Bevell Haters Unite!

McGruff

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 01xml.html

Just food for thought as popular opinion continues to throw Bevell under the bus . . . the guy that just engineered the most prolific offense in team history.

“There’s been a lot said about Darrell Bevell and what he’s done with the offense,’’ Baldwin said. “There’s a lot of negative things out there. But I think he doesn’t get enough credit for what he’s done. He covers up a lot of our mistakes as an offense and as players, our inefficiencies. And even though sometimes we are not perfect, he gets all the negative wrapped around that. So I want to make sure I take the time to make sure Bevell gets his due because he’s done so much for our offense in terms of putting us in the right places to be successful even though sometimes we make it difficult on him.’’

[align=]- Doug Baldwin[/align]

Chapman

Reaction score
Wow,
That is a pretty powerful statement from someone on the inside.
I admit I'm anti Bevell, but I can't ignore Baldwins statement

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Eye opening article actually. The only game where I really thought Bevell crapped the bed this year was at KC. His is perhaps one of the least glamorous/most rewarding OC jobs in football.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ohhh....I thought this was the Bevell Haters Unite thread...I see it's "untie".
Happy 2015 everybody!

Ballspiker

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":1u66904p said:
Eye opening article actually. The only game where I really thought Bevell crapped the bed this year was at KC. His is perhaps one of the least glamorous/most rewarding OC jobs in football.

And SD. Lynch had 6 carries.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I have been a big Bevell fan since he came here. I have always thought that he helped hide a young QB's and, at times, a horrific offensive line's deficiencies and accentuates the positives. He developed and utilized the read option (which I can assure you he did not use in Minnesota) and play action to give as much of a break as possible to our passing game.

He also calls games perfectly suited to our defense - heavy on ball control and time of possession to ensure our guys get rest. But he also calls his shots downfield to get the daggers when required. He obviously has also worked big on the scramble game to ensure Russell and the receivers are on the same page when the offensive line is under siege.

Not many other coordinators could do as much with as little.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Come on guys,

Bevell is at best a below average offensive coordinator. Baldwin has nice things to say about Bevell and that is fine but it doesn't make him a fantastic coordinator. I don't think he has bad play designs but I don't think he has any situational awareness at all.

Most everyone will agree that the Seahawks are a running team, a control the clock type of team. Empty backfield is only ok on obvious passing downs, yet Bevell continues to take our strength out of the equation everytime Wilson is back there by himself. Bevell continues to try to pass when he should be looking to run time off the clock especially when we are ahead by more than one score.

While I admire Baldwins loyalty to Bevell, it doesn't change the fact that Russell Wilson's legs, not Bevell's play calling masks the offensive inefficiency of this team. Russell Wilson's legs extend drives which in turn nets yards. The Seahawks defense gives us more drives which in turn nets yards. Our Beast's running style and strength extend drives which in turn nets yards. I am sorry I just don't buy the Bevell is a great coordinator card. I have to tell you what I see with my eyes not with my loyalty to the Seahawks and their staff.

Here is a good link to what Russell has done this year with his legs. Yes, I know some of Russell's runs have been called by Bevell, but lets be real here most of time he is just running for his life.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... 11024&wjb=

For all the people who like Bevell, I am guessing you will get to have him as a coordinator for as long as we are winning. I agree that it is hard for some people to be critical of a guy when we just won a superbowl. I do give Bevell a pass on personnel which he hasn't had a ton to work with.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nobody, including my man Baldwin, will ever change my mind that Bevell is a below-average OC.

Nobody.

kf3339

Reaction score
storm74":96fq21g2 said:
Come on guys,

Bevell is at best a below average offensive coordinator. Baldwin has nice things to say about Bevell and that is fine but it doesn't make him a fantastic coordinator. I don't think he has bad play designs but I don't think he has any situational awareness at all.

Most everyone will agree that the Seahawks are a running team, a control the clock type of team. Empty backfield is only ok on obvious passing downs, yet Bevell continues to take our strength out of the equation everytime Wilson is back there by himself. Bevell continues to try to pass when he should be looking to run time off the clock especially when we are ahead by more than one score.

While I admire Baldwins loyalty to Bevell, it doesn't change the fact that Russell Wilson's legs, not Bevell's play calling masks the offensive inefficiency of this team. Russell Wilson's legs extend drives which in turn nets yards. The Seahawks defense gives us more drives which in turn nets yards. Our Beast's running style and strength extend drives which in turn nets yards. I am sorry I just don't buy the Bevell is a great coordinator card. I have to tell you what I see with my eyes not with my loyalty to the Seahawks and their staff.

Here is a good link to what Russell has done this year with his legs. Yes, I know some of Russell's runs have been called by Bevell, but lets be real here most of time he is just running for his life.

For all the people who like Bevell, I am guessing you will get to have him as a coordinator for as long as we are winning. I agree that it is hard for some people to be critical of a guy when we just won a superbowl. I do give Bevell a pass on personnel which he hasn't had a ton to work with.

^This. You have to be realistic about his ability, or lack thereof.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
storm74":2x1y2cuo said:
Come on guys,

With all due respect, having a top ten DVOA offense for three years straight with no #1 WR, a patchwork offensive line and a young QB is hardly "below average" no matter how much you want to credit you want to siphon away.

Within context, how he has designed this offense around its strengths, put his own ego aside, and calls a game that is not quite what I would call sexy, but is exceptionally effective when considering the franchise's strengths as a whole, makes him an excellent co-ordinator.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Aros":fspq4o62 said:
Nobody, including my man Baldwin, will ever change my mind that Bevell is a below-average OC.

Nobody.

Name 10 better in the league right now. I'll let you off the hook for the other 6 as a New Year's gift.

Largent80

Reaction score
I have to hand it to Bevell for being able to come up with an offense after the Harvin deal. He dials up plays and 50% of the time the play becomes impromptu, due to happy feet, bad blocking or any combo of those things.

There have been times that I question his in game adjustments though, especially in the first halves of games. One also needs to know that Cable also has a big part of the playcalling and adjustments.

And I think that after last night I will Untie one on !!!!

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Aros":192p0zaf said:

Nobody.

I am not going to say he is Bill Walsh - but honestly, does anyone here even have a great concept anymore of what below average is? I think our defense just spoils our understanding of league average. We see how good they are and then expect the offense to keep up. I mean we just gave 27 million to an OLB and hundreds of million of dollars to our defense. Who do we have on offense?

At the end of the day, we had the #5 ranked offense based on DVOA this year. When people begin to understand it isn't his job to draw up sexy Madden plays but to run a complimentary offense to our team strength, which is our defense, they will better appreciate his approach to our offensive philosophy and execution.

That being said, the dude designed an offense perfectly complimentary to our offensive strengths and team needs. What is better than that?

Chawks1

Reaction score
Chapman":y0fjxy0q said:
Wow,
That is a pretty powerful statement from someone on the inside.
I admit I'm anti Bevell, but I can't ignore Baldwins statement

Comments from a pedestrian WR won't change my mind about Bevell.

justafan

Reaction score
I have defended bevel when people call out the playcalling.I think Baldwins call is spot on.The players execution has always been trhe problem in my opinion.This offense will ever be a smooth effecient Walsh type O.Its hard running game with playground ball that suits Wilson.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
He called a fade pattern to Baldwin from the slot which is, as we all know, laughable and literally never works. Worst OC ever.

Latest posts