Going cheap on the offensive line...

Rob12

Reaction score
...might be our kryptonite this year.

Notice I said MIGHT... I'm not judging the unit after one game against a beastly defensive line.

But it was bad today. I think one of two of the sacks was on Russ. But he was hurried and hit all day.

I just don't know if they can sustain a poor offensive line this year. Britt has no business starting for any NFL team. He got smoked all day long - by back up DE's. Sims smoked him more than once.

Just don't know, guys.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Trading for a Pro Bowl OL is getting close to as tough as trading for a good QB.

OL play is garbage across the league. Becoming increasingly harder to find solid OL, let alone Pro Bowl. Good idea in theory. Not practical in reality.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think it killed us.

Our game has been move the chains with the run game, that tires the defense out (which is probably a contributing element to what makes Russ so good in the later quarters) and the time it takes on the field also allows our defense to rest - which allows them to ball out when on D.

Now, because our guys are lighter and faster, they tire more quickly which means missed tackles.

And the lack of production from the run game means Russ was a target they could tee off on, since the LBs don't have to stay home to be there to stop Lynch.

Our entire system relied on a great run game and we decided a bunch of guys from off the street could do it too. Big mistake that I think we will be paying dearly for all year.

Also part of why Russ didn't look like Russ today, nobody had to honor Lynch as a threat at all.

Maulbert

Reaction score

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Maulbert":3sjqnitm said:
Mtjhoyas":3sjqnitm said:
Trading for a Pro Bowl OL is getting close to as tough as trading for a good QB.

OL play is garbage across the league. Becoming increasingly harder to find solid OL, let alone Pro Bowl. Good idea in theory. Not practical in reality.

Blame Tom Cable. He'd rather have defensive conversion projects over experience.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/5/12/8594147/tom-cable-seahawks-kristjan-sokoli-nfl

a smart man could of had Evan Mathis and Unger on this team....

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Pete is a defensive coach and like every other defensive head coach I've ever seen he believes the offenses number one priority is not to put his defense in an awkward position. He has used most of our cash to build his defense and as stated there is only so much to go around.

Today our offensive line was sooo over matched that the Ram safety's were able to creep up and dominate our short passing game and defend against Russell's and Lynch's running. Our offensive staff is going to have to go back to the drawing board because things have changed. Our D can no longer carry us so they can't hog all the resources. If our staff can't scheme some protections and plays that allow us to stretch the field then some highly paid member of our defense will have to go to make room for an NFL starting quality offensive linemen.

Now given time our current collection of converted DT's, TE, and assorted cut bait from other teams practice squads might gel enough to give Russell a clean pocket to throw from a few times a game but our offensive guru will still have to design a play that gets a receiver down field instead of running them right into the coverage.

northseahawk

Reaction score
This oline in addition to the most conservative qb in the history plus a horrible OC is just a bad combo.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":5uemtvsb said:
Maulbert":5uemtvsb said:
Mtjhoyas":5uemtvsb said:

Blame Tom Cable. He'd rather have defensive conversion projects over experience.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/5/12/8594147/tom-cable-seahawks-kristjan-sokoli-nfl

Enough with the Unger BS. Making the trade was the right call. Max Unger showed that he cannot stay on the field. He missed 10 games last season. You couldn't count on him to be there week in and week out. I bully our line too, but the Unger talk is idiotic. If you can't be on the field for large chunks of time, you can't be counted on. So just stop.

a smart man could of had Evan Mathis and Unger on this team....

brimsalabim

Reaction score
northseahawk":1o5lx262 said:
This oline in addition to the most conservative qb in the history plus a horrible OC is just a bad combo.
you don't really know much about Russell Wilson do you? When we drafted him his former OC Paul Chryst said we better have a good game plan because Russell with execute it exactly as its drawn up. Russell isn't conservative the game plan he is asked to run is. The next step in his development as a QB will need to be understanding when to ignore the coaches wishes get away from the game plan. He has to understand that with his new contract he is the man and this is his offense. Bevel and even Pete would get fired before JS and Paul Allen part with him.

Wartooth

Reaction score
Well, apparently since we've had a handful of winning seasons...
If we lose the opener against a stout Rams defense in their house, the season is a wash right?
I mean, this team NEVER starts out slow, and gets rolling when it matters!
SMH

Polk738

Reaction score
Getting good quality lineman is becoming harder and harder to find, even when Eric Fisher and Luke Joekyl went 1 and 2 in the draft a couple years ago they didn't look any better than any of OUR lineman.