Would Hawks Let Wilson Walk?

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
The FO is being cautious? What?

I want them to be brash, short-sighted and act wildly with Wilson's contract so it makes the Seahawks future bleak? What a dumb FO and TOTALLY news worthy.

:sarcasm_off:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Most of the "inside sources" info and even a good bit of info we have heard as being directly from JS over the last few seasons has turned out to be complete hogwash and I'm guessing this is too. The Russell Wilson in all the pictures and videos posted leading the Hawaii doesn't appear to be a guy the francise would allow to "walk" nor does he appear like a disgruntled man threatening to do so. Nothing but professional. He is building team cohesion and preparing for next season.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
hawknation2015":17g2giba said:
Sprfunk":17g2giba said:
The baseball agent was with Wilson on his first stint with the MLB and convinced Wilson to go back to college football. This move was a really decent thing for the agent to do because he basically knowingly pushed a client away from himself for the good of Wilson.
I think Wilson respects that move very much, and has a great relationship with him. I don't believe the agent wants to transition into football in the future. The guy is very much a baseball agent, and has a great thing going for him.

It's an opportunity for a massive payday (3% of $100 million+) from a client he has been grooming since college. Some would consider taking on such a massive contract as his first NFL deal to be a form of agent malpractice. Hopefully, the Seahawks give him a sufficient education.

Yea? Who? Who would consider it "agent malpractice"? You literally have no idea how these things work. And to suggest otherwise with asinine statements like that is absurd. There's not a single person here posting on this stuff that has any idea how negotiations of this matter works and all the speculating and hand wringing is just laughable.

KPA

Reaction score
I know this is all gamesmanship for Wilson and the Seahawks, but it's interesting that the Hawk's don't really have a solid backup... would the Hawks take a QB in the second round? Then they might be able to let Wilson walk at the end of the year and have another young QB to pay peanuts for another year.

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
Oh he is definitely gone next season. We are strictly plug and play here. He's a dime a dozen quarter back.

Tical21

Reaction score
There's no way he's not a Hawk, and there's no way the Hawks get out of this on the cheap. The only question at this point is which players are going to have to be cut to make the room.

OP
OP
Landhawk1

Landhawk1

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ilson-says-rangers-want-him-to-play-baseball/

RW said the Rangers want him to play baseball. Most of the time during these contract talks it is chalked up to posturing but Russell is a "different" cat. I don't know whether he really believes that he can play major league baseball or not. None of us are sure what his big picture plan is for his future but I trust JS to help work out the details...

massari

Reaction score
Could be another Michael Jordan situation.....what do y'all think about that?

Starting QB Tavaris Jackson?

Largent80

Reaction score
:lol: ...My mailman said to me...Are the Hawks letting Wilson go?......I said, dude, have you seen the way the media creates something from nothing?

He said, yeah your'e right.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd be pretty disappointed with JS if he didn't get a deal done this league year. In the long term, it's so much better for the Hawks cap if Wilson signs in 2015 as opposed to 2016. If anything, Wilson will have even more leverage in 2016 or 2017. And then you have the cheap year in 2015 that the team can use to help lessen the long term cap hit. It's not rocket science. JS has to be smart enough to know this.

I'd also be disappointed with JS if he planned his offseason financially based around the idea that Wilson would take less than $22 million AYP to sign.

And if JS thinks nobody is going to go after Wilson with a franchise tag on him, he could be in for a rude awakening.

But, I just think JS would have to be incredibly stupid to think any of those things, and JS is way too smart for that. All the media members speculating on worst case scenarios are being a bit insulting to JS's intelligence. As if he'd just let Wilson walk. Really now?

I think Wilson will probably get $22-25 million AYP on his deal with a good amount of guaranteed money, probably sometime from May to August. Lots of stupid people will cry about Wilson being overpaid and how the Seahawks won't be able to dominate anymore. Meanwhile in the real world, the Seahawks will have saved money in the long term and JS will have made an important victory.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":1wrr0m3t said:
I'd be pretty disappointed with JS if he didn't get a deal done this league year. In the long term, it's so much better for the Hawks cap if Wilson signs in 2015 as opposed to 2016. If anything, Wilson will have even more leverage in 2016 or 2017. And then you have the cheap year in 2015 that the team can use to help lessen the long term cap hit. It's not rocket science. JS has to be smart enough to know this.

I'd also be disappointed with JS if he planned his offseason financially based around the idea that Wilson would take less than $22 million AYP to sign.

And if JS thinks nobody is going to go after Wilson with a franchise tag on him, he could be in for a rude awakening.

But, I just think JS would have to be incredibly stupid to think any of those things, and JS is way too smart for that. All the media members speculating on worst case scenarios are being a bit insulting to JS's intelligence. As if he'd just let Wilson walk. Really now?

I think Wilson will probably get $22-25 million AYP on his deal with a good amount of guaranteed money, probably sometime from May to August. Lots of stupid people will cry about Wilson being overpaid and how the Seahawks won't be able to dominate anymore. Meanwhile in the real world, the Seahawks will have saved money in the long term and JS will have made an important victory.
I think Kip nailed it! :th2thumbs:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1f01b4gb said:
kearly":1f01b4gb said:

All good except I would not count on the tag even being used. If Wilson goes into this year with no new deal, he can and probably will not show up to camp until the tag is taken off the table. SO the tag thing will not be an issue. IF it gets to that point.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Anthony!":1sh7g5ax said:
Sports Hernia":1sh7g5ax said:
kearly":1sh7g5ax said:

All good except I would not count on the tag even being used. If Wilson goes into this year with no new deal, he can and probably will not show up to camp until the tag is taken off the table. SO the tag thing will not be an issue. IF it gets to that point.

I don't think he's the type that would miss camp because of getting tag. He's been playing for the last 3 years cheaper than most backup QB and still comes in to work. His work ethic even though if he feels some type of way, he wouldn't do that to the team. If anything he would come to camp and at least finish off the year strong, and if he feels like they aren't going to make him a deal close to what he wants then he could potentially go to another team.

Anthony!

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3kah55i6 said:
Anthony!":3kah55i6 said:
Sports Hernia":3kah55i6 said:
kearly":3kah55i6 said:

I don't think he's the type that would miss camp because of getting tag. He's been playing for the last 3 years cheaper than most backup QB and still comes in to work. His work ethic even though if he feels some type of way, he wouldn't do that to the team. If anything he would come to camp and at least finish off the year strong, and if he feels like they aren't going to make him a deal close to what he wants then he could potentially go to another team.

Not if they tag him he cant, that is why this is a big deal, and Wilsons only recourse to the tag is to not come in until they say they will not use it. The problem is like you everyone to include JS are counting on him being a nice guy, but at some point he does and will need to take care of himself.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm saying he would look for another team after this season, not after camp if he gets tagged, as i said after he finish strong for the year (doesn't matter if we made the superbowl again or not), but there will definitely be some interest if he keeps up with his stats. The problem will be though if he gets tagged that if a QB starving team with a huge cap that needs a QB I could see we lose Wilson if the FO don't make the moves to secure him to a long term deal, which I think they will eventually extend soon. I think that maybe they are waiting until the draft is over, and then see where the numbers aligned with the players they have and the draftees and see if everything coincide with their plans.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
As Anthony said, I don't think it will come to the option of using the franchise tag. But even if they did do that for 2016, the tag for a QB is likely $20-plus million, so it's not exactly an insult.
But I think we're all getting a bit too excited here on April 18. The front office is likely pouring its efforts into the draft right now and negotiating with Wilson will likely happen in June or July. Maybe even right before camp. But I would bet the farm ... or even the mortgage on my home ... that the Hawks and Wilson will come to some mutually agreeable deal. 8)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1m5lb2b8 said:
I'm saying he would look for another team after this season, not after camp if he gets tagged, as i said after he finish strong for the year (doesn't matter if we made the superbowl again or not), but there will definitely be some interest if he keeps up with his stats. The problem will be though if he gets tagged that if a QB starving team with a huge cap that needs a QB I could see we lose Wilson if the FO don't make the moves to secure him to a long term deal, which I think they will eventually extend soon. I think that maybe they are waiting until the draft is over, and then see where the numbers aligned with the players they have and the draftees and see if everything coincide with their plans.
You do know they could tag him with the version that requires two first round picks? Or that it's perfectly acceptable to use the tag and still be in negotiations? It's not that uncommon.

hawkfan68

Reaction score