Would Hawks Let Wilson Walk?

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawkfan68":29t1aw6q said:
Applying the franchise tag to RW might make some sense...The franchise tag for QBs in 2015 was $18.71M. If he is seeking a contract that pays him $20-25M per year, the franchise tag may be cheaper, they still need to sign Wagner and possibly Okung in 2016 offseason.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/16/7989009/nfl-franchise-tag-2015-values-ndamukong-suh-dez-bryant

As Mizzou said applying the FT doesn't mean they can't negotiate a longer term contract with RW.

You again presume that Wilson will just accept the possibility of being tagged. Which presumes Wilson does not hold out till they take it off the table and you then presume that if they do tag him that it will not pretty much burn the bridge to ever getting a deal done. A lot of assumption and a huge gamble that in all likely hood will back fire.

not to mention what makes you think Wagner will not want a max contract, and or Okung. They made Et, Sherman and Kam the highest or amongst the higher at their positions, Wagner will want the same. They allowed Lynch to hold them for ransom 2 years in a row. But they want Wilson to take a below market value contract? Yeah way to show you franchise QB how much you value him. Id this does happen Wilson will not ever sign here and neither will any other top QB or offensive player on less they are an RB. Because if this happens they will show on offense the only player they care about is the RB. Remind me how many SB did we get to with Lynch and no Wilson? Answer 0. Its a dangerous game if all this is true. I am just hoping it is not. We will see.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Anthony!":naijxm1o said:
hawkfan68":naijxm1o said:
Applying the franchise tag to RW might make some sense...The franchise tag for QBs in 2015 was $18.71M. If he is seeking a contract that pays him $20-25M per year, the franchise tag may be cheaper, they still need to sign Wagner and possibly Okung in 2016 offseason.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/16/7989009/nfl-franchise-tag-2015-values-ndamukong-suh-dez-bryant

As Mizzou said applying the FT doesn't mean they can't negotiate a longer term contract with RW.

You again presume that Wilson will just accept the possibility of being tagged. Which presumes Wilson does not hold out till they take it off the table and you then presume that if they do tag him that it will not pretty much burn the bridge to ever getting a deal done. A lot of assumption and a huge gamble that in all likely hood will back fire.

not to mention what makes you think Wagner will not want a max contract, and or Okung. They made Et, Sherman and Kam the highest or amongst the higher at their positions, Wagner will want the same. They allowed Lynch to hold them for ransom 2 years in a row. But they want Wilson to take a below market value contract? Yeah way to show you franchise QB how much you value him. Id this does happen Wilson will not ever sign here and neither will any other top QB or offensive player on less they are an RB. Because if this happens they will show on offense the only player they care about is the RB. Remind me how many SB did we get to with Lynch and no Wilson? Answer 0. Its a dangerous game if all this is true. I am just hoping it is not. We will see.

Quit trying to make everyone who brings up an option as an anti-Russell Wilson fan. It's getting old.
I'm a RW fan....do I want them to come to a long term agreement? yes I do. But FT is an option. I'm not presuming anything. NFL is a business. A team will do what's best in its interest not necessarily what is in the best interest of a player. Michael Bennett signed a long term deal last year and now is unhappy with it. What's to say that Wilson doesn't do the same? If negotiations are not progressing as the team would like, the FT option is there for them. Seahawks did it several times with Walter Jones. Eventually they were able to agree on a long term contract.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":2kzooa68 said:
This is approaching squirrel territory.
Personally I'm thinking it already has. Seriously whoever stole Anthony's! winter stash of nuts needs to return them. I won't even chastise the guilty. Just do it already.

Is the draft here yet?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2y5ywkey said:
theincrediblesok":2y5ywkey said:
I'm saying he would look for another team after this season, not after camp if he gets tagged, as i said after he finish strong for the year (doesn't matter if we made the superbowl again or not), but there will definitely be some interest if he keeps up with his stats. The problem will be though if he gets tagged that if a QB starving team with a huge cap that needs a QB I could see we lose Wilson if the FO don't make the moves to secure him to a long term deal, which I think they will eventually extend soon. I think that maybe they are waiting until the draft is over, and then see where the numbers aligned with the players they have and the draftees and see if everything coincide with their plans.
You do know they could tag him with the version that requires two first round picks? Or that it's perfectly acceptable to use the tag and still be in negotiations? It's not that uncommon.

You know, I did not know that, I'm still learning about the business part of things, but thank you for that info. I also blunder on my statement as I for whatever reason keep thinking this is his contract year. Like everyone else mention it's in 2016 that they can franchise him if they decide to go that route.

I'm positive that things will just work out.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2zyl3fv7 said:
Anthony!":2zyl3fv7 said:
hawkfan68":2zyl3fv7 said:

Quit trying to make everyone who brings up an option as an anti-Russell Wilson fan. It's getting old.
I'm a RW fan....do I want them to come to a long term agreement? yes I do. But FT is an option. I'm not presuming anything. NFL is a business. A team will do what's best in its interest not necessarily what is in the best interest of a player. Michael Bennett signed a long term deal last year and now is unhappy with it. What's to say that Wilson doesn't do the same? If negotiations are not progressing as the team would like, the FT option is there for them. Seahawks did it several times with Walter Jones. Eventually they were able to agree on a long term contract.

Dude any anti Wilson things I bring up is pointed towards one person and if you read the thread right you would know that. There is little doubt about it. Oh and held held out every year they did it, you can do that as a tackle and still perform well, you cannot as a QB. Also again the Tag will not be an option Wilson would be a fool to come to camp without a deal and that still being on the table.

Chawker

Reaction score
Would Seattle let Wilson walk?

Not this year! They'll tag him first. But, this may trigger a change in the direction the team takes moving forward, and altar plans post 2016.

Russ needs to look at this from the other side of the window, and ask myself these questions.

1. Can he as successful with another team? Maybe one that doesn't have a good running game.
2. Can he put up consecutive 300 plus yard games?
3. Find a team (with a coach) that understands his abilities and strengths for him to succeed.
Can we let RW walk, the answer is "YES" we can. Can we afford to over pay for one player, NO
Offer him a fair deal and if he doesn't sign it, then its on him.

Some day Russell Wilson will stop being a Seahawk, its a fact! get use to it.

The mighty Seahawks will live on.

Just pondering what kind of composition the NFL would award us for the loss. Knowing are luck it would be a fourth rounder. cheers

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RW isn't going anywhere. Not mad or upset but, a whole lot of "silly talk" in this thread IMHO.

drdiags

Reaction score
The timelines being spoken about Wilson in this thread confuses me, so let me mention what I think I know and or read in this thread:

1 - Wilson's contract expires at the end of this NFL calendar year, sometime in Feb 2016.
2 - At that time, if he hasn't signed an extension or negotiated a new contract prior to the declaration of the ERFA/FT period , the team can opt to tag him.
3 - If he doesn't sign an extension prior to the opening of training camp this year (July 2015), some feel he may pull a Marshawn and refuse to report unless the Seahawks agree to not use the FT after the season is over.

It got confusing when people were talking about him getting tagged this year.

So the CW thinks he most likely signs an extension after the draft similar to how ET and Sherm signed last year. Speculative thinking is that the costs are critical enough that the Seahawks are negotiating through the media and that Wilson and his agent may be willing to go hard-ball starting this summer.

Got it.

My thinking is that the team and Wilson will come to an agreement this summer.. And if they don't he is getting tagged if he doesn't sign a new contract prior to the beginning of the FA period. I do not see him sitting out TC if the team and he cannot come to an agreement prior.

AVL

Reaction score
Tagging a quarterback is a bad idea. They can sign late without penalty. They can work on their swing.

Hell, why not try to enjoy this year?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":cg2lhbeh said:
MizzouHawkGal":cg2lhbeh said:
theincrediblesok":cg2lhbeh said:
I'm saying he would look for another team after this season, not after camp if he gets tagged, as i said after he finish strong for the year (doesn't matter if we made the superbowl again or not), but there will definitely be some interest if he keeps up with his stats. The problem will be though if he gets tagged that if a QB starving team with a huge cap that needs a QB I could see we lose Wilson if the FO don't make the moves to secure him to a long term deal, which I think they will eventually extend soon. I think that maybe they are waiting until the draft is over, and then see where the numbers aligned with the players they have and the draftees and see if everything coincide with their plans.
You do know they could tag him with the version that requires two first round picks? Or that it's perfectly acceptable to use the tag and still be in negotiations? It's not that uncommon.

You know, I did not know that, I'm still learning about the business part of things, but thank you for that info. I also blunder on my statement as I for whatever reason keep thinking this is his contract year. Like everyone else mention it's in 2016 that they can franchise him if they decide to go that route.

I'm positive that things will just work out.
It's cool. :)

Anthony!

Reaction score
Chawker":hahjtwii said:
Would Seattle let Wilson walk?

Not this year! They'll tag him first. But, this may trigger a change in the direction the team takes moving forward, and altar plans post 2016.

Russ needs to look at this from the other side of the window, and ask myself these questions.

1. Can he as successful with another team? Maybe one that doesn't have a good running game.
2. Can he put up consecutive 300 plus yard games?
3. Find a team (with a coach) that understands his abilities and strengths for him to succeed.
Can we let RW walk, the answer is "YES" we can. Can we afford to over pay for one player, NO
Offer him a fair deal and if he doesn't sign it, then its on him.

Some day Russell Wilson will stop being a Seahawk, its a fact! get use to it.

The mighty Seahawks will live on.

Just pondering what kind of composition the NFL would award us for the loss. Knowing are luck it would be a fourth rounder. cheers

And we need to ask our selves with Lynch thinking on retiring every year, with the lack of oline and Wr can we keep being SB contenders without him? Answer NO we cannot. FYI they will not tag him it will be off the table or he will hold out. If they offer him a fair deal , based on what he has done, then there will be no problem. However if they think like you that he is replaceable and will not miss a beat without him then he will be gone. There is a difference between living on and being SB contenders every year. OF course the Hawk swill liv eon, but they will have lost their window, until they find a new franchise QB and given the LOB are only signed for 4 years I dare say the window for this group will be gone.

Anthony!

Reaction score
drdiags":33p1sk3h said:
The timelines being spoken about Wilson in this thread confuses me, so let me mention what I think I know and or read in this thread:

1 - Wilson's contract expires at the end of this NFL calendar year, sometime in Feb 2016.
2 - At that time, if he hasn't signed an extension or negotiated a new contract prior to the declaration of the ERFA/FT period , the team can opt to tag him.
3 - If he doesn't sign an extension prior to the opening of training camp this year (July 2015), some feel he may pull a Marshawn and refuse to report unless the Seahawks agree to not use the FT after the season is over.

It got confusing when people were talking about him getting tagged this year.

So the CW thinks he most likely signs an extension after the draft similar to how ET and Sherm signed last year. Speculative thinking is that the costs are critical enough that the Seahawks are negotiating through the media and that Wilson and his agent may be willing to go hard-ball starting this summer.

Got it.

My thinking is that the team and Wilson will come to an agreement this summer.. And if they don't he is getting tagged if he doesn't sign a new contract prior to the beginning of the FA period. I do not see him sitting out TC if the team and he cannot come to an agreement prior.

Of course you cannot see it, but it would be his only recourse, other wise he will get tagged. IT is his only chip at that point and if it comes to that there will enough bad blood for him to hold out. Why come into camp and take a chance getting hurt. I can easily see it. It would not be the first time a player held out till the tag was taken off or he was traded with a new deal in place and will not be the last.

Tical21

Reaction score
Just about every player that gets tagged holds out until the games start. It is like their get-out-of-camp-free card. Why is that any different in this case? How many years in a row did Walter hold out?

Everybody knows they'll pay him. Way more than he's worth, and it is going to have a huge impact on the rest of the roster over the next several years, but they'll pay him. I don't think they have the money left to do it this year barring some pretty big cuts, but they'll pay him at some point. Or they'll bring in another running quarterback for 1/10th the cost.

Anthony!

Reaction score
AVL":39aikltp said:
Tagging a quarterback is a bad idea. They can sign late without penalty. They can work on their swing.

Hell, why not try to enjoy this year?

They can hold out I agree its a bad idea. Hopefully it will not come to that.

seahawks08

Reaction score
We will keep Russell, we will trade ET in 2 years, this is my thinking, it all depends on how we draft this year. To keep the team young and winning, you still need Russell. I think the mental acumen and to deliver in clutch is something you can't find in this league. I know PC never values QB too much and builds a system around a QB, where any QB would look good and win games. But if we need to sell the farm to sign him, we would not do that. 20 mil would be the best value in my opinion. Anything more would make us FT him and see if we can find a way to keep him. Russell in a colts system would make him less successful in the long run, so I am sure he also knows that. It will work out and it will be a win win for everyone.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Anthony!":3pe95qbj said:
And we need to ask our selves with Lynch thinking on retiring every year, with the lack of oline and Wr can we keep being SB contenders without him? Answer NO we cannot. FYI they will not tag him it will be off the table or he will hold out. If they offer him a fair deal , based on what he has done, then there will be no problem. However if they think like you that he is replaceable and will not miss a beat without him then he will be gone. There is a difference between living on and being SB contenders every year. OF course the Hawk swill liv eon, but they will have lost their window, until they find a new franchise QB and given the LOB are only signed for 4 years I dare say the window for this group will be gone.

Hey Anthony, I think your monkey got lose and logged onto .Net. Only way I can explain why someone would say that Wilson will hold out if tagged. I mean. if tagged, he'll be scheduled to make 20 mil plus. And he won't show up? Damn that monkey. Got me. :)

SC

Anthony!

Reaction score
seahawks08":hts1id5p said:
We will keep Russell, we will trade ET in 2 years, this is my thinking, it all depends on how we draft this year. To keep the team young and winning, you still need Russell. I think the mental acumen and to deliver in clutch is something you can't find in this league. I know PC never values QB too much and builds a system around a QB, where any QB would look good and win games. But if we need to sell the farm to sign him, we would not do that. 20 mil would be the best value in my opinion. Anything more would make us FT him and see if we can find a way to keep him. Russell in a colts system would make him less successful in the long run, so I am sure he also knows that. It will work out and it will be a win win for everyone.

I agree with some of what you say, but disagree with the Colts part. Wilson in that system, with those wrs, and oline and that easy defensive schedule he would dominate.

Anthony!

Reaction score
StoneCold":1uybm3n5 said:
Anthony!":1uybm3n5 said:

Hey Anthony, I think your monkey got lose and logged onto .Net. Only way I can explain why someone would say that Wilson will hold out if tagged. I mean. if tagged, he'll be scheduled to make 20 mil plus. And he won't show up? Damn that monkey. Got me. :)

SC

correct why show up and take a chance getting hurt, and then getting nothing and if it is career ending then what. 20 mil now is not more than 20 mil a year for say 5 years.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":1ffdtsyo said:
StoneCold":1ffdtsyo said:
Anthony!":1ffdtsyo said:

SC

correct why show up and take a chance getting hurt, and then getting nothing and if it is career ending then what. 20 mil now is not more than 20 mil a year for say 5 years.

Well, that is what he and his agent will be doing now if they do not agree to a long term deal before this season. Except, instead of the $20+ million he would get under the franchise tag, he will get less than $1.7 million for this season.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Anthony!":17i4nsrz said:
StoneCold":17i4nsrz said:
Anthony!":17i4nsrz said:

SC

Is the franchise salary guaranteed even if the player gets injured during that year? If so, I don't see a great deal of difference or risk.

SC