You're doing it wrong: Carpenter/McQuistan

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
I would like to argue the following: Carpenter is a left tackle, and should be playing there now with Okung out. - This is not an argument about the perplexing nature of where/why he was drafted. - He should not have been drafted to play right tackle in the first place. When scouts tested him, he struggled maintaining his balance when stepping to the right as the right tackle does all game. Like being right-handed/left-handed, most people are more right/left foot dominant. Some more so than others. Carp is very right foot/leg dominant, and moves very well when pushing off his right leg. Cable thought he could teach him to move to his right, but he was wrong. So again, his natural position is left tackle. Here is a shortened scouting report from his combine:

NFL.com":2mr80z5t said:
At this stage, Carpenter grades out as a good pass blocker but just adequate in the running game. Carpenter is a highly-durable player who has been able to stay on the field during his career. Has the height and build you look for at the offensive tackle position. Does a good job in pass protection against the speed and bull rush. Possesses the athletic ability to get to the second level when run blocking.

As an aside, like Okung, Carpenter was very durable in college. Both have struggled to stay healthy in the pros unfortunately. :roll:

But I digress. In college, he was better in pass pro then run blocking. He played at a high level on a very dominant line at Alabama. I know many like to focus on his body fat % and claim he's not a good athlete as a result. That's a false assertion. Like MMA fighter Roy "Big Country" Nelson, he is inredibly athletic in spite of his body fat %. True, he has struggled to get into NFL playing shape because of his leg injuries, but he's improving his conditioning each week. Carpenter is a better athlete with better size to play left tackle than McQuistan. The complex switches and assignment reads that guards need to make are not Carpenter's forte, but McQuistan does well with his reads. McQuistan is a smart, serviceable lineman who is better with lineman to his right and left to cover for his lack of elite athleticism, allowing him to play to his strengths. .

Okung is entrenched as our Probowl left tackle when healthy. That leaves Carpenter without a natural position. I would encourage trading him at the end of the year if possible, to find a better long term solution at left guard, but for right now, with Okung on the mend, he serves us best by playing at his best and most natural position. On top of improving our line in the short term, it's plausible he would perform well enough to increase his trade value for an offseason move. On the floor vs. ceiling front, I don't believe he would perform any worse at left tackle than McQuistan is right now, and his upside is remarkably higher.

I would like to hear other reasoned thoughts either in support or disagreement by some of our other great football minds. :les:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great points Snakeeyes. I was thinking about that myself. Carp's size would make DE have to take a longer route which may give more time (vs having MCQ). Plus it moves back McQ to a position he was adequate at. At this point, it's worth a look, IMO. I think Carp may be better at LT than he is at LG. At least can't be any worse than McQuistan is there.

BamKam

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynvbg3QzpDM

Saban's reaction speaks volumes. Carpenter just seems lazy and that sort of comes out in his rather excessively chunky build. I don't think linemen need to look completely ripped but I also don't think they should look like complete blobs either. Coaches can only do so much but they can't follow them around 24/7 either making sure they don't stuff their faces with burgers and pizza.

I think we took a risk on him hoping his work ethic would improve to go with his gifted size but he just doesn't seem motivated. He has been one of PC/JS's busts of the few they have had, can't win them all. Luckily for him he is a bad player on a thin offensive line in terms of depth so he gets decent playing time.

OP
OP
Snakeeyes007

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3u8z0z38 said:
Carpenter is way too slow to contain edge rushers.

Based on what JG? We haven't seenhim on the left end since college that I can recall. Here are a couple of Kip's notes regarding quickness/speed and left tackle play/awareness from just after Carpenter was drafted:

Strengths:

» Above average side to side “shuttle” quickness
» Very experienced cut blocker
» Adequate to good quickness when dropping back and mirroring
» Incredibly consistent play to play and game to game
» Highly intelligent- never stands around- always finds a task- very well coached
» Always knew what to do against stunts and tricky blitzes
» Footwork isn’t spectacular, a bit choppy, but good overall
» Gave up very few sacks, pressures, and hits
» Powerful anchor, isn’t easily bull rushed
» Shows all the signs of an immediate NFL contributor
» Left tackle experience
» Can probably manage at left tackle in the NFL… could fit at every spot on the line except center
» Spotless injury record, 27 starts in 27 games

James Carpenter was a very good left tackle who didn’t stand out very much due to his playing on quite possibly the best line in college football.

My thoughts and scouting report for James Carpenter
May 3rd, 2011 | Written by Kip Earlywine

Again, I say he's a better match at left tackle than McQuistan is.

Jville

Reaction score
Its now late October, 2013.

That quoted post was also written before Carpenter 1st reported to work way out of shape.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":2fs55hjm said:
JGfromtheNW":2fs55hjm said:
Carpenter is way too slow to contain edge rushers.

Based on what JG? We haven't seenhim on the left end since college that I can recall. Here are a couple of Kip's notes regarding quickness/speed and left tackle play/awareness from just after Carpenter was drafted:

I'm pretty sure Kip pointed out in one of his random thoughts threads early in the season that Carpenter was noticeably slow (sorry if I am wrong Kip).

The guy hasn't had healthy legs beneath him for two years and I think that has affected his lateral quickness, not to mention he has never had good footwork. He looked lethargic at the beginning of the season, but I guess I haven't watched him much the last two weeks.

Is it worth a shot? Yeah, it probably is. I'm not buying that he is a better option than McQ, though. Carpenter's long-term role is going to be LG, so he might as well stay there for when Okung gets back.

12thMan1

Reaction score
At least we know which position group JS/PC will be addressing in next year's draft.

kearly

Reaction score
He's not the same athlete he was in college unfortunately, and I thought his athleticism was NFL fringe (for a left tackle) at Alabama. Even at left guard, he's been very beatable on pass rush moves that require athleticism to defend against. I'm also left handed and also played OT at two levels, and I do think it makes a very minor difference. But I don't think it can explain away how terrible he was at RT. Maybe handedness played a factor, but it was pretty clear from watching him that athleticism and conditioning was essentially 100% of the issue there.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":13rxgwr4 said:
Okung is entrenched as our Probowl left tackle when healthy. That leaves Carpenter without a natural position. I would encourage trading him at the end of the year if possible, to find a better long term solution at left guard, but for right now, with Okung on the mend, he serves us best by playing at his best and most natural position. On top of improving our line in the short term, it's plausible he would perform well enough to increase his trade value for an offseason move. On the floor vs. ceiling front, I don't believe he would perform any worse at left tackle than McQuistan is right now, and his upside is remarkably higher.
Part of Carpenter's appeal to us was his versatility. We drafted him to be our starting RT, but with an eye to being able to slide him over to LT if needed for the very reasons you provide. Unfortunately, he showed up in worse shape and conditioning than he had with Alabama and whatever natural athleticism he had couldn't compensate for it. You are gambling on a lot of areas with rookies and we missed on at least a couple with him; motivation and quickness. I don't see any reason to expect that to suddenly change here and a change of scenery would probably be his best shot.

Basis4day

Reaction score
It wouldn't shock anyone if Carp was discussed as a backup LT. They like versatile o-lineman and Carpenter was already a backup.
It just signals to me there is something they don't like about Carp as a LT or they would have approached the idea more publicly (Camp, Open-Practices for Media, Prea-season). Carp's injuries through a wrench in that.

Latest posts