Glowinski vs Poole

King Dog

Reaction score
What's the reasoning for slotting Poole at LG and Glowinski at RG? Everything I've read about Glowinski makes it sound like he was a steal in the 4th round and the kind of player you could plug in and start his rookie year. Conversely, it sounds like Poole is more of a project.

It seems odd to have him competing against an entrenched starter like Sweezy instead of LG where there's definitely an opening this year.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
King Dog":310x5e99 said:
What's the reasoning for slotting Poole at LG and Glowinski at RG? Everything I've read about Glowinski makes it sound like he was a steal in the 4th round and the kind of player you could plug in and start his rookie year. Conversely, it sounds like Poole is more of a project.

It seems odd to have him competing against an entrenched starter like Sweezy instead of LG where there's definitely an opening this year.

I believe he was a RG in college, and it's natural for him to begin his career where he's comfortable. He'll get his turn at LG (Cable believes in having his lineman practice at many positions) but I doubt he'll be in the mix as a starter unless he really dominates.

He's there to compete against Sweezy at RG and to ultimately replace him if he leaves after this season.

titan3131

Reaction score
King Dog":2vatee17 said:

Part of it is insurance.

Besides Britt none of our line is locked up on contracts for the longer term future.

Bailey is RFA

lem + lewis on short term deals

Okung is up soon.

Sweezy up after this year.

They have stated that bailey is left Guard if we played today. So there isnt really an opening, where as we need depth to be ready to start at any moment at any position.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Good question. I've wondered this as well. For whatever reason, they seem to see Glowinski as a best fit on the right side. Also, I believe Sweezy is a free agent after the upcoming season, or, at least a RFA. With that in mind, Glowinski is something of an insurance policy beyond 2016.

Poole seems more like a project. He does look kind of like the lighter, 2014 James Carpenter. The highlights I've seen of him don't make him look any more potentially versatile than Glowinski. His feet looked kind of heavy to play outside in the NFL.

They both have reputations of being very hard nosed, which is nice. Cable seems genuinely excited about both of them, for what it's worth.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I don't put much stock in where they start a guy as he learns our system. The coaching staff is willing to adjust along the way. So it's not about where a player starts, but where he finishes.

That, and they need to plan for current starters leaving, as others have said. It's possible-to-likely that Sweezy will be too expensive to re-sign after this season.

seacat1

Reaction score
I too have read things that would suggest that Glowinski was the better draft pick but consider that Seattle had an opportunity to draft both and chose to draft Poole at the 131st pick and wait to draft Glowinski 134th. I know not a big difference but there was at least some risk that the player they didn't draft at 131 would not be there when they drafted again. Maybe Seattle has a different view of these players than others.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Sweezy walks... Can't pay everyone and offensive lineman are interchangeable. Glowinski will be his replacement next year. The area that the Hawks are going to trim the fat is the offensive line..

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Can you believe we got Sweeze as a sixth-round dt and converted him into a o-line guy too expensive to keep? Whoever in the Hawks that did that is a genius.

grizbob

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":1qxtqsxl said:
Can you believe we got Sweeze as a sixth-round dt and converted him into a o-line guy too expensive to keep? Whoever in the Hawks that did that is a genius.

I believe it was the same Tom Cable that some around these here parts were calling a bum :roll:

netskier

Reaction score
I think Sweezy stays, else why would Cable feature him so extensively in the recent town hall.

I think Poole is being trained to replace Okung, that is why he is being trained on the left, weighing 323, where we play our heavier linemen. He will become left guard if he does not make it at left tackle.

Glowinsky, 310 lb, is being trained to backup Sweezy, 298 lb,, and I think eventually Britt, as our "right side Bailey", utility backup.

Bailey on the left, and Glowinsky on the right, give us the depth we need against OL injuries.

Time will tell.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect Coach Cable is cobbling together an adequate to better than adequate group of young players. The team has taken a slightly different approach to building the OLine than other teams do and are now seemingly focused on developing their own talent by converting athletes with the toughness and inherent nastiness to play on the OLine.

If the team has an OLine player that Cable really wants to keep my bet it is Sweezy and not Okung. While Okung has value he's not exactly played up to his draft position because of his predisposition to injuries. I'm sure the team will make him an offer and it will but up to Okung if he values staying here over a possibly higher offer elsewhere. I do think the team will want to keep Sweezy and will do what they need to keep him.

I do get a sense there is a developing depth on the OLine and while there is no immediate obvious LT successor to Okung the team may choose to transition to a cheaper player at that position going forward. I'm also encouraged by what we've heard from Coach Cable from the Town Hall and his latest OTA appearances.

Sure hope my sense of how things are going as far as depth and their development is right.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I realized upon posting that my above post was somewhat off topic. If you were however to listen to Coach Cable during the Town Hall and his OTA presser as to why these guys are practicing where they are presently you'd probably have your answer which is the team is putting them where they think the specific player has the best chance of initial success than to move them around a lot just yet. They want to see how well they move and what they can do at positions most familiar to them selves before the constructive destruction of bad habits and the creation of new habits begins seriously, not that that isn't already happening.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2endt4ij said:

And now Cable is talking him up and comparing him physically to Hutchinson.

I honestly think they know they can't keep Sweezy (which blows my mind as he's still pretty bad in pass pro), so now the new narrative will be "work your ass off for us and produce, and if we can't pay you, someone will".

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawks46":kz4chdwa said:
Lords of Scythia":kz4chdwa said:

And now Cable is talking him up and comparing him physically to Hutchinson.

I honestly think they know they can't keep Sweezy (which blows my mind as he's still pretty bad in pass pro), so now the new narrative will be "work your ass off for us and produce, and if we can't pay you, someone will".

I believe Cable will do his damnedest to push for keeping Sweezy; ultimately, I don't think the Wilson contract will allow us to keep him, especially when we have all these rookie interior linemen chomping at the bit.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All I can say about the contract stuff is the team been able to keep most everyone of the guys they really wanted to keep, and i suspect that fced with a choice between Sweezy and Okung next off season Okung would be the one with the short straw.

Time will tell, but one of the inevitable things about being a top team is that you eventually can't pay everybody and lose some talent. Hopefully our young talent is capable of stepping up.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The Seahawks operating principle is that guys like Sweeze are replaced by the next generation of cheap young recontextualized talent--you keep the best guys and just keep the draft/development machine rolling forward.

McGruff

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":16kmnyfk said:
The Seahawks operating principle is that guys like Sweeze are replaced by the next generation of cheap young recontextualized talent--you keep the best guys and just keep the draft/development machine rolling forward.

The question is how do they consider Sweezy, Listening to the coaching staff, especially Cable, they consider him in the conversation for the best Guard in the NFL.

I think this case will be a lot more like Chancellor and Wright. A guy who fans underrate but coaches love and the FO will pay.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":1ccz0ag9 said:
Plus Sweezy will be RFA eligible, so they can put a high round tender on him for a mid-vet one year contract and call it good.

In 2015 it was 3.3 million for a 1st round tender and 2.3 million for a 2nd round tender. For instance, Jermaine Kearse received a second round tender.

Can you refresh my recollection on how the tender process works with someone who is an unrestricted free agent, i.e. more than three accrued seasons? The links I am seeing show Sweezy as "UFA" next season.

OMIgvqx

Edit -- I see you changed your post, so I guess Sweezy cannot be tendered next year. In light of that, this may in all likelihood be his last season as a Seahawk.