Malik McDowell in "vehicular" accident

hawkfan68

Reaction score
With the uncertainty regarding McDowell, I wonder with the trade talks for Sheldon Richardson will heat up again. It sounded like the Seahawks were interested in acquiring him earlier.

pmedic920

Reaction score
seabowl":21zo32z5 said:
I know a lot on this board talk about his facial injuries however I believe it's his brain that is the real problem here. Pure speculation but he may be looking at permanent brain damage. Yes he has a concussion but I think there is much more to this then we know or think we know.

Again speculation here but this really may be a career ender.

Did I read somewhere in here, that his family is asking for privacy?

If so, some type of permanent injury is becoming a stronger possibility.

IMO

mikeak

Reaction score
Seymour":3id5d6rx said:
quadsas":3id5d6rx said:
Year of The Hawk":3id5d6rx said:
Its crazy to me that people throw the label "immature" on a guy for riding an ATV. I guess all those critical have never hurt themselves through sports or active fun. He is young and strong. Probably has more money in his life than ever before. I for one am glad he was having fun (not everyone can be Earl Thomas and live in a closet intensely studying football 24/7 until game time). I am not glad of the result but he is only human. People are so quick to judge this guy. Maybe he is immature but IMHO this accident is not necessarily a sign of that. I don't know. Lets just all hope he gets well soon and comes back to light things up for the Hawks.

Its downright idiotic to do what he did..he is lucky hes a Seahawk, most teams would take all his money away and probably cut him first chance they get

I am pretty sure nobody can do that. His $3.2M signing bonus is now his to keep no matter what the team decides.

Not correct. There is a high chance money flows back to Seattle. This was a non-football injury. It will depend on contract language etc but standard NFL contract language would give the team right to void his contract with refund. I don't know all the details of the process but as I understand it putting him on NFI list provides time to work this out so there is no reason to rush. Better to then take time, figure out long term and then take action.

As mentioned above the Seahawks have gotten nothing from him. This is not like letting Lynch retire with signing bonus. This guy directly NEGATIVELY impacted the organization with a wasted pick if he can't play. They will get their money back if they can.

Reminds me of Jay Williams ruining his career on a motorcycle (or rather off a motorcycle....)

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":xp0zmdm6 said:
Seymour":xp0zmdm6 said:
quadsas":xp0zmdm6 said:
Year of The Hawk":xp0zmdm6 said:
Its crazy to me that people throw the label "immature" on a guy for riding an ATV. I guess all those critical have never hurt themselves through sports or active fun. He is young and strong. Probably has more money in his life than ever before. I for one am glad he was having fun (not everyone can be Earl Thomas and live in a closet intensely studying football 24/7 until game time). I am not glad of the result but he is only human. People are so quick to judge this guy. Maybe he is immature but IMHO this accident is not necessarily a sign of that. I don't know. Lets just all hope he gets well soon and comes back to light things up for the Hawks.

Its downright idiotic to do what he did..he is lucky hes a Seahawk, most teams would take all his money away and probably cut him first chance they get

I am pretty sure nobody can do that. His $3.2M signing bonus is now his to keep no matter what the team decides.

Not correct. There is a high chance money flows back to Seattle. This was a non-football injury. It will depend on contract language etc but standard NFL contract language would give the team right to void his contract with refund. I don't know all the details of the process but as I understand it putting him on NFI list provides time to work this out so there is no reason to rush. Better to then take time, figure out long term and then take action.

As mentioned above the Seahawks have gotten nothing from him. This is not like letting Lynch retire with signing bonus. This guy directly NEGATIVELY impacted the organization with a wasted pick if he can't play. They will get their money back if they can.

Reminds me of Jay Williams ruining his career on a motorcycle (or rather off a motorcycle....)

Yes they can void his contract, but he has a signing bonus. That is his just for signing the contract. They can go after his annual salary, yes. I heard this discussion on ESPN a few days ago and that is exactly what they said.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am going to wait and see how it plays out. We don't know if part of it was deferred or the contract language. Remember if he VIOLATED the contract then Seattle would have a legal claim for a refund. The signing bonus was paid for anticipated work that he may have voided.

Furthermore teams often defers 25% to March and they may simply refuse to pay it.

Hopefully we never find out (either way ESPN frequently speculates on this. Many times I hear them be wrong on contract details) and the kid has a great career with seattle.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
bigskydoc":38pgdil8 said:
Yes, withheld pay goes back into the salary cap

And BTW, my son laughs at those of you saying that ATV riding is too risky for a grown man to do in the offseason.

IMG 0794

5lxsb9

25frr79

FASCINATING, A HELMET!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If I catch him riding either the ATVs or his bike without a helmet, he loses both for 30 days.

He never forgets to put it on

Seymour

Reaction score
There has been a sighting at the airport gift shop!

17883134_435914973427370_6883184059665612800_n.jpg

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1ix02rvm said:
Yes they can void his contract, but he has a signing bonus. That is his just for signing the contract. They can go after his annual salary, yes. I heard this discussion on ESPN a few days ago and that is exactly what they said.

This just isn't as absolute as they want you to believe. Players may want it to be true, but when you sign that contract and take that money, you are agreeing to the terms of that contract. If you breach that contract, damages could include every penny payed and legally speaking, depending on the damages of a legal contract, go beyond the amounts stated within the contract. I believe you'd be hard pressed to prove damages beyond the value of an NFL contract though, so that's unrealistic, but to have to pay back parts of a signing bonus are not unheard of in the NFL. We don't know the exact terms of the contract, so we, and everyone at ESPN are just speculating.

RussB

Reaction score
Hawkfish":3cyskh9w said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/897257918319312897[/tweet]
Really hope he gets to play this season. I believe he can make a huge impact on the defense.

Josea16

Reaction score
RussB":crdsxfcd said:
Hawkfish":crdsxfcd said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/897257918319312897[/tweet]
Really hope he gets to play this season. I believe he can make a huge impact on the defense.
Plot thickens....Rams look like they may be trouble it'd be nice to have him.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well, before they drive off, I hope he puts his seatbelt on. :)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Still betting he either has orbital damage with visual deficit, or intracranial hematoma. Only things I can think of that makes sense.

HawkGA

Reaction score
kidhawk":1mgtqqqc said:
Seymour":1mgtqqqc said:

This just isn't as absolute as they want you to believe. Players may want it to be true, but when you sign that contract and take that money, you are agreeing to the terms of that contract. If you breach that contract, damages could include every penny payed and legally speaking, depending on the damages of a legal contract, go beyond the amounts stated within the contract. I believe you'd be hard pressed to prove damages beyond the value of an NFL contract though, so that's unrealistic, but to have to pay back parts of a signing bonus are not unheard of in the NFL. We don't know the exact terms of the contract, so we, and everyone at ESPN are just speculating.

I would think this would be no different than a player who retires and the team may or may not decide to go back for some of the bonus money.