Kareem Hunt - Then use Penny as a big trade piece

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
massari":3f6dncfd said:
Dante Fowler jr
Anthony Barr
Ezekiel Ansah - Finished season on IR, might settle for a prove it deal

Don't see Fowler or Barr. They are both OLBs. Seattle has two options (KJ/Kendricks). Kendricks probably is resigned if he isn't in prison.

Neither Barr nor Fowler project as pass rushers for us. To do so, they would need to move Clark to 5T. He's not physically suited for that.

Otherwise, Barr/Fowler are looking at playing SAM which is a position that has limited value and doesn't have a lot of pass rush opportunities in this defense.

To sign either, it would eat a lot of cap space. And it would also be akin to trading a 4th round pick (potential Thomas comp). I don't see either being signed.

Ansah is a potential target. He's a 5T all the way. But he's also 29. That's really a bit older for Seattle to invest UFA dollars. Typically they go for 25-27 age targets. So older, coming off significant injury? Not likely.

When you also consider the depth of this draft class, the DE market should be significantly soft this year. Should be a lot of value to be had in weeks 3-4 of the UFA signing period. I'd expect them to get a hedge player in UFA as a fallback should they strike out in the draft.

Hunt, I think he's radioactive right now. Big difference between Hunt and Frank Clark. Hunt looks like he's getting the Ray Rice treatment.

I fully expect us to focus our spending on our own UFAs. For two reasons:

1. Carroll already admitted he felt like the team found their core guys. Clark and either Sweezy/Fluker are among them. It's possible we let one of those OGs go. But expect Clark and one other. Then it's on to Wilson's deal.

2. Carroll has been refreshingly candid in his post season presser about outlining where the team was looking to improve. This year, he didn't hint at any particular need other than depth. So I don't expect us to be in the market the first week or so.

Honestly, given that the DE UFA list is not horrible and the draft class at DE is so flush -- Seattle can afford to get a easily expendable hedge -- draft a DE -- and then look for a cap casualty at DE from other teams that also get rookie DE additions.

EDIT:

Given the poor state of the Safeties class, if Seattle does a splash play keep tabs on Landon Collins. Age (25) fits. Available options are sparse. Need definitely fits.

Budget guys: Adrian Amos (Age 26 SS Bears) and Curtis Riley (Age 27 FS NYG). Riley is interesting as a CB to FS convert. Had a really strong 2018 in his first year at FS.

Riley to me looks like a potential Bradley McDougald kind of signing. Getting a guy who is poised to really start making noise in his career. And he looks like he'll be on the outs in NY: https://nypost.com/2018/12/30/curtis-ri ... nts-bench/

Pretty sure Pete could clean up tackling issues. Riley would have led our team in interceptions this year. Has requisity 32" arm length. Better overall athlete to McDougald:

Riley: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/curtis-riley/
McDougald: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/bradley-mcdougald/

Worth watching.

massari

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":31t8mb2c said:
massari":31t8mb2c said:
Dante Fowler jr
Anthony Barr

Don't see Fowler or Barr. They are both OLBs. Seattle has two options (KJ/Kendricks). Kendricks probably is resigned if he isn't in prison.

Neither Barr nor Fowler project as pass rushers for us. To do so, they would need to move Clark to 5T. He's not physically suited for that.

Otherwise, Barr/Fowler are looking at playing SAM which is a position that has limited value and doesn't have a lot of pass rush opportunities in this defense.

To sign either, it would eat a lot of cap space. And it would also be akin to trading a 4th round pick (potential Thomas comp). I don't see either being signed.

Ansah is a potential target. He's a 5T all the way. But he's also 29. That's really a bit older for Seattle to invest UFA dollars. Typically they go for 25-27 age targets. So older, coming off significant injury? Not likely.

When you also consider the depth of this draft class, the DE market should be significantly soft this year. Should be a lot of value to be had in weeks 3-4 of the UFA signing period. I'd expect them to get a hedge player in UFA as a fallback should they strike out in the draft.

Hunt, I think he's radioactive right now. Big difference between Hunt and Frank Clark. Hunt looks like he's getting the Ray Rice treatment.

1. Carroll already admitted he felt like the team found their core guys. Clark and either Sweezy/Fluker are among them. It's possible we let one of those OGs go. But expect Clark and one other. Then it's on to Wilson's deal.

2. Carroll has been refreshingly candid in his post season presser about outlining where the team was looking to improve. This year, he didn't hint at any particular need other than depth. So I don't expect us to be in the market the first week or so.

Honestly, given that the DE UFA list is not horrible and the draft class at DE is so flush -- Seattle can afford to get a easily expendable hedge -- draft a DE -- and then look for a cap casualty at DE from other teams that also get rookie DE additions.

EDIT:

Given the poor state of the Safeties class, if Seattle does a splash play keep tabs on Landon Collins. Age (25) fits. Available options are sparse. Need definitely fits.

Budget guys: Adrian Amos (Age 26 SS Bears) and Curtis Riley (Age 27 FS NYG). Riley is interesting as a CB to FS convert. Had a really strong 2018 in his first year at FS.

Riley to me looks like a potential Bradley McDougald kind of signing. Getting a guy who is poised to really start making noise in his career. And he looks like he'll be on the outs in NY: https://nypost.com/2018/12/30/curtis-ri ... nts-bench/

Pretty sure Pete could clean up tackling issues. Riley would have led our team in interceptions this year. Has requisity 32" arm length. Better overall athlete to McDougald:

Worth watching.
Was thinking with Barr's size and athleticism, he could be signed to be an edge rusher, but apparently the Vikings have already tried that last year and it didn't work out. Didn't realize Fowler and Barr are projected to get that big of contracts, but apparently are, so that won't work. Fowler is said to be better suited for 3-4 anyways.

Why would they have to move Clark when one can play opposite side of him?

Schneider doesn't seem to care much about comp picks after giving up two 4th's, 5th and 7th because of his signings of mediocre vets last off-season.

I'm hoping for Kareem Hunt and Jeffrey Simmons :)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Why would Saffold, a lifelong, and longest-tenurede, Ram, end up on the Seahawks. We have similar cap space to spend in free agency, and he has already said he will give the Rams a home-town discount

vin.couve12

Reaction score
We need a pass rusher and a WLB.

Kendricks may or may not be available and Griffin is as prone to mental lapses as his twin brother. That needs to definitively be squared away. You might be inclined to say KJ, but he's going to have ongoing problems with the knee.

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't go for a big pass rushing name though. The thought is likely that they have the two rookies up and coming and will improve in their second year. Possibly another interior guy with potential, but likely no edge rusher and bet on the Sophs.

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":h1vdfnix said:
We need a pass rusher and a WLB.

Kendricks may or may not be available and Griffin is as prone to mental lapses as his twin brother. That needs to definitively be squared away. You might be inclined to say KJ, but he's going to have ongoing problems with the knee.

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't go for a big pass rushing name though. The thought is likely that they have the two rookies up and coming and will improve in their second year. Possibly another interior guy with potential, but likely no edge rusher and bet on the Sophs.

Martin and Green with a year of experience and a off season of getting a NFL type body may be what the plan was all along as far as the edge goes. We never go after big names in the draft, our issue this year is probably waiting on a team to approach us for a need player however, at the early 20's were in no mans land as far as position goes to stock up on some picks.

massari

Reaction score
Was thinking Brandon Graham would cost a lot more than this article is suggesting. If true, he and Ansah would seem like perfect short term signings until the younger guys can step up:

Approximate deal: A good comparison in terms of situation and role for Graham would be Adrian Clayborn, who signed a two-year, $10M deal ($5.5M guaranteed) with the Patriots in 2018. Clayborn has never hit double-digit sacks—the closest he came was 9.5 in 2017. Graham’s role, age and production line up with Clayborn’s, and his new deal should as well.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/2/7/182 ... don-graham

PFF had Graham ranked above Frank Clark

[youtube]kdh246EI5z4[/youtube]

knownone

Reaction score
massari":33btjy8x said:
Was thinking Brandon Graham would cost a lot more than this article is suggesting. If true, he and Ansah would seem like perfect short term signings until the younger guys can step up:

Approximate deal: A good comparison in terms of situation and role for Graham would be Adrian Clayborn, who signed a two-year, $10M deal ($5.5M guaranteed) with the Patriots in 2018. Clayborn has never hit double-digit sacks—the closest he came was 9.5 in 2017. Graham’s role, age and production line up with Clayborn’s, and his new deal should as well.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/2/7/182 ... don-graham

PFF had Graham ranked above Frank Clark

[youtube]kdh246EI5z4[/youtube]
Honestly, comments like that are why it’s hard for me to take fieldgulls seriously. Graham is far and away a better player than Clayborn. For example, Graham has been in the top 10 in pressure percentage for the last 4 years. Clayborn hasn’t been in the top 20 once in the entirety of his career. Graham will get somewhere around 15M/year.

Ansah will likely be cheaper but even he’s getting way more than 5M/year unless his health issue are major red flags.

Tical21

Reaction score
massari":3s5k667t said:
Attyla the Hawk":3s5k667t said:
massari":3s5k667t said:
Dante Fowler jr
Anthony Barr

EDIT:

Worth watching.
Was thinking with Barr's size and athleticism, he could be signed to be an edge rusher, but apparently the Vikings have already tried that last year and it didn't work out. Didn't realize Fowler and Barr are projected to get that big of contracts, but apparently are, so that won't work. Fowler is said to be better suited for 3-4 anyways.

Why would they have to move Clark when one can play opposite side of him?

Schneider doesn't seem to care much about comp picks after giving up two 4th's, 5th and 7th because of his signings of mediocre vets last off-season.

I'm hoping for Kareem Hunt and Jeffrey Simmons :)
When we run base, Clark plays LEO and Jefferson plays 5-tech. The difference is that the 5-tech lines up inside the TE. Doesn't matter really in pass rushing situations, but it is a big difference while stopping the run. Either Barr or Fowler would probably play SAM for us in base, and then possibly slide down to DE on passing downs. I do think both will be too expensive, but I was also intrigued about Barr as a pass-rusher, altho, that's just way too risky.

How much is Robert Quinn expected to get?

As much as I like McDougald, I'm not sure he really fits our defense. If we were to sign a safety, would it be at SS or FS? McDougald strikes me as neither a difference maker in the box in the running game, nor as a guy that can effectively play single-high.

Rule

Reaction score
35816 F83 D5 AA 4 A55 93 E7 CD20 F3 CE0068

i’d love for us to give him a try, incentive laden of course.

Boom84

Reaction score
massari":3fll3hcr said:
Dante Fowler jr
Anthony Barr

I would love it if the Seahawks could get Fowler Jr and Ansah. The depth and experience of the pass rush would see an immediate upgrade. Losing potential compensatory picks would be worth it for these two.

Atradees

Reaction score
Very important off season. Will be able to take the next step? We ran quite a bit and I think that actually served to mask the weakness of our defense as a whole. TOP. Predicting this FO is pure folly. Last year we went after Shamar Stephen and Tom Johnson as if we wanted revenge for Richardson. Danged odd if you ask me. Will the moves this year net a basis of improvement. or will it just be stop gap one year signings with mediocre free agents? We will see. getting super cute with the draft.........maybe the guy at 21 is A Player.

Fade

Reaction score
Fowler literally played Leo in Gus Bradley's scheme in JAX. He is a Leo, who could also play at Sam if necessary.

He could be the Cliff Avril replacement they have yet to find. I am sure the Seahawks are considering him.

I want them to re-sign Clark and go after Tre Flowers of NE, but if he is too pricey which could very well be the case. They should definitely target Fowler as he would be a nice consolation prize.

Seattle needs to wise up and get 2 Deep at each D-Line spot.

The teams that are going to Superbowls have a Great QB, a great D-Line, or both.

They definitely need another edge guy for sure, but I will be very disappointed if they haven't signed at least 2 D-Lineman in Free Agency.

Their current cap and future cap are in very healthy shape. I have played around with the salary cap calculator, and they can easily afford it while still factoring in extensions for their own upcoming Free Agents.

Reaction score
Barr
Kareem Hunt - Then use Penny as a big trade piece[/quote]

Ansah is a potential target. He's a 5T all the way. But he's also 29. That's really a bit older for Seattle to invest UFA dollars. Typically they go for 25-27 age targets. So older, coming off significant injury

EDIT:

Worth watching.[/quote]
I would be looking at Amos! Wanted him in the draft! I think Safety Corner n De in no particular order are positions that we have to strengthen some how! I enjoyed ur post!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Landon Collins is the best safety not named Thomas.

Preston Smith anyone?

ASJ possibly?

knownone

Reaction score
I don't think Safety is a significant enough need to justify the cost of signing Collins. Amos will likely be out of our price range as well.

You also have to consider the message that would send to the locker room. They weren't willing to pay Earl, but they are willing to pay a free agent (probably) double what they gave Bradley McDougald last offseason? It would also signal that all of the drafts picks they've invested in safties and praised over the last 2 seasons were for naught. Thompson is coming off his first full season as a starter, and Hill showed well in spots before his injury. You have to see what you have in those guys before committing longterm money to a free agent.

If they make a move it will be on a cheap player who they believe in that the rest of the NFL undervalues. I don't know if Riley specifically is that guy, but he at least fits that mold.

Jville

Reaction score
This is an interesting development ....................... [tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1102715900313120769[/tweet]
........................................ the off season games have begun. :)