Bevell Haters Unite!

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1lkdiu8g said:
He called a fade pattern to Baldwin from the slot which is, as we all know, laughable and literally never works. Worst OC ever.

Isn't that the exact play Baldwin burned Champ Bailey on in the Superbowl for a huge gain on third down? Unless I am remembering incorrectly, I am pretty sure that worked to the tune of a near touchdown.

chet380

Reaction score
"With all due respect, having a top ten DVOA offense for three years straight with no #1 WR, a patchwork offensive line and a young QB is hardly "below average" no matter how much you want to credit you want to siphon away."

Plus a Super Bowl last year and HFA this year.

However, the haters say: Ignore the accomplishments and accept that our criticisms could have led to even better results.

Haters gonna hate ...

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Milehighhawk":34oe3h9u said:
Zebulon Dak":34oe3h9u said:
He called a fade pattern to Baldwin from the slot which is, as we all know, laughable and literally never works. Worst OC ever.

Isn't that the exact play Baldwin burned Champ Bailey on in the Superbowl for a huge gain on third down? Unless I am remembering incorrectly, I am pretty sure that worked to the tune of a near touchdown.

Could be. I dunno. I'm only mad about it when it doesn't work which I've been told is literally every time.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
If you take away Wilson's rushing yards this year, our net total yards falls in between Cleveland and Arizona for #23 in the NFL.

We are also 20th in the redzone for scoring TDs this year. I would assume that with Wilson's legs and Lynch's legs, we should be able to come up with an offensive gameplan to score tds instead of fgs.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
storm74":2v1w5ind said:
If you take away Wilson's rushing yards this year, our net total yards falls in between Cleveland and Arizona for #23 in the NFL.

We are also 20th in the redzone for scoring TDs this year. I would assume that with Wilson's legs and Lynch's legs, we should be able to come up with an offensive gameplan to score tds instead of fgs.

If you take away our turnovers, Bevell is a genius and our defense sucks.

rastahawk

Reaction score
I don't know what it is but I find I'm finding it extremely hard to get on board with Bevell. I think he's average to slightly above average if not purely from our ambivalence about him. We all agree that Pete is a great coach, John a manager, Quinn a DC, Lynch a RB, Sherm a CB, etc... When something is good there is very little divide or debate. Something about Bevell makes its hard for me to put him in that upper class and I think because many of our losses are directly attributed to him making bad decisions.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
storm74":lujnif1f said:

Yes if you remove a significant portion of the production of the only guy on offense that touches the ball every time, our offensive numbers decrease? Astounding logic!

Playing the 'what if' game is a fool's errand. It is tough to be an OC in this league, they are such an easy scapegoat, even more-so than the HC. It is a tough gig to attempt to draw up play after play that somehow isn't predictable, but should come up with a predicable result.

They should at least be evaluated on the whole body of work, not by trying to remove some of that body and than say, "ha you see it is missing a leg!"

Foghawk

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":d4xuc8ey said:
That being said, the dude designed an offense perfectly complimentary to our offensive strengths and team needs.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

Go Hawks!

:thumbup:

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":1i9rgn16 said:
storm74":1i9rgn16 said:

Yes if you remove a significant portion of the production of the only guy on offense that touches the ball every time, our offensive numbers decrease? Astounding logic!

Playing the 'what if' game is a fool's errand. It is tough to be an OC in this league, they are such an easy scapegoat, even more-so than the HC. It is a tough gig to attempt to draw up play after play that somehow isn't predictable, but should come up with a predicable result.

They should at least be evaluated on the whole body of work, not by trying to remove some of that body and than say, "ha you see it is missing a leg!"

I will start using Astounding logic, when you start to understand that the bulk of Wilson's rushing yards are because the OC's play failed to work to begin with. Bevell is going to appear to be a good OC, when his quarterback is Houdini and his running back only goes down if you tackle him with 8 players. But whatever, if you like empty backfield plays on 2nd and 3rd and short and if you like throwing the ball with 4 minutes left in the game up by two scores, and you enjoy reverse bubble screens to Walters, then Bevell is your guy.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
So a guy like Sean Payton gets credit for being a genius because has a Hall of Fame QB, a All-Pro TE, plays in a dome and created a pass first scheme which doesn't do quite as well on the road and can't close out games but needs to be high scoring because of his bad defense.

While Bevell gets no credit for implementing an offense which is venue proof, weather proof, that utilizes the strengths of its players and can tighten the noose in the last 6 minutes of every game but is also #11 in passing plays over 20 yards with 54 on the season even though we are last in attempts with 454.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch flipped him off in the middle of a game. To me that says a lot.

Seriously I think he's slow to adjust in game and calls some head scratching plays at times. He has been hurt by a below average pass pro o-line and no red zone target WR. He's been helped my RW's improvisational ability. Overall, average I suppose.

kearly

Reaction score
Sometimes it's hard to know how much to blame Bevell for the incompetence we've seen. For example, Percy Harvin has been on three NFL teams now, and the Seahawks were basically the only ones who had no idea of how they were supposed to use him. Bevell worked with Harvin in 2009 and 2010 in Minnesota and used him well those seasons. I think the difficulties scheming Harvin were evidence of how Seattle's offense is not run by Bevell, but by a Carroll/Cable/Bevell triumvirate. It is likely that the difficulties in using Harvin did not come from Bevell's end.

Point being, it is conceivable that Bevell doesn't have as much control as a typical OC would, and therefore might not always be to blame for the developmental struggles in our offense.

I do think Bevell is the Andy Dalton of OCs, not outright horrible, but you would like to have better. He's been here four years and still hasn't developed a classic dropback passing offense, although he's finally started showing some signs of it with Wilson this season. Still, four years to only begin showing signs of that, three with a super hard-working QB in Wilson, is too long.

He has been notoriously slow to fix problems on offense in the past, though he has gotten better at this in the last couple weeks.

One other thing about Bevell, most OCs have a vision and a blue-print, but Bevell, even at his best, seems to rely on feeling out a defense and adjusting as the game goes along. It has helped Seattle be a strong second half team, but sometimes it means butt ugly first halves like the one we just saw against the Rams.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Reading some of these comments you'd never know the Hawks finished with the #9 offense and #10 scoring offense in the NFL and also have the #1 seed in the NFC...or that the Hawks were the #1 rushing offense (yards and TDs) in the entire NFL.

RiverDog

Reaction score
McGruff":t6fjd7iy said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2025357175_seahawks01xml.html

Just food for thought as popular opinion continues to throw Bevell under the bus . . . the guy that just engineered the most prolific offense in team history.

“There’s been a lot said about Darrell Bevell and what he’s done with the offense,’’ Baldwin said. “There’s a lot of negative things out there. But I think he doesn’t get enough credit for what he’s done. He covers up a lot of our mistakes as an offense and as players, our inefficiencies. And even though sometimes we are not perfect, he gets all the negative wrapped around that. So I want to make sure I take the time to make sure Bevell gets his due because he’s done so much for our offense in terms of putting us in the right places to be successful even though sometimes we make it difficult on him.’’

[align=]- Doug Baldwin[/align]

Whether or not you like Bevell, you have to appreciate what Doug Baldwin said in his defense. I love it when a player goes to bat for his coach. Baldwin didn't have to go into such detail and could have simply said something PC, but the fact that he made a 100+ word statement shows that he's sincere about his comments.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Offensive coordinators are some of the first to be thrown under the bus by fans. I think it's a basic tenet of fandom. My only real complaint is early game drives, where 3 and outs immediately shift the pressure back to the defense. If we could put up a few yards and shift field position it would keep us out of a hole. And generally when I watch, the failure to convert is on the players; a missed pass, a missed catch or block. I'm not sure if it's early game jitters but the players need to come out and execute.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
McGruff":23s5nqdv said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2025357175_seahawks01xml.html

Just food for thought as popular opinion continues to throw Bevell under the bus . . . the guy that just engineered the most prolific offense in team history.

“There’s been a lot said about Darrell Bevell and what he’s done with the offense,’’ Baldwin said. “There’s a lot of negative things out there. But I think he doesn’t get enough credit for what he’s done. He covers up a lot of our mistakes as an offense and as players, our inefficiencies. And even though sometimes we are not perfect, he gets all the negative wrapped around that. So I want to make sure I take the time to make sure Bevell gets his due because he’s done so much for our offense in terms of putting us in the right places to be successful even though sometimes we make it difficult on him.’’

[align=]- Doug Baldwin[/align]
I think we know what Lynch thinks about Bevell :stirthepot:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chet380":5i6z18vy said:
"With all due respect, having a top ten DVOA offense for three years straight with no #1 WR, a patchwork offensive line and a young QB is hardly "below average" no matter how much you want to credit you want to siphon away."

Plus a Super Bowl last year and HFA this year.

However, the haters say: Ignore the accomplishments and accept that our criticisms could have led to even better results.

Haters gonna hate ...
And you Bevell lovers are going to love him unconditionally. Your point?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":3k6qxcix said:
Offensive coordinators are some of the first to be thrown under the bus by fans. I think it's a basic tenet of fandom. My only real complaint is early game drives, where 3 and outs immediately shift the pressure back to the defense. If we could put up a few yards and shift field position it would keep us out of a hole. And generally when I watch, the failure to convert is on the players; a missed pass, a missed catch or block. I'm not sure if it's early game jitters but the players need to come out and execute.

Yup. Go to every board across the land college or pro and the majority will be complaining abou play calling.

Fans would be great at play calling.