2017 to be Pete Carroll's Get It Done or Move On Season?

nash72

Reaction score
Josea16":a0d0g11i said:
So simple and obvious. Please up your game troll.

With you calling me a troll, that must mean that you believe Carroll and his cronies are on the same level as the Patriots coaching staff. Now I know what I'm dealing with.

nash72

Reaction score
Josea16":1pjujl6z said:
.And Heckle shows up right after Jeckle. Don't either of you fools get tired of your bullshit? I am for one. If I didn't have a job I might actually care what both you jokers post ad nauseam. Interesting to see that both of you back off when someone, anyone (myself calls you exactly what you are and do). Both of you bore me, just be happy I don't give a shit about your ignorant opinions.

What the hell? You both hate the Seahawks and love the Patriots. They are awesome, unless you understand they sucked Cleveland Browns level until Tom Brady arrived. Just like us before Russell Wilson. And he still gets a 10-5-1 record and wins the division and wins a playoff game as usual while being injured seriously enough to not actually play.

If your so tired of it all then move on. Pretty simple. You don't give a shit but yet your constantly posting and being combative. We're in a thread about Carroll moving on and if its not all positive, the worlds going to end. Now Bevell Jr. sticks his nose in it and wants a mod to intervene because a few of us see negative aspects with the organization. Come on now, time to pull the big boy pants up.

I don't love the Patriots, I'm just jealous of their success and wish Seattle would improve. Oh my, I must not be a fan.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
brimsalabim":22v9bal3 said:
Part of the problem may be that Pete's system just isn't sustainable long term in the NFL. Some one already noted that his father Rs pep talk stuff has lost its affect on some of the older guys and when those dolts openly mock it then that also affects the younger guys. More importantly the "always compete" is impossible to sustain once you have to start paying guys and letting other guys walk. Once a guy gets that cap eating salary you have to make use of them as much as possible to mitigate what their salary is costing you not being able to fill other positions. Those guys we lose to the cap are usually the depth and with out them our full tilt practices take as much toll as games do. Guys get beat up.
No . It might be wise for Pete to work on a new approach. Otherwise he has to find away back to making every player on the roster expendable.

Wise words.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nash72":1a4qiiq2 said:
Josea16":1a4qiiq2 said:
So simple and obvious. Please up your game troll.

With you calling me a troll, that must mean that you believe Carroll and his cronies are on the same level as the Patriots coaching staff. Now I know what I'm dealing with.

As I said before, "real" fans see reality and comment accordingly.

I don't care who disagrees with my premise that the team has some serious issues brewing. I said so last season and was proven right - as were others.

I'm hoping for a better 2017 where the Hawks are actually a threat to make it to the SB. They were never a real threat to do so last season.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
When Earl Thomas got hurt, the defense was on pace to be the #1 scoring defense for a 5th-consecutive season.

Let that sink in: Five. Consecutive. Years.

Before the Thomas injury, the Seahawks were in the midst of an NFL record 76-consecutive games without losing by more than 10 points. The 2nd longest such streak in NFL history belongs to the Patriots, but they only did it for 45 games.

Does anyone believe this team would not have been better with a healthy Earl Thomas?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
nash72":1xz9mg7c said:
Josea16":1xz9mg7c said:
.And Heckle shows up right after Jeckle. Don't either of you fools get tired of your bullshit? I am for one. If I didn't have a job I might actually care what both you jokers post ad nauseam. Interesting to see that both of you back off when someone, anyone (myself calls you exactly what you are and do). Both of you bore me, just be happy I don't give a shit about your ignorant opinions.

What the hell? You both hate the Seahawks and love the Patriots. They are awesome, unless you understand they sucked Cleveland Browns level until Tom Brady arrived. Just like us before Russell Wilson. And he still gets a 10-5-1 record and wins the division and wins a playoff game as usual while being injured seriously enough to not actually play.

If your so tired of it all then move on. Pretty simple. You don't give a shit but yet your constantly posting and being combative. We're in a thread about Carroll moving on and if its not all positive, the worlds going to end. Now Bevell Jr. sticks his nose in it and wants a mod to intervene because a few of us see negative aspects with the organization. Come on now, time to pull the big boy pants up.

I don't love the Patriots, I'm just jealous of their success and wish Seattle would improve. Oh my, I must not be a fan.
You cite the Patriots every single time as your favorite residents of the ivory tower.

And you are correct in that I don't need the assistance of a mod. I can see for myself through your posts that you embody in true colors the unmistakable evidence of a fair-weather fan.

nash72

Reaction score
hawknation2017":iwfdvjwu said:
Does anyone believe this team would not have been better with a healthy Earl Thomas?

Absolutely. He's the most important player on the team, but as good as he is, he wouldn't have made any difference in how far we went. The Falcons were going to throttle us no matter what and GB probably would have again too. They were just playing lights out.

nash72

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":29i22e2w said:
You cite the Patriots every single time as your favorite residents of the ivory tower.

And you are correct in that I don't need the assistance of a mod. I can see for myself through your posts that you embody in true colors the unmistakable evidence of a fair-weather fan.

Yeah I cite the best and most successful organization in the NFL. Isnt that what we are striving for?

A fair weather fan. Lol. Coming from a guy who just jumped on the band wagon 6 or 7 years ago and who's heart is still in Minnesota. When you've put in 40+ years of rooting for the Seahawks, get back to me.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
nash72":2hcwsshl said:
hawknation2017":2hcwsshl said:

Absolutely. He's the most important player on the team, but as good as he is, he wouldn't have made any difference in how far we went. The Falcons were going to throttle us no matter what and GB probably would have again too. They were just playing lights out.

So you don't believe having a healthy Earl Thomas would have allowed us to hold Arizona to fewer than 30 points?

Because if that happened, the Seahawks would have 1) rested during the wild card round, 2) played the divisional round at home, likely against the Falcons, who we already beat at home with a healthy Earl Thomas, and 3) received another home game in the conference championship against the Packers.

The difference between getting home field and having to play an extra game and then travel to Atlanta was razor thin, so having a healthy Earl Thomas could have made a tremendous impact. Any marginal improvement in the team might have been enough to give them home field advantage in the divisional round AND conference championship (due to the Cowboys' loss). Had that happened, our path to the Super Bowl would have been very clear.

I would go so far as to say that merely having an experienced backup FS, like Bradley McDougald, would have been enough to beat Arizona, and thereby give us home field advantage. Unfortunately, Steven Terrell, in my long-held opinion, was the least effective player on our 53-man roster. Arizona, Green Bay, and Atlanta both pounded away at Terrell to beat us over the top. I feel more confident this season because we have a veteran backup to Thomas and the chance to add another quality safety in a deep draft for the position.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I fall in between the thinking of Nash/semiahmoo and the Kool Aid drinkers.

The past two editions of the Seahawks were not nearly as good as the 2012-2014 editions. The defense isn't nearly as dominating, we don't have Beast, the offensive line is much worse, and Russell seems to have hit a plateau. You can cite what ever reasons you like, but those are for the most part universally agreed on (except some might question the Russell part).

Where I disagree is the amount of blame attributed to Pete and the comparison to the Patriots. The Patriots are in a league by themselves, and it's not fair to any team to be compared to them. They are an anomaly. It would be better to compare us to teams like the Broncos or Packers that always seem to be in the mix but have won just one SB in the past 15 years or so. We have been in a bit of a funk the past two seasons, but our core is still solid. We need a tune up, not a complete overhaul.

Thankfully we haven't had years where we completely tanked, like the Panthers did this season. But I'm not satisfied. Pete has spoiled me. I expect Super Bowl teams, not playoff teams.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
RiverDog":3sow7ep3 said:
I fall in between the thinking of Nash/semiahmoo and the Kool Aid drinkers.

The past two editions of the Seahawks were not nearly as good as the 2012-2014 editions. The defense isn't nearly as dominating, we don't have Beast, the offensive line is much worse, and Russell seems to have hit a plateau. You can cite what ever reasons you like, but those are for the most part universally agreed on (except some might question the Russell part).

Where I disagree is the amount of blame attributed to Pete and the comparison to the Patriots. The Patriots are in a league by themselves, and it's not fair to any team to be compared to them. They are an anomaly. It would be better to compare us to teams like the Broncos or Packers that always seem to be in the mix but have won just one SB in the past 15 years or so. We have been in a bit of a funk the past two seasons, but our core is still solid. We need a tune up, not a complete overhaul.

Thankfully we haven't had years where we completely tanked, like the Panthers did this season. But I'm not satisfied. Pete has spoiled me. I expect Super Bowl teams, not playoff teams.

Since you are tossing out labels like "Kool Aid drinker," why don't you directly address my point above and explain to me why having a healthy Earl Thomas would not have greatly improved our chances of maintaining the #1 scoring defense for a 5th-consecutive year, earning a bye and home field advantage with a win over Arizona, winning two games at home in the playoffs, and advancing to what would have been our third Super Bowl in four years. I think we were much closer to having another Super Bowl season than the Negative Nancies understand.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
nash72":bj3y6tw3 said:
Siouxhawk":bj3y6tw3 said:

Yeah I cite the best and most successful organization in the NFL. Isnt that what we are striving for?

A fair weather fan. Lol. Coming from a guy who just jumped on the band wagon 6 or 7 years ago and who's heart is still in Minnesota. When you've put in 40+ years of rooting for the Seahawks, get back to me.
It's fine to put the rabbit up there that we're chasing, but when we fall short of catching them, most on here are objective in reasoning why we fell short in that pursuit. You, on the other hand, choose to castigate the entire organization as failures. Maybe that's your coping mechanism in play, but many would refer to that as a fair-weather fan.

But you do bring up a good point about longevity of being a fan of a certain team and how it correlates to the integrity of that fandom. My belief is that there is no bylaw to being a fan. From an organization's aspect, the more money you give them, the happier they are. They won't tell you this, but the person who's been a season ticket holder for 3 years has more value to them than the fanboy who has watched them strictly on the tube for 40 years. It's a business.

Socially it likely gets you some merit being a lifelong fan among the pack of friends or family you hang out with to watch the games, but as in all aspects of life, changes crop up along the way. You are correct in referring to me having roots as a Vikings fan. Yes, I did grow up watching them and have fond memories as a youth of the Chuck Foremans, Ahmad Rashads, Carl Ellers and Matt Blairs. But I've never liked the Wilfs since they bought the team and I realized how tenuous my position is as a fan when they talked of relocation of the team if they didn't get their stadium financing deal a dozen years ago. Here I was, a lifelong fan of the Vikes and here was this billionaire owner threatening to take that all away. Who holds the pivot of power there? Exactly. It had already happened to me once with the North Stars, albeit I was very young. Many here likely experienced that with the Sonics.

In any event, that experience put something in motion in me that had me looking elsewhere and it was a natural transition for me when Farwell, Tarvaris, Sidney and Bevell came over to the Hawks in 2011. Armed with my knowledge and appreciation of the game, I instantly gravitated to the style of building the organization as orchestrated by Pete and John. It was what I longed for and was mesmerizingly hooked. I'd stay on my computer after work getting the inside locker room look from the Real Rob Report. I got to know these up-and-coming players before most of the country and world. I could sense that something special was brewing. I didn't live in your midst in Seattle, but I got a little taste of that euphoria of anticipation that all of you Seahawk fans can relate to circa. 2011.

And then 2013 happened.

For me, it will go down as the happiest NFL year of my life. Sure I was an interloper and called a bandwaggoner by many of my inner circle ... some in jest, some not ... but I was a devotee to the Hawks and felt it a privilege to see it all come together right before my very eyes. Sure I had invested just one .500 year in 2011 to the Hawks before things really started taking off in 2012 with the dawning of Russ, but I had gone a lifetime without experiencing a Super Bowl title ... and I was thirsty!

So I don't know, maybe my years of devotion to the team doesn't rank me as high on the totem pole as others, but from a personal satisfaction avenue, I have never regretted my decision to become a Hawks fan. I generally watch their games every Sunday at the same bar where the bartenders make sure I get at least one satellite feed, even for those early games. I represent the Hawks with the attire that I wear and I immerse myself in the game. In the world I live in, am I not considered a devoted fan or do I really need 40 years to make it thus?

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
nash72":2xtrodaq said:
Siouxhawk":2xtrodaq said:

You can't do what the Patriots do. You can't be the west coast version of the Patriots. Once BB is gone the Patriots won't be able to do what they do now. You have to find your own way. We'll have to find our own way, unless Belichick stays around for awhile in the front office. We went through this before here. Once Red Auerbach left the Celtics the Celtics were never the same.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
BostonBlackie":ftccy93i said:
nash72":ftccy93i said:
Siouxhawk":ftccy93i said:

You can't do what the Patriots do. You can't be the west coast version of the Patriots. Once BB is gone the Patriots won't be able to do what they do now. You have to find your own way. We'll have to find our own way, unless Belichick stays around for awhile in the front office. We went through this before here. Once Red Auerbach left the Celtics the Celtics were never the same.

I'm interested to see how successful Belichick is once Brady retires, I see both sides of the "is it Brady or The System" argument. The System post Brady will be telling.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
BostonBlackie":2bj9cg66 said:
nash72":2bj9cg66 said:
Siouxhawk":2bj9cg66 said:

In a parallel universe somewhere, the Seahawks run the ball on that game-defining play, win a 2nd-consecutive Super Bowl, and then Earl Thomas doesn't get hurt last year and Carroll gets his opportunity to go 4-0 vs. Belichick for his 3rd Super Bowl championship. Then it would be three Super Bowl wins for Belichick and three for Carroll, and all would be right with the world. :179417:

[/color]

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2fvpp8h4 said:
BostonBlackie":2fvpp8h4 said:
nash72":2fvpp8h4 said:
Siouxhawk":2fvpp8h4 said:

In a parallel universe somewhere, the Seahawks run the ball on that game-defining play, win a 2nd-consecutive Super Bowl, and then Earl Thomas doesn't get hurt last year and Carroll gets his opportunity to go 4-0 vs. Belichick for his 3rd Super Bowl championship. Then it would be three Super Bowl wins for Belichick and three for Carroll, and all would be right with the world. :179417:

See how hard it is? You need a parallel universe to accomplish it.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
BostonBlackie":2y3or5n2 said:
hawknation2017":2y3or5n2 said:
BostonBlackie":2y3or5n2 said:

No need to rub it in. :p

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":3jj45d2j said:
hawknation2017":3jj45d2j said:

Earl Thomas would have made no difference? You have no substance or analysis behind your assertion. Earl Thomas' influence on the field is enormous. Commentators have talked about how opposing QBs won't take nearly as many risks on the field with Earl Thomas there. They hold onto the ball and open themselves up to pass rush. The experience drop from him to Steven Terrell is also absolutely enormous. The defense's ability to get themselves into the right position without him would have undoubtedly taken a hit.

Games swing on key plays. We suffered some rough luck in the Falcons game and lost to momentum. It's really easy to think that Earl's presence would have turned a couple of those touchdowns into field goals. I think you just don't want to admit that because it doesn't back up your worldview.

Now, consider that even without Earl, the Seahawks were three missed Haushcka kicks away from the #1 seed. They won ten games. This isn't kool-aid, as much as you want it to be.The alarmism you're calling for simply isn't justified and a coaching change would probably hurt more than it helps. We're fine.

Get Earl healthy, get Wilson nimble, get a real left tackle, and we're contenders. That's all that's needed.

BostonBlackie

Reaction score
hawknation2017":11qt87w1 said:
BostonBlackie":11qt87w1 said:
hawknation2017":11qt87w1 said:
BostonBlackie":11qt87w1 said:

No need to rub it in. :p

Well, it's got nothing to do with me. I was just lucky enough to have been born here, and never left.