Zach Miller had ankle surgery EDIT: CONFIRMED

Largent80

Reaction score
Having Bailey as a blocker is actually an upgrade, however Bailey the pass catcher not so much.

Golden Chance for Willson, who had better be working on blocking.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2exetsm9 said:
kidhawk":2exetsm9 said:
KitsapGuy":2exetsm9 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/516659037539012608[/tweet]

I would think it would be Bailey. I seem to remember him coming in as an extra blocker in the past.

Either way its a loss.. Miller had the ability to block and then leak out on a pass play.. utilizing a tackle eliminates that.

It's only two games. Injuries like this happen all the time, which requires you to see the silver lining.

Willson's role was kind of being diminished; now this will provide him a great opportunity to step up and compete for more playing time as the starter.

Gilliam was practicing as the sixth linemen in the jumbo package throughout the preseason but hasn't had the opportunity yet to see time on the active roster since the first game; this could be his opportunity to show his stuff for a couple more games.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2logxjv0 said:
dontbelikethat":2logxjv0 said:
seahawksfan28":2logxjv0 said:
I would be ok with Gonzalez, but does he want to come out of retirement?

If he reinstated, pretty sure he's still under contract with the Falcons.
That's correct, Gonzo isn't an option, even if he wanted to come back.....which he doesn't, and won't.

That's not correct...the Falcons released him in March.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/11/falcons-release-tony-gonzalez/

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle hasn't used TE's to pass block nearly as much this year, instead relying on a quicker passing game. And Seattle has barely thrown any passes to TEs at all.

The next two games are two of the more winnable games this season, I doubt this will have much impact.

King Dog

Reaction score
I thought RaShaun Allen looked really good in preseason. He's still on the practice squad if we need to go that route for an extra body.

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
Man hurts to hear, But I believe we will be ok. Thankfully happening now and not later in season, Going to need him for stretch run!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
kearly":38wxrsgf said:
Seattle hasn't used TE's to pass block nearly as much this year, instead relying on a quicker passing game. And Seattle has barely thrown any passes to TEs at all.

The next two games are two of the more winnable games this season, I doubt this will have much impact.
Kearly, I wish I had your confidence. Some of these upcoming games scream, "Trap!". Especially after seeing the Cowturds turnaround last night.

OP
OP
seahawksfan28

seahawksfan28

Reaction score
I agree that we should be OK with the next couple games. I just fear Russell getting destroyed by Washington's and Dallas' pass rush. Our o-line has looked terrible against even the most mediocre of pass rushes before.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":1x4154gg said:

The games I worry about are the two that follow our NFC East battles.. the Rams give us pure hell every time we play, and the Panthers are still a very formidable team

Zach Miller being out for those two games is a scary notion.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":b58l32s5 said:
seahawksfan28":b58l32s5 said:
I would be ok with Gonzalez, but does he want to come out of retirement?

Just ok? I'd be almost ecstatic. Still, I don't see him coming out of retirement to play in an offense with low TE production like ours. Would be a great redzone threat though.

Gonzalez would get open more often than Miller would, so he would end up commanding more targets. The problem is, Gonzalez was never considered a very good in line blocker, which is exactly where we're going to miss Miller.

Willson stepped up last year when Miller went down. What I'm hoping is that he steps in and improves yet again. He has good hands and a lot more speed than Miller, but doesn't block nearly as well. I'm just hoping that Willson's inability to beat out Miller for more playing time is more telling to how elite MIller is at the things he does well, and not an indictment of Willson not getting any better.

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":lubjd1by said:
HawkWow":lubjd1by said:
Damn that sux. Shoulda' drafted ASJ.

Another pass catching TE.

ASJ 8s one of the better blocking TES to come out the last few seasons.

Similarly Willson has developed quite a bit as a blcoker.

I'm not concern3d.

McGruff

Reaction score
Gonzo was an excellent blocker.

People seem to be under the impression that you can't be good at both. The best are.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkWow":2hoqr4ob said:
Damn that sux. Shoulda' drafted ASJ.

Err 4 receptions and is now hurt.......................again. No thanks.

If it truly is only 2-4 weeks, this will be OK. Longer? Going to be a problem.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
McGruff":1pjyq244 said:
Gonzo was an excellent blocker.

People seem to be under the impression that you can't be good at both. The best are.

Yes, Gonzalez was a Top 5 blocker . . . but it seems pretty clear he has no interest in tagging on late just to put a Super Bowl on his resume.

I don't think they add anyone if Miller misses just two games. They would probably be content to add RaShaun Allen from the PS if they needed another body.

minormillikin

Reaction score
It has been announced that Earl Thomas will be filling in for Miller while he is out, in addition to his regular defensive duties.

:sarcasm_off:

OP
OP
seahawksfan28

seahawksfan28

Reaction score
minormillikin":xadny2vh said:
It has been announced that Earl Thomas will be filling in for Miller while he is out, in addition to his regular defensive duties.

:sarcasm_off:

Only until he whiffs on the first block and gives up a sack, then he will be replaced with Bryan Walters.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Not worried at all. Seahawks can survive 2 games without Miller. The Seahawks survived worst against better defenses than the ones coming up, last year, @Hou and @ Indy. Seahawks were without Miller, Okung, Giacomini, and Unger for those games. They still went 1-1, and really could have won or lost either games . Those games were also consecutive weeks of 10 am starts where the next two are MNF and a home game.

I expect the O-Line to come out much stronger overall... 1) Because they're all healthy 2) Okung probably was able to catch up on his training/conditioning over the last two weeks and 3) Britt also had plenty of time to sit in the class-room to dissect his weaknesses thus far with Cable.

Also, Luke Willson is a big boy, now, 260-265, he stepped up when needed last year, and I think he'll do the same. He'll make some plays too with this opportunity especially in the next two games. Redskins and Cowboys don't have great middle defenses, Willson should have chances to blow the top off the seam in the next two weeks.

There... little bit of optimism.