Would you be a fan of the Seahawks if they ever moved?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Absolutely, but it probably wouldn't last after the eventual replacement of most/all of the players and staff members who were with the team in Seattle. The move might kill my motivation to root for the franchise for the sake of rooting for the franchise, but I wouldn't lose interest in rooting for the people who makeup the team itself because of a decision made beyond their control. After seeing how people changed their tune in regard to Westbrook and Durant because of the move to OKC, it just seemed so petty. I could live to be 150 and I still wouldn't have enough time to justify behaving another minute like that.

Life is short, we're all eventually going to die, and at the very least, I'd still be a fan of Schneider, Carroll, LOB, RW, Beast, and the rest of the gang because a change of location won't make them any less awesome at what they do. Thank you for asking such a thought-provoking question, getnasty.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
'Move' and 'Seahawks' are 2 words I never want to hear again. In answer to the question, NO, wouldn't be a fan of the LA Seahawks, just as I don't support OKC and their ridiculous claims to the Sonics' previous accomplishments.

OP
OP
G

getnasty

Reaction score
Could you imagine if the Sonics were still here? We'd have Marshawn, Russell, Sherman, ET, Kam, Graham, Seager, Cano, Hernandez, Westbrook and Durant all in one city.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
I am die a hard Ram fan and I'd be the first to tell you I would in no way root for the Rams to win if they left STL. Leaving is an act of betrayal to a fan base. I would actually root for the Niners, Cards, and SEA just to see those LA sunshine fans abondon the team twice (Their tendencies are well documented.)

I can't see myself being a die hard of any other team, though. STL Raiders is a garbage idea, hell no. Only an expansion team with no other city's stink on it would do. Freak LA!!! (The bitterness between LA and STL right now is very real if u can't tell. SEA is like a friend compared to the disliking of LA. You guys were in the same boat at one time, I know. The NFL put it's foot down and a soccer team really helped. STL is also hoping for an MLS team.)

I will say our owner hasn't talked about moving at all, unlike SD and OAK. I'm hoping Stan truly is trying to game both markets and make out like a bandit.

So that's just no .02

irocdave

Reaction score
This question actually is a great question for "fans" in general. I think the "fan" label means different things to different people. This brings up what "fan" means to people that live in, or outside the PNW. When you really like your home team yet it is basically ignored by the main stream media because your considered to be a small market team the fans become more hardened and boisterous. At least they have in the PNW. Seattle fans of any sport are some of the best in the country. Listening to Al Michaels make excuses for the pitch calls against the M's in the wild card round against the Yankees of the 95 playoffs (Edgar came through and made him eat his words), watching the screwing the Sonics took against the Suns by NBA refs to end their playoffs run, Jordan Rules being applied a couple years later to stop another Sonics title run, numerous obvious hose jobs by NFL referees to give games to larger market teams (ultimate slap in the face was SB40...) and you get why home grown Seattle fans are, well, fans with attitudes. Toss in the Huskies under Don James and the BS that they are still struggling to overcome.

We love our teams and are passive aggressive about them. Just like they are a family member. You can talk smack, get in a fight, degrade them, but if your not from here and do it or a part of the family your going to get it handed to you as we protect our own.

The Hawks do not have a national following ( outside the region) large enough to support them. They do have a huge fan base (Portland, all of WA, Idaho, Alaska, parts of western Canada, Wyoming etc.

irocdave

Reaction score
That Super Sonics playoff game is still stuck in my craw. The Sonics were the better team but the NBA was pushing for Barkley versus Jordan. The Suns had 63 free throw attempts in game seven. It was retarded. Anyone who watched that game saw that there was zero chance the referees were going to let the much better Sonic team win. 63 free throws for the Suns... 40 more than their average. The Sonics lost by 13 points. The screw job was more blatant than what happened to the Hawks in SB40. Local fans don't forget that kind of BS by professional sport leagues and then to have your team sold / railroaded out of town out by the same commissioner, screw the NBA. Dead to me. Sucks because my kids love basketball and are really tall. I'm steering them towards football. Maybe I'm just dumb but leagues letting or helping teams leave is bad for business. To allow a mental midget like Stearn to assist a team move out of town will take decades for the league to recover. I wouldn't have been happy with the Kings coming to town but the bar was set by that POS Stearn and the attempt to buy and move them was up front and honest was noble. That in my mind was much more honest than what happened to the Sonics. I truly hope David Stearn burns in hell and his name is drug through the mud for the next couple generations, even after he dies. Starbucks owner Howard Schultz should be ashamed of himself also. Haven't bought a single Starbucks item since he assisted the move of the Sonics either. That's the only thing a "fan" can do when they are not happy with the results of these mental midgets that think they are much smarter than everyone else. They probably are, at least for the short term, but if you want to impact these decisions then you cut the money off. No TV watching of the product and no direct sales. That's how you show disapproval.

That's my take as a Seattle fan. Fortunately Paul Allen swooped in and bought the Hawks, he has a loyalty to the PNW that will survive his passing of ownership. It would be really awesome if the Nordstrom's could own the team again when Allen is ready to sell. PA doesn't have children, the Nordstrom's do.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I became a Seahawks fan about 45 seconds before their first ever regular season game, I was actually living in Gresham, OR at the time when my mom pointed out the news to me "There is that new team in Seattle". The words sparked my interest immediately, but it was the colors that told me I was a Seahawks fan forever.

I moved here in 79, but not totally until 85 and when the talk of moving the team came about, I was hurting but I was going to continue to follow them, no way could I stop being a fan.

The Sonics were never really a love of mine, I supported them, but had no hard connection, ever.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
It would suck, and be weird..... but I would still be a Seahawks fan.

I live in AZ and have never been to Washington by the way. Fan since 1980.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":14m4a5ik said:
Tical21":14m4a5ik said:
No. They decided my Fandom wasn't important to them when they moved. I would then become a bigger niners fan than Vegas fan
Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face. :)

I would not follow the Seahawks outside of WA state, but I definitely would not root for the Niners at all, in any way.
This. Since I'm out of state I would follow them but would not support them with money depending on the exact circumstances

But it's different then the Sonics or especially the Mariners (which I went to actual games) and have been a serious fan of the sport unlike basketball. .

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
This is Rob Lowe....and this is Rob Lowe who will never watch the seahawks ever again. Dont move the team and become the second Rob Lowe. :mrgreen:

LolaRox

Reaction score
I would be, but I don't live in Seattle and don't have any attachment to the city nor do I have any experience losing a team I loved like many of you do. If I did my opinion might be different.

However, I love the personality and everything about this team, from Pete/John down to all of the players. I love watching them play and would find it very hard not to cheer for them no matter the city.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Well, on the one hand I'd love to see Pete coaching this team in L.A., where he had so much success with USC.

On the other hand, the Seahawks totally belong in Seattle. I can't imagine the team anywhere else--nor do I think they ever SHOULD be elsewhere.

The only reason I could go along with the Rams returning to L.A. is because they were in this area longer than anywhere else, and they should never have gone to St. Louis to begin with.

Threedee

Reaction score
I was born in Seattle, and am still here, living and serving in the area. As I approach 29, I'm too much of a homeboy to ever be anything but a Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders fan. My only non-local team is Notre Dame. My fiance is from San Diego and lives in Queen Anne. I will likely wind-up living in one of those places later on in life, as she has a fondness for both. Whether its SoCal or the heart of the city - my loyalties aren't changing. She's not a passionate fan, so she can take Seahawks and Mariners as easily as Chargers and Padres. I've already got her rooting for the Irish, as she decided she likes their uniforms.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
JSeahawks":37u2iz7y said:
Yes, I would root for the Portland Seahawks. Make it happen Paul Allen!

Fortunately it's more likely we'll see the Seattle Trailblazers than the Portland Seahawks... ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2nb1pcs8 said:
JSeahawks":2nb1pcs8 said:

Fortunately it's more likely we'll see the Seattle Trailblazers than the Portland Seahawks... ;)

Correction we get the Sonics name back so not Trailblazers.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":3c1nyfpn said:
Trenchbroom":3c1nyfpn said:
JSeahawks":3c1nyfpn said:

Correction we get the Sonics name back so not Trailblazers.
Correct.

Boiler

Reaction score
Here are a bunch of random, loosely connected, thoughts that are somewhat responsive to your question. I've never lived in Seattle. I had a picture of Lonnie Shelton in my bedroom growing up. And a letterman-style Seahawks jacket with vinyl sleeves. I don't like the Thunder, or the NBA. I have a friend who grew up an Oilers fan, who is now a Titans fan, and who lives in West Seattle. I remember following a Seahawks Internet chatroom on the day that the busses were packed and on their way to LA. Could have been an early version of .NET. I did, for a moment, wonder whether I would be an LA Whatevers fan. I've lived in Denver most of my adult life. I defected from the Mariners to the Rockies. I don't like the Nuggets. Or the NBA. I almost went to the University of Washinington. But went to Purdue instead. I stuck by the Seahawks even when they were 2-14. I'm now a 10-year season ticket holder who lives in Colorado.

The short answer is just no.