Conspiracy Theory Explains Worst Play Call In NFL History.

Do you believe this theory posted below the poll (which insists on going first)?

• Yes

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 77 80.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters

netskier

Reaction score
Finally an explanation that makes sense of the incredibly stupid, dumber-than-dirt, worst play call in Superbowl history. The coaches are all smart, so it wasn't just a mistake, but rather a carefully calculated business decision that was nothing personal, but just a good business practice.

Dave Zirin published on Tuesday a provocative piece in The Nation based upon reports from the Seahawks' locker room. His report makes sense to me, and I wonder if it makes sense to others here. You can read it here: http://m.thenation.com/blog/196697-cons ... -last-play . Here are some quoted excerpts:

Conspiracy theories sprouted: "I'm talking about people inside Seattle's own locker room. I'm talking about texts I received from mainstream writers who don't want to deal with the backlash that would come with writing it up."

"The theory goes that there were major financial, public relations and football reasons for Russell Wilson and not Lynch to be the one who ends the game in glory. If he throws that touchdown for the victory, Wilson is almost certainly the Super Bowl MVP. He gets the commercial. He gets to stand with the commissioner. And oh, by the way, he also gets his new contract, one that will fasten his prime, at only 26 years old, to the Seattle franchise. Marshawn Lynch is also due a new contract. Marshawn Lynch, had he punched that ball over the goal line, would probably get to be the one handed the MVP trophy. Marshawn Lynch also maybe gets on the mic to say Lord knows what."

"The conspiracy theory lies in the fact that Seahawks coach Pete Carroll believed that the last yard the Seahawks needed for that Super Bowl victory was a gimme and, all things being equal, much better to have the iconic Super Bowl moment go to Russell Wilson than to Marshawn Lynch. Coaches setting certain favored players up for glory is as old as football itself. In addition, the politics of race, respectability, public relations, and what's in the best interest of a $2 billion corporation all played into this. That's the theory."

"I contacted someone inside that locker room and they said to me as if on repeat: "Can't believe it. We all saw it. They wanted it to be Russ. They didn't want Marshawn to be the hero.""

"People in the Seattle locker room are saying it. People in the sports media are texting it to me. Only a few people are writing about it. But the fact that people on the inside are even thinking it, in a locker room that earlier this season, as Mike Freeman reported, was roiled by these very kinds of divisions, makes it story enough."

"But does it hold actual weight? Would Pete Carroll risk the Super Bowl for public relations? Who the hell knows?"

--------------------------------

Well I think I know. I saw something not quite right in Pete's facial expressions after the interception. Please review the images yourselves, and tell me what you see. He usually looks quite upset after a turnover, but this time his 'upsetedness' seemed strangely muted. Later, after the game, I thought that I saw something strange in his facial expressions in his comments to the press, which I initially ascribed to Pete protecting Bevell.

Russell said recently that he wants to stay with the Seahawks forever, and earlier said that he wants to eventually own a football team. What better way to do this than throw a pass to win the game, become MVP, earn enormous income from commercial endorsements thereby enabling him to accept a shockingly low, and extremely team-friendly, contract? This minimizes his impact upon the salary cap, which in turn allows us to pay more to keep more good players, to maximize the strength of the team, and maximize the winning of more superbowls.

Corporatism trumps meritocracy, right?

What do you think? I set up a poll below to find out quantitatively, and I look forward to your comments as usual. You can revote at any time as you learn more, and have more time to think about this.

How do you put the poll after the post? Anyone know?

original poster

Reaction score
I personally think it's madness.

Russell wants to own a football team? OK I get that, but would he be able to do that by taking a mediocre contract? No.

IrishNW

Reaction score
I wish I could say honestly say there's no way this is possible, but I cant.

I actually thought about this after the game and sadly it makes alot of sense.

I'm strictly talking about the MVP part btw, the contract part is just a bunch of fluff imo

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Sorry, but this is a HUGE load of horse poo. Don't believe this one bit. They ran a play to maximize their chances with the clock and TOs remaining. Take your conspiracy theory crap somewhere else.

Mick063

Reaction score
If players are saying this, it doesn't matter if it is false, half true, or true. The damage is done.

Bevell has lost the locker room. The team will never play with the same intensity again.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Mick063":s0w49kvt said:
If players are saying this, it doesn't matter if it is false, half true, or true. The damage is done.

Bevell has lost the locker room. The team will never play with the same intensity again.

Nice try

soxhawk

Reaction score
I don't buy it. Wilson would've probably won the MVP whether Lynch punched it in or not. Both had great games. Quick question: why wasnt it PI on Butler for blasting Lockette before catching the ball? I know both players are entitled to the ball, but Lockette was almost flipped upside down while Butler made the catch.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
soxhawk":2vo7ou66 said:
I don't buy it. Wilson would've probably won the MVP whether Lynch punched it in or not. Both had great games. Quick question: why wasnt it PI on Butler for blasting Lockette before catching the ball? I know both players are entitled to the ball, but Lockette was almost flipped upside down while Butler made the catch.

Definitely not PI. Bang bang play. Butler beat Lockette to the spot and ball. Lockette tries to catch it in his body rather than reaching out to "go get the ball". Bevell's criticism was right, he just shouldn't have said it to the media.

Hass2Carlson

Reaction score
How do you explain them giving it to Lynch on first down? He almost scored...what would that mean to your theory? Take your stuff and go

minormillikin

Reaction score
Hass2Carlson":3mskow11 said:
How do you explain them giving it to Lynch on first down? He almost scored...what would that mean to your theory? Take your stuff and go

Marshawn is the Grand Poobah of the Illuminati, and knew not to score.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hass2Carlson":2zmip7rc said:
Exactly... Marshawn let himself get tackled at the 1

Uncle Si

Reaction score
and you wonder why our players have issues with the media?

seriously: Wilson is the face of the franchise. His media sessions are bland yet gobbled up by the reporters. Then he is needled for having too much faith in God. and now this?

Sherman on the other hand is informative and well thought out in his pressers. Yet, when showing true emotion, he's labelled a thug.

Lynch goes about his business. He sees the hypocrisy and plays his own version of it. And for that hes labelled stubborn and called out by the media constantly.

And to tie it altogether, they've now created a story in which all of these issues somehow determined the final play of the Super Bowl.

fans can believe what they want, but I would strongly encourage you all to ignore this type of nonsense. This is what reporters feed on.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Sometimes when people look real hard to figure out something, they come up with the dumbest ideas. This is a case in point.

Expecting sense in a locker room that went through such an emotional swing is silly. The shock will lead to all sorts of comments. Including bringing up divisive selfish thoughts.

To imagine that all sorts of convoluted thinking was going through the coaching staff's mind during the playcall is stupid. Sometimes it's as simple as what coach Pete said. It's just that others (media) can't wrap their head around that.

Not clicking that article.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Hass2Carlson":313e4qgx said:
:13: :13: :13: :13: :13:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So why hand it to Lynch the play before?

It was a stupid and cute call. Nothing more, nothing less.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't doubt that some of the players might be grousing about saying chit like that. In a high stress situation like that, a lot of really strange thoughts go through your mind and come bursting out. It is an ego defense mechanism, a way of displacing blame.

The theory itself is completely baseless and complete garbage. I don't doubt that the league would have been horrified with the prospect of Beast stepping to the podium to accept his MVP trophy, but I don't think for one second that any coach at any level would have a thought like that cross his mind at that point in the game. If the game were in the bag, then yes, I could see a coach allowing a certain player to score or run for more yardage to advance their personal resume. But not at that point in the game.