Russ has regressed as a QB

niveky

Reaction score
66% completion percentage..which is his highest mark for a season, but he is missing throws more often.

Reaction score
I love Wilson, and I do rate him highly, but there's no question that he's an inconsistent quarterback. The people who love him, myself included, have reason to rate him highly and some of the throws and plays he can make are unbelievable, but then there's an aspect to his game which baffles everyone, Wilson included. Think about the missed pass to Baldwin. No high level QB should be missing that pass and in 99% of cases, it's a touchdown, yet Wilson has periods in games where he's so far beneath his own level. I think the difference between him at his best and worst is the biggest in the league and the strange thing about Wilson is that, unlike bad QBs, he doesn't have weeks where he's poor, he just has parts of a games where he misses very easy throws but, like the best QBs, he's capable of hitting some unbelievable throws too.

I can't say enough about Wilson, I love him and would never want to lose him as a Seahawk, but he has issues to fix. These stats about him in the 4th are great but the other 3 quarters should be similar and in games like this, or the famous NFC Championship game against the Packers, they just aren't. Wilson needs to find more consistency; it's not a physical issue, it's mental and we need him on his best all the time because THAT Wilson is very much elite and near unstoppable.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":1xu54brg said:
I love Wilson, and I do rate him highly, but there's no question that he's an inconsistent quarterback. The people who love him, myself included, have reason to rate him highly and some of the throws and plays he can make are unbelievable, but then there's an aspect to his game which baffles everyone, Wilson included. Think about the missed pass to Baldwin. No high level QB should be missing that pass and in 99% of cases, it's a touchdown, yet Wilson has periods in games where he's so far beneath his own level. I think the difference between him at his best and worst is the biggest in the league and the strange thing about Wilson is that, unlike bad QBs, he doesn't have weeks where he's poor, he just has parts of a games where he misses very easy throws but, like the best QBs, he's capable of hitting some unbelievable throws too.

I can't say enough about Wilson, I love him and would never want to lose him as a Seahawk, but he has issues to fix. These stats about him in the 4th are great but the other 3 quarters should be similar and in games like this, or the famous NFC Championship game against the Packers, they just aren't. Wilson needs to find more consistency; it's not a physical issue, it's mental and we need him on his best all the time because THAT Wilson is very much elite and near unstoppable.

Inconsistent? You do realize he has the second highest career passer rating right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":2kegejzf said:
BoltonWanderer":2kegejzf said:

Inconsistent? You do realize he has the second highest career passer rating right?

Because he can be a brilliant QB, and as I said several times in that post, he can play at a level which is unstoppable.

The problem is, Wilson is capable of a perfect passing rating (as he's done this season) and capable of perfect quarters (as he's also done this season) but then he's also capable of having quarters where he misses very simple throws, holds onto the ball for too long and makes poor decisions. That's why I called him inconsistent because he is, factually, inconsistent. You can be inconsistent and overall very good, it's just that if Wilson was more consistent, he'd be evem better.

That's not to deny his potential and ability because nobody can deny it, he can be arguably the most unstoppable QB in the league when he's on form, but he can be awful too.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Russell’s first half inaccuracies in that one game were not characteristic of him at all. Trying to use that small sample to define him as a QB is shortsighted.

What was characteristic was the way he closed out the game in elite fashion.

He has improved facets of his game every single season. He has never been more efficient than this season. He has never been better in the red zone. He has never been better on play action. He has never been better against the blitz. He is one of the best in the NFL at all those things.

He’s accomplishing this improvement with easily the worst receiver corps of his career. He’s finding his footing with a new play caller. He is becoming increasingly good as a pocket passer. His identification of defenses and use of audibles are the most advanced they have ever been. That is one of the changes that has aided in his improvement, in addition to the improved offensive line.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":3m395m4g said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3m395m4g said:
BoltonWanderer":3m395m4g said:

Because he can be a brilliant QB, and as I said several times in that post, he can play at a level which is unstoppable.

The problem is, Wilson is capable of a perfect passing rating (as he's done this season) and capable of perfect quarters (as he's also done this season) but then he's also capable of having quarters where he misses very simple throws, holds onto the ball for too long and makes poor decisions. That's why I called him inconsistent because he is, factually, inconsistent. You can be inconsistent and overall very good, it's just that if Wilson was more consistent, he'd be evem better.

That's not to deny his potential and ability because nobody can deny it, he can be arguably the most unstoppable QB in the league when he's on form, but he can be awful too.

Absolutely no player in the league or arguably any human in history is consistently their best at all times. That's too high a bar.

I wouldn't say Russells lows and highs are that disparate as you suggest. His worst is never as bad as Hasselbecks or Kriegs lows. His best is at an elite level neither of those QB's attained. There is a reason we are in virtually every game Wilson plays. When we start routinely getting blown out I might worry more. But he's good enough to have us in every game at the end even when he's clearly off his rhythm.

This year he's been probably his most consistent or at least since game 3 of the season. Just never expect a player to be his best self every moment of every game. Especially when a lot of times Russell has been doing it all by himself.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Name a game we’ve lost because the offense couldn’t score this season? I can name 5 we lost because the defense didn’t stiffen up early enough in the game. The bottom line, under Pete Carroll... if the opponent scores over 27 points, out odds of winning are close to zero. Good thing he finds a way to coach up a great defense.

None of these losses are on Russ or the offense. They did their job and put points on the board.

Backs may score touchdowns, but linemen and defense wins championships.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
And guess who has the highest 4th qtr passing rating of all time? He doesn't play for green bay or England

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It’s becoming clearer that there is a definite faction of Seahawks fans who won’t be satisfied unless the QB is absolutely perfect on every play, every throw, every game. I’m thinking these are the same people who never ever have an off day at their job or in their life. The Seahawks have one of the best QBs playing the game. Enjoy the ride and be thankful!

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2oovbcr8 said:
It’s becoming clearer that there is a definite faction of Seahawks fans who won’t be satisfied unless the QB is absolutely perfect on every play, every throw, every game. I’m thinking these are the same people who never ever have an off day at their job or in their life. The Seahawks have one of the best QBs playing the game. Enjoy the ride and be thankful!

Right? We could have Rick Mirer back

mrt144

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1u0nx1xi said:

I mean, that's a very good goal for any QB to have internally. But for fans to expect it or won't be satisfied by much less? It's hard to even interact with another person stuck on that cause what do you say even? "You're making more of a lack of consistency and perfection than you should" or "The team still has a ton of room for improvement even without what you're hoping for at QB"

Hawkpower

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1h0qhctr said:
BoltonWanderer":1h0qhctr said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1h0qhctr said:
BoltonWanderer":1h0qhctr said:

Name a QB who doesn't do those things?

True every QB has bad moments.

But he has a point. Russ has really, REALLY bad stretches. And really REALLY great stretches.

I think most elite QB's are more steady, with an occasional bad throw or mistake mixed in, whereas Russ can be inexplicably horrible for long stretches of a game and then suddenly seems to turn it on and is an absolute stud on the field.

As fans, its ok to admit this. This tendency to say WELL WE COULD HAVE DAN MCGWIRE!!!! every time somebody dares to point out a frustrating part of his game is ridiculous. Most of us appreciate Russ, but he can be frustrating to watch when he is in a bad stretch and our offense sputters for quarters and halves at a time as a result.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkpower":k5nj1cf7 said:
FlyHawksFly":k5nj1cf7 said:
BoltonWanderer":k5nj1cf7 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":k5nj1cf7 said:

But he has a point. Russ has really, REALLY bad stretches. And really REALLY great stretches.

I think most elite QB's are more steady, with an occasional bad throw or mistake mixed in, whereas Russ can be inexplicably horrible for long stretches of a game and then suddenly seems to turn it on and is an absolute stud on the field.

As fans, its ok to admit this. This tendency to say WELL WE COULD HAVE DAN MCGWIRE!!!! every time somebody dares to point out a frustrating part of his game is ridiculous. Most of us appreciate Russ, but he can be frustrating to watch when he is in a bad stretch and our offense sputters for quarters and halves at a time as a result.

Can be frustrating true, can be exhilarating as well, McGwire was never Exhilarating.

Rainger

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I am sure I remember a post by the author in say 2012 that was that "Russ Wilson was the worst QB that he had ever seen and that he had seen them all". Or something like that.

Another poster I remember actually used the quote as part of his signature tag. I would assume this has an influence on the belief that Russ has regressed.

Now having said that Seabowl I too lately have been feeling frustrated over the last couple of games with him not throwing the ball away and the same weak things that have always been part of his game seem to be glaring.

However the whole new scheme is a dry and boring brand of ball but Wilson is commanding it really quite well even though I have been yelling at the screen on every sack that is on him. I can see how it would look like regression watching him this year but he actually is playing well, just doesn't seem to be as improvisational and elusive as in the past which tricks us.

Lots of others have posted stats that proves our eyes are lying to us.

Don't think he is regressing but he has not nor ever will evolve into the way a Brady or others plays the game from the pocket. He is what he is and I think this team would look a lot worse than it does if not for RW3.

knownone

Reaction score
Wilson is on pace for the best statistical season of his career and we literally have a thread with the title "Wilson has regressed as a QB" at the top of the board... This is Seattle it rains half of the year, we're not a fair weather fan base, pull up your boots and support your undersized goofy not black enough QB.

Fade

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":23m6zftd said:

This post is so categorically wrong I cannot believe I am reading it.

You can set your watch to Russell Wilson.

+60%
30+ TDs (Running & Throwing)
10 INTS
100 Passer Rating
500 Yards Rushing

He is the model of consistency. The 2nd Highest rated passer of All-Time.

2012 - 100.0 Passer Rating
2013 - 101.2 Passer Rating
2014 - 95.0 Passer Rating
2015 - 110.1 Passer Rating
2016 - 92.6 Passer Rating (Injured Season w/ankle & MCL tear. 32nd Ranked O-Line via PFF, only 259 yds rushing.)
2017 - 95.6 Passer Rating
2018 - 110.2 Passer Rating (Already has 227 yards rushing in 10 games. Further context to how hurt he was in 2016.)

Matt Ryan is inconsistent.

2012 - 99.1 Passer Rating
2013 - 89.6 Passer Rating
2014 - 93.9 Passer Rating
2015 - 89.7 Passer Rating
2016 - 117.1 Passer Rating
2017 - 91.4 Passer Rating
2018 - 113.2 Passer Rating

He has only posted a 100% passer rating 2 times in his much longer career. Most seasons he was in the low 90's.

Or have a laugh and look at Cam Newton as a passer. That is inconsistent.

I am going to create a new thread to bury this stupidity once and for all.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":16qz5db4 said:
FlyHawksFly":16qz5db4 said:
BoltonWanderer":16qz5db4 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":16qz5db4 said:

Can I just say...and I’m not just trying to argue or refusing to admit it. But I really think this is HIGHLY inaccurate. It really goes to show that most people go based off perception or stereotypes, and not reality. The idea that Brady, Rodgers, or even Brees don’t make really bad throws, or miss WIDE OPEN guys is kind of an insult to football knowledge. Of course they do, unless they’re having an outlier year. Implying that they never do is just mythologizing these QBs. What is happening a lot here is confirmation bias. If you always had doubts about Russ as a QB, his mistakes will stick out to you. It will be retweeted, and discussed ad-nauseam. Confirmation bias will also allow us to flat out ignore when some of these QBs sulk, and behave like poor team mates (Brady, Rodgers). We can all leave with a different opinion here, but we’re never going to see eye to eye on here if we pretend these things are unique to Wilson and that other elite QBs don’t miss wide open guys. Try to let the stereotype go

I do not think Russ is better than Brady or Rodgers yet..but I believe he’s at least number 3 or 4. That said, I think Russ is the only one that can carry a team to 9 or 10 wins when everything is falling apart around him. In a year when he’s not learning a new system. I don’t think any of the QBs supposedly above Wilson gets us to 9-7 last year, for example. Maybe Rodgers, but his record on the road is terrible

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":3320s3rc said:
BoltonWanderer":3320s3rc said:

+60%
10 INTS
100 Passer Rating
500 Yards Rushing

2016 - 92.6 Passer Rating (Injured Season w/ankle & MCL tear. 32nd Ranked O-Line via PFF, only 259 yds rushing.)
2018 - 110.2 Passer Rating (Already has 227 yards rushing in 10 games. Further context to how hurt he was in 2016.)

He has only posted a 100% passer rating 2 times in his much longer career. Most seasons he was in the low 90's.

Fantastic post man! Who are you like super stat man?

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":2xm98gvz said:
BoltonWanderer":2xm98gvz said:

+60%
10 INTS
100 Passer Rating
500 Yards Rushing

You either didn't read or didn't understand my point.

Firstly, it seems like you think I'm against Wilson when I'm not. I think he's elite, I love him and I want him to retire here. I wouldn't swap him for anyone else in the league and if you offered me a prime version of any active QB instead of him, the list may only be two long. I'm a huge fan of his, so what I say isn't criticism, it's an observation.

Secondly, his record year in year out has got no bearing on what I said. As I said "he doesn't have weeks where he's poor, he just has parts of a games where he misses very easy throws", so that's my issue with his game. It's not that he has bad weeks, or even bad years which you seem to think is the only aspect of consistency, it's that when he's off form, he'll take time to settle in and then be brilliant in the fourth quarter. That's fine, we all love those comebacks, but the disparity between the fourth and the previous three is the definition of inconsistency.

Year in year out, Wilson is consistent, there's no denying that. He's a very high level QB. Game in game out, he's consistent, but there are drives and quarters of games where he can be either unstoppable or very poor. I think that disparity in levels is more significant than any other top QB around now, including guys like Matt Ryan, even though Wilson is the far better player.

Last year, Wilson's passer rating in the first quarter was 75.3 and in the fourth quarter, it was an astonishing 138.2. No matter which numbers you want to look at, that is inconsistency throughout a game. Consistency is averaging between 90-100 or whatever, inconsistency is going from 75.3 to 138.2.

By the way, the fact he is capable of 138.2 is why all Seahawks fans should love him but it's utterly pointless to be biased and ignored the 75.3, we should want him to fix things that are holding him back.

LTH

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":29rxt2jn said:
Fade":29rxt2jn said:
BoltonWanderer":29rxt2jn said:

+60%
10 INTS
100 Passer Rating
500 Yards Rushing

You either didn't read or didn't understand my point.

Firstly, it seems like you think I'm against Wilson when I'm not. I think he's elite, I love him and I want him to retire here. I wouldn't swap him for anyone else in the league and if you offered me a prime version of any active QB instead of him, the list may only be two long. I'm a huge fan of his, so what I say isn't criticism, it's an observation.

Secondly, his record year in year out has got no bearing on what I said. As I said "he doesn't have weeks where he's poor, he just has parts of a games where he misses very easy throws", so that's my issue with his game. It's not that he has bad weeks, or even bad years which you seem to think is the only aspect of consistency, it's that when he's off form, he'll take time to settle in and then be brilliant in the fourth quarter. That's fine, we all love those comebacks, but the disparity between the fourth and the previous three is the definition of inconsistency.

Year in year out, Wilson is consistent, there's no denying that. He's a very high level QB. Game in game out, he's consistent, but there are drives and quarters of games where he can be either unstoppable or very poor. I think that disparity in levels is more significant than any other top QB around now, including guys like Matt Ryan, even though Wilson is the far better player.

Last year, Wilson's passer rating in the first quarter was 75.3 and in the fourth quarter, it was an astonishing 138.2. No matter which numbers you want to look at, that is inconsistency throughout a game. Consistency is averaging between 90-100 or whatever, inconsistency is going from 75.3 to 138.2.

By the way, the fact he is capable of 138.2 is why all Seahawks fans should love him but it's utterly pointless to be biased and ignored the 75.3, we should want him to fix things that are holding him back.

I don't care what his stats are like.... the bottom line is he keeps putting the team in position to win games consistently...game after game.

LTH