Is there an All-22 of Bennett's hit that drew the fine?

HawkGA

Reaction score
I know there are several threads with different all 22 plays. Is there one of Bennett's hit? If not, can one of our awesome people do it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
The broadcast had a better angle than the all 22 did. Bennett seemed to stumble forward and tried to jump at Cassell as he did.

dxlXsqB.gif

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Thanks. Doesn't look like he was really pushed at all like I thought it did watching it live.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Wasn't pushed, no. Hard to see it well with gifs because the quality is diminished but also didn't look like he was in total control of his balance or momentum.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
No but it was great.

In exchange for 15 yds, we pretty much rendered their QB immobile. We removed completely the option for him to roll out, throw a long bomb and somehow end up scoring. And that was the type of thing that was killing us in those 'opponent comes from behind' games we kept losing.

Sure we gave up 15 yds but since their QB was limping after that hit - the chances of them mounting a successful drive went way down.

It was great. And I don't even consider it dirty football because that is what real football was like even 5 years ago.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":267r1qip said:
No but it was great.

In exchange for 15 yds, we pretty much rendered their QB immobile. We removed completely the option for him to roll out, throw a long bomb and somehow end up scoring. And that was the type of thing that was killing us in those 'opponent comes from behind' games we kept losing.

Sure we gave up 15 yds but since their QB was limping after that hit - the chances of them mounting a successful drive went way down.

It was great. And I don't even consider it dirty football because that is what real football was like even 5 years ago.

I guess you are a big fan of the Rams and Jeff Fisher. I personally didn't think it was dirty but by todays rules it is. With your logic we should cheap shot any QB if we are behind or they are coming back. Great policy. Lets make you head coach.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It sure looked pretty innocent to me, there was no intent to hit the QB late or to injure and he was falling forward to try to get to the QB. $20 K seems a tad steep.

lobohawk

Reaction score
He lunged and you actually see his leading shoulder hit the thigh, but the rest of the hit came as he slid down. Could go the other way, but call was understandable in today's environment of protecting QBs.

seahawks08

Reaction score
So here is why I feel this is so difficult. You are going full speed after the QB, so you are putting all your thrust forward as you are falling down, and then the QB throws the ball, how are you supposed to hold yourself back from the momentum. This is as stupid as a rule I can think of. I think to be safe, we should just come up with a rule not to touch the QB for the first 5 seconds or something.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Add to this that the OL is allowed to push you in the back as soon as you get by them.

It's one of the more hypocritical rules in the league: in a move to protect QBs, defensive players have to hit to a strike zone, and really control their momentum. At the same time, OLmen are allowed to push DLmen in the back, many times propelling them towards the QB out of control, and out of any semblance of control they would have had.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen DL pushed to the ground from behind once they get by the OT. I also can't recall how many times a guy has been pushed into a QB, then flagged for it (and recently, fined for it), but it's a LOT.

Smellyman

Reaction score
jammerhawk":gphd081p said:
It sure looked pretty innocent to me, there was no intent to hit the QB late or to injure and he was falling forward to try to get to the QB. $20 K seems a tad steep.

Doesn't matter what you think intent was, can't hit a qb low. Them are the rules.