Would the Hawks been better off if.

theseahawkguy

Reaction score
They lost the first game? In recent memory the season of 2005 where the Hawks would have won the super bowl if it were not for the striped shirts, they lost the first game on the road to Jacksonville. Then last year losing at Arizona the first game of the year translated to an 11-5 season. Not sure how the 1984 Seattle Seahawks did on their first game but they did finish 12-4.

Or perhaps we can finally win the first four games and that proves to be the difference maker in winning it all?

Hoping this is the year we do it, go hawks!

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Anyone that thinks losing is EVER the answer needs to get their head on straight. Leave no doubt, 24/7.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I have had this same thought, but ultimately I don't think it matters all that much.

In 2005, we lost in very similar conditions to this past Sunday: Very hot, humid, and the offense started out very slow.

Last year in Arizona, we were in position to win but lost because of a conservative offense.

In both of those years, it wasn't exactly a "wake-up call" or anything like that. Last year the offense still played very conservative for a few more weeks. It didn't change anything. In 2005, it was just bad conditions that slowed the team down. They were still the same team.

There were a few years under Holmgren where we started out 2-0 or 3-0 and went just as far in the playoffs as we did last year.

I just don't think a win or loss in week 1 makes that much of a difference.

I'm just glad that the worst we could be after Sunday is 1-1. That's the worst case scenario for our record, and I can live with that.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Imagine how great it would have been if we lost last week AND lost to the Niners AND even the Jags, but people made fun of us then we got all pissed off and won ALL the rest of our games AND the Super Bowl!!!

I think that might have been the best thing.

ensett

Reaction score
If we need to lose to wake up, then we aren't going anywhere this year anywhere.

lukerguy

Reaction score
No, but I feel like it's almost better for SF to have won their game vs GB. They couldn't start 0-2, so this gives them some compromise when they go 1-1

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
I guess you could say last week was best case scenario in a way if you believe we needed a wake up call and some struggles against a tough team to get adjusted better while still pulling out a win on the road.

But I am not really a big believer in all that. I really don't think this team needs a wake up call and we would identify/make adjustments regardless of type of win (close or blowout) or loss.

mikeak

Reaction score
We lost the first game last year and it had a huge impact on the season........

So no

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
oh god.... what a defeatist attitude....

we finally win our first road game of the season and people are upset we won...?

Atradees

Reaction score
i think that home feild advantage for the Hawks is pretty huge.

The win at Carolina guarantees us a minimum nine win season.

Nine win usually gets a wild card spot.

We will win all the home games.

From those statements I guess you could infer that I guarantee a win versus the Niners.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
SeahawksRawk":164c6hzk said:
Barthawk":164c6hzk said:
I think we should just lose the rest of the games and draft Clowney since our pass rush sucks.

Took the words right out of my mouth!! :mrgreen:

If things fall right, we still have a chance!!

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Atradees":3c7oufzx said:

:13:

The difference to me between the Hawks having HFA and having to play a couple road playoff games is beyond huge.

If you were to tell me that the Hawks will have HFA come playoff time, I'd be currently looking into booking plane tickets to NY. Anything less and it's the exact same as last year with me feeling every playoff game is a toss up.

Go Hawks.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
theseahawkguy":ogzhekj5 said:
Would the Hawks been better off if they lost the first game?

The NFL, like many sports leagues, uses a somewhat abstract organizational structure, in which teams are split into groups (called "conferences"), and then those groups are subdivided into smaller groups (called "divisions"). If a team makes the playoffs or not is based on 1) winning the most games in their division, and 2) if they do not win the most games in their division, winning the most games among teams in their conference who did not win the most games in their division.

Because of this extraordinarily high level of emphasis placed on the number of games a team has won in allocating playoff spots, teams are better off winning games than losing them, and should really go out of their way to try to win games whenever possible.

It can admittedly seem complicated at first, but over time the way the system is set up begins to feel more intuitive.

Hope this helps. :)

bestfightstory

Reaction score
SeaTown81":15qo18xh said:
Atradees":15qo18xh said:

:13:

The difference to me between the Hawks having HFA and having to play a couple road playoff games is beyond huge.

If you were to tell me that the Hawks will have HFA come playoff time, I'd be currently looking into booking plane tickets to NY. Anything less and it's the exact same as last year with me feeling every playoff game is a toss up.

Go Hawks.

THIS CANNOT BE OVERSTATED.

Nobody can come into Seahawks Stadium, in the postseason, and feel confident. It is a slaughterhouse.

We deserve to have that experience again.

There is no greater rush in sports, IMO. It's downright transcendental.

I want the number one seed. Which is why I go berserk after every single regular season loss. They ALL matter.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1o9myuoa said:
theseahawkguy":1o9myuoa said:
Would the Hawks been better off if they lost the first game?

The NFL, like many sports leagues, uses a somewhat abstract organizational structure, in which teams are split into groups (called "conferences"), and then those groups are subdivided into smaller groups (called "divisions"). If a team makes the playoffs or not is based on 1) winning the most games in their division, and 2) if they do not win the most games in their division, winning the most games among teams in their conference who did not win the most games in their division.

Because of this extraordinarily high level of emphasis placed on the number of games a team has won in allocating playoff spots, teams are better off winning games than losing them, and should really go out of their way to try to win games whenever possible.

It can admittedly seem complicated at first, but over time the way the system is set up begins to feel more intuitive.

Hope this helps. :)

That was too good for words. Where did you come from? Stick around, please.