Trimming the fat.

Rob12

Reaction score
Just take a trip with me down hypothetical lane.

Obviously, this team has some serious holes. Looking to next season, how should those holes be filled?

We need to clear some cap room. In doing that, some key players might need to be jettisoned. So my question is which players would you be okay with losing?

For me, my two players are Michael Bennett and Kam Chancellor.

That's painful to type, but I really think these are the guys. Both are very instrumental in what we do on defense, but if we don't find a way to improve our line via free agency, I fear our offense will continue to bring this team down. Okung is a FA after the season. Britt looks to me like roster filler and depth. Nowak is green and has miles to go. Sweezy can't pass protect and is also a FA. Gilliam shows promise.

We can't keep running these guys out there. I think this is an offense that can no longer withstand a poor line. I don't know if Beast is declining but it's painfully obvious that this offense is tribe to get centered more on our QB. Our QB that is currently on pace to get sacked 60+ times. And being at the game today, the line just doesn't get enough push in the running game, either. This line needs to be upgraded to get it to at least a respectable level. Maybe then our QB can begin to trust rather than showing the signs and symptoms of David Carr syndrome.

Why Kam? I think he's one of the greatest Seahawks ever, but his holdout, IMO, still affects this team greatly. He said previously that he'll want his contract looked at once the season is done. So far, he's not deserving of that. He's playing pretty well, but the rust is there. He's blowing assignments abs missing tackles. And he put himself above his team and I think the effects of that are still lingering.

Michael Bennett? He'll be 30, he wants more money, and for as good as he is, his mental mistakes hurt the team. He is all in on a the business side of things. I'm not saying that's bad, but I think we can move on without him. It would put a lot of pressure on Frank Clark, but I think he can handle it.

I hope a culture can be fostered here that sends the clear message that if you don't want to be here, if you're vocal about your financial situation, and show even minimal signs of putting yourself above the team, you're putting yourself at risk to get shipped out. It would be stealing a bit of how NE does things, but I think it would work. This team cannot turn into a collection of individuals. If that happens, what's been built over the past three years will quickly become undone.

Do I make sense? I'm just spitballing here. We need to attack positions of need and actually put some resources into them.

AusSeahawk

Reaction score
Agree with Bennett, not Kam.

Don't think Kearse will be here next season.

As for the OL, wouldn't surprise me if we worked a trade in the coming weeks.

massari

Reaction score
If it's true that Lynch has lost a couple steps and it's not just the injuries and/or OL he's dealing with that's causing his lack of production to date, he could be a candidate since it would save 6.5M with 5M in dead money.

My list:
Cary Williams
Lynch
Bennett
Graham-if he doesn't start putting up numbers consistently

Let Irvin, Kearse, T-Jack walk. Sign a backup QB for 500K

Hopefully they can re-sign Okung and Mebane on home town discounts.

EDIT: I'd only trade Bennett+Graham if it's for high draft picks and Frank Clark starts to show his potential.

Steve2222

Reaction score
If I were the GM in the offseason....

- Re-hire Bradley as DC after he gets fired
- Fire Cable and Bevell
- Work a trade or flat out release Bennett. He's cancer.
- Work a trade or flat out release Chancellor. He's cancer.
- Let Irvin walk in free agency. He's cancer.
- Release Marshawn. Though I'm pretty sure he's going to retire.
- Release Cary Williams
- Let Okung walk in free agency. He's the offenses worst enemy.

Priorities in the draft have to be OL, CB, S, and WR. Whatever happens we cannot neglect the OL.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Steve2222":4tpbv8zm said:

- Re-hire Bradley as DC after he gets fired
- Fire Cable and Bevell
- Work a trade or flat out release Chancellor. He's cancer.
- Let Irvin walk in free agency. He's cancer.
- Release Marshawn. Though I'm pretty sure he's going to retire.
- Release Cary Williams
- Let Okung walk in free agency. He's the offenses worst enemy.

Priorities in the draft have to be OL, CB, S, and WR. Whatever happens we cannot neglect the OL.
Agree with Bennett. Disagree with Chancellor. Marshawn gonna retire I believe. Cary Williams is no Maxwell, bring Browner back. Agree with Okung. Kris Richard might be in over his head, Bradley back I don't think will be a fix.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Get rid of all the players that don't want to be part of the "team".

Right now thats a lot of guys.

rcaido

Reaction score
If we continue to have a disappointing season then we should blow up the team. We already have our core players:

Untouchable - Wilson, Wagner, Sherman, Thomas, & our two MVP kickers...

Our main concerns are the following players.
Kam - Too much distractions, if there is no holdout next season then we keep him
Bennett - I love Bennett even with all his penalties. I say we keep him
Irvin - I think he is misunderstood and wants to stay here but we honestly cant afford him
Lynch - I really hope he retires by the end of season or request a trade, i hate for FO to ship him out or release him
Graham - If we trade Kam or Lynch is gone, we keep Graham. If we dont, i say we trade him to get some Oline protection
Okung - If we get some decent Oline i say we sign him cheap, he's not playing great this year. If he asking for probowl money dont resign

If we address the O-line, i think our mediocre wide receivers is good enough & we dont need to find new ones. With Lynch probably gone, we probably should change up our playcalling. Allow Russ to take chances.

The main thing we really need to address though is Cary Williams. I was really worried when we lost Maxwell & was going to be stuck with Simon. Then this guy is just as bad. We pay for a reliable replacement & draft one too.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Guessing Kam is gone as he'll still want more $ and it ain't there
Cary Williams was a one year rent a player so he'll be gone
Bennett gone because PC and JS simply have to get a handle on the me first crap. Another reason Kam will be gone
Irvin gone for the same reason
Okung gone because he'll want Pro Bowl $ and he's only a bit above average
Marshawn retires
Graham stays after continuing to produce more and more this year. Right or wrong, he will no longer be asked to block much either.
Sweezy re-signed in the interest of some sort of continuity

So then, Pete and John gonna have their work cut out for them in the draft and FA.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You just named the two players that are arguably still playing their guts out the hardest on D, along with Earl.

If I'm trimming the fat on D, I'm going with Sherman and Wagner. Neither has played up to their contract, especially Sherman. Dude looks like hot garbage right now. Wagner? Idk, he's ok, but not close to his 2013/2014 form.

Our D-line would be in big trouble right now without Bennett. Stupid offsides and personal foul penalties aside, he's been the most consistent D-lineman making plays.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well to start, I'd agree with:

Williams. He's better than anyone younger we have in reserve, but not much. He's not worth what we're paying him.

Chancellor. I think the crap he pulled really torpedoed the teams' attitude and screwed up the defense. He also didn't do himself any favors, as he's played pretty badly. I actually saw him get trucked 2 weeks ago by a RB.

Okung. He's not bad, but I wouldn't pay him top money. 6 mil/year would make me happy, not sure it's realistic.

Disagree with:

Bennett. He's a force. I know he's a dumbass, but since the GB game he's really cut down on the offsides. There isn't anyone in the league right now that can duplicate what he does exactly, which is line up on the inside and get instant penetration, and slide over to the outside on running plays when needed, also blowing them up.

Irvin. I know he's said some dumb stuff but when the regular season started, he's shut up and played ball. He's not always visible except on sacks, but he sets the edge very well in the run game. Remember KC last year ? Charles (and others on other teams in that stretch) just ripping us up going off tackle and catching the edge. You're not seeing that this year. To give an example of his versatility, he sacks Newton on one play, and the very next play, he's 25 yards downfield with tight coverage on Olson for an incompletion (tigher coverage than Sherm and Thomas had on Olson at the end of the game). He's likely going to get more in FA than we can afford, but if we can afford to pay him, I would.

I think Sweezy is going to get over paid, and we should let him. He's just not that great and I believe we see his ceiling at this point.

The cap is going up next year. It's a knee jerk reaction from fans to want to spend some money to fix things, but I think we can fix a lot of problems via the draft and some shrewd FA moves. That said, right now, we're way over spending on a defense that can't hold a 4th quarter lead.

Tical21

Reaction score
No way!! I can't imagine life without Michael Bennett. IF Clark has a strong rest of the season, I'm okay with it I guess, as we haven't been able to draft anyone else to replace anybody for several years, but Kam? We saw what life was like without Kam. Who are you going to replace him with? Unfortunately, until we can hit on some guys in the draft, we don't have the luxury of cutting our best players.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Steve2222":23dyxe5j said:

Please explain to me how Bennett continues to be a cancer. He said in the offseason that he wanted more money (note: lots of players do this every year). He showed up to camp on time, shut up about his contract (when asked about it in interviews he says he should be paid more but he has NOT brought it up on his own), and has played his ass off. He has been almost unblockable at times. He is ultra aggressive, which is why you get the stupid penalties, but you have to take a little of the bad with the great.

NONE, I repeat NONE of this displays that he is a cancer to this team. This team needs Bennett, and if it came down to it I'd keep him over Kam based on what Kam did to torpedo this season with his holdout.

mrt144

Reaction score
He's 30, he commits asinine penalties and he wants to get paaaaaaaid. It's not so much that I don't appreciate his play, it's that he is going to diminish while not rectifying his boneheads while taking up huge cap space.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3tzyckhy said:
Steve2222":3tzyckhy said:

Please explain to me how Bennett continues to be a cancer. He said in the offseason that he wanted more money (note: lots of players do this every year). He showed up to camp on time, shut up about his contract (when asked about it in interviews he says he should be paid more but he has NOT brought it up on his own), and has played his ass off. He has been almost unblockable at times. He is ultra aggressive, which is why you get the stupid penalties, but you have to take a little of the bad with the great.

NONE, I repeat NONE of this displays that he is a cancer to this team. This team needs Bennett, and if it came down to it I'd keep him over Kam based on what Kam did to torpedo this season with his holdout.

Thank you. Bennett is one of the last guys I'd get rid of.

Ill say lynch and Bruce Irvin.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
This will be a much different team next year, I know that for sure.

In my opinion
Gone:

Lynch
Sweezy
Okung
Cary Williams
Kearse
Irvin

At minimum. Lynch retires, Sweezy and Okung somehow get paid in FA, we cut Williams cause he is terrible, Kearse walks because he is a good but not great WR who we can replace and Irvin is going to ATL to get PAID. We cant afford him. We Keep Kam and Bennett. We saw what life without Kam is and it was bad. Then again he has looked bad this season minus a couple good plays. Bennett is a dumbass sometimes but that dude is a monster.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I say get rid of Bennett because the man is too much of a powder keg. He's an absolute force, but he is so self destructive and one of the most undisciplined players in the league. Him not being able to correct his off side issues and that stunt he pulled against Dalton just proves he lacks serious mental make up.

You think his contract disgruntlement was bad the past two years? Can you imagine what it's going to be like this summer? I wasn't onboard with it before, but if a players not happy with his contract, send his ass packing. You think a Belicheck run team would let his players hold him hostage, no matter how good that said player is?

If you're unhappy about being a Seahawk, then GTFO. Next man up. And this team is t going to do anything until we finally legitimately address the OL. Watching our OL is sickening. Get rid of these dudes that don't want to be here and build an at least somewhat respectable OL instead of this comically bad one we have now.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
People actually wanting to let go of Bennett and Kam make me happy they're not GM.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":27sh6eys said:
People actually wanting to let go of Bennett and Kam make me happy they're not GM.

And people who can't make difficult decisions which it appears you don't possess make me happy they're not GMs either.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2o0npypt said:

Can we retire this line yet? I see it 20 times a day, and it adds zero to the conversation.