harder for Russell to succeed.

In previous years, Wilson could scramble out of things and find someone open for 40 yards downfield. This year, defensive front sevens have finally figured out that they need to contain the edges and not let him out, so they do. Which means Wilson's improvising days are over, and we finally get to see how effective our gameplan is because Wilson has to rely fully on it.

So far, I'm not impressed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":a79cktj5 said:
You lose credibility when you refuse to acknowledge his part in the losses.

I'm surprised that Bevell, & Cable are saying a damned thing.
Bevell calling for the Pass Play to Lockette that cost us SB 49, for which Carroll Took took blame.
Cable for doing his dead level best to shirk his responsibility to protect his running Quarterback, because of poor O-Line play, that's been allowing for the MOST SACKS, MOST HITS, LESS PUSH, even for Marshawn, eh?
It's a juggling Defensive players experiment that has soured the formula.
Like I said before, They're blaming Wilson for THEIR MISTAKES.....Pathetic.
I wouldn't blame Paul Allen if he were to call Pete, and tell him that he needs to stop the leaks.
Pete has too good a legacy to let those yacking buffoons blabber on like that.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":3ewe29py said:
That's just it, it ain't the truth.
Just because you're declaring it to be the truth, doesn't make it so.
I've heard other well respected Analyst's say that MOST of the fault lies with the Coaches trying to get by on the cheap with the O'-line, and it's obvious that THAT 's the truth of the matter.
Wilson can play better, but he can't call for protection that REGULARLY evaporates in 1.5 to 2.6 Seconds, and have time to pull those plays out of a nose dive.
It's Consistency that is NOT THERE.
Hell, I'm surprised that Wilson hasn't developed a stuttering problem.
Nice that HIS Coaches, that supposedly has his best interest in mind, are the ones that are pointing the finger at him, and all the while it's THEIR ineptitude, THEIR mistakes that he keeps to himself in his interviews with the media.

Anthony!

Reaction score
scutterhawk":hysz4foc said:
StoneCold":hysz4foc said:
That's just it, it ain't the truth.
Just because you're declaring it to be the truth, doesn't make it so.
I've heard other well respected Analyst's say that MOST of the fault lies with the Coaches trying to get by on the cheap with the O'-line, and it's obvious that THAT 's the truth of the matter.
Wilson can play better, but he can't call for protection that REGULARLY evaporates in 1.5 to 2.6 Seconds, and have time to pull those plays out of a nose dive.
It's Consistency that is NOT THERE.
Hell, I'm surprised that Wilson hasn't developed a stuttering problem.
Nice that HIS Coaches, that supposedly has his best interest in mind, are the ones that are pointing the finger at him, and all the while it's THEIR ineptitude, THEIR mistakes that he keeps to himself in his interviews with the media.

We have a winner BIN BING BING!! And guess what all the experts are saying the same thing about the coaches pointing fingers now.

HawkGA

Reaction score
There's another thread that has the video of the play. One thing I fail to see based on Bevel's remarks is where exactly Wilson was supposed to put the ball for Baldwin to make a play on it. I would believe Bevell if he said Wilson threw to the wrong guy. But he didn't. He seems to support throwing it to the area of the field with the biggest crowd of people and no open receivers.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3c322h40 said:
12thbrah":3c322h40 said:
The CBS article was pretty spot on to me. Bevell and Cable wouldn't criticize Wilson if they didn't think he could handle it. I'm sure Russ would be the first to admit he needs to play better. You get a $20 million / year contract you better make those plays.

The question in this thread is whether Bevell is actively making it harder for Russell to succeed.

In previous years, Wilson could scramble out of things and find someone open for 40 yards downfield. This year, defensive front sevens have finally figured out that they need to contain the edges and not let him out, so they do. Which means Wilson's improvising days are over, and we finally get to see how effective our gameplan is because Wilson has to rely fully on it.

So far, I'm not impressed.

I seriously doubt that. Once we are able to start gashing a few big inside runs off again, those DE's will not be able to hold their edge quite so easily. Also, we could roll him out more, but that likely will be into next season before Bevell figures that out.

jake206

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonPuckett20/status/668454784374956032[/tweet]

Ciara effect is on full. No more 5:30 video preps...no more meetings w/ receivers. Nope gotta be there for CiCi.

Seafan

Reaction score
RW has the largest share of blame for this season and the best chance at redeeming it. I don't expect he will.